The Official Sat. Headliner Suggest Thread

St Enigma said:
Nightwish haven't even started to look for a new singer yet, even they are flooded with demos from hopeful applicants from all over the world. This was according to Tuomas Holopainen in one of latest interviews a couple of weeks ago.

Arjen Lucassen says in this fresh interview made two weeks ago on tour with Stream Of Passion in Germany:

They are playing half the set their own and and another half Ayreon material and that'll be as close to live Ayreon performance you'll ever get.

Maybe they could put up some kind of small tour starting from PP to cover the costs, like many European bands have done.
It wouldnt cost too much to ask from Arjen, would it?

I guess I got something mixed up (sleep dep :loco: ). I thought I had read before, that they had already picked one, but to not believe any speculation as to who it was. Thanks for the correction.

As far as Stream of Passion playing Prog Power, I'd be all for that! Looking at them as a new band with only one CD, they're obviously not ready for/established enough for headliner status at PP. But, they have Arjen and you said that half the set is Ayreon songs, so looking at those factors, they would be qualified for headliner status. But, Glenn said that anything involving Arjen would be too expensive. But, I would gladly pay extra to see Arjen in any of his bands/projects!

The Coastal King said:
...and if it is Kamelot, Khan and Simone can do their things.

Because of that factor, Kamelot would be among my top choices, aside from the fact that Kamelot alone deserves a headliner spot!

The Coastal King said:
Threshold and Enchant are both quality contenders from the lighter side of the spectrum.
Agreed! Also, Glenn would be even more unpredictable if he had Enchant headline PPVII!

I know that Stream of Passion doesn't quite fit in the headliner criteria at PP, but this is a rare chance when Arjen goes out for touring with any of his projects. And they have performed in small clubs (300-400 people) on this tour, so the cost for a gig cannot be rocketing through the ceiling. But you can't tell before asking, can you?

Oh well, it's just another idea.

THey rarely tour the US and when they do it is a short one, and something usually happens to shorten it. They still put out consistent material and have a huge catalog that a prestigious slot like this would let them take advantage of. Aren't they doing a 25th Anniversary "Night out with the boys" tour in europe that we would never get over hree? Saxon? Oh hell yeah :)
jeff

zinescene said:
Man, anyone that hasn't heard Wheels of Steel, Motorcycle Man, Denim & Leather, 747, Princess of the Night, Strong Arm of The Law, Dallas 1Pm, Power & The GLory, Crusader, Play it Loud, Just Let Me Rock, Sailing To America is missing some great metal. They are an incredible, very energetic, live band and would be a perfect 2nd choice to close the festival!!!!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :worship: :worship: :worship:

trentdk said:
Vanden Plas has a new album coming out in April, and they seem open for Sept.

Maybe the Dio thing could be worked on again?

Sonata Arctica should be done with their tour by that time... ;)

Hard to find a bigger VP fan than I, but I am not sure VP has enough following to be a headliner at PP. After the next release, maybe they could jump to fourth slot but they have taken quite a while on this new release and the buzz for VP has died down due to that. I am looking forward to their new release though. It will be a pre-order for me certainly.

Bryant

Ascension said:
Not sure if he is big enough alone...but l did suggest Obsession who he recently joined with Mike Vescera. Of course, maybe still not big enough.

I don't think they are big enough, but that is cool news. Mike was one of my fave Malmsteen vocalists. I would like to hear that.

Bryant

BenJAMin said:
UDO DIRKSCHNEIDER!!!!

Maybe UDO as a name isn't that known, but all these power metal bands are inspired by Accept and he'd definitely play some Accept songs.

Barring that, Helloween, HammerFall, Bruce Dickinson would be awesome but I can't see that ever happening. There's no "Bruce Dickinson band" and I'm sure he'd charge good money to get ready for a show.

I was pulling for Accept last year as they did a reunion, but I don't know how much of a pull U.D.O. has really.

Bryant

My ideas:

Vanden Plas - I honestly think they are 4th slot material (not due to quality, but following) but I am basically a fanboy and others here seem to agree.

Mike Howe era Metal Church reunion. This ain't gonna happen. It is a dream, more or less but I think Howe era Metal Church is the epitome of American powermetal.

Fates Warning - Fathers of modern prog-metal....

Yngwie - Don't know who is singing for him now, but this guy has been at it for 25 years.

Helloween - (not a favorite of mine) fathers of modern powermetal.

Accept - (Not going to happen) Kings of metal R.I.P.

Iced Earth - heavy hitter in the field

Bryant

Bryant said:
My ideas:

Vanden Plas - I honestly think they are 4th slot material (not due to quality, but following) but I am basically a fanboy and others here seem to agree.

Mike Howe era Metal Church reunion. This ain't gonna happen. It is a dream, more or less but I think Howe era Metal Church is the epitome of American powermetal.

Fates Warning - Fathers of modern prog-metal....

Yngwie - Don't know who is singing for him now, but this guy has been at it for 25 years.

Helloween - (not a favorite of mine) fathers of modern powermetal.

Accept - (Not going to happen) Kings of metal R.I.P.

