It's that time again: predict the actual lineup

SavaRon said:
I think Jon Oliva's Pain might be there next year. They are suppose to have a new CD next year and we all know Glenn loves the Mountain King.

He ESPECIALLY loves his soundchecks, right Glenn? :D

SavaRon said:
Pre Party - Brainstorm and Tad Morose. Thats it. Not sure if Shane could pull that off, but it would get the weekend started off with a bang!

Doubt it would happen, but DAMN that would rule. I think though that the Pre-party is also a bit like the main PP Festival in that there should be at least one Progressive, or at least "semi" Progressive band on the bill.

It also might be possible for him to get Chris Caffery for next year. He's going to be releasing his second solo album disk, and along with the catelogue of Savatage as well - it wouldn't necessarily be a repeat performance

Nightmare1z said:
True, but I've even noticed this one.

PP1 - Zero Hour (Sensory)
PP2 - Spiral Architect (Sensory) & ARK (Sensory)
PP3 - Zero Hour (Sensory)
PP4 - Redemption (Sensory)
PP5 - Wuthering Heights (Sensory)
PP6 - Circus Maximus (Sensory) & Stride (Sensory)

So not that's it's a bad thing, but as of now Sensory has had at least one of their bands there for every ProgPower. Now whether or not for the first couple Progpowers, they had those bands signed before the show - I'm not positive. :saint:

It's no secret that I have a good relationship with Ken & Claus. The thing with Sensory is that the sign quality prog newbies with broad appeal. Other than ZH, you will not there are no repeats on that list as well. If the well dries up for him, he knows that there is no automatic bid for Sensory (or Intromental for that matter). That's what happened to Inside Out.

Glenn H.

Locust0311 said:
Glenn, my question is, at what point do you feel like you have to broaden your rules for who you invite?

Rule #1 is that you have to book the headliners to draw the crowd. Reality is that it tends to be the power bands instead of the fickle (yes FICKLE) prog fans.

Rule #2 is that you have to balance the lineup. Most of the prog bands fall to the bottom for this reason.

Rule #3 is that it has to be a good economic fit. I can afford newer bands in lower slots because they are hungry for the exposure and don't take the lower slots as a kick to the ego (and that has happened multiple times).

As for your personal preference of prog bands, it becomes my taste vs. yours. I have no problem with Poverty or Lee, but I would take CM or Stride over them any day of the week.

The only repeat prog band that I have had is PoS & SX (yes, argue genres) and that is because they do sell tickets based on their name alone to my specific audience.

Glenn H

Harvester said:
As for your personal preference of prog bands, it becomes my taste vs. yours. I have no problem with Poverty or Lee, but I would take CM or Stride over them any day of the week.

Fair enough, guess I'll just have to continue on my quest for fame and fortune so I can throw a wad of cash at you to be a sponsor ;)

That, or as Larry has said, hope PNC writes "that killer disc we all know they have in them"

General Zod said:
Hard to decide which was more boring, Weapons of Mass Destruction or Nightingale. As you pointed out, it's Glenn's festival and he love's 'Tage. So, I wouldn't be shocked if they're there.

Why would two bands, who held the #3 slot on the main stage and slayed, play the pre-party?

Zod

I posted, but it didn't show up for some reason???

I doubt TM and BS would play either but you never know. The pre-party has gotten much bigger. (around 550 people this year I believe) That's almost half the PP crowd. Shane did get Dreamscape and they were in the 4th slot the previous year. Also, Glenn is trying to stay away from repeat bands. Some of these bands that have played the fest in the past and know what the crowd is like may want more exposure here. The pre-party may be the only chance they will get for a while. Only having two bands, with headlining sets (90-120 minutes) might be appealing to these guys. Plus he wouldn't have to fly in Urban! hehe

Hell, in another year or two I could see the pre-party being in Earthlink itself. That way he could have it all ages as well. I'm just going by the success of this years pre-show.

SavaRon said:
Hell, in another year or two I could see the pre-party being in Earthlink itself. That way he could have it all ages as well. I'm just going by the success of this years pre-show.
Fair points. I do think, for some people, the extra expense for the extra days, as well as taking/scheduling another vacation day, would keep the pre-party numbers too small for Earthlink... but ya never know.

zod

wayland smithers said:
Royal Hunt would be great

Not going to happen. Perhaps you missed the Royal Hunt tour cancellation thread down the forum a bit. This is no where near the first time something like that has happened involving Royal Hunt as I found the dirt out a few years ago. Hell, there are fans on their own forum slagging them now. One guy said it was the fourth time they canceled a show at a specific venue in Europe and that venue will not do further business with them.

Glenn H.

Nightmare1z said:
True, but I've even noticed this one.

PP1 - Zero Hour (Sensory)
PP2 - Spiral Architect (Sensory) & ARK (Sensory)
PP3 - Zero Hour (Sensory)
PP4 - Redemption (Sensory)
PP5 - Wuthering Heights (Sensory)
PP6 - Circus Maximus (Sensory) & Stride (Sensory)

So not that's it's a bad thing, but as of now Sensory has had at least one of their bands there for every ProgPower. Now whether or not for the first couple Progpowers, they had those bands signed before the show - I'm not positive. :saint:
The Intromental factor also has to figure into the equations as well. Intromental manages several bands that have either played the pre-party or the prog power fest. Those bands are Circus Maximus, Manticora, Secret Sphere, Wuthering Heights, Steel Prophet (not with Intromental any longer), Outworld, and Avian, who was scheduled to play the pre-party this year.

