The Worse Band(s) You've Ever Seen in a Live Environment

The one time I saw them I enjoyed them as well. Hmm...

I love Holy Grail, but when we saw them, I was almost trampled when one of their guitarists decided to stage dive. He almost landed on my head! I wasn't angry (I'm used to being in the front) but Josh (my guitarist) almost murdered the dudes around me. It's always nice to have a bodyguard! :D

So I mean, is it because both of these bands aren't your cup of tea musically? I mean Suffocation to me was arguably the best death metal show I have ever seen. Those guys just know how to rock it on stage and show their many hundreds of imitators how it's done. Not to mention Frank's stage antics are hilarious. I actually never saw ZPZ yet because of how expensive their tickets usually are, but I've seen live videos and have heard from friends that they are absolutely incredible live, channeling Zappa himself without missing a beat.

I'm curious about ZPZ also. Admittedly, I was NEVER a fan of Zappa in my younger years, didn't get it, didn't understand it, really disliked it. Years later seeing his son and band literally KILL IT - it made it all very clear to me the genius that he was.

-A

1. Van Halen reunion tour. Simply abysmal. Plagued throughout with sound issues. At one point my date said "really, when are they going to play old songs that I know" - they were playing Running with the Devil at the time. FOH crashed during Eddie's and of set guitar solo leaving only the monitors and he was unaware as the crowd went from silent to booing while we watched the board reboot.

2. Motley Crew's second Carnival of Sins tourstop in Atlanta (vince broke his foot during song 3 of the first one). The crowd was silent and dead throughout while the band went through the motions completely uninspired with no one 30 and up falling for Tommy's 7th grade nursery rhymes anymore.

3. Any TSO tour, purely because it is limited to photography by local daily papers only, from the soundboard, and I've never been approved to shoot - of course the reality is this is one of the most spectacular tours each year. ;-).

-A

I'm curious about ZPZ also. Admittedly, I was NEVER a fan of Zappa in my younger years, didn't get it, didn't understand it, really disliked it. Years later seeing his son and band literally KILL IT - it made it all very clear to me the genius that he was.

-A

ZPZ is THE shit that killed Elvis..... Only got to see FZ once in 88 on the last tour he ever did, but Dweezil & the ZPZ band are definitely worth seeing, and worth the price of admission. :headbang:

Sentenced when they toured with In Flames and Dark Tranquillity. Maybe in 2004-ish..?
Motley Crue's Grand Rapids, MI show that was being filmed for a DVD. Around 2006, I think.
Slayer at Ozzfest, whatever year that was.
Dimmu at Ozzfest, only because their sound was SO quiet, like listening to a radio 1/2 mile away.
Soundgarden at Lollapalooza 2010.

I was completely NOT into D:S:O's music prior to PP IX. Didn't do ANYTHING for me as a recording, and I figured I'd tour the merch tables during their set. Live I thought they were a lot of fun - really enjoyable. Still didn't buy any of their stuff, but I enjoyed the show.

Worst set I've ever heard by a band I expected more from: Dokken opening for AC/DC at Wembley in 1988. Oh, God, they were horrid. If Pilsen had switched to drums, and if Lynch took over vocals, it could not have been worse. I saw them open for Dio in 1984, and they were GREAT - I was completely disappointed years later.

Seeing Dokken NOW, of course, is just a lot of fun, and an excuse to drink cheap beer.

That's interesting and something I didn't realize from where I was at the time.

Of the years I've been to PPUSA, the most crowded I've seen the "bowl" was Kamelot this past year.

The most crowded I've seen it was for JOP. Hands down. Granted, many times I'm already on the floor well before the band starts so I don't see how packed it gets throughout sets. This particular time though, I remember I was coming in late. Rhere were no less than 8-10 people in every doorway and the floor was a sea of heads. I knew it would have only been a matter of minutes before security told the doorway people to move along so I knew I could stand there anyway. I walked back out and watched the set on the lobby monitor rather than fight the insanity that was inside :lol: :bah:

I don't doubt that Kamelot was jammed. I am thankful I got to spend that set in the photo pit instead of battling the throng.

