You too can plan a Metal Fest!

Whatever your scene is, you MUST support it within metal or that will go away.

BRAVO!!!

As much as I hate paying retail prices for CD's, I've been trying to purchase more of my metal CD's locally from retailers in my home-town so that they will actually bother to restock the stuff I like.

However when ProgPower rolls around, those vendors, as they always do, will get a ton of my hard-earned $$$!

EXPLODING NED'S, HERE I COME! :lol:

Well, this thread has really taken on a life of it's own. I appreciate everyone's comments and it has been very valuable reading everyone's insight as to what bands will draw and the different ideas of holding festivals in America versus elsewhere.

When I started this thread, I originally thought I'd get a few ideas for my roster, but I've actually more or less saved this entire thread so I can use the information in the context of actually planning the festival as a whole.

Thank you all for your contributions. The ProgPower community is truly a one-of-a-kind group for insights of this kind. All of you should be proud to be here -- there are no other fans like you anywhere in the US.

With gratitude,
Nathan

I have said this before, the Internet has killed the concept of a scene.
Back when I was first going to shows in the late 80s, you went to gigs and traded demo tapes with others to learn about bands.

Now any joe blow can go into Hot Topic, see a cool Cradle of Filth shirt, and research them to death online. By the end of the day, he will know every wave of black metal and most likely tell you he is an expert in the genre.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the internet, as it is a great way to research and sample bands. At the same time though, I do miss the excitement of first hearing a band from actually seeing them live or getting that band in a trade.

There hasn't been a solid metal scene in Chicago for a VERY long time. I am not sure how it is in other cities.

Could be too that the underground isn't as underground as it used to be, so there are enough gigs without having people look to only local shows.

while that is true, I would hate to think that I would only know bands that come thru central Arizona as not all tours come thru central Arizona. I love experiencing bands for first time live don't get me wrong and I still do in this day and age.

That said, I think it is cool how many bands I can discover in all the genres of metal I support from all over this tiny planet. Heck as much as I hate them, Job for a cowboy from Arizona had fans in Australia, Japan and all over Europe before they even did any sort of even minor touring thanks to myspace. A kid in Russia can discover a band that I have going in my town thanks to the internet. It is tape trading cyber space wise.

Everybody has their reasons as to why we can't have a Wacken-styled festival here. Are any of you wrong on this? In my opinion, you're all right. Any business venture taken by an true entrepreneur, i.e., one who is taking a major financial risk and not someone with money to burn, is scary. The cards are always stacked against you. Take Glenn, for instance. So far, he's the only promoter in the country who has taken a festival dedicated to a niche market for heavy metal, stuck to his guns, hasn't rested on his laurels when met some success, and has managed to keep his festival going for over five years. I use the timeframe of five years because I've noticed many festivals dedicated to metal don't last past that mark. Now take into account everything that is working against him:

--Progressive and power metal sales are weak in this country compared to those of most genres of music
--Only a small percentage of people in this country are willing to travel to see a festival of this type, let alone frequent the festival every year (and that includes people who claim to love this music)
--Promotion on a major scale is difficult because the mass media demands huge amounts of money for advertising
--The more popular bands of this genre cost more money to bring over due to travel expenses

These factors can easily be broken into sub-factors. When you look at it from this point of view, it's hard to believe that Glenn has managed to keep this thing going. However, in reality it seems that there are no signs of the fest going away in the near future. Everybody has their reasons for explaining this as well, but I think that what it comes down to is that Glenn is a realist. He didn't start this show thinking that he could compete with Wacken, and he's not trying to do so. I think his goal is to put on the best possible show that he can. He also realizes that it takes a shitload of work to do this right. I don't know any promoter who does as much research on bands and puts as much consideration into all of the factors/stakeholders of the festival as Glenn does. Before I get accused of ass-kissing, I just want to conclude by saying that I thought the title of this thread is misleading, as I may be able to dream up a metal fest, but I don't think I could properly execute it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Although different genres of metal, Maryland Deathfest has been going since 2003. It continues to get about 1000 people each year. It has people travelling from the US and Europe. Ryan and Evan do a well job with their fest as well. In their cases, they are bringing underground grind,death, and goregrind - styles of which are also much more supported overseas. I would still say Glenn does alot more for Progpower though.

Florida,Pt Richey(Boubon St Club)
I'd have this in Feb,as peole want to get out of the cold that time of the year.
I'd build this on a # of local monster bands,mainly a Crimson Glory Reunion and some form of Savatage
CIIC would be a must as well.
So
I guess
Friday night
Crimson Glory
CIIC
Riverside
Aghora

Sat Nite
Some form of Savatage
Brainstorm
Rob Rock
Outworld

Now if you want a band to really get your festival into high gear, and to let the crowd know what type of festival you have then have

ETERNITY BLACK open the show talk about getting a crowd going, OH MY GOD!!!!