The Top 50 Discs of 2013

8knRayb.gif

Haha. So good.

Haven't heard the Hollow Haze.

Ohhhh. That's something which MUST be remedied ASAP. Killer disc.

Didn't hear any of the others prior to making the list. Not in a hurry to either on a few of those you listed based on previous experience with them.

*shrug* You're only cheating yourself out of a great listen. Especially when you can listen before you buy SO easily. The Laneslide, Newman and Rage Of Angels discs are so good that they speak for themselves.

Kind of wild that we have different taste? :D

No. I'm never really surprised when people have differing tastes. It's what makes life so interesting. But I have known you long enough to know that we love a lot of the same kinds of bands. And I am particularly surprised when I know there are discs you would probably love but refuse to listen to for whatever reason.

*shrug* You're only cheating yourself out of a great listen. Especially when you can listen before you buy SO easily. The Laneslide, Newman and Rage Of Angels discs are so good that they speak for themselves..

Actually, it's more about getting the word out when it comes to the fringe genres I still listen to. To explain...

I still enjoy AoR & heavy melodic rock, but it has slipped down the totem pole in terms of preferred styles. As a result, it is not a genre that I actively seek out new bands in like I do prog/power/heavier stuff. If I do come across it in my daily travels or see a review in PowerPlay, then I do automatically give it a listen. Any video posted here on the forum gets a listen. However, I have never seen mention of those specific examples to warrant seeking them out when I could be listening to or searching for the next trippy, growly Pink Floydian rip-off bands that I enjoy.

Now that you have pointed the good wuss stuff out, I will absolutely go back and listen when I have a moment...except for Fate if they still have the same vocalist. :)

Actually, it's more about getting the word out when it comes to the fringe genres I still listen to. To explain...

I still enjoy AoR & heavy melodic rock, but it has slipped down the totem pole in terms of preferred styles. As a result, it is not a genre that I actively seek out new bands in like I do prog/power/heavier stuff. If I do come across it in my daily travels or see a review in PowerPlay, then I do automatically give it a listen. Any video posted here on the forum gets a listen. However, I have never seen mention of those specific examples to warrant seeking them out when I could be listening to or searching for the next trippy, growly Pink Floydian rip-off bands that I enjoy.

Now that you have pointed the good wuss stuff out, I will absolutely go back and listen when I have a moment...except for Fate if they still have the same vocalist. :)

I'm with you on the melodic/AOR stuff, still like it for what it is, just not as high on the list as it used to. It's rare to get a WET cd release (the 1st one), when something like that comes out, there is usually a buzz that I'll take notice. I still pick of the releases in those genres, but I'm noticing more and more that I toss them to the side after a listen or two. I have a lot of releases mentioned above, the Rage of Angels, Newman, etc., while pretty good, I find myself throwing in Kingcrow or Seventh Wonder.......It would probably do me good just to wait for that occasional WET release, and stick to those melodic bands that I've been a fan of for years...like Harem Scarem, PC69, etc.

I understand, I just can't relate.

Like you, my tastes have evolved through the years. Good example - when thrash first came down the pike I hated it. Then I grew to tolerate it. Today some of my favorite bands are thrash - Testament, Dark Angel, Forbidden, Angelus Apatrida, Evile, etc, etc, etc. But...just because I grew to love another sub genre of metal didn't mean I stopped loving the more melodic stuff I had always loved. In other words, my tastes didn't change - they broadened. So while I now listen to a lot more and varied stuff, I'm still passionate about the stuff I was passionate about back then. I can't relate to "losing interest" in music that once excited me. It's just never happened to me. Bought Survivor - Too Hot To Sleep the week it came out in 1988, and it still has a rotation in my playlist today.

Now, I do on occasion get a bit bored with listening to hard music in general. And I will take a few days break from it - listening to jazz, country, bluegrass, classical...all kinds of stuff. But I don't stop liking heavy music. Still love it. Just need variety in my listening.

First thanks a ton for taking the time to do the list and post all the links.. Having my first day off for the rest of the year, I got to watch every one of 'em and disgest.

I love the diversity of the list - if everyone can't find SOMETHING to listen to, you are totally in the wrong place. Heck, my brother hates what I like but I know for a fact he'd love the Five Finger Death Punch and I plan on intro'ing him to Trivium.

And I'd like a seat on the Disperse bus - HOLYOHMYGEEZ!!! And I totally geeked out over the Epysode tune - I absolutely fell in LOVE with that tune.. I haven't gotten new music in some time but I now have a list of 8 that I'll be checking out (if I can find them all!!!)...

thanks again Glenn (and Jen!!!!)