Predictions for remaining 4 bands...

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
Alright I thought this would be an interesting thread to start. Besides just naming the band, give a reason as to *why* you think they might be playing this year. Here goes mine:

headliners:

1. either Demons & Wizards or a Helloween reunion with Kai Hansen and/or Michael Kiske. These are really the only two bands at the moment that I can think of who could be ranked higher than Stratovarius and still maintain a "never played progpower" status. I think D&W is obvious why they would play...Schaffer expressed a ton of interest in the festival, enough to start claiming to people that Iced earth would play Progpower 4 (and starting a shitload of rumors in the process). Add in that the new D&W will be ready by summer and that they *did* do a small festival tour when the first album came out makes it seem all the more likely that they could play. Now, Helloween on their own is a big name, but yes they did do a US tour for Rabbits, and I can only assume that they would tour again for the album that they are working on right now. I could definitely see them playing just as they are now, but seriously...Kiske performing with Helloween for a one-off show would be *the* powermetal event of...well...the history of powermetal. Its a fucking longshot but hey, I can conjure up any thought I want ;).

2. Masterplan - also kinda obvious...new album out this year and a lot of people would love to see these guys.

openers:

1. Riverside - Glenn loves em, new album, and at this point look like they could be the only band to shut up the bitchy progsnobs :)

2. Magnitude 9 - Well one of the openers is from the US, and Mag9 was supposed to play last year. Maybe Rob's kid is starting school a week later or early this year :D

So...discuss...

Well....Ayreon/Arjen would definitely be a bigger fish than Stratovarius in terms of the festival.

Ice Age is the only small prog band from the US that I know.

The Helloween reunion thing is total non-sense, IMO..

AS much as I'd like to see Riverside, I also don't think it's very likely... What are the odds of two Laser's Edge bands being on the festival? eh...

I am hoping for a Conception reunion :) It's more of a wish than a guess, though ;)

Angrafan said:
The Helloween reunion thing is total non-sense, IMO..

yeah...it is...but Im sure a lot of people would have never thought of a Savatage reunion before last year...and Kai DID come out and play with Helloween at last years Wacken. Even if you forget the Kiske part, I wouldn't completely rule out a Helloween/Kai reunion....

Glenn already said he had a spot for them but Riverside was out, because of thier problems with getting visa's. Where the hell was that thread at?

Bear

My vote is for ANGRA. They released an exceptional CD last year and their connection with Dennis Ward as producer (also in PC69) would make them an easy acquisition.

I think a Helloween/Kai reunion or Demons & Wizards would kick the buttocks, as they say.

Why is everyone so hung up on seeing Kiske w/ Helloween? Their albums are amazing and the Dark Ride is one of the best metal albums of that year !! One, Kiske says he's through with metal. Two there's Gamma Ray. Looks like everyone's kinda moved on. Everyone makes it sound that if Helloween was headlining with the current lineup you'd complain and that's absurd.

Anyhow here's my guesses of who I think it could be

Helloween
Accept
DGM
Masterplan
Rhapsody
Sinergy
Iron Savior
I'll throw out Warlock as a no chance in hell but I know they played a show overseas recently.

I think Rhapsody is a logical choice for one of the bands. They announced a few months back on NY radio about their interest in coming to the US with Manowar. I heard nothing else after that about that tour since. If its even interest in coming to the US though, I think Prog Power would be the place to debut at. On Power of the Dragonflame's tour they were supposed to come to the US supposedly but couldn't find a good enough offer, I think now is the time for them to finally debut in the US.

Creeps said:
Anyhow here's my guesses of who I think it could be

Helloween
Accept
DGM
Masterplan
Rhapsody
Sinergy
Iron Savior
I'll throw out Warlock as a no chance in hell but I know they played a show overseas recently.

Id shit if Iron Savior was one of the two remaining headliners.

hunter said:
My vote is for ANGRA. They released an exceptional CD last year and their connection with Dennis Ward as producer (also in PC69) would make them an easy acquisition.

Angra seems to be the popular choice IF, there is indeed, a returning PPUSA band...but there might not be...

I fail to see the connection between Ward and easy acquisition. All he did was produce an album (he produces a lot of albums). It's not like he's part of their management or anything...

Rock on!

Creeps said:
Why is everyone so hung up on seeing Kiske w/ Helloween? Their albums are amazing and the Dark Ride is one of the best metal albums of that year !! One, Kiske says he's through with metal. Two there's Gamma Ray. Looks like everyone's kinda moved on. Everyone makes it sound that if Helloween was headlining with the current lineup you'd complain and that's absurd.

I agree, Creeps...Helloween would be awesome regardless of any reunions or special-guest type situation. Although I would caution you over tooting the horn over The Dark Ride when it comes to the Weiki regime (haha).

Remember, they are totally against that album, blaming Grapow and Kusch for the crap that was that album.

While I've been a loyal fan of all their albums...I certainly thought (and still think) that The Dark Ride was a very well-rounded kick-ass metal album...

At this point, I dunno...just rambling, I guess.

Hell yes to Helloween. Masterplan is still #1 on my wish list (has been for a long time). If not Masterplan, I'll gratefully settle for Thunderstone as one of the openers for Saturday...

Rock on!

I think the remaining headliner almost has to be.... Demons & Wizards or Star One, or *perhaps* Rhapsody. But I honestly think one of the first two.

Rhapsody could still fall into Friday's #2 slot.

As for the two openers on Saturday... not sure. Someone mentioned Magnitude 9, but obviously they've played the U.S. before, and I'm not sure if any of the remaining bands fall under that category? Too many old threads/info to keep up with...

AndrewUMR said:
I think the remaining headliner almost has to be.... Demons & Wizards or Star One, or *perhaps* Rhapsody. But I honestly think one of the first two.

Rhapsody could still fall into Friday's #2 slot.

As for the two openers on Saturday... not sure. Someone mentioned Magnitude 9, but obviously they've played the U.S. before, and I'm not sure if any of the remaining bands fall under that category? Too many old threads/info to keep up with...
Star One would be cool as all hell, but it seems like quite a chore to get all the players to be in attendance at the same time.

I'm thinking Helloween might be get the top spot, but I really don't know.

For the final four I'm going with Helloween, Running Wild, Magnitude 9, and Pyramaze.

Britt

I honestly hope that it's not Rhapsody. I think they are fantastic, but I don't think their music will translate very well to a live setting, what with all the choirs, drum machines, strings, etc. Not to mention that until their scheduled gigs this summer it's been over 3 years since they've played a live show.

Reunion talk aside, Helloween would be neat, again, not sure if Glenn has any non US debuts left.

I'd like to see Freedom Call, Iron Savior and/or Masterplan, all of whom I think are good possibilities.

Also not sure of our status with repeat performers, but I'd fall over if Angra were to headline on Friday. Their latest album is fantastic. Maybe they could play the album in it's entirety?!?

I think Helloween or Accept are going to be last on friday. Remember Glenn said the band he's working on isn't a U.S. debut. I am hoping for Demons and Wizards to go on fourth Friday. Glenn also said that band would headline if he couldn't confirm the top spot. Which would make sense. The openers on Saturday I'm not sure about, but I think the second band might be Symphorce. Who knows, Glenn has already surprised most people on here!