Embarrassment and Pride: Lacuna Coil/Dragonforce

MEGALOUD said:
well a CO-HEADLINE spot is always a little ambiguous at best to an audience,
they don't understand it, they feel whoever the last band is, that's the main attraction as it used to be before ticket prices went sky high and draws started to dwindle for concerts....but I digress.....

Lacuna Coil is certainly at the status of Dragonforce at the moment, but more certainly more of a female draw and an entirely different style, so the testosterone infused young male audience (that I'm sure made up a majority that night) must have made that point clear!

that's all.

Definitely agree.

AngraRULES said:
Lacuna Coil simply can't take the fact that Dragonforce humiliate them in musical terms. .

hum? Dragonforce writes the most tasteless stuff I've ever heard in my life.. Lacuna Coil isn't all that great, but at least they write a few good songs every now and then..
the dudes from Dragonforce might be fast and all, but that's it.

I agree with Empress on the South Florida thing. Its sort of getting repetative to go to the Culture room to see just thrash bands.

AngraRULES said:
Then you're hanging out in the wrong forum, buddy. Your point is totally invalid. Many here also must hate a nu-metal band like Papa Roach. Does that mean they're good in your view? Are you a fan of Trivium? I am, and many here hate their guts big time. Does the fact that people hate them here make them good? Hmmmm... No. Not a very intelligent thing to say in my opinion.

And if Lacuna Coil can't take the fact that they were OPENERS and people were mostly there to see the other band, then they're a bunch of spoiled little babies who shouldn't be where they are now.

And by the way, I like old Lacuna Coil.

There's just an obvious thing that happens for me on this board concerning melodic music: if the majority here hates it, then I'll like it. No, that hasn't been the case with Nu-metal, but by-and-large, it's the case for me. Alternately, I'd say the case for most others would be that If I like it, then they won't. I take the posts on this board like I take a reviewer; I find one that I agree with and I rely on him/her. Many on this board serve as "the reviewer I don't like" and I rely on the reviews in that way.

Largely, it boils down to the majority here being Prog fans where I'm a fan of melodic traditional metal, power metal and hard rock. I'm not looking for "new", I'm looking for what appeals to me in the way of melody, song structure, vocals, and whatnot.

Am I in the wrong place? Yes, if I'm counting on this forum to guide my music purchases, but I'm not here for that. I'm here because I have something to say about things and I have a lot to learn about other things.

Curufin said:
So they "finished" their set, left the stage, and were then surprised that people were chanting the headliner's name and not theirs?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

agreed.

AMBR said:
Really. Opening acts should know better than to risk the encore/chant thing.

agreed.

Empress said:
they probably all figured the show was over and started to chant "DRAGONFORCE".. so this is why, probably the band did not continue.

agreed.

Cheiron said:
if you play a 30 minute set and walk off... when a popular band is following you, you are retarded.

agreed.

Nothing "rude" occurred here, IMO. Lacuna went off stage after a 30-minute set, planning to come back for an encore. The crowd didn't think they were coming back -- after a 30 minute set, they probably thought LC was just an opener -- and started chanting for Dragonforce. Did some of you REALLY expect Lacuna Coil to come back out, amidst chants for the next band and no chants for them? That's not "spolied"... it's intelligent. They made a mistake by looking for the encore, and they didn't come back out because they had to deal with their mistake.

woosta said:
There's just an obvious thing that happens for me on this board concerning melodic music: if the majority here hates it, then I'll like it. No, that hasn't been the case with Nu-metal, but by-and-large, it's the case for me. Alternately, I'd say the case for most others would be that If I like it, then they won't. I take the posts on this board like I take a reviewer; I find one that I agree with and I rely on him/her. Many on this board serve as "the reviewer I don't like" and I rely on the reviews in that way.

Largely, it boils down to the majority here being Prog fans where I'm a fan of melodic traditional metal, power metal and hard rock. I'm not looking for "new", I'm looking for what appeals to me in the way of melody, song structure, vocals, and whatnot.

Am I in the wrong place? Yes, if I'm counting on this forum to guide my music purchases, but I'm not here for that. I'm here because I have something to say about things and I have a lot to learn about other things.

Don't feel too bad Woosta, I understand what you're saying because we have very similar tastes in music. I'm also a huge melodic hard rock, heavy/traditional metal and power metal fan. I like some prog but really couldn't care less for all the death/black metal bands I see posts about and have no clue who many of these obscure bands are that so many posters seem to love. To each their own.
On the plus side PPUSA has exposed me to new bands and expanded my tastes to include bands I never would have listened to a few years ago.

One thing I have noticed is that as soon as a band starts to gain popularity and break out in the mainstream, or make a new album with songs that are "catchier" and more melodic, many fans on this board turn on them. Lacuna Coil, Evergrey and Nightwish all have something in common, in my opinion the last 2 albums from each band have been their best. I've heard earlier stuff from each band and still like some of it, but I love the later albums. I realize 90% of the board will disagree with me but that's OK, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
As for Lacuna Coil, co-headliners and encores, I agree it probably would have been better if they skipped the whole "encore" thing and went straight into another song or two, especially if it's a predominately DragonForce crowd. They're a young band and they'll learn fom their mistakes. They're not gonna "cry" or "whine" about it as some haters have suggested. I've met them and interviewed bands LC have toured with including DragonForce and Rob Zombie and in each case they said how cool, fun and professional they were and what a pleasure LC was to work with.

