Embarrassment and Pride: Lacuna Coil/Dragonforce

Magius

Nov 19, 2005
Atlanta
Let me get the embarrassment part out of the way first. Atlanta... when a band like Lacuna Coil comes to your town as the co-headliner of a Metal show, you as the fans of the host city are expected to act in at least a civil manner.

For those who don't know, let me just recap: Lacuna Coil played the main 30 minute part of their set, said "Thank you," and left the stage. Let house lights stayed off, the spot lights stayed on, the amps were still humming, and the band waiting in the wings to do their encore when the chanting of "La-Cu-Na-Coil! La-Cu-Na Coil!" starts. About 60 seconds passed and the chanting did start. The chant of "Dragon-Force! Dragon-Force!" About another 90 seconds passed during which time the band surely stood in shock before indignation set in, and they headed back stage. Then the house lights came on and the roadies appeared.

Of course we didn't get the encore, and clearly one wasn't deserved. That's just an outright slap in the face, and no one should ever need to wonder why if Lacuna Coil never plays Atlanta again.

On the flip side, I've NEVER seen Atlanta get up for a band the way they did for Dragonforce tonight. I've seen big names in big venues, big names in small venues, and small names in small venues in this city. The crowd reaction tonight for Dragonforce was unprecedented.

They knew every part to every song from all 3 albums they were asked to sing, yelled, clapped, and jumped when asked, and their reaction blew the band away. The only thing I can equate the band's reaction to is Andy Franke's reaction for Brainstorm's reception at ProgPower. Keep in mind ProgPower is not a stricktly Atlanta audience by any means.

So damage and good were done tonight. Lacuna Coil will spread the word of their experience. Dragonforce will certainly do the same. For a city that complains of being left out of of the Metal concert circuit, the damage certainly could have been avoided with a little common courtesy.

Curufin said:
So they "finished" their set, left the stage, and were then surprised that people were chanting the headliner's name and not theirs?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
Really. Opening acts should know better than to risk the encore/chant thing. That's reserved for headliners. With the spread between these two bands' style, it's no wonder people who came for the headliner were merely patient through the opener. (I happen to like LC very much, but that just wasn't smart.)

I actually dig "Unleashed Memories" but for some reason nothing else from LC has never grabbed me. in fact, they have steadily gone downhill since that release in my ears. Still, I am not one who would ever disrespect a band if they went on stage and worked hard. I don't think chanting Dragonforce was the best of ideas.

Bryant

Oh god, please!! Lacuna Coil can easily headline their own tours, it's just that these bands are oposites. I think this guy was saying in his story, that Lacuna were to do an encore, and because everyone stop chanting "LACUNA COIL" after a while, they probably all figured the show was over and started to chant "DRAGONFORCE".. so this is why, probably the band did not continue.

This is exactly why skip Atlanta and come to South FL :D

Empress said:
Oh god, please!! Lacuna Coil can easily headline their own tours, it's just that these bands are oposites. I think this guy was saying in his story, that Lacuna were to do an encore, and because everyone stop chanting "LACUNA COIL" after a while, they probably all figured the show was over and started to chant "DRAGONFORCE".. so this is why, probably the band did not continue.

This is exactly why skip Atlanta and come to South FL :D

I like the way you think, but not toooo much south FL... Tampa would be perfect :loco:

Thats pretty funny actually!! Maybe if they threw is some shred into their music they would get a chant once in a while...

Lacuna Coil simply can't take the fact that Dragonforce humiliate them in musical terms. LOL Let's face it, Karmacode is terrible, and Comalies was okay. They're only big and popular because of the mainstream factor. I bet 95% of their fans come from the Comalies era, including some on this forum.

Bands like them should take some tours as openers, so they learn to be more humble and less cocky.

Well.. LC has sold more records in the US than Dragonforce. That said, if you play a 30 minute set and walk off... when a popular band is following you, you are retarded. Encores are frickin lame anyhow. I was upset though, when people started chanting Dragonforce, because then I knew that Lacuna Coil was done.

BTW Magius, which one at the concert was you? Were you in the back at all?

I really don't see how LC could have expected to do an encore. At least 95% of the people in attendance were there for Dragonforce and the bands knew it. Unless you're a really, really good band and surprise the entire audience, you can't just play a 30 minute set and then come back for an encore. Encores are for the headliner, not the opener.

The fact that so many here don't like Lacuna Coil tells me that Lacuna Coil is a really good band. I already knew that, but it has just been confirmed.

Then you're hanging out in the wrong forum, buddy. Your point is totally invalid. Many here also must hate a nu-metal band like Papa Roach. Does that mean they're good in your view? Are you a fan of Trivium? I am, and many here hate their guts big time. Does the fact that people hate them here make them good? Hmmmm... No. Not a very intelligent thing to say in my opinion.

And if Lacuna Coil can't take the fact that they were OPENERS and people were mostly there to see the other band, then they're a bunch of spoiled little babies who shouldn't be where they are now.

And by the way, I like old Lacuna Coil.

woosta said:
The fact that so many here don't like Lacuna Coil tells me that Lacuna Coil is a really good band. I already knew that, but it has just been confirmed.

well a CO-HEADLINE spot is always a little ambiguous at best to an audience,
they don't understand it, they feel whoever the last band is, that's the main attraction as it used to be before ticket prices went sky high and draws started to dwindle for concerts....but I digress.....

Lacuna Coil is certainly at the status of Dragonforce at the moment, but more certainly more of a female draw and an entirely different style, so the testosterone infused young male audience (that I'm sure made up a majority that night) must have made that point clear!

that's all.