Kamelot US Tour with Fabio Lione on vocals Aug/Sep 2011

No, I don't think Edguy had anything at all to do with that show's draw. They weren't on the bill!

I think that there's a difference between something being economically feasible and being realistic, too. It'd be economically feasible for Kamelot and Rhapsody to share a bus and sleep in the same beds. Save on a tour bus cost!

Do you think that's gonna happen though? Are Kamelot and Rhapsody gonna be snuggle buddies?

Do you think that's gonna happen though? Are Kamelot and Rhapsody gonna be snuggle buddies?

Who knows? Just saying it COULD happen.
I mean there have been a LOT smaller tours than that with 2 or even 3 smaller European bands on the same bill.

As Claus has said in the past, many tours, no matter how big the band is, are a long term investment.

I'm guessing Blackguard will be one of the opening bands.

captain-obvious-to-the-rescue.jpg

That's kinda lame, given that bands used to play 2 hours a night, and played a lot more dates as well.

Are modern metal singers made of less stern stuff than Jon Bon Jovi, who on the New Jersey tour sang two hours per night for 250 dates?

How many shows worldwide would a Kamelot/Rhapsody tour do? 50?

It doesn't make enough financial and logistical sense for a metal band who draws 800-1000 people a night tops and sells 6,000 records first week off the new album to play that many shows on tour. Not even Lady Gaga and the like play that many dates because it just doesn't make sense.

Edit: unless the 250 dates you're referring to is part of a world tour, in which case, tons of bands play that many dates today.

Tour dates released.

Kamelot confirmed dates are
Aug
26 Atlanta , GA Masquerade
27 Springfield , VA Jaxx
28 Philly, PA Trocadero
30 NYC, NY Grammercy Theater
31 Worcester, MA Palladium
Sept
2 Montreal,QC Club Soda
3 Quebec City,QC The Imperial
4 Toronto,ON MOD Club
6 Cleveland ,OH Peabodys
7 Detroit ,MI Blondies
8 Chicago,IL Bottom Lounge
9 Minneapolis,MN Station 4
12 Seattle ,WA El Corazon
13 Portland,OR Peters Room
15 LA ,CA House of Blues
16 Tempe , AZ Clubhouse
17 SLC,UT The Complex
18 Denver ,CO Bluebird Theater
20 Dallas,TX Trees
21 Houston,TX Scout Bar
23 Orlando,FL Club Firestone

Know what it feels like everyone is missing here?

Fabio won't sound like Khan, sure. But it'll be really unique. It'll almost be like hearing the same songs as if they were recorded by a completely different band. For once, instead of just going to a concert to see a recreation of CD tracks, we'll be going for a truly interesting spectacle.

I'm pretty excited. I'm sad that Khan is probably done for good (Sonata did this exact same dance before ejecting Jani, too.) But this should be a fun tour.

Kamelot confirmed dates are
Sept
13 Portland,OR Peters Room

Interesting...this is a smaller venue than they played the last time they were in Portland (October 2008). That show was well-attended as I recall. Wonder if they're expecting a smaller turnout without Khan?

That's also the night before I'll (hopefully) be hopping on a plane for Atlanta!

Replacing a singer is one thing but before Khan was in the band Kamelot was a thrird rate BORING power metal band with nothing that stood out. Khan came in and helped forge the sound they have now along with writing the vocal melodies and such.

I think you'll find Sascha Paeth and Michael Rodenburg had a lot more than Roy to do with how their sound evolved from something generic into what it is now.

Given that he hasn't really done anything worthwhile that I'm aware of lately, I think they should be looking at signing up Kelly Carpenter. I can't think off too many other people who could adequately fill Khan's shoes in the studio for Kamelot, nor too many other bands who could live up to the kind of talent and versatility Carpenter showed on his album with Beyond Twilight. Either that or Yiannis Koutselinis (ex- Balance of Power, Biomechanical).

I think you'll find Sascha Paeth and Michael Rodenburg had a lot more than Roy to do with how their sound evolved from something generic into what it is now.

Uh, I doubt this very much. Khan wrote almost all the lyrics and co-wrote the music on everything from TFL forwards. In fact, on Poetry for the Poisoned, he was listed as writer on all songs, whereas Thomas was listed on all but two, which means that Khan wrote more songs than him. Not crediting him for Kamelot's sound is just as stupid as not crediting Youngblood.

Uh, I doubt this very much. Khan wrote almost all the lyrics and co-wrote the music on everything from TFL forwards. In fact, on Poetry for the Poisoned, he was listed as writer on all songs, whereas Thomas was listed on all but two, which means that Khan wrote more songs than him. Not crediting him for Kamelot's sound is just as stupid as not crediting Youngblood.

I would agree with you as well. Losing Khan would be a huge blow to Kamelot. He truly did elevate their status tremendously. I don't think you can just plug in any singer and there wouldn't be a big drop off. I guess we will see what transpires at the end of this year. Something needs to be decided by then.

http://www.myspace.com/roykhanofficial/blog/542719606

Dear fans & friends,

There have been a lot of speculations around why I am not touring with Kamelot and I want to make a statement although it may not prevent further guessing as to what's actually going on. It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band. Naturally enough they were shocked (as was the label and everyone else working with Kamelot). In addition to risk of dropping ticket sales they wanted to give me time to think things over, and so I did. My decision still stands; It is finished.

I am currently spending time with my family in Norway taking it easy and wondering profoundly what the future is going to bring. Communication with the outer world has been so and so, but I have had several talks with Thomas along the way although I am still called in sick. I am terribly sorry that my decision is affecting so many others and I want you to know I wish the band & associates all the best for the future and that I enjoyed every second in the spotlight. How could I not...they were nourished by the best fans in the world! I am eternally thankful for everything you and Kamelot have given me and equally sorry that it has to end here. The good news is; God was there after all...

Love you to death!!!

All the best & so long,
Roy Khan