Your opinion on bands getting a monthly income from fans?

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
Allegaeon in the news: http://www.rockfeed.net/2016/11/03/people-pissed-allegaeon/

Ne Obliviscaris created a Patreon account earlier this year as well.

Opinions?

I do not really care. If they can get the money, good for them. I am not interested in supporting a band in such a way though. Musicians are certainly fighting an uphill battle. Most people consider music to be free. Even weirdos like me who actually buy albums do not want to pay more than $20 for the product of the band's work.

All I really care about is bands putting out new music that I appreciate. I do not really care if they can make a living being touring musicians. If a given band I like decides they will no longer make music because they are not making money at it, so be it. The market is saturated, and bands stop being worthwhile to me for all sorts of reasons - breaking up over non-financial factors, releasing music I do not appreciate, etc.

the article equates patreon with "fan club". Originally, fan clubs were around to give you exclusive this or that or allow you to get closer to a band. They kinda fell by the wayside with social media. This just seems like social media with a price tag.

Yeah, I wouldn't choose to support a band that way but I don't see any reason to get upset about it. On the other hand, the article doesn't offer any real evidence of the alleged backlash.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, crowd funds should be for product only. I have zero problems helping to get great music to market, I just don't need to be contributing to the bassist's Arby's order.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, crowd funds should be for product only. I have zero problems helping to get great music to market, I just don't need to be contributing to the bassist's Arby's order.
That's a strange outlook, imo. What is a living wage for if not living? If Patreon is how they go pro at music then why not?

There are definitely some bands I would subsidize monthly if it got me more music more often.

"Go tour if you want monthly income!" is something most likely shouted by someone who has never known the realities of touring bands. Almost anything BUT touring is worth a hell of a lot more income with a hell of a lot less risk.

Reactions: orcslayr23