It's that time again: predict the actual lineup

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
Last year, I only got one right. The best was a couple of people that got two and a half(I say half because they guessed Kotipelto or Outworld).

I hear one year someone got six(!).

Here's my guess:

Lanfear
Vanishing Point
Dragonforce
Enchant
Masterplan
Savage Circus
Evil Masquerade
Pagan's Mind
Symphony X
Sonata Arctica

What I find interesting about predictions from the fans is that economic factors are not taken into consideration the majority of the time. That's the main factor in nobody getting close to predicting the actual lineup.

I'm not picking on Adaher, but I do want to use that list as an example. Vanishing Plan is from Australia. It's just not realistic to expect them to travel here for a one-off, especially since they are no where near headline caliber.

How many would have predicted Stride or Circus Maximus last year? I think they did ok and fit my budget.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
What I find interesting about predictions from the fans is that economic factors are not taken into consideration the majority of the time. That's the main factor in nobody getting close to predicting the actual lineup.

I'm not picking on Adaher, but I do want to use that list as an example. Vanishing Plan is from Australia. It's just not realistic to expect them to travel here for a one-off, especially since they are no where near headline caliber.

Glenn H.

Well, then you can always have the "Australian Package", bring over Vanishing Point, Eyefear, Black Majesty, etc....just leave Pegasus at home!

I don't think we need any more evidence than this... Glenn is getting AC/DC to headline next year. ;)

Symphony X
Blind Guardian
RAGE

Thats all I need, It could be doable, X should be touring around this time, plus being from New Jersey would be less expensive, plus they *heart* glenn, so they might cut him a break, Guardian and Rage have new albums comming out, Im sure no US tour support.

Gamma RAy has a new album out, nad is said to be exploring US tour potential. Might be something to consider, cost wise, if the dates line up (which they very well could).

Im sure Stream of Passion is going ot be considered greatly, finally get Arjen Lucassen over here, and now that he has a project that doesn't involve 100 singers and guest musicians, SoP is definitely in a favorable position.

Just my 2/100 dollars.

Adaher- Amazing lineup, but definitely way too many "big" acts to be economically possible. Then again, I would pay in increase ticket price to see that lineup, but not many people will.

Urinal- How do you know that Symphony X *hearts* Glenn?

urinalcakemix said:
Symphony X
Blind Guardian
RAGE

Thats all I need, It could be doable, X should be touring around this time, plus being from New Jersey would be less expensive, plus they *heart* glenn, so they might cut him a break, Guardian and Rage have new albums comming out, Im sure no US tour support.

quote]

1. Symphony X regularly tours the U.S. now as both support & headliners. They are one of my faves & I do hope to have them back, but their appearance will become less common.

2. Blind Guardian will once again do a headline tour of the U.S. in 2006. They have the full support of their label behind them.

3. Rage will not return to PP based on the reaction they received last time. Do I like what happened? Hell no. However, it is the reality of the situation.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
3. Rage will not return to PP based on the reaction they received last time. Do I like what happened? Hell no. However, it is the reality of the situation.

Man, I wonder if the reaction would've been wholly different if Rage had the number 4 slot instead of the number 5 slot. I'm really beginning to think that the number 5 slot can be a curse in disguise.

Dark One said:
I'm really beginning to think that the number 5 slot can be a curse in disguise.
There's a decent balance of Prog fans and Power fans. To a certain extant, Prog fans are going to bail on the #5 band if they're a Power band, and verse visa. It's a long night, and people are going to split. The #4 band will almost always have a bigger audience than the #5.

Zod

Harvester said:

Glenn H.

What a friggin DRAG......... :(
I will remain truly happy that I did see them play here, but it's a bummer they won't be back......:cry:

Anubis Gate
Astral Doors
Eldritch
Icycore
Mindflow
Meshuggah (oddball?)
Vox Tempus
Zero Hour
Vanden Plas
Royal Hunt (been pimpin' for this band since PPIII)

Copied from another post, but l dropped SymX & added Vanden Plas due to Glenn's response. I'd take VP over SymX anyway.

Harvester said:

Glenn H.

Seriously? But so many people enjoyed their set.. yeah a lot of people bailed, but I know I'm not the only one who thought Rage one of the best sets that year. :cry:

This totally fucking kills my day...

Ascension said:
Meshuggah (oddball?)
I might be wrong, but Meshuggah probably wouldn't be a good fit:

1. They're currently touring the U.S. and aren't likely to be in tour mode in Sept. 2006.
2. They won't have anything resembling a new CD out in 2006.
3. They don't do any clean vox. I believe Glenn has said he wouldn't book an act that only used Death vocals.
4. Given what they probably make when touring the U.S., they probably want headliner money (this is a complete guess on my part).
5. They suck.:puke:

Zod

Ascension said:
Anubis Gate

Meshuggah (oddball?)

Royal Hunt (been pimpin' for this band since PPIII)

quote]

Meshuggah is actually a bit bigger than you would think in terms of a draw and don't really need PP. Plus, I hate the vox.

As for Royal Hunt, I'm scared to deal with them based on past and current (news will leak soon) business/booking decisions.

Glenn H.