Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress - I think a PP slot is in order!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
I just got my hands on Scar Symmetry's second album Pitch Black Progress and I am completely blown away. From start to finish I feel like I was hit by a truck. This is one of the greatest new bands out there and I think would make an excellnt odd ball addition to next years Prog Power festival. From brutal death metal vocals to amazing clean singing similair to that of MIkael Erikson of Circus Maximus. From traditional straight forward heavy metal to thrash metal to the bands own formula the band has it all.

Here's a preview of my review which will be appearing on metalasylum.net in the near future....

Scar Symmetry – Pitch Black Progress
"Pitch Black Progress" is an appropriate title for Scar Symmetry’s second album as it progresses ahead from the band’s amazing first album "Symmetric in Design". The Swedes open the album in a big way with the head banger "The Illusionist". The musicianship is just top notch here and I will say Scar Symmetry may be the best band out there that utilize the mix of clean and death vocals. The clean vocals on the opening track send chills down my spine as they go from brutal to amazing straight from the heart singing. The melodies are just incredible. The production of this album is superb. Lots of traditional old school guitar solos throughout the album while the over all sound is fresh and crisp and not dated at all. The freight train this album is keeps rolling down the tracks with "Slaves to the Subliminal" another head banger featuring some jaw dropping shredding. The pace slows down a bit for "Mind Machine" but in no way causes the listener to lose interest. The album from start to finish satisfies my metal hunger. I cannot say enough great things about these guys. For once a great new band that stands on their own and I can’t say they sound just like this band or just like that band. After the first album I wasn’t sure if this band was gonna be able to stand up there with other Swedish big boys like Soilwork, In Flames, Evergrey, Dark Tranquility, and Hypocrisy or if they were gonna lurk in the shadows. After listening to "Pitch Black Process" it is clear they are one of the big boys and can stand on their own. I think it’s safe to say this album has secured a spot in my top five albums of the year. I would love to see these guys rip through our American shores and tear the stage up night after night. Perhaps an oddball band addition to the annual ProgPower USA festival in Atlanta is in order for this band to get the ball rolling? I sure hope so. To the European fans out there look our for Scar Symmetry this September on tour with Communic.

Kenneth R. said:
sorry, Pitch Black Progress owns Mercenary.
I quite like the new Mercenary disc "The Hours That Remain", but Pitch Black Progress is much more interesting to my ears. I did however like 11 Dreams better than either Scar Symmetry disc, but not by a wide margin. I think Scar Symmetry has Mercenary beat these days when it comes to musicianship.

Britt

Kenneth R. said:
the way they've developed from Symmetric In Design to Pitch Black Progress makes me wonder just how jawdropping their next album will be.

At the rate they're currently putting albums out we probably won't have to wait long to find out. :headbang:

I worship Scar Symmetry. Not as much as I love Mercenary, but these bands perform one of my favorite styles of metal. And they both remind me alot of Gardenian, who will always be one of my all time favorite bands. It's so great when I would put Symmetric on at work (And we just got a promo of the new cd for the store!!! :D), people always note how amazing his clean voice is, but he sounds like he is vomiting when he is performing death. I always reply with, "well, he is vomiting. his soul, most noticeably." :p. haha. Back to the point, I would LOVE to see this band at PP. Or anywhere live, for that matter. ALL HAIL SCAR SYMMETRY!!

DarkTide said:
I quite like the new Mercenary disc "The Hours That Remain", but Pitch Black Progress is much more interesting to my ears. I did however like 11 Dreams better than either Scar Symmetry disc, but not by a wide margin. I think Scar Symmetry has Mercenary beat these days when it comes to musicianship.

Britt

I give the edge to Mercenary. 11 Dreams is by far the best album released by either of them IMO, although The Hours That Remain, while good, lacks the edge to live up to it's predecessor.
Scar Symmetry's albums are both worthy contenders I think, and if Mercenary fits at ProgPower then Scar Symmetry should also.

The reason I give the edge to Mercenary is that their sound is more unique. While they both play Melodic Death clearly Scar Symmetry is more heavily influenced by the Gothenburg formula.

its not bad, very similar to Mercenary. Scar is much better without the death growls, just really unnecessary plus too many bands are doing that nowadays anyway. This guys clean vocals are much better. If they did a growl here and there to emphasize certain words it would be much better.

BlackenedDawn said:
I worship Scar Symmetry. Not as much as I love Mercenary, but these bands perform one of my favorite styles of metal. And they both remind me alot of Gardenian, who will always be one of my all time favorite bands.

Well, I adore Scar Symmetry and Mercenary as well as most bands of the Gothenburg sound, but until your post had not heard of Gardenian. I downloaded an album and loved it so I checked Ebay and was able to pick up "Sindustries," "Soulburner," and a few other metal albums (Eidolon, Vanderhoof, Mundanas Imperium (sp?), and Steel Prophet) brand new for a grand total of 20 bucks including shipping. Thanks for the recommendation, I can't wait for the discs to come in.

For anyone who loves the new Mercenary CD or either of the last two Scar Symmetry discs, you really need to check out Soilwork's "Natural Born Chaos", and to a lesser extant, "Stabbing the Drama" (if you haven't done so already). To my ear, Scar Symmetry is simply a poor man's Soilwork, with Swanoesque clean vocals. And Mercenary's latest, while well done, was most certainly composed with Soilwork's model for success as an inspiration.

Zod