The Top 50 Discs of 2013

I'm digging several of these. I need to go back and listen through and mark which ones because I've listened to them over the course of the week.

Album samples from 'Digital Lies' below for anyone interested.

Plus the two other 'videos' from the album so far. We have another 2 to 3 more on their way in the new year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Divided Multitude recommendation. When I saw them announced for PP, I checked out Guardian Angel. Not bad, but it did not make a huge impression. After this thread I picked up Feed on Your Misery, and it is amazing.

Giving it a shot myself. Sounds like the better parts of Disturbed mixed with a touch of Lfe of Agony. Not bad for a newer (to me anyway) band.

^ Whoah that actually sounds like a badass combo and now I'm gonna check it out (and hold your feet to the fire if your description isn't 100% spot on!!!:lol:)

Where can I buy that Tierramystica album? I couldn't find it on Amazon, eBay or GEMM.

Now, is available... :headbang:

link below:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Heirs-Sun-Tierramystica/dp/B00H8BAPWC/ref=sr_1_1?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&sr=1-1&keywords=Tierramystica[/ame]

I put comments for stuff I was most interested in, or most disappointed in... :).

47. Orphaned Land – already own it and love it. A step down from Mabool, but a HUGE step up from ORwarriOR.

46. Aryeon- The Theory of Everything – own it and not digging it much yet.

43. Amaranthe- The Nexus – haven’t picked it up yet, but I’m a fan.

42. Vangough- Between the Madness – Not bad. Will investigate more.

38. Caligula’s Horse- The Tide, the Theif, & River’s End – New to me and I really like what I hear.

33. Witherscape- The Inheritance – Pretty cool stuff.

32. Serenity- War of Ages – Have it, love it.

31. Stratovarius- Age of Nemesis – I’ve never been a big fan, but this track is pretty cool.

29. Armory- Empyrean Realms – Pretty cool sounding. Not sure if I’ll check out further as it doesn’t distinguish itself from the masses much for me.

27. The Ocean- Pelagial - Pretty good. Will probably check out more.

17. Lord- Digital Lies – Another cool track, but like Armory it doesn’t do anything to distinguish itself for me.

16. Leprous- Coal – Have it, hasn’t grabbed me the way Bilateral did. Will definitely give it more spins and am looking forward to their PP set.

12. Tierra Mystica- Heirs of the Sun – Not bad, may check out further.

5. Volbeat- Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies – Their weakest release for me. It isn’t bad, but I rarely pull it out when I’m in the mood for some Volbeat.

1. Divided Multitude- Feed on Your Misery – Definitely one of the sets I’m most looking forward to this year. New to me and while I still haven’t picked up any of their discs, I will be remedying that after the holidays.

Thank you SO MUCH Glenn for including the Stratovarius disc.....it just may end up being my #1 of the year. I haven't enjoyed a Strato disc like this in a LONG time......top to bottom all killer!! :headbang:

Very surprised that their new one has not been discussed as much as I thought it would have been as it clearly makes my top 5 of the year. The emotion in Clays vocals, the musicianship, the melodies.... Absolutely amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/officialvangough

These guys will kill it in Atlanta. A shame they will only be playing the Wed night show and not be on the main stage as they definitely deserve it IMO. No disrespect Milton as I appreciate you bringing them down to open the festivities. I will be right up front rocking out as I did a few years back when they played the pre-party. Can't wait (if the wife lets me go considering we are having our first child next year!):headbang:

Very surprised that their new one has not been discussed as much as I thought it would have been as it clearly makes my top 5 of the year. The emotion in Clays vocals, the musicianship, the melodies.... Absolutely amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/officialvangough

These guys will kill it in Atlanta. A shame they will only be playing the Wed night show and not be on the main stage as they definitely deserve it IMO. No disrespect Milton as I appreciate you bringing them down to open the festivities. I will be right up front rocking out as I did a few years back when they played the pre-party. Can't wait (if the wife lets me go considering we are having our first child next year!):headbang:

I agree with you about this album deserving more praise, and also take no disrespect by your comment. I also think they should be on the main stage, but I can tell you it will be very special having them on Wednesday night as well.

And once again, congratulations for the little one coming up. You'll fall in love all over again. :)

I agree with you about this album deserving more praise, and also take no disrespect by your comment. I also think they should be on the main stage, but I can tell you it will be very special having them on Wednesday night as well.

And once again, congratulations for the little one coming up. You'll fall in love all over again. :)

Thanks buddy, appreciate it and one hell of a job with the kick off!:Smokin:

Good to see all the love for Lord! I've been a fan for a very long time and I think they're long overdue for some wider praise!

Strong list bro! Even discovered a few that I hadn't heard before...liked AzaZello and Persefone quite a bit.

These discs are among my favs as well.

Aryeon - The Theory of Everything
Hell - Curse & Chapter
Protest The Hero - Volition
Haken - The Mountain
Divinity Compromised- A World Torn

However, I would have ranked all of them quite a bit higher up the list. In fact, the Ayreon and Haken are likely to make my Top Ten. The others could easily be in my Top Twenty for sure.

I guess I was most shocked by what didn't make your list...at all. For one, I gotta get behind Zod and question why Hollow Haze - Countdown To Revenge gets no love here. Has to be one of the best progressive power metal releases of this or any year - with Fabio singing like I've never heard him sing before. Lalu - Atomic Ark...really? Not even an honorable mention? I could go on with others but...

And to add insult to injury you wrote: "Either I wasn’t in an AOR mood this year or most of the releases sucked. Perhaps it was somewhere in between." Seriously? C'mon now!

Find Me - Wings Of Love
Place Vendome - Thunder In The Distance
Fate - If Not For The Devil
Laneslide - Flying High
Newman - Siren
Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall
Diamond Dawn - Overdrive
Rage Of Angels - Dreamworld
Eden's Curse - Symphony Of Sin

Just to name a few. None of these are worthy AOR/Melodic Rock releases?

I guess I was most shocked by what didn't make your list...at all. For one, I gotta get behind Zod and question why Hollow Haze - Countdown To Revenge gets no love here. Has to be one of the best progressive power metal releases of this or any year - with Fabio singing like I've never heard him sing before. Lalu - Atomic Ark...really? Not even an honorable mention? I could go on with others but...

And to add insult to injury you wrote: "Either I wasn’t in an AOR mood this year or most of the releases sucked. Perhaps it was somewhere in between." Seriously? C'mon now!

Find Me - Wings Of Love
Place Vendome - Thunder In The Distance
Fate - If Not For The Devil
Laneslide - Flying High
Newman - Siren
Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall
Diamond Dawn - Overdrive
Rage Of Angels - Dreamworld
Eden's Curse - Symphony Of Sin

Just to name a few. None of these are worthy AOR/Melodic Rock releases?

Haven't heard the Hollow Haze.

Lalu...good disc, but didn't make the cut.

I did enjoy the Magnus a lot, but simply enjoyed those above it more. If Russ would have sang more, it would have been Top 10.

Didn't hear any of the others prior to making the list. Not in a hurry to either on a few of those you listed based on previous experience with them.

Kind of wild that we have different taste? :D

Serious question: Didn't Pink Floyd already do all of this...and so much better?

8knRayb.gif