It's that time again: predict the actual lineup

I'm not picking on Adaher, but I do want to use that list as an example

I don't mind you picking on me. I tried to do better this year after you had the same criticism of my list from last year. I never knew that Australia was unfeasible. Does that mean Japan is as well?(Since we have another thread on Concerto Moon)?

Considering the average accuracy rate last year was like, one, with two and a half being the best, hopefully I still have a shot at getting three or four right.

Harvester said:
I disagree that rationale. As soon as Evergrey announced their impromptu signing session, half the place went with them (it was the 2nd biggest line of the weekend after Nightwish). Evergrey cemented their headline status for the festival when that happened.

The only time that a 5th spot showed some weakness was when it is a repeat performer from a prior year and the "magical appeal" is a bit diminished (think Edguy). The only other exception was when PoS followed BG (and that was not by my choice).

Glenn H.
I was strictly referring to the people I hang with. Not too many of them are interested in an Evergrey signing if there's a good party firing up at one of the hotels.

I agree on Edguy. I loved them as a three, but wasn't into them much at all as a headliner. As for PoS, they bore me to tears in any slot :)

Britt

DarkTide said:
I was strictly referring to the people I hang with. Not too many of them are interested in an Evergrey signing if there's a good party firing up at one of the hotels.
I think we're in the minority. I'm always amazed to see people standing in line waiting for signatures, especially while a good band is playing live. Different strokes for different folks.

DarkTide said:
I agree on Edguy. I loved them as a three, but wasn't into them much at all as a headliner. As for PoS, they bore me to tears in any slot :)
Agree with you on all points. I don't feel strongly about the 8 vs. 10 thing. I think both have benefits. From Glenn's point of view, the more bands on the bill, the wider the appeal of the show, the larger the draw. When most people post (this is obviously not directed at you), they only consider the festival from the perspective of music. However, Glenn is the one with his bank account on the line.

Zod

As for Royal Hunt, I'm scared to deal with them based on past and current (news will leak soon) business/booking decisions.

Glenn H

Please elaborate. If it did leak, would that be so bad? I do understand that you like absolute secrecy until reveal day, but, don't you think with what happened this year that keeping a lid on things will become harder and harder?

General Zod said:
I'm always amazed to see people standing in line waiting for signatures, especially while a good band is playing live. Different strokes for different folks.

Zod

Yea, I think there should be a way to have the signings before and after the show, not DURING the show, not only does that hurt the band but the fans as well (Do I want to meet my favorite band, or check out another band?), and for the band having to compete with another band for heads in the crowd versus autographs really puts a burden on everyone. Hell, open the doors an extra hour early for signings or something, Im sure something could be done to help this conflict in the future, if anyone actually sees it as a true "conflict"

Overlorde - from New Jersey
Unearthed - from Tampa
Twelfth Gate - from Chicago area
Exhibition - from New Jersey

how difficult would it be to bring one or more of these bands in?

then there's Communic from Norway, and they're another Intromental band, of which there's usually at least one or two of those per year, right?

~Hoyt.

I second J-Dubya on Freak Kitchen! They would be a perfect oddball band. Great music, funny ass lyrics!

Supreme Majesty? Melodic power metal from Sweden

Chinchilla? German masters. These guys are POWER!

Biomechanical? DROOL!

Evil Masquerade? Great power metal from Sweden!

Rob Rock? I'm always wondering why he never played ProgPower. He was the special guest last year and was always in the crowd years prior. His solo cd's kick ass. Logistic problems or timing maybe?

Twilightning? My favorite band other than Sonata Arctica. If you like Sonata and Stratovarius you will LOVE Twilightning. "Delirium Veil" and "Plaque House Puppet Show" are both incredible albums.

BTW: Everyone except Rob Rock and Freak Kitchen are most likely out of scope due to what Glenn had stated earlier. Glenn, your thoughts?

FatesFan said:
Please elaborate. If it did leak, would that be so bad? I do understand that you like absolute secrecy until reveal day, but, don't you think with what happened this year that keeping a lid on things will become harder and harder?

One doesn't have anything to do with the other. The Royal Hunt European tour news will be out within the next 24/48 hrs.

As for my own roster secrets, I will continue to try and keep things quiet. I understand how hard that may be, but I kept a lid on Conception and that was a magical day for me when it went public from my own post.

I probably will stick to the two/week format though as it helps me deal with the early leaks *cough*Therion*cough* due to shitty American booking agents that do not care about my gentlemen's agreement with the band.

Glenn H.

urinalcakemix Hell said:
Let's see..open the doors early or get all the sound checks done for the bands prior to the doors opening....hmmm...decisions..decisions.

