Embarrassment and Pride: Lacuna Coil/Dragonforce

Oh yea Dragonforce had a following before this album but they had nowhere near the amount of new fans Inhuman Rampage brought. Valley of The Damned and Sonic Firestorm both had delayed US releases (like Inhuman Rampage of about SIX MONTHS!!) but the first two albums didnt even blip the Billboard charts. The promotion process for Inhuman Rampage has been radically different. First Roadrunner put Dragonforce's "Through The Fire And The Flames" on the Headbangers Ball 2 Revenge etc cd months before the release. Since this was on a cd called Headbangers Ball the video got some air time. Holy crap alot of people thought, what is this insanely fast mega man music? So for alot of new fans this sound is actually pretty new to their ears because its not metalcore in the least which is what most of Headbangers Ball is nowadays. I'd like to see a label like that experiment with another Melodic act, say Edguy? Scar Symmetry seems to be getting a decent buzz but to go from All That Remains to them isnt too far of a stretch as it is for Dragonforce.

Heavenly Call said:
I was there and will attest to the fact that the "encore" vibe for LC was very low. Energy level was low and there seemed to be a great bit of disinterest (not total mind you because they certainly had their fans). Even at the merchandise booth the line for Dragonforce merch was twice or three times longer than the LC merch line almost all night. I was standing right next to it.

One thing to remember is that Lacuna Coil was here not too long ago opening for Rob Zombie (they got a very good reception that night by the way) and Dragonforce has never been here...

I was wondering if the line up was reversed how the reaction would have gone. If this was advertised as a LACUNA COIL/Dragonforce show rather than a DRAGONFORCE/Lacuna Coil show...any thoughts on that?

Yea, when a band I like more is not the headliner, I may not go if I dont like the headliner that is on after. The fanbase for these two bands I would assume if quite different and most LC fans probably stayed home. They sell 10x the amount of albums in the US so its weird that DF would be the headliner anyway.

Jase

From my perspective in the back of the room, Lacuna Coil certainly played longer than 30 mins, Bewteen the Buried and Me played 30 mins (and it was a rough 30 mins for me.. ugh) and LC was certainly onstage longer. The reaction to them wasn't bad by any means, but certainly not the levels of insanity that DragonForce got. And it wasn't 60 seconds after they went offstage that the "DragonForce!" chant started, it was practically instantaneous. I did notice that LC seemed to hold the crowd much better early on then in the middle of their set they played some slower numbers and that kinda took the crowd out of it (which makes sense if most of them were there to see DF). I can honestly say I have not seen a crowd go so crazy over a band since Angel Dust played those opening piano notes to Bleed many a ProgPower ago. The crowd was totally into everything DF did, they wanted sing-alongs? They got sing-alongs. They wanted arms in the air clapping? They got arms in the air clapping. They wanted jumping up and down? They got it. They didn't ask for crowd surfing, but they got that the whole set too (they even got a fight in the back of which I could only make out that security was pulling people apart). I was also impressed with the age of the crowd, it was decidedly younger than ProgPower and most of the metal shows I go to at Jaxx here in DC. All in all it was a fun, enlightening show.

BlackenedDawn said:
Am I the only person that remembers this band 3 years ago? EXTREME-POWER METAL?

No, you are not. I remember listening to and downloading DragonForce stuff when they were still posting demo's during the hey-day of MP3.com some 5 or 6 years ago. I pretty much "forgot" about them shortly after, until I saw a copy of thier Inhuman Rampage album (as well as an announcement of thier show at Jaxx this past May). I was thinking, "Hey, isn't that that one band that I was checking out on MP3.com back around 2000 or so?" I dug up the old MP3 files and sure enough!

I happen to like DragonForce, and did see them at Jaxx back in May. I thought it was an awesome show. Granted, given the choice, I'll take Sonata Arctica or Stratovarious anyday, but still. I guess I just have to be in the "right mood" to listen to DragonForce.

Now, about Lacuna Coil. I also happen to really like these guys as well (in fact, as I am typing this, I am listening to In A Reverie). I do have a copy Karmacode myself. It did sound a bit more "commercial", but I still very much enjoyed it (plus I only paid like $10 for it since the store had it on sale). I would certainly like to see Lacuna Coil myself. I thought about going to OzzFest just for Lacuna Coil and DragonForce (and just suffer through the rest of the crap that they had on the play bill).

