The Top 50 Discs of 2013

my take on the Best of 2013. More on the heavy side!!!

Royal Hunt will be in my 2013 as soon as I listen to the whole album.

1) Wolfheart – Winterborn - From the MASTER Tuomas Saukkonen from Before the Dawn, Black Sun Aeon. This album is a Masterpeace. My birthday present from my wife? A plane ticket to attend a concert in February......

2)Volbeat- Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies

3)Týr – Valkyrja - Pure Folk from Faroe Island

4)Amon Amarth - Deceiver of The Gods - Viking, Melodic Death? Just Great

5)Stratovarius- Age of Nemesis

6)Helker - En Algún Lugar del Circulo/ Somewhere In The Circle - Heavy/Power from Argentina

7)Keldian – Outbound - Great Prog and Power from Norway. This album reminds me of Voyager

8)WarCry – Inmortal - Heavy Rock from Spain. I just love the Heavy stuff from Spain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfEcs_BPRiM

9)Dark Avenger - Tales of Avalon - The Lament - From Brazil. Great production and great power metal

10)Violator - Scenarios Of Brutality - Old Thrash. Tons of Riffs

11)Dark Tranquillity – Construct -

12)Wisdom - Marching For Liberty -Straight Forward Power Metal from Hungary
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of994haPt34&list=PL4nUr9ekczs_RV27SHQhPyafhr44uOUC4[/ame]

13)Omnium Gatherum - Melodic Death

14)Gloryhammer- Tales of the Kingdom of Fife
15)Amorphis- The Circle

16)Electronomicon - Unleashing The Shadows - Heavy/Power Metal with the singer from Helker

17)Shade Empire – Omega Arcane - Melodic Death

18)Saxon – Sacrifice

19)Carcass – Surgical Steel

20)Epysode- Fantasmagoria

21)Serenity- War of Ages

22)Masterplan- Novum Initium

23)Witch Cross - Axe To Grind - Old Heavy Metal from Denmark

24)Mutiny Within – Synchronicity - Dark Power Metal from USA(I think)

25)Orphaned Land- All is One

26)Persefone- Spiritual Migration

27)Frosttide - Awakening - Folk/Melodic Death

28)Turisas - Turisas2013

29)DGM – Momentum

30)Battle Beast - Battle Beast

Last edited by a moderator:
So...I always ask...what "unknown" bands did you find that you want to check out further based on what you heard with the clips?

In my case, it was some of your top picks, Divided Mult and Disperse. These were not unknown to me and I had checked them out but neither ever made it into an order et al. You having them so high in your list was enough for me to order them without a second looksee, no-brainer.

Definitely Lord from Glenn's list; had no clue and it is awesome. From the other list, that band Keldian sounds great! I also loved Caligula's Horse whom I knew about from Ken Golden, but just blew it off with all the shit that is out there. After watching and listening to the video, it's now time to purchase...

So...I always ask...what "unknown" bands did you find that you want to check out further based on what you heard with the clips?
Armory, Lord, and Evertale.

I always love these lists because no matter how much I try to keep up, I know you're going to have a handful of releases that I totally missed but will enjoy.

I caught Armory from an earlier thread, or maybe it was on another site, but really like them. I pulled together a handful of bands from this list that were on Spotify, and have been slowly listening to them when I can. Of the couple I've listened to, I've really enjoyed Divinity Compromised. It did get me back into the Orphaned Land catalog which has been fun. I'll probably listen to Divided Multitude tomorrow.

As soon as the bands are announced I add them to my to-buy queue on amazon so I can catch up and be ready for the next year. So all of next years bands, including your number one, is already queued up ready to be bought.

I look forward to this list every year (for the last few years anyway) and always find new stuff to add. I ended up with ten new albums in my queue based on this list, and your number two might just be my number one!!!! (Wait...did that sound wrong? lol)

This reminds me of being introduced to Kingscrow and Beyond the Bridge, two years ago with your number 1 and 2 picks this year. Not sure they'll hit me as hard as those two did, but they are desert island discs for me now, and hopefully I'll add those two new ones to the list.

17 are all new to me. I'm feeling pretty far behind the curve!

And....I miss Angel Dust too! Mercenary is not a replacement for me. The music seems tight, but the vocals kill it for me personally.

Thanks for the Divided Multitude recommendation. When I saw them announced for PP, I checked out Guardian Angel. Not bad, but it did not make a huge impression. After this thread I picked up Feed on Your Misery, and it is amazing.