I do see your point though. However, there are only so many hours in the day and sound checks NEVER run on time regardless of how prepared we are.

Glenn H.

Rider of Theli said:
Overlorde - from New Jersey
Unearthed - from Tampa
Twelfth Gate - from Chicago area
Exhibition - from New Jersey

how difficult would it be to bring one or more of these bands in?

~Hoyt.

It wouldn't as I dare say that they would play for free just to secure a spot on the roster (sorry, not trying to be egotistical..just realistic). However, I have to ask myself several questions in terms of opening bands:

1. Do they balance the roster. For example, if I'm power heavy on top..I need prog on bottom.
2. Do they have that "buzz" that I need for the opening band to be effective. Three posts on a forum does not indicate "buzz." I monitor over 25 forums and have a team that I brainstorm names with in terms of who they think they will draw.
3. If they are an unknown, how do I think they will do once people hear them. This is where it's my taste vs. your personal taste.
4. Can I get a higher profile band for the exact same price? Why go after a domestic band if I can get an international band that people will get excited more about for the same amount?
5. Do I like the band?

It's tough and there are many quality bands that get left out in the cold. However, I repeat what Zod said...it's my bank account on the line and I have to do what I feel is right.

Glenn H.

Glen,

You said you lost your ass on Progpower 2. What about Progpower 3? Have the days of PP 3 type bands gone away? It sounds like there will be possibly less heavyweight( known) bands in the future and more unknow talent(Circus Maximus) type bands on the PP ticket. I remeber you said one time that bands don't want to play for nothing anymore. It take that as it is getting harder financially to pull the type of PP 3 act of yesterday.

FatesFan said:
Glen,

You said you lost your ass on Progpower 2. What about Progpower 3? Have the days of PP 3 type bands gone away? It sounds like there will be possibly less heavyweight( known) bands in the future and more unknow talent(Circus Maximus) type bands on the PP ticket. I remeber you said one time that bands don't want to play for nothing anymore. It take that as it is getting harder financially to pull the type of PP 3 act of yesterday.

The heavyweights were so starved for a decent American show that I was able to pull off something truly special for PP 3. Those days are over as the touring opportunities are wide open in the States to a certain extent if you don't mind scaling down. Think about all the bands that have had the doors opened for them since PP 3.

As for the future, there will indeed be years with smaller, unknowns in the opening slots. CM was the exception as that was strictly my choice because I loved the disc so much. However, a festival needs *name* bands in order to put asses in the seats. So far, so good..however it will get more difficult in the future and all good things do come to an end. I just hope that end doesn't come for a while.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
The heavyweights were so starved for a decent American show that I was able to pull off something truly special for PP 3. Those days are over as the touring opportunities are wide open in the States to a certain extent if you don't mind scaling down. Think about all the bands that have had the doors opened for them since PP 3.

As for the future, there will indeed be years with smaller, unknowns in the opening slots. CM was the exception as that was strictly my choice because I loved the disc so much. However, a festival needs *name* bands in order to put asses in the seats. So far, so good..however it will get more difficult in the future and all good things do come to an end. I just hope that end doesn't come for a while.

Glenn H.

If you keep pulling no names out of the air like CM, I feel the end if farther than you think.:headbang:

Harvester said:
all good things do come to an end. I just hope that end doesn't come for a while.

Glenn H.

No, never! PP must live on :headbang: !

I'm sure this festival can keep going as long as modifications are made to adjust and someone is willing to run it. Like incorporating PP into part of a bands big tour, drastically raising ticket prices, getting more sponcer money...

(Although as a back up plan I will attempt to become extremely wealthy so that someday I can save PP if it comes down to that :) . )

Robin

What we need is for bands to become headliner caliber, and pretty much no new bands have stepped up since 2000. And almost all of the headliner caliber bands that came out in that rich 1997-2000 period are now touring the US.

STill, I wonder if Glenn overestimates how important a band touring the US is. At most, they probably get to where maybe half of metal heads could potentially see them. Florida almost never gets shows. Plus, club shows are a drag in many places. I got a bad taste in my mouth from Blind Guardian in 2002. Symphony X didn't show, we got three hours of the local band instead of BLind Guardian lengthening their set, and there was no place to sit.

I think people will still come to see a band at Progpower even if they can see them tour the US, simply because it's just a much better venue to do so amd the operation is much more professional. No going to the show and having bands cancel while you're standing in line, or ending shows early because of various issues. Or having to stand in a smoke-filled club for 5 hours. Or having to sit through some crappy band's set. At PP there are no crappy bands.