I agree with the originator of the post - Lacuna Coil was a HEADLINER on this date and I'm pretty positive they played for more than thirty minutes - perhaps more like forty five plus. I just found it rude for people to be screaming "GO HOME!" during their set and then chanting for DragonForce when it was clear an encore should have been next. Some of the DF fans ruined it for the people who just came out to see LC. There was no extraordinarily long wait for the encore where people got bored - attendees were going on for DragonForce during Lacuna Coil's performance.

I'd also like to point out that Lacuna Coil has worked their asses off touring all over the US and they deserve every smidget of success that has come their way. I didn't even like Karmacode, but I respect them as a band for pursuing their music. Call me naive, but I sincerely believe that LC shifted toward a more modern sound on the newest release because that's the music they loved and they wanted to play live and loud.

That said, the DragonForce show was easily one of the best nights of the summer. Absolutely amazing. Even if you find the stuff is repetitive and whatever on the album, see them live for the sheer energy. I think the silly grin on my face when I described it to my Radiohead loving friends prompted one to inquire about coming to my next concert. THAT incredible.

Metal fans can be as moronic as fans from any other genre. When I saw Opeth on their Deliverance tour, a band named Tapping the Vein opened. Why they were given this slot, I couldn't say. They're a female-fronted band, who lean more towards Pop and Industrial than Metal. The lead singer was doing her best to win over the crowd, only to heckled with chants of "Show us your tits" between songs.

Zod

Angrafan said:
hum? Dragonforce writes the most tasteless stuff I've ever heard in my life.. Lacuna Coil isn't all that great, but at least they write a few good songs every now and then..
the dudes from Dragonforce might be fast and all, but that's it.

Every other day you say "This band writes the most tasteless stuff I've ever heard in my life." Freedom Call, Dragonforce, Cellador.. It's melodic/speed power metal, that's the style. In my opinion, it's WAY better than the nu-metal bulshit that Lacuna Coil has become. And I can say that cuz I heard their newer material, and IMO is mediocre!! And I don't like a band for the sake of speed of guitarists, and you know that....

Lacuna Coil used to be a really cool band. Nowadays, I think their music is as generic and commercial as any other band that we hear on commercial radio.

However, considering you like lots of stuff that play on the radio, and in my humble opinion I find pitiful, I understand that you prefer Lacuna Coil over Dragonforce.... lol it just doesn't work that way to my ears...

Oh God
Most of the people were there because they wanted to see Dragonforce.... Lacuna is out of the stage, and people can't wait to see the band they were waiting for. Too bad for LC.. next time, don't "open" for Dragonforce ! ha!

Meh. I've been to shows where the majority of the crowd is there for an opener. I'm somewhat surprised LC didn't have more fans. Then again, you can probably get a longer set out of them by going to Ozzfest. Hartford used to have 5 bands for $5 shows run by a now defunct rock station. They grabbed Evanescence about 2 months before Fallen was to come out and ended up the first show of a massively long touring period by them. Somehow All American Rejects got the headlining spot. No one knew the order until Evanescence came on as the 2nd to last band. They played a 40ish minute set and once they were off that stage, at least 60% of the crowd walked out of that club.

Agree with you, Jibrille. But once again, on this one particular show, it seemed like people didn't care for the "opener"

AngraRULES said:
Every other day you say "This band writes the most tasteless stuff I've ever heard in my life." Freedom Call, Dragonforce, Cellador.. It's melodic/speed power metal, that's the style. In my opinion, it's WAY better than the nu-metal bulshit that Lacuna Coil has become. And I can say that cuz I heard their newer material, and IMO is mediocre!! And I don't like a band for the sake of speed of guitarists, and you know that....

Lacuna Coil used to be a really cool band. Nowadays, I think their music is as generic and commercial as any other band that we hear on commercial radio.

However, considering you like lots of stuff that play on the radio, and in my humble opinion I find pitiful, I understand that you prefer Lacuna Coil over Dragonforce.... lol it just doesn't work that way to my ears...

I agree with you.. It's a matter of taste! I only posted this because of your "Lacuna Coil simply can't take the fact that Dragonforce humiliate them in musical terms" post...
that's not true.. :) It varies from the listener.. people want to hear different things in music.. So, I disagreed with that..
I

Lucas... hahaha I just can't picture yourself saying ANYTHING good about Dragonforce. That's why I don't really take your posts serious.... lol (the ones about DF)

I'm just trying to get over the fact that there was a huge mosh pit at Ozzfest when Lacuna Coil was playing. What's next? Stage diving and crowd surfing at an REO Speedwagon or Journey show???? :loco:

BTW, I saw Dragonforce at that same show (NJ) and I have to say it was dissapointing. The singer was completely out of key. At one point he almost tried growling... that was weird. The music sounded good, but I hope the singer was just having a cold or something, cause if he sounds like that always... they are in big trouble.

He sounded fine at the Atlanta show.....no worries there. An excellent set by Dragonforce.

I spoke to Andrea and Cristina after the show and they'll be back in November for a more "proper" show (their words), so no worries on the Lacuna Coil front, either.

To be honest, after their set was over I thought they were finished for the night until I noticed that the house lights hadn't come up. 75% of the crowd was there for Dragonforce, though, and LC probably should have played straight through.

I am still in awe of the response that Dragonforce got. So was the band; we talked to 'em afterward and it was clear they had been totally surprised.

I hate stupid fucking people.

1- They were co-headliners, that works.
2- The debate between LC and Evanesence would be pointless to some ignorant people.
3- I love how you can judge people so well and assume they have been fans of a band coming out from some certain album. I can't speak for anyone else, Because I DONT KNOW THEM, either way..

Even if their last album is not their best by far, I still have my LC and In A Reverie.. oh, AND I have DragonForce, if I wanted some shred. ;)

P.S. Thrash bands rule, some times it's the death metal bands I'm sick of!!