Top 50 Discs of 2014

1. Voyager

No surprise that Voyager topped the list. V is their masterpiece in my opinion. I can't wait to see my mates from Perth perform not just once, but TWICE next year at ProgPower USA

2. Evergrey
3. Dynazty
4. Delain
5. Triosphere
6. Vanishing Point
7. While Heaven Wept
8. Epica
9. Need
10. Vanden Plas
11. Elvenking
12. Project Arcadia
13. Scythia
14. Amaranthe
15. Silent Force
16. Sinbreed
17. Persuader
18. Primordial
19 .Overkill
20. 21 Octayne
21. Kobra & The Lotus
22. Harmony
23. Devin Townsend Project
24. Hemina
25. Sanctuary
26. Anubis Gate
27. Divine Ascension
28. Black Fate
29. Allen/Lande
30. Riot V
31. Within Temptation
32. Xandria
33. Freedom Call
34. Pretty Maids
35. Brainstorm
36. Iron Savior
37. A Sound of Thunder
38. Thoughts Factory
39. Cea Serin
40. Flaming Row

I am 100% behind this Flaming Row album and I WAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT IT. *grabby hands*

I don't think I listen to enough new music to even compose a top 10, but I do have a top 5:
1. While Heaven Wept - Suspended at Aphelion
2. Falconer - Black Moon Rising
3. Freak Kitchen - Cooking With Pagans
4. HammerFall - (r)Evolution
5. Edguy - Space Police

Honorable mention to Within Temptation - Hydra

Falconer would have been #1 except goddamn, that WHW album is fucking genius. Tom outdid himself overall, and I daresay that it is Rain's best vocal performance to-date.

Welcome to the Top 50 of 2014 list!
Great write up as always.

46. Sister Sin- Black Lotus: I have noticed a pattern with my enjoyment of female vocal driven bands. I prefer the raspy, ballsy approach over the opera or silk smooth variety.
This... a thousand times this. I know I'm a genre snob, but I'm not a sexist. I like women in metal... but they have to be metal singers. Just as I don't want to hear George Michael front a metal band, I don't want to hear Elize Ryd, Liv Kristine or Simone Simmons attempt to do so either. That said, give me a big serving of Liv Jagrell, Nina Osegueda or Veronica Freeman and I'll ask for seconds.

45. Brainstorm- Firesoul
I think this is their finest moment and bordering on a Top 10 release.

39. Sanctuary- The Year the Sun Died
I agree it's a Warrel solo disc, but with some absolutely stellar guitar work. More please.

36. Black Fate- Between Visions & Lies: Let’s be brutally honest. If you weren’t blown away by how close the vocals mimic Khan, then you are either deaf or attend the First Church of Khan (“There can be only one!”).
And a better version of Khan than Khan has been for years.

34. Ne Oblivscaris- Citadel: I don’t get the hype.
Neither do I. Ne Oblivscaris is one of those bands who throw 300 riffs in a bag, seemingly pick them out and place them within their songs randomly, and call it a record.

29. Vanden Plas- Chronicles of the Immortals
Given we know they plan to simply release part two to this train wreck, can we officially stick a fork in this band? It's approaching ten years since Christ 0.

28. Behemoth- The Satanist
Top 5 for me.

26. Anubis Gate- Horizons
I'm a bit surprised you're not higher on this record. As you said, great headphone disc.

25. Amoral- Fallen Leaves & Dead Sparrows: I believe I described this as Circus Maximus with an edge when I first heard it. I’ll stand by that based on the vocal delivery and overall guitar tone as well. I’m predicting they take it to the next level with their next record now that the word is getting out.
Nice recommendation. I need to check this one out.

23. Septic Flesh- Titan
:yow: You feeling OK bro?

22. Elvenking- The Pagan Manifesto
I really tried with this record, but I just don't get it. Everything on this record is clearly of a high quality, but the songs just don't grab me.

21. Red Circuit- Haze of Nemisis: In many ways, elements of this disc are what I believe Vanden Plas is missing. Instead of the theater, they bring the *crunch.* Chitty’s vocal bite continues to contrast nicely with the warm melodies.
Dead on. Red Circuit are better at being Vanden Plas than Vanden Plas is.

16. Insomnium- Shadows of the Dying Sun
Another record I just don't quite get. I love the second track, but the rest just leaves me cold.

11. Daydream XI- The Grand Disguise: Symphony X & DGM fans…stop what you are doing and listen.
Investigating.

8. Overkill- White Devil Armory: I am one of the heretics that enjoy the new Overkill just as much as the old Overkill.
Count me among the heretics.

7. Voyager- V
I really like this band, but find this to be a very top-heavy release.

2. Dynazty- Renatus: Simply put, it’s the catchiest disc of the year. In my best FM radio voice…”all killer…no filler.” It stomps on the melodic metal gas pedal from the first note and never lets up. “Starlight” is a prime example of brilliant songwriting. It was the tune I went to in the gym the most to help me kick it up a notch.
This.

1. Evergrey- Hymns for the Broken
I didn't see this coming. Evergrey? Talk about your surprise endings. Holy M. Night Shyamalan!!! :loco:

No Power Pop from Amaranthe - Massive Addictive on that list? I like it, not as good as previous but its growing on me with more and more listens. I will check out bands I do not know on that list and hopefully I can find a few new ones to dig.

Bear

Not a whole lot of mention here, but the new Xerath has been kicking my ass since it was brought up in a couple of places. Normally, I don't go for the harsh vocals, but the epic brutalness of the music really hits me hard. You definitely hear the Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend influence. Definitely is up there in the bands I want to see on the 2016 roster.

Also just got the new Iris Divine album this week. Probably too late for a list like this, but it is pretty good.

Boy I have a lot of releases to look into. Ones I didn't see that make my top 10 of the year: H.e.a.t.'s "Tearing Down the Walls" & Harem Scarem's "13".

Glenn, I always look forward to your list. I always miss a few great releases, but your list always helps to correct that. I have just ordered 6 disc as a result. I already have about 15 of your choices that will make my top 40 list. Thanks!

Man, that in Search of Sun sounds awesome, but I am not paying $50 on Amazon for it...

For many of the smaller releases, particularly imports, Amazon is a horrible option. For example, the Flaming Row album is $19.99, when the band and many of the specialty options offer it for $16.

... give me a big serving of Liv Jagrell, Nina Osegueda or Veronica Freeman and I'll ask for seconds.

And here I thought I was just supposed to be cooking pies this week!

Great lists, everyone! And kind of helpful because I go through band phases and some of these I've never heard of.

For many of the smaller releases, particularly imports, Amazon is a horrible option. For example, the Flaming Row album is $19.99, when the band and many of the specialty options offer it for $16.

If Amazon even carries them at all. LaserCD appears to have a few of them, like Red Circuit, Triosphere, and Black Fate. But others that I want, like Daydream XI, only are available by download...looks like I'll try to wait for a physical copy later. Being a Prime member on Amazon, I do get to stream the current Vanishing Point for free...so I can see if I like that one prior to buying.