Well, all I can say is that our group had an awesome time and I'm glad I went!!:headbang: :kickass: Dragonforce kicked ass!!:headbang: The only downfall was, as I said it would probably be previously, was that it was an inferno..... Other than that, I have no complaints!!!!!:headbang:

Come on guys, give lacuna coil credit, they have some very solid song writing, and a vocalist who can sing, and that is a lot in a popular rock/metal context. Also, they were the first band to really do that female fronted gothic metal thing, as they have been around for years, so they paid their dues. I do agree dragonforce and lacuna coil are a bad match for a bill. Very different musical philosophies. Dragonforce are a lot more about being over the top metal, whereas lacuna are more of a somber moody goth thing. And I rarely see any band that isn't the headliner do an encore, maybe the dragonforce fans just thought the band was done? Even if the house lights weren't on, some fans are dumb. Plus, I think certain openers know to expect rudeness from rabid fans of the headlining band, especially ones with rabid followers, like dragonforce or slayer. I am sure if it was the other way around, dragonforce would have been getting some bad treatment as well. I do agree some people have to open their minds a bit musically, instead of only liking that one band. Its not like lacuna are some shitty hardcore or emo band

Heavenly Call said:
One thing to remember is that Lacuna Coil was here not too long ago opening for Rob Zombie (they got a very good reception that night by the way) and Dragonforce has never been here...

True. Oddly enough, after that RZ/LC show, the idiots from 105.3 The Buzz were outside basically trying to get the crowd to dump on Lacuna Coil. "We've never seen a worse band! They suck!" Blah, blah, blah. --And the people outside there, most of whom were clearly Zombie fans, weren't having any of it. "Uhhh, okay-y-y-y-y-y-y-y..." "Did you see the same show I did?" Etc.

I was wondering if the line up was reversed how the reaction would have gone. If this was advertised as a LACUNA COIL/Dragonforce show rather than a DRAGONFORCE/Lacuna Coil show...any thoughts on that?

I know a lot of LC fans who were shut out by the show selling out -- not too many people aside from me were expecting that, it seems -- and also some probably thought they were just opening, not (as has been alleged) headlining.

AngraRULES said:
Excellent! That's great for you. However I do wonder if you became a fan when the first album came out like lots of their fans, or if you became a fan with Comalies. Not that it matters much, I am just curious. As for Dragonforce, even better that you have it. They're an excellent band. I remember when I first heard them back on the mp3.com days, still under the name of Dragonheart. It sucks that their demo was actually better than their debut... LOL

LOL anyone who wants to sit there and question when I became a fan of their music, especially someone who recently met me can go right on ahead and try to figure it out. I'll just say, you can ask Dave, or anyone from middle school that knew me, if you are REALLY that curious. :rolleyes: :lol:

Empress said:
LOL anyone who wants to sit there and question when I became a fan of their music, especially someone who recently met me can go right on ahead and try to figure it out. I'll just say, you can ask Dave, or anyone from middle school that knew me, if you are REALLY that curious. :rolleyes: :lol:

Not that I really care, actually. In fact, I said on my post I was just a little curious.

AngraRULES said:
Lacuna Coil simply can't take the fact that Dragonforce humiliate them in musical terms. LOL Let's face it, Karmacode is terrible, and Comalies was okay. They're only big and popular because of the mainstream factor. I bet 95% of their fans come from the Comalies era, including some on this forum.

Bands like them should take some tours as openers, so they learn to be more humble and less cocky.
:guh: :rolleyes:

woosta said:
The fact that so many here don't like Lacuna Coil tells me that Lacuna Coil is a really good band. I already knew that, but it has just been confirmed.
:lol: :headbang:

Lacuna Coil is an incredible band. I own their first two albums, but I love Comalies and Karmacode even more. In my opinion the band has only gotten better with time. I saw them play on Ozzfest a few weeks ago, with Dragonforce - who opened for them, and both bands kicked ass.

It's just that the marketing for Dragonforce has been shoved down every metal fan's throat so much recently so everyone thinks that's what they're supposed to buy and love. If people were really so interested and amazed by the type of music Dragonforce plays, you'd also see a hell of a lot more fans into bands like Cellador - who sounds basically like Dragonforce (better in my opinion) but without all of the computerized/Nintendo sounding bullshit. But instead, what you have are a bunch of young (and some older) metal fans who have been told this (Dragonforce) is the new greatest band in heavy metal. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when they both played Ozzfest on my stop in Bristow, Lacuna Coil was granted an encore and Dragonforce was not.

I admit, alot of those fans at that show mentioned above were probably only there for Dragonforce or were mainly there for Dragonforce, so it is somewhat understandable about why Dragonforce was cheered on for an encore while Lacuna Coil was not honored with the cheers demanding one more from them. However, as a band that has been in the industry quite a bit longer than Dragonforce (1996 vs. 2000 for their first demo release; 1998 vs. 2003 for their first label produced album) and entered the mainstream about the same time or slightly before, I can understand why Lacuna Coil would be a little upset about not receiving those cheers, particularly if both bands were listed as "co-headliners".