Intromental manages a lot of good bands, so hopefully we'll continue to see two or three of these types of acts each year. Pyramaze, Astral Doors, and Lanfear are just a few that I'm anxious to see.

Britt

Harvester said:
Not going to happen. Perhaps you missed the Royal Hunt tour cancellation thread down the forum a bit. This is no where near the first time something like that has happened involving Royal Hunt as I found the dirt out a few years ago. Hell, there are fans on their own forum slagging them now. One guy said it was the fourth time they canceled a show at a specific venue in Europe and that venue will not do further business with them.

Glenn H.
It is really a shame that this had to happen to all the fans of RH, and especially to us here in US. But I can definetly say that i can truely see Gleen's point of not wanting to do any business with them as they might just pull the same stunt. I also would not be surprised to see John West leave RH very soon;) and devote more time to Artension and his solo efforts or even form a new band. On another note as to the Intomental management connection, it seems there is a great working relationship there, with tons of mutual respect in both directions, and that my friends is how business is done respect, and reputation. And Glenn has both and receives both from everyone he deals with. He is honest and to the point, and his word is his bond. So Glenn stay with Intromental and King Foo they are the best as you are the best in the States.

Harvester said:

Glenn H.

Yeah but you still dont think they would come over just to do the festival? They cant get it together at least for that? Glenn what are your thoughts on Grave Digger and Running Wild? The chances of getting Demons and Wizards?
:devil:

General Zod said:
Hard to decide which was more boring, Weapons of Mass Destruction or Nightingale. As you pointed out, it's Glenn's festival and he love's 'Tage. So, I wouldn't be shocked if they're there.

Why would two bands, who held the #3 slot on the main stage and slayed, play the pre-party?

Zod

As an excuse to come back again, being that they're not allowed to play the mainstage 2 years in a row anymore (a la EG). Look at Dreamscape. They played the PPV mainstage (#2 slot), then came back to headline the PPVI Pre-Party. I understand that there's lots of bands who have to have their ego's bruised to play the Pre-Party after having kicked ass on the mainstage, but they have to do it to play 2 years in a row (unless Glenn would allow mainstage repeats again). Right?

I don't know about predicting the lineup, but anything including one or more of these would rock:

Mercenary
Wastefall
Sinergy
Pain of Salvation (damn the fingerprints! :p)
Kamelot (Again, again!)
Anything Arjen Lucassen

I still think something is doable with this. Bring over Stream of Passion, 1/2 hour for their set and 1 hour+ (like Savatage/Jon Olvia's Pain) of Ayreon/Star One material. Bring in James LaBrie and Russell Allen (maybe Damien Wilson if there's money left!) for guests and you've got yourself a good time. :) Bringing in LaBrie solo in an hour or even 45 minute slot would drop the cost down even more, no? Am I still dreaming too hard?

Okay, here's my lineup.

Friday (headliner on down)

Symphony X
Vanden Plas
Nocturnal Rites
Freak Kitchen
Pyramaze

Saturday (headliner on down)

Nevermore
Evergrey
Mercenary
Astral Doors
Pantommind

Meteornotes said:
I think it's impossible to predict the line up. So I won't. I have enjoyed reading Glenn's responses in the thread. I like seeing how he thinks about all this (I still want to read his PP book!). While I'm not predicting anything, It would kick ass to see Enchant, Andromeda, Riverside, Freak Kitchen and Fates Warning, though. And return visits from Pagan's Mind, Superior, Vanden Plas, Devin Townsend, Threshold and/or Mercenary at some point would be cool too.

Dude you just blew my mind - awesome!!!!!!!
:headbang: :Smokin: :headbang:

(even though I understand the reality of the Fates and Riverside situations...)

DarkTide said:
Okay, here's my lineup.

Friday (headliner on down)

Symphony X
Vanden Plas
Nocturnal Rites
Freak Kitchen
Pyramaze

Saturday (headliner on down)

Nevermore
Evergrey
Mercenary
Astral Doors
Pantommind

You win the Best line-up Award. Any shot we could swap out Panommind for Zero Hour?

Zod

General Zod said:
You win the Best line-up Award. Any shot we could swap out Panommind for Zero Hour?

Zod
Yeah, that's fine. I actually had Zero Hour as the #2 band on Friday, but they I realized I forgot Freak Kitchen, who I really do want to see pretty bad.

Britt

Riceloft said:
I don't know about predicting the lineup, but anything including one or more of these would rock:

Mercenary
Wastefall
Sinergy
Pain of Salvation (damn the fingerprints! :p)
Kamelot (Again, again!)
Anything Arjen Lucassen

I still think something is doable with this. Bring over Stream of Passion, 1/2 hour for their set and 1 hour+ (like Savatage/Jon Olvia's Pain) of Ayreon/Star One material. Bring in James LaBrie and Russell Allen (maybe Damien Wilson if there's money left!) for guests and you've got yourself a good time. :) Bringing in LaBrie solo in an hour or even 45 minute slot would drop the cost down even more, no? Am I still dreaming too hard?

Dude I wish that Glenn would get an Ayreon/Star One lineup like that! Especially Russell Allen and Damien Wilson! Also, through in the Jansen (Floor and Irene) sisters too! I guess I must be dreaming too!:D