I forgot about the most recent one (what a brain fart). When I saw Alestorm open up for Kamelot at the Masquerade a couple of months ago. It was like watching Spinal Tap. But in majorly bad way. Stupid lyrics mixed with sloppy performance. "Pirate Metal" needs to get lost at sea.

I haven't read all 9 pages of this thread so I don't know if they have been mentioned or not, but the worst band I saw live (and they sucked major ass all 3-4 times I saw them) was Ratt. We walked out on them after a few songs the last time because we really only went to see the opening band, Kix.

This. I can't remember if I have posted on this thread, but I think I did and listed Ozzy right after he hired Jake. I must have been repressing my memories of seeing Ratt suck both times I saw them. (Hey, there wasn't much to do as a teenager in Huntsville, AL!) Stephen Pearcy proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he can't sing a lick.

I forgot about the most recent one (what a brain fart). When I saw Alestorm open up for Kamelot at the Masquerade a couple of months ago. It was like watching Spinal Tap. But in majorly bad way. Stupid lyrics mixed with sloppy performance.

While I do love Alestorm, and they are fun live, they are sloppy as fuck live.

"Pirate Metal" needs to get lost at sea.

:lol: While I don't 100% agree with that statement, it is fuckin' hilarious! "New" Pirate metal needs to get lost at sea while the Original, Classic Pirate Metal band (RUNNING WILD) needs to be resurrected from the depths of the ocean!

Hard one hummm, AngraRULES. There were so many lol
I can remember of:

Iwrestledabearonce (I thought they were joking on stage, seriously)
Oceano - just plain awful
Pearl Jam - I swear I tried not to sleep
Actually most, but not all, of the DeathCore/MathMetal/TechnicalSchizophrenic call what you will metal acts concerts were a bad.
Opeth - Sorry guys.

and the list goes on and on.

/facepalm.

I am not a Pearl Jam fan at all. I have tried many, many times over the years (hell, just listened to the first half of Ten last night) to try and get into them, but it just doesn't work out. However, based on what I've seen and read, the setlist mixing, the live recordings, etc, Simon's comment is spot on!! Not sure why you'd facepalm at that.

I am not a Pearl Jam fan at all. I have tried many, many times over the years (hell, just listened to the first half of Ten last night) to try and get into them, but it just doesn't work out. However, based on what I've seen and read, the setlist mixing, the live recordings, etc, Simon's comment is spot on!! Not sure why you'd facepalm at that.

Well, the only reason is because the one time I saw Pearl Jam live, I was extremely disappointed and thought they sucked... :lol: Didn't help that I am not a fan either...

But hey, if you're saying they're currently an awesome live band, I believe you.

But hey, if you're saying they're currently an awesome live band, I believe you.

I am a fan of their early stuff (stopped listening after Vitalogy came out). But, I have never been able to catch them live. The only thing that confuses me is that I heard that is what made them so popular in the early days was their live performances. Kinda like Dave Matthews (who I personally think sux ass and would never pay to see him play). The live shows and excessive touring provided them with a pretty good following. But maybe they have lost something over the years and they are no longer what they were.

I am a fan of their early stuff (stopped listening after Vitalogy came out). But, I have never been able to catch them live. The only thing that confuses me is that I heard that is what made them so popular in the early days was their live performances. Kinda like Dave Matthews (who I personally think sux ass and would never pay to see him play). The live shows and excessive touring provided them with a pretty good following. But maybe they have lost something over the years and they are no longer what they were.

The thing is I'm not even a huge Pearl Jam fan. Sure, I like a number of their albums, but I tend to be a much bigger fan of their live shows, which tend to be complete marathons. Hell, I didn't even start giving them the light of day until the year I worked Lollapalooza in 2005 and they were playing.

Treephort-Local area Atl I dont know what punk band, but the thing is most of them were in horrible costumes, the lead was dressed up like Winnie the Pooh, and there was just some randam guy dressed up like a lobster running around and spitting on people.

It was not even close to Halloween