You too can plan a Metal Fest!

SwordLord

Attack!
Sep 20, 2004
St. Paul, Minnesota
www.myspace.com
Attention all Metal Enthusiasts,

So let's say that you were planning a two-day metal festival to debut in the summer of 2008.

What would you do?

Would you make it cross genre or focus on one genre?

What are the "hot-bands-about-to-explode" that you'd put on the bill?

What are the "nobody's-heard-of-them-but-if-they-did-they'd-be-big" bands you'd add?

Who would your headliners be?

Now we've had 10,000 threads about fantasy line-ups, dream concerts, etc. That's not what I'm looking for. I am actively searching for serious, "Glenn-style" input about bands that would draw at a decent ticket price, think $30-$60.

If you are the kind of person who tracks record sales, past shows, and mixes all that around when you post -- this is your chance to shine. :zombie:

So post away ... and make it good because there could be a big surprise in store for you ... just maybe.

Thanks,
Nathan

Some bands I think have a strong fanbase but have been neglected in the USA are

Nocturnal Rites
Mystic Prophecy
Rob Rock
Machine Men
Dionysus

Some bands I think have a strong fanbase but have been neglected in the USA are

Nocturnal Rites
Mystic Prophecy
Rob Rock
Machine Men
Dionysus

Your definition of "neglected in the USA" is definitely different from mine. Particularly considering that Nocturnal Rites was the biggest draw at last year's Chicago (USA) Powerfest, and Mystic Prophecy was invited this year but cancelled. These bands are neglected here, but bands who haven't even been given an opportunity to play here aren't?

I think sticking with a specific sub-genre limits your options. Most people I know who like Metal, like many flavors. It seems that ProgPower and, to an even greater extent, Heathen Crusade have pigeon-holed themselves a bit. Glenn has a wider range, since his festival caters to two sub-genres and he's worked in the concept of a wild card. However, if I was going to build a festival, that I hoped would be able to continue forward, I'd want as much latitude as possible.

Why summer? The reason I ask is, you're going to limit yourself to the U.S. audience. No one from overseas is going to fly over, when Europe is loaded with festivals come summer. Why not spring?

If I was building a festival, I'd try to lock down Pyramaze for their first U.S. appearance. You essentially buy the Iced Earth audience, without having to pay Iced Earth. That said, you'll lose a percentage of that on airfare.

If Pyramaze isn't realistic, I would start by locking down a somewhat exclusive headliner and build around them. Who that is, depends on too many factor to throw names out at random; tour schedules, recording schedules, etc.

Good luck.

Zod

Your definition of "neglected in the USA" is definitely different from mine. Particularly considering that Nocturnal Rites was the biggest draw at last year's Chicago (USA) Powerfest, and Mystic Prophecy was invited this year but cancelled. These bands are neglected here, but bands who haven't even been given an opportunity to play here aren't?

When I say neglected I dont just mean a one off show. I mean bands I think can do the small venue short USA tour thing.

I know the original topic was asking a bit of a different question but these are a few bands I think can "draw" in the USA.

Why summer? The reason I ask is, you're going to limit yourself to the U.S. audience. No one from overseas is going to fly over, when Europe is loaded with festivals come summer. Why not spring?

Spring is starting to get more and more crowded with festivals... this year, we had Chicago Powerfest, Bay Area Rockfest, Minneapolis Metal Mayhem, Female Voices Metal Festival, and Texas Madfest (I can't remember the exact date of this one, but it was either late spring or early summer), and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Most of these fests drew lower-than-expected crowds, and I blame the festival overcrowding situation -- US fans aren't ready, time-wise or money-wise, for a festifal citcuit like Europe has.

With the exception of ProgPower, it seems like summer has a shortage of festivals featuring the types of bands that Nathan is looking for input on -- and ProgPower isn't even in the summer this year, it's in the fall. I'd say summer would be a perfect time for an additional fest, especially if it's going to be in Nathan's neck of the woods (the great white north), and it would be a perfect time to catch one or two good bands while they'll be touring the US anyway.

Day 1 Headliner at top:

Amorphis (not sure if enough drawing power for headliner)
Brainstorm
Green Carnation
Manticora
Scale the Summit

Day 2

Anathema
Dream Evil
Apocalyptica
To-Mera
Cloudscape

I think I need to edit the headliners since they would draw on the same crowd. Although they are both bands that I am dying to see.

Night 1:
Headliner: DAD
3: Fair Warning (or Thunder)
2: House of Lords
1: STURM und DRANG

Night 2:
Headliner: Gotthard
3: Starbreaker
2: The Poodles
1: Brother Firetribe

This would definately be in the $100/$150 range though for tickets.

bands that would draw...plus havent been on American soil....

Elvenking
Ensiferum
Freedom Call
Machine Men

bands who would be great in the middle slots

Tyr
Dragonland
Dark Moor
Falconer...they have played the states but they are a great band so Hey!

I'd love to see Anathema in the US!

They have a new record coming out early next year, they have a cross-genre appeal. they haven't played in the US in a long while, and will have a supposedly bigger label behind them... and they are one of my favorite bands :saint:

There's already a premier fest in the states for power and prog so mine will be different by pulling from all genres of rock/metal.

Like Glen, they will be bands I like. Period.

I'd probably start with 8-10 bands, 4 or 5 each night/day.

Location = Florida.

I always told myself if I were ever in a position to make my own show with big name acts MOTORHEAD would be my primary target followed by Anthrax. After them everything else would fall into place in my own imaginary perfect show booking world.

Funny, now that I put some thought into it after these 2 bands I drew a blank. With my tastes the first year could look like this:

FRIDAY
Motorhead
Anthrax
Jon Oliva's Pain
Silent Force
Beautiful Creatures

SATURDAY
the Cult (recently reunited perfect opportunity)
Arch Enemy
Brainstorm
WWIII
Lennon

As you can see, all over the map musically. But, at least it's something different and not trying to copy someone else's format.

I think sticking with a specific sub-genre limits your options. Most people I know who like Metal, like many flavors. It seems that ProgPower and, to an even greater extent, Heathen Crusade have pigeon-holed themselves a bit. Glenn has a wider range, since his festival caters to two sub-genres and he's worked in the concept of a wild card. However, if I was going to build a festival, that I hoped would be able to continue forward, I'd want as much latitude as possible.

I agree with this. I have discussed this with some people who seem to think that mixing it up is not a good way to do it. But I think that a variety of bands from different genres is more interesting. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going nuts ...

The main reason I was thinking about summer is because I didn't want to compete with Chicago PowerFest and isn't BWBK in the spring also? At any rate, your point about European festivals is a good one and one that I had not considered up until now. Thank you! I will keep that in mind.

You essentially buy the Iced Earth audience, without having to pay Iced Earth

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's pretty shrewd thinking!

However do you really think that the average Joe-Metal has found out that Barlowe is now singing for Pyramaze? If they saw the Pyramaze logo on a festival, would they immediately think Barlowe or would they go, "Huh? Who are they?" I can honestly see that being a coin toss and a hefty one at that if they are a headliner.

Thanks for your great input, I was hoping you'd respond.

Nathan

With the exception of ProgPower, it seems like summer has a shortage of festivals featuring the types of bands that Nathan is looking for input on -- and ProgPower isn't even in the summer this year, it's in the fall. I'd say summer would be a perfect time for an additional fest, especially if it's going to be in Nathan's neck of the woods (the great white north), and it would be a perfect time to catch one or two good bands while they'll be touring the US anyway.

I agree with all points here.

Also, let it be known that I am not going to go anywhere near Glenn's festival nor will this festival (if it gets off the ground) be power-prog in slant. Currently, all I have is the most amazing venue that you could ever see a festival perform in. Now all I need ... is the damn festival! :zombie:

Elvenking
Freedom Call
Dragonland
Dark Moor
Falconer

RIGHT ON! Great suggestions, especially Freedom Call, why didn't I think of that?!

I am worried about going overboard with "bands that have never played the US." That's all good in theory but that can be a real coin toss (look at practically any festival besides PP and you'll see more losses than wins when it comes to booking in this manner).

But obviously one or two of these bands is necessary to get some interest.

Great stuff, thanks!

I always told myself if I were ever in a position to make my own show with big name acts MOTORHEAD would be my primary target followed by Anthrax. After them everything else would fall into place in my own imaginary perfect show booking world.

Funny, now that I put some thought into it after these 2 bands I drew a blank. With my tastes the first year could look like this:

FRIDAY
Motorhead
Anthrax
Jon Oliva's Pain
Silent Force
Beautiful Creatures

SATURDAY
the Cult (recently reunited perfect opportunity)
Arch Enemy
Brainstorm
WWIII
Lennon

As you can see, all over the map musically. But, at least it's something different and not trying to copy someone else's format.

Wