It's that time again: predict the actual lineup

sh0kr0k said:
Seriously? But so many people enjoyed their set.. yeah a lot of people bailed, but I know I'm not the only one who thought Rage one of the best sets that year. :cry:

This totally fucking kills my day...

Nope, you're not! Rage killed!
One of the few bands I got right up on the rail for......
Massively bummed out......

Ascension said:
Anubis Gate
Astral Doors
Eldritch
Icycore
Mindflow
Meshuggah (oddball?)
Vox Tempus
Zero Hour
Vanden Plas
Royal Hunt (been pimpin' for this band since PPIII)

Copied from another post, but l dropped SymX & added Vanden Plas due to Glenn's response. I'd take VP over SymX anyway.

#8 rules , good list

wixx

Harvester said:
1. Symphony X regularly tours the U.S. now as both support & headliners. They are one of my faves & I do hope to have them back, but their appearance will become less common.

2. Blind Guardian will once again do a headline tour of the U.S. in 2006. They have the full support of their label behind them.

3. Rage will not return to PP based on the reaction they received last time. Do I like what happened? Hell no. However, it is the reality of the situation.

Glenn H.
Symphony X has done 1 US Headlining Tour, and many support tours, I still think they aren't big enough to be TOO BIG FOR PROG POWER. Plus, I'd like to see them with a good crowd, not some Yuppies in Toads Place.

Guardian- Same as SX, sans support tours

Rage - It seemed this year there was less people for Angra and Strato, than for therion/mid card acts. I think Rage would be a perfect #4 slot. Headlining, I could see the dropoff, no incentive to stay any longer, especially when most aren't familiar with the band. a #4 slot would have been more fitting for them, and I think would have had a better draw. having Symphony X headlining over them (A nice balance between Prog and Power, I think would be incentive for crowds to stick around for their set, and really get the crowd pumped for Symphony X to kick everyones ass even more)

A nice hypothetical, plus Rage and SX are my 2 favorite bands these days, its a shame I couldn't make it down to IV, seems like THE YEAR.

Devin Townsend anyone? New Album, played @ III, is a bit bigger now, could be a #4 as well.

sh0kr0k said:
Seriously? But so many people enjoyed their set.. yeah a lot of people bailed, but I know I'm not the only one who thought Rage one of the best sets that year. :cry:

This totally fucking kills my day...

I agree. They put on a fantastic show. However, there were only about 400ish to see it. *Everyone* bailed. If it was a prog band, I could understand, but they were one of the power headliners. I would love to have them back in a lower spot, but I don't think they would agree to that.

The guys were all fantastic to deal with though.

Glenn H.

urinalcakemix said:
It seemed this year there was less people for Angra and Strato, than for therion/mid card acts. .

Sorry, but this is incorrect. Angra had essentially the same number as OL & Therion. However, Stratovarius had *more* than anyone that weekend. That floor was packed as well as the seats.

Glenn H.

I doubt many people would be for this idea, but what if the Prog Power fest went from 10 to 8 bands? Maybe under that scenario folks would be more apt to stay around for all the bands since the show would presumably end maybe an hour earlier. Maybe even a few minutes could be added to each set, or divied up a bit differently because of the lack of a set change.

Also, if the total band budget stayed the same as it was under the 10 band format perhaps a bigger name or two than usual could be brought in ? Maybe an Ayreon type deal would then be a possibility.

Just thinking out loud ...

Britt

adaher said:
Last year, I only got one right. The best was a couple of people that got two and a half(I say half because they guessed Kotipelto or Outworld).

Half prediction, Half wish list:

Gamma Ray
Racer X
Enchant
Tad Morose
Rob Rock

Symphony X
Jorn Lande
Freak Kitchen
Anubis Gate
Theocracy

:headbang:

Here is my list, just who i would like to see and who Knows>>>>>

Friday

Pyramaze
Savage Circus
Lanfear
Tarot
Sonata Arctica

Sat.
Cea Serin
Divercia (oddball)
Outworld
Pagans Mind
Symphony X

DarkTide said:
I doubt many people would be for this idea, but what if the Prog Power fest went from 10 to 8 bands? Maybe under that scenario folks would be more apt to stay around for all the bands since the show would presumably end maybe an hour earlier. Maybe even a few minutes could be added to each set, or divied up a bit differently because of the lack of a set change.

Also, if the total band budget stayed the same as it was under the 10 band format perhaps a bigger name or two than usual could be brought in ? Maybe an Ayreon type deal would then be a possibility.

Just thinking out loud ...

Britt

Well, I see your resoning, and you make a valid point. I'm interested seeing what Glenn has to say.

edgeofthorns said:
Well, I see your resoning, and you make a valid point. I'm interested seeing what Glenn has to say.

The format will remain the same. Cutting an opening band isn't going to make a difference in terms of pumping up the headliner budget, specifically when you are referring to bands like Aryeon/Star One.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
The format will remain the same. Cutting an opening band isn't going to make a difference in terms of pumping up the headliner budget, specifically when you are referring to bands like Aryeon/Star One.

Glenn H.
who said cut an opening band, why not cut the #4 band? So you have, 2 bonafide openers, 1 mid card, then the headliner.

Not trying to side with 8 or 10 bands, but it IS an interesting idea. I dunno how I'd feel about it, I guess the lineup would depend on it. I like hte current format tho.

Harvester said:

Glenn H.
I wondered about that. I don't really have a clue how much it costs to bring in one band over another so it was a shot in the dark.

I also thought that by cutting the length of the overall show it might help keep the fever pitch up all night long. Currently it seems the crowd is pretty spent by the time the last band hits the stage. I generally stay for all the artists, but I do recall the Rage fiasco. They were awesome, and hardly anyone I know stayed to watch them ... mainly because they were all music'ed out for the night.

Britt

DarkTide said:
I They were awesome, and hardly anyone I know stayed to watch them ... mainly because they were all music'ed out for the night.

Britt

I disagree that rationale. As soon as Evergrey announced their impromptu signing session, half the place went with them (it was the 2nd biggest line of the weekend after Nightwish). Evergrey cemented their headline status for the festival when that happened.

The only time that a 5th spot showed some weakness was when it is a repeat performer from a prior year and the "magical appeal" is a bit diminished (think Edguy). The only other exception was when PoS followed BG (and that was not by my choice).

Glenn H.