Iced Earth - heavy hitter in the field

Bryant

I can see Fates Warning, or Helloween...But Yngwie? I dunno, one of the best things about PP is the bands like to hang out with the fans, have a beer, and shoot the breeze. I would bet a ton of money that Yngwie would hang out in his hotel until about 10 minutes before his set, then get on a plane right after it without so much as saying HI to the fans.

At least that is what he did the last time I saw him.

Iced Earth is good, but they tour the US all the time, don't they? I am pretty sure they headlined the HOB concert in Orlando with Evergrey and CoB a couple of years ago--maybe their exposure level in the states is too high.

I keep going back to either SymphX or Brainstorm--Andy plays the crowd like a violin (in addition to being one of the damn nicest guys on the planet!!!!) and who can argue that Sir Russel is a consumate performer...either of them would be terrific--and both deserve to hit us with 2 hours of material.

How about Lacuna Coil ? Anyone dig them ?
Armored Saint ? (Though I would dig the Howe Metal Church, I think this is "tioo" oldschool) Had to add it, because it's pure powermetal.
Wolf - Don't know if they are headline material, but they are pretty excellent.

Bryant

I have now read 14 pages of posts...from the ones mentioned I heavily support/think could happen:

Rob Rock (particularly if he played some material from some of his 4000 side projects)
Primal Fear
Freedom Call

I would also be interested in a cool melodic rock band headlining a la Harem Scarem, Jeff Scott Sotto, Ten, or even Whitesnake.

My votes:

-Running Wild-
Okay... Not really a popular band here in the U.S., but with their long standing career, high influence on metal (just look at the list of alumni!), their new album is due out this year, and the fact that I don't think they've been on the American shores since the mid-80's (?) would justify a headlining slot. Of course - Rolf would have to scale back on their stage show, which he has mentioned that he would never do, even if Running Wild were offered to play the U.S. - I'm sure it would not be cost effective.

It however boggles my mind how there are so many power metal fans, and yet are still unfamiliar with one of the godfathers of the genre. If you’re a non-American resident, this bands name is always mentioned in the same breath as Helloween, Rage and Grave Digger when it comes to German metal legends that coined the phrase "power metal".

I think many would be surprised, and they would do quite well -

- Grave Digger -
See above for about the same explanation. Of course, they were here in the states not to long ago, but This festival would showcase them in a much better atmosphere.

-Jag Panzer-
Another long running career band - and one that didn't really tour the U.S. for their last album. I know, I know... They're not Glen's cup of Tea per say, but I'm going to nominate them as a band that would slay live as a headliner, and deserve the slot.

-Enchant-
Prog-lite? LOL! I have seen them nominated, and I will concur with the nomination. You can read the thread that Rick started and pretty much all the positive opinions there reflect my feelings as well. One of the most amazing, long standing progressive rock bands that seems to be overlooked far too often.

-Helloween-
LOL... It's worth a try? The place would go apeshit!

-Fates Warning-
So they won't even return Glens emails/phone calls? Won't even bat an eye? I say we just flood them with fan request! These guys think there to good for this festival? I think NOT! Shame on Jim for turning his nose up to this opportunity. I feel it's time someone talks sense into the man and got these guys to commit to the slot.

-King Diamond-
I'm not kidding! LOL!
No, really... I just wanted to add this to give everyone something to roll their eyes at.

-Threshold-
Damn...my wife and I agree on this one, and I think many will - these guys must return as a headliner! One of the most amazing performances I ever witnessed was these guys a few years back at the festival. Astounding form beginning to end!

- Crimson Glory: The reunion! -
Need I even explain this one? LOL! If the rumors are true that they have indeed reformed to the nearly all-original line-up, this would be big time.

Well, that's all I can think of this early in the morning....

\m/
Dustin

Has anyone mentioned Judas Priest yet? If Dio was a possibility, then why not Priest? Halford's not as bitchy about American audiences as Bruce Dickinson is...

Greykiller said:
I can see Fates Warning, or Helloween...But Yngwie? I dunno, one of the best things about PP is the bands like to hang out with the fans, have a beer, and shoot the breeze.
I keep going back to either SymphX or Brainstorm--Andy plays the crowd like a violin (in addition to being one of the damn nicest guys on the planet!!!!) and who can argue that Sir Russel is a consumate performer...either of them would be terrific--and both deserve to hit us with 2 hours of material.

Great post ! I love Andy B. Frank. I could deal with him at every PP, but some might get bored. How about Vanden Plas ?

Bryant

Dustin said:
-King Diamond-
I'm not kidding! LOL!
No, really... I just wanted to add this to give everyone something to roll their eyes at.
I think that would be killer. He puts on a great show. The only problem, as someone mentioned about Yngwie, is he is almost "too big" to do this fest. I don't think he'd mingle.

Personally, I think having Kamelot and Epica back to back would be too perfect to pass up due to the Kahn/Simone connection.

Glenn already mentioned Kamelot as a one of the "safe" bands he'd consider, and it just so happens that the spot that opened up is immediately after Epica. This was no coincidence! This is fate!

Nate

Mercenary -- Yes I'm serious. Move them to headliner spot. and get a new one for theirs.
Rhapsody
Finntroll
Tristania
Dimu (wtf not).

Any one of those... would be pure bliss.