Until the next KD we have....Attic!

Why do the last 2 bands with killer vocals (for me anyways) like this (Attic and Ghost) have to sing about Satan and push the whole upside down cross thing, bah!

I know that's my own personal moral hang up, but, damn it! Really love the tune!

Because if they didn't no one would care.
It appeals to the impressionable youth.
It's pretty brilliant actually when you think about it.
It would not surprise me at all if this band gains mainstream attention.

Because if they didn't no one would care.
It appeals to the impressionable youth.
It's pretty brilliant actually when you think about it.
It would not surprise me at all if this band gains mainstream attention.

I highly doubt mainstream attention for them. I am sure they will do good if they can stick it out. SO many bands seem to start off strong and then either fade out or break up.

the tune is a good copy of MF, but for me, one KD/MF is enougth. The King is a god in my book (so to speak), no need for imitations. Now excuse me while I go listen to some of the original.

Pretty tight. King Diamond content wise was always a lot less about the satanism themes as found in Mercyful Fate, and more so about Stephen King like horror stories. I don't care for the Satanism either, but I've been a fan of his since the early 80s for the musicianship and his voice, if you can believe it he was pretty much my metal idol. Them and Abigail are amazing. I'd add Conspiracy as well. Mikkey Dee is a killer drummer and was very sad to see him leave. Hasn't been the same since. As a true metal fan I will also say I like both King Diamond AND Nightwish:) But I think I'll pass on the peepee punching haha.

Forgot to add that Fatal Portrait is what I think blew me away, a freaky song like the Candle.

^ I should add, that King Diamond is one of my all time favs. I can feel comfortable listening as long as lyrically the whole Satan thing doesn't pop up everyyyy song. The only Mercyful Fate I listen to regularly is "In the Shadows" (it seems more like a KD album to me lyrically). I also agree that the holy trinity of Abigail/Them/Conspiracy is quite genius and amazing.

AND count me in the King Diamond and Nightwish club, actually both are in my top 10 bands probably :)

^ I should add, that King Diamond is one of my all time favs. I can feel comfortable listening as long as lyrically the whole Satan thing doesn't pop up everyyyy song. The only Mercyful Fate I listen to regularly is "In the Shadows" (it seems more like a KD album to me lyrically). I also agree that the holy trinity of Abigail/Them/Conspiracy is quite genius and amazing.

AND count me in the King Diamond and Nightwish club, actually both are in my top 10 bands probably :)

Does it matter if the Satanic stuff is obviously not serious, or is it a deal breaker regardless of intent? Just curious.

@MetalAges: If the Satan stuff bothers you, look into the band Trial. Similar (and better) than Attic, less Satan.

Portrait's also worth a try, but their lyrics are pretty Satanic.

In Solitude is hands down the best band in the 'occult/Satan heavy metal' revival that's been going on the past few years. Their lyrical themes deal more with the Occult than with Satan, so might be up your alley, but be warned....Satan pops up in some of their songs, too.

Midnight Priest is a similar band. Their lyrics might be about Satan for all I know, but they're in Portuguese, so can't tell you for sure!

I'd also recommended Walpurgis Night. They're probably the most different out of the bands I already listed, and coincidentally, I found out about them through a split they did with Attic earlier this year, but the songs are very well written.

Does it matter if the Satanic stuff is obviously not serious, or is it a deal breaker regardless of intent? Just curious.

I guess it depends to what extent it is.

@dcowboys311 - I actually bought Portrait based on a tune I had heard, and didn't realize it was uber satanic - crushed! I really liked the tune.

Kinda goes the same for Dimmu Borgir - I love the music I have heard and they're the close epitome of metal/orchestral that I love.

I also really dug the new Ghost song I heard the other day.. grr.

I guess it depends to what extent it is.

@dcowboys311 - I actually bought Portrait based on a tune I had heard, and didn't realize it was uber satanic - crushed! I really liked the tune.

