Embarrassment and Pride: Lacuna Coil/Dragonforce

So. Lacuna Coil plays a half an hour? That's as long as they play at Ozzfest. VERY lame. When I saw them open for Type O Negative in 03 they played about 45 minutes, and I can almost guarantee that set was a hell of alot better than the one they are currently playing. Aside from the obvious Comalies choice (Heaven's A Lie) and their Depeche Mode cover, They played mainly Karmacode. Given, they did play the best songs on the record, at times I thought I was watching Korn :( . That's pretty dissapointing if it's the exact same show in a club.

Now, onto Dragonforce. Playing radio edits on main stage Ozzfest :). Tisk, tisk! Now I know that was the only logical way to fit 4 songs into the set, it didn't help the overwhelming commercial vibe of the fest. They were mind numbing back in May. I hope the club show is just as amazing, as I'm sure it will be. I also don't get the whole bandwagon Dragonforce thing. Like em, hate em. Am I the only person that remembers this band 3 years ago? EXTREME-POWER METAL? Usually retaliated back with "Extremely power metal!" I know there have been a-many-a conversations about them long before the explosion. For a little while I thought of them as an extreme band with such a true metal influenced emotion and structure. That's just perception, though. It's hard to look at them as a new phenomenom when it's really just catching on to the blind commercial metal world a few years later. They aren't a trend in my eyes. I actually think it's pretty surprising they of all the bands in the genre are the ones who have gotten so big. It's not important, though; I don't see a point in turning my back on a band I have been listening to for a few years just because now they have some sort of commercial appeal. I think that's the bandwagon within itself ;). I hope this show doesn't dissapoint when it makes its way here at the end of September. Cheers!

Empress said:
I hate stupid fucking people.

But then again, anyone that doesn't agree with you on this "lacuna coil" topic, you will name them stupid..lol.. even if what they said was their OWN opinion....

BlindPanzer said:
I agree with Empress on the South Florida thing. Its sort of getting repetative to go to the Culture room to see just thrash bands.

+1

LC has played down here once or twice, and I missed them each time. Not gonna go all the way to Orlando just to see an opening act (Unless it is EVERGREY), wish they would get to SF again.

Actually, I don't see what the big deal is about Dragonforce??????? They're another lame band that plays at the speed of light and every song sounds the same!

I've just now gotten into Lucuna Coil, so it's not like I'm a die hard or anything. I do like this band, but it wasn't smart on their management's part to team them up with a band so different!

Empress said:
I hate stupid fucking people.

Tell me about it. I can't stand them either. Really, can't stand stupid people. Especially when they're stupid to the point of seeing everything about a band as perfect.

Empress said:
1- They were co-headliners, that works.

So they should have stayed on the stage and played the rest of their set, whether it was too much or not for them to take to hear the "Dragonforce" chants.

Empress said:
2- The debate between LC and Evanesence would be pointless to some ignorant people.

I totally agree with you. However, anyone that says that part of the success of Lacuna Coil in the USA is because of Evanescence's success is not a valid statement, has gotta be stupid.

Empress said:
3- I love how you can judge people so well and assume they have been fans of a band coming out from some certain album. I can't speak for anyone else, Because I DONT KNOW THEM, either way..

And I love how I didn't get it by the way you expressed yourself now. I will re-read my posts (since you clearly seem to be talking about me and possibly even calling me stupid, but you can't simply quote me for some reason) and I'll maybe edit this post later with an answer for your number 3.

Empress said:
Even if their last album is not their best by far, I still have my LC and In A Reverie.. oh, AND I have DragonForce, if I wanted some shred. ;)

Excellent! That's great for you. However I do wonder if you became a fan when the first album came out like lots of their fans, or if you became a fan with Comalies. Not that it matters much, I am just curious. As for Dragonforce, even better that you have it. They're an excellent band. I remember when I first heard them back on the mp3.com days, still under the name of Dragonheart. It sucks that their demo was actually better than their debut... LOL

edgeofthorns said:
Actually, I don't see what the big deal is about Dragonforce??????? They're another lame band that plays at the speed of light and every song sounds the same!

I heard one explanation earlier today as to why a lot of kids are into them -- the video game music aspect. They're fast, like a lot of game music.... I confess I hadn't thought of that angle before.

I've just now gotten into Lucuna Coil, so it's not like I'm a die hard or anything. I do like this band, but it wasn't smart on their management's part to team them up with a band so different!

Remember, it was only an Ozzfest one-off date. Playing off-dates are the only way a lot of bands can hope to make any money during Ozzfest, since the price of admission is so high ($75,000 unless you're invited).
The following night's show at the Masquerade, also a strange bill -- Hatebreed, Strapping Young Lad and Full Blown Chaos -- was also an off-Ozzfest date. You take what you can get.

Incidentally, per Dragonforce after the show, they were invited. :D

This is my theory on why Dragonforce is so popular.