TheWhisper said:
No band deserves an encore. If the audience doesn't want it, accept that fact and move on.

I somewhat agree with the point the has been made about encores being for headliners, but I agree with Whisper more here. Okay, yes, typically it is the headlining band that gets to play an encore - and maybe they take this into consideration when planning their set and leave a few great songs reserved for that spot. But I have been to many shows where the one of the opening bands has been so well received that the crowd demanded that they be let back onstage to do another number or two. In that case openers may or may not have a planned song picked for that possibility in their set, but if they are an opener they shouldn't count on it being a given that they receive an encore (unless they've been told by the venue or tour manager ahead of time). Point is the audience should really be the ones who determine who gets to play more.

So in this particular instance, I would understand why Lacuna Coil would be a little disappointed since they were listed on the bill with equal status to Dragonforce, and I personally understand the point about wanting other fans to be more receptive to such a "give-it-their-all" type of band, but I don't think it was necessary for them to have an encore unless the fans ask for it and I think even Lacuna Coil would probably understand that. I cetainly don't think something like this would keep them from returning to an area to play for their true fans.
:headbang: :kickass:

BlackRoseMetalHeart said:
In my opinion the band has only gotten better with time. I saw them play on Ozzfest a few weeks ago, with Dragonforce - who opened for them, and both bands kicked ass.

To each their own. If you consider becoming commercial means becoming better, that's fine and I totally respect that. Dragonforce "opened" for them, so I assume they didn't get the encore and didn't bitch like Lacuna Coil. Lacuna must have gotten an encore, am I right?

It's just that the marketing for Dragonforce has been shoved down every metal fan's throat so much recently so everyone thinks that's what they're supposed to buy and love.

Bullshit. There's tons of Dragonforce fans that love the band since the days on mp3.com. They are considered an upcomer in metal since the demos for Valley of the Damned, and I think quite a few people on this thread have mentioned that they follow the band since then.

If people were really so interested and amazed by the type of music Dragonforce plays, you'd also see a hell of a lot more fans into bands like Cellador

They are getting noticed very rapidly. Just wait a few more months. In fact you're not aware, they'll open for Trivium in October, which will be a boost in their popularity.

Cellador - who sounds basically like Dragonforce (better in my opinion) but without all of the computerized/Nintendo sounding bullshit.

LOL Hahaha that was the funniest shit I've heard in a while. Have you ever heard of an instrument called KEYBOARDS? Computerized... LOL

But instead, what you have are a bunch of young (and some older) metal fans who have been told this (Dragonforce) is the new greatest band in heavy metal. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that when they both played Ozzfest on my stop in Bristow, Lacuna Coil was granted an encore and Dragonforce was not.

Ya know, I agree that RoadRunner has been pushing them a little too muchm and younger kids are getting into them without knowing shit about what power metal is all about. However, there's nobody telling me that they're the new greatest band in heavy metal. And I'm positive that there's thousands of others out there who're in the same boat... know Dragonforce for a while and didn't need this extra boost in popularity to notice them. Don't generalize things.

And regarding Ozzfest, see how I was right? I'm not surprised that Lacuna played an Encore and Dragonforce didn't. Afterall, Dragonforce was opening, like you said. This just MAY prove my point made earlier, regarding LC being too full of themselves and not appreciating the fact that a band who were supposedly opening for them at Ozzfest, were getting more chants and more fans at a "Co Headlining" show.

I admit, alot of those fans at that show mentioned above were probably only there for Dragonforce or were mainly there for Dragonforce, so it is somewhat understandable abous t why Dragonforce was cheered on for an encore while Lacuna Coil wanot honored with the cheers demanding one more from them. However, as a band that has been in the industry quite a bit longer than Dragonforce (1996 vs. 2000 for their first demo release; 1998 vs. 2003 for their first label produced album) and entered the mainstream about the same time or slightly before, I can understand why Lacuna Coil would be a little upset about not receiving those cheers, particularly if both bands were listed as "co-headliners".

Wait wait wait, not slightly before and not at the same time. Lacuna started to enter the mainstream with Comalies, which came out in october of 2002 (although it only kinda became mainstream in 2004). Dragonforce JUST started to get into "mainstream", and we're in 2006. It doesn't matter how long you've been in the industry. Keep your ego down. There must be a reason (whether good or bad) for people willing to see another band, old or bad more so than yours, and it's just part of life, IMO.