Kinda goes the same for Dimmu Borgir - I love the music I have heard and they're the close epitome of metal/orchestral that I love.

I also really dug the new Ghost song I heard the other day.. grr.

If you like the Dimmu style you may dig some Hollenthon. I have no idea what they're singing about, but I don't think it was over the top. Check out their Domus Mundi album.

Good to hear I'm not alone haha. I hear you man. The way I've looked at it is the Mercyful Fate stuff is more so stories, stories about covens, interactions between covens etc maybe also a play out of psychological and emotional expressions of negative interactions with the church, besides it being kinda gimmicky (like for shock value.. Nuns Have No Fun though..? kinda tongue in cheek and or corny too) which he kinda admits on his site in the Q&A section. While I find it disturbing, I kinda understand it and can still appreciate the music even though you won't find me singing along with parts of songs that express love, adoration to or for Satan. Don't Break The Oath, while much more heavily satanic in nature, musically speaking I think is incredible. The mix of that album impresses me heavily.

A band like Ghost seems very gimmicky, has a sort of dark humor to it and it doesn't bother me that much really. I find it entertaining and kinda funny really. The way they put it together is pretty brilliant. Comparatively there's a brilliance with King Diamond I don't really know how to express. He's definitely unique.

Can handle Dimmur as well for most part. Love the symphonic and grand aspects of their music contrasted with the aggressive extreme sound, mixing higher ranged full voice parts with the growls and death vocals.

A band like Ghost seems very gimmicky, has a sort of dark humor to it and it doesn't bother me that much really. I find it entertaining and kinda funny really. The way they put it together is pretty brilliant. Comparatively there's a brilliance with King Diamond I don't really know how to express. He's definitely unique.

I think anybody that takes Ghost seriously has serious psychological issues. It's totally evident that they're taking the whole Satan thing in a tongue and cheek fashion, almost like they're making fun of other bands that are like that.

I think anybody that takes Ghost seriously has serious psychological issues. It's totally evident that they're taking the whole Satan thing in a tongue and cheek fashion, almost like they're making fun of other bands that are like that.

exactly. Just by reading thier facebook page updates and banter between songs live it is all not to be taken seriously. It is called "entertainment".

Hahaha. Yea seems pretty clear that's the case. Very amusing to watch these guys. Think it would be fascinating to have a discussion with them, in or out of character, though preferably more so out of character, to pick their brain on what they were intending with the band concept. Can't think of any other band who's doing this and are at this caliber. Lots of bands use humor, Helloween, Edguy, Gwar, Circus Maximus, Trick or Treat etc but can't think of anyone doing this. Do you or anyone know of anyone else doing something like this?

@MetalAges: If the Satan stuff bothers you, look into the band Trial. Similar (and better) than Attic, less Satan.

In Solitude is hands down the best band in the 'occult/Satan heavy metal' revival that's been going on the past few years. Their lyrical themes deal more with the Occult than with Satan, so might be up your alley, but be warned....Satan pops up in some of their songs, too.

Midnight Priest is a similar band. Their lyrics might be about Satan for all I know, but they're in Portuguese, so can't tell you for sure!

I'd also recommended Walpurgis Night. They're probably the most different out of the bands I already listed, and coincidentally, I found out about them through a split they did with Attic earlier this year, but the songs are very well written.

Could you please recommend a song or two from each that are great as a first listening experience with them? I guess ones considered their best songs?

I used to think this as well with In Solitude, but Attic just took the throne for me. I love this Attic album so much.

Why do the last 2 bands with killer vocals (for me anyways) like this (Attic and Ghost) have to sing about Satan and push the whole upside down cross thing, bah!

I know that's my own personal moral hang up, but, damn it! Really love the tune!

I honestly think it really is about the total "throwback" to that time when bands were singing about Satan much more. That topic seemed to become dominated by the Black Metal bands after awhile so it's just coming back full circle with the new bands playing the old school style.

Plus on a merchandising angle, Satan sells way more merch to fans. haha.