A. First and foremost you have the backing from Roadrunner.

B. Since RR is pumping a buttload of money into this band and promotion they found their niche market and exploited it wonderfully. To alot of the new fans of the band Dragonforce are like The Darkness, a novelty act. They sing about forests, dragons, elves and shit and to the commercial crowd who've never heard Power Metal before they think this is something new. The over the top speed and video game sound of Dragonforce appeals to the ADD inflicted no attention span teen of today. I like the band, have been a fan since I ordered their demo from mp3.com but I highly doubt this level of success that they have reached will last long. They are a novelty band to most people and novelty bands do not last.

Pellaz said:
I heard one explanation earlier today as to why a lot of kids are into them -- the video game music aspect. They're fast, like a lot of game music.... I confess I hadn't thought of that angle before.

Remember, it was only an Ozzfest one-off date. Playing off-dates are the only way a lot of bands can hope to make any money during Ozzfest, since the price of admission is so high ($75,000 unless you're invited).
The following night's show at the Masquerade, also a strange bill -- Hatebreed, Strapping Young Lad and Full Blown Chaos -- was also an off-Ozzfest date. You take what you can get.

Incidentally, per Dragonforce after the show, they were invited. :D

Oooookay! :loco: (scratching my head) I've not thought about that either, but I'm not a gamer either.

Daybreaker said:
This is my theory on why Dragonforce is so popular.

A. First and foremost you have the backing from Roadrunner.

B. Since RR is pumping a buttload of money into this band and promotion they found their niche market and exploited it wonderfully. To alot of the new fans of the band Dragonforce are like The Darkness, a novelty act. They sing about forests, dragons, elves and shit and to the commercial crowd who've never heard Power Metal before they think this is something new. The over the top speed and video game sound of Dragonforce appeals to the ADD inflicted no attention span teen of today. I like the band, have been a fan since I ordered their demo from mp3.com but I highly doubt this level of success that they have reached will last long. They are a novelty band to most people and novelty bands do not last.

Strong points. I've given Dragonforce a fair shot and they just don't do anything for me. I can think of other bands such as Symphony X, Redemption, and Angra that should be given the proper hype because they actually deserve it! Those bands have paid their dues and cranked out some great music consistently, especially Symphony X.

Dragonforce just happened to stumble upon on the right record deal and then mainstream success is thrown in their laps! At least that's what it looks like to me.

But they already had a following before the RR deal, so I don't think that's a valid reason for their success, besides the financial standpoint and the push on promotion..

If LC was on a Co-headline tour with Dragonforce then why in the hell did they only play for 30 minutes? Doesn;t co-headline mean they play for much longer, say an hour? Usually only opening bands on a 3 band lineup play for 30 minutes. Not to mention, I have never heard of an opening band getting an encore.

Some say it was 30.. others 45. It seemed short either way, and based on some times I think it was closer to 30. But personally, I'd expect a band to go on for at least an hour as a headliner. Anything over that might occur with an encore. You don't cut your set short, knowing that you will come out for an encore to meet the 45 mins.

That said, I still don't like how people were chanting Dragonforce immediately after LC's show. Also, in general, people seemed into LC's show. They were pumping their fists, jumping, etc, etc. Not as into Dragonforce (I'd say about half the energy), but enough that I think a number of people were there to see LC.

of course i was there...and honestly... there was no VIBE for an encore.

Some ppl were into the Lacuna show, but it just seemed like the energy level was low during their set, or maybe as this post states...they didn't care and just wanted to see Dragonforce.

Oh well, i stayed for LC's set, which i thought was pretty good, and then just left. I don't care for Dragonforce at all....

VenomGA said:
If LC was on a Co-headline tour with Dragonforce then why in the hell did they only play for 30 minutes? Doesn;t co-headline mean they play for much longer, say an hour? Usually only opening bands on a 3 band lineup play for 30 minutes. Not to mention, I have never heard of an opening band getting an encore.

THANK YOU!
Amen!

Okay, I'll say this.

I don't boo a band unless they absolutely suck beyond a reasonable doubt.

But hey... that was a Dragonforce crowd. At least they didn't get the Protest The Hero treatment! I'm not exactly a fan of Lacuna Coil, but I can dig their stuff if it's playing.

I was there and will attest to the fact that the "encore" vibe for LC was very low. Energy level was low and there seemed to be a great bit of disinterest (not total mind you because they certainly had their fans). Even at the merchandise booth the line for Dragonforce merch was twice or three times longer than the LC merch line almost all night. I was standing right next to it.

One thing to remember is that Lacuna Coil was here not too long ago opening for Rob Zombie (they got a very good reception that night by the way) and Dragonforce has never been here...

I was wondering if the line up was reversed how the reaction would have gone. If this was advertised as a LACUNA COIL/Dragonforce show rather than a DRAGONFORCE/Lacuna Coil show...any thoughts on that?