Top Bass Vocalists?

Andreas Hedlund aka Vintersorg. Love the Otyg stuff!

I know it's not metal, but anything that Mark Lanegan does is a little slice of heaven to me.

Sorry Swano is no bass, neither is Garm.

I don't know of any natural bass metal singers.

There is. Bass is lowest, then baritone, then tenor. You'd have to know the ranges to know the difference. But usually when people think a singer is a bass, the singer is actually a baritone. Johnny Cash, was in-between the two .

Basses are the lowest singing range. It can be from C2 (lowest) to the A above middle C (highest extreme.) Most basses sing between E2 and E4. Baritone singers generally range between F2-F4, so ApolloFC is correct, the difference is, technically, within two notes. However, you'll find Bass singers usually have a different tonal quality to their vocals than Baritones.

Bass singer:

Boris Christoff as Mephistopheles

Baritone singer:

Simon Keenlyside as Papageno

Obviously, these are opera singers, but I think each singer demonstrates well the difference between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean even though OP said not to mention Peter Steele, the thread really should've just ended with him. The most mournfully powerful and deep voice in metal. "Everything Dies" makes me tear up now when I listen to it. :(

I mean even though OP said not to mention Peter Steele, the thread really should've just ended with him. The most mournfully powerful and deep voice in metal. "Everything Dies" makes me tear up now when I listen to it. :(

I didn't say NOT to mention him, just that he shouldn't be the ONLY answer.

That he played bass guitar (not counting when he played what looked like a cello in the B#1 video) is coincidental.

When I think bass, I think of that dude in The Oak Ridge Boys. I can't think of anyone in metal that sings that low as their normal voice.