Your 2010 TOP TEN LIST

Thank you.
It is quite DISTURBing indeed!

Even though I think they are corny soccer mom metal, the dude has a killer voice. I always wish they weren't either so "nu-metal" or "nu-AOR" and instead kept the industrial vibes and ditched the animal noises and corny lyrics and were more like a modern Depeche Mode or NIN. Would've been way cooler.

Interesting... we made it to Post 31 before someone case a vote for Kamelot. Not sure if that says more about the new album or the changing tastes of the forum.

I'm quite surprised as well. Yes, their album is quite different than a lot of their previous work, but the album itself is still really strong (at least I think so). I think a lot of the forumers probably reminisce over the Epica days, so my guess would be that the forumers HAVEN'T changed taste. Just speculation.

I'm also surprised the new Anathema album hasn't made more lists. I know they don't fall into progressive metal or power metal, but a lot of other bands I wouldn't consider progpower staples made people's lists.

Even though I think they are corny soccer mom metal, the dude has a killer voice. I always wish they weren't either so "nu-metal" or "nu-AOR" and instead kept the industrial vibes and ditched the animal noises and corny lyrics and were more like a modern Depeche Mode or NIN. Would've been way cooler.

Interesting description. I too think the dude has a cool voice, but I just can't stand their music. Every single song for the most part sounds the same and I have trouble differentiating between them.

1. Helloween - "7 Sinners"
2. Slough Feg - "The Animal Spirit"
3. Grave Digger - "The Clans Will Rise Again"
4. Angra - "Aqua"
5. Zuul - "Out of Time"
6. Therion - "Sitra Ahra"
7. Axevyper - S/T
8. Skelator - "Death to All Nations"
9. Dawnbringer - "Nucleus"
10. Gamma Ray - "To The Metal"

some that almost made it were the new Atlantean Kodex, Freedom Call, White Wizzard, and the new Shaaman.

I thought you didn't like the new Grave Digger. I could've sworn you said that a couple of weeks ago. Am I mistaken or did it grow on you?

I posted on facebook when I got it that I heard it wasnt good but I never had a chance to listen to it......I actually really like....one of thier better disc in my book

Ah. Gotcha. Yeah, it'll probably be in my top 10 as well. I just know I'll have a lot more listening to do before I come to a finalized list. The only thing I know for sure is that Overkill/Accept/Blind Guardian will be there.

I haven't been able to get a while lot of music this year, but these sorts of lists are absolutely great for checking out new material/bands that are new-to-me. As it stands, I think I could only really pull a top five, because I haven't had a huge amount of time to give 'dedicated' listening (Listen to music while doing nothing else.)

But here are those five, along with what I feel to be the standout tracks

Zoroaster - Matador (Ancient Ones, Black Hole.)
High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine (Bastard Samurai, Title Track)
Ihsahn - After (On the Shores, A Grave Inversed)
Carach Angren - Death Came through a Phantom Ship (And the consequence Macabre, Van Der Decken's Triumph.)
Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy (Termination Proclamation, And the Maiden Spoke)

Some tentative titles, which i'd have to give at least oine more listen before adding or subtracting:

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Rotting Christ - AEALO
Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra
Melechesh -The Epigenesis
The Sword - Warp Riders
White Wizzard - Over the Top

As far as compiling lists goes, I know specific category lists are often made of "Well it was a great album and it was released this year" type jobs, but how many of them are absolute must-haves, outside of simply haivng been good, and released this year?

Not too many of these will be making my final top 10, this is just the prog rock/metal stuff.

1. Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
2. Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
3. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Part I
4. Kingcrow - Phlegethon
5. Seventh Wonder - The Great Escape
6. Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
7. Juvaliant - Inhuman Nature
8. Kamelot - Poetry for the Poisoned
9. East of the Wall - Ressentiment
10. Demians - Mute

As far as compiling lists goes, I know specific category lists are often made of "Well it was a great album and it was released this year" type jobs, but how many of them are absolute must-haves, outside of simply haivng been good, and released this year?

Good point. So far from what I've heard the only must-haves are Overkill - Ironbound, Accept - Blood of the Nations, Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time. There are a lot of other quality albums that came out, but in terms of classics those are the only ones to me.

Depending on how technical I want to get, I would stop short of saying ANY of these albums are "must-haves". I lived all the way up to 2009 without any of these 2010 top albums, and so did everyone else. Some of these 2010 albums are pretty good - but ultimately, if they didn't exist, I wouldn't be any less happy with the music I already liked, and neither would anybody else.

Some 2010 releases have actually lowered my perceived value of the releasing artists. Take the Avantasias. From 2003-2007, I viewed Avantasia as a pinnacle of how great ordinary power metal could truly get. Avantasia was gold, an untoppable benchmark. But as of 2010, that's no longer the case. They have now released more albums that aren't great (the past 3) than albums that were untouchable.

Some 2010 releases are ones that I like, but have had basically no overal effect on how I perceive the band. I really like PoS's Road Salt, and it'll place in my top 10, but it does nothing for the band either negatively or positively. One thing that's really noticeable about it is that this is the first time they've intentionally tried to replicate a pre-existing sound, whereas before I had always made a point to focus on how original and fresh their first several albums were.

Some 2010 releases have actually lowered my perceived value of the releasing artists. Take the Avantasias. From 2003-2007, I viewed Avantasia as a pinnacle of how great ordinary power metal could truly get. Avantasia was gold, an untoppable benchmark. But as of 2010, that's no longer the case. They have now released more albums that aren't great (the past 3) than albums that were untouchable.

Well, Tobias hasn't exactly hit any home runs with EDGUY in years, may as well drag the Avantasia name through the mud as well. :)

Unfortunately, MANY power metal bands have released the same album over and over.

The one who truly continues to amaze me is Grave Digger.

Helloween and Gamma Ray have been very consistent.
Not much ground breaking, but they haven't grown stale like some other long time runners have.

Good point. So far from what I've heard the only must-haves are Overkill - Ironbound, Accept - Blood of the Nations, Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time. There are a lot of other quality albums that came out, but in terms of classics those are the only ones to me.

I haven't heard the Overkill album, but for the other two mentioned, I wouldn't classify them as anywhere near must-haves. They're great albums, but I don't see anything that new on those releases.

I'd say the only must have from this year is the latest Kingcrow album.

As with all these posts, it does come down to personal taste. Too bad there isn't some definitive answer for best albums of 2010.

Its interesting comparing lists presented here to lists on, for example the one I look at, metalstorm.net. They have Agalloch as #1. I don't think I've seen the new Agalloch album anywhere near that high on this forum. The latest Mar De Grises album, which I really enjoyed, was ranked higher than both the latest Accept and Overkill efforts (not the Blind Guardian effort), however I haven't seen anyone else rank Mar De Grises in their top 10 on this forum...

Interesting stuff.

I haven't heard the Overkill album, but for the other two mentioned, I wouldn't classify them as anywhere near must-haves. They're great albums, but I don't see anything that new on those releases.

I'd say the only must have from this year is the latest Kingcrow album.

As with all these posts, it does come down to personal taste. Too bad there isn't some definitive answer for best albums of 2010.

Its interesting comparing lists presented here to lists on, for example the one I look at, metalstorm.net. They have Agalloch as #1. I don't think I've seen the new Agalloch album anywhere near that high on this forum. The latest Mar De Grises album, which I really enjoyed, was ranked higher than both the latest Accept and Overkill efforts (not the Blind Guardian effort), however I haven't seen anyone else rank Mar De Grises in their top 10 on this forum...

Interesting stuff.

Eh. I don't think a band necessarily has to do anything "new" for it to be a must-have. I just think the Blind Guardian and especially the Accept album are about as good as it gets for those bands. Overkill I can't say because I don't own any of their other material, but I know a lot of people have said how it's either their best or one of their best. I have to say what clicks with me about those albums is that all three were albums I had on was playing the hell out of once I heard it the first time through and still am. I can't say that about anything else this year or anything from last year for that matter.

The thing is though, there isn't much "new" bands can do nowadays. It's all been done. Music to me comes down to bands writing as good of songs as they possibly can in addition to putting in an excellent studio performance.

As for the Kingcrow, I can't say. I haven't picked it up yet but it is very high on my to-get list. I think overall this year I've been more into the power than the prog even though I'd say overall I like both about equally.

Eh. I don't think a band necessarily has to do anything "new" for it to be a must-have. I just think the Blind Guardian and especially the Accept album are about as good as it gets for those bands. Overkill I can't say because I don't own any of their other material, but I know a lot of people have said how it's either their best or one of their best. I have to say what clicks with me about those albums is that all three were albums I had on was playing the hell out of once I heard it the first time through and still am. I can't say that about anything else this year or anything from last year for that matter.

I guess my problem with the new Blind Guardian album is that I love song number 6 so much that I always skip straight to that song, and then end up wondering why the album seems so short. Now I just have it on repeat 1. The only album I find myself listening to constantly (as in all the songs) isn't even a full length album.

The thing is though, there isn't much "new" bands can do nowadays. It's all been done. Music to me comes down to bands writing as good of songs as they possibly can in addition to putting in an excellent studio performance.

I think thats why I have such trouble picking must-haves because I like to see something new. While I appreciate good albums that aren't anything "groundbreaking", I think the top albums should be the fresh ones. Thats why I like the latest Kingcrow / TesseracT / Kamelot so much. They're "new" in my mind.

My top 10

1. Avantasia- The Wicked Symphony
2. Seventh Wonder- The Great Escape
3. Allen/Lande-The Showdown
4. Delain- April Rain
5. Dream Evil- In The Night
6. Iron Maiden- The Final Frontier
7. Kamelot- Poetry For The Poisoned
8. Kiske/Somerville
9. Overkill -Ironbound
10. King's X- Live in London

Honorable mentions to

Star One Victims of The Modern Age
Helloween- 7 Sinners
Vanden Plas-Seraphic Clockwork
Pretty Maids- Pandemonium
Avantasia- Angel of Babylon
ReVamp

Mattbrood - Just so you know, Delain's April Rain was definitely a 2009 release.

I do find it interesting that people keep listing King's X live album. For me, I usually don't list live albums on a best of the year list unless it's best live albums of the year. I definitely need to pick that up though.

Mattbrood - Just so you know, Delain's April Rain was definitely a 2009 release.

I do find it interesting that people keep listing King's X live album. For me, I usually don't list live albums on a best of the year list unless it's best live albums of the year. I definitely need to pick that up though.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. I'll keep it there since I love Charlotte so much! lol :kickass:

King's X is my all-time favorite band and the new live CD is so awesome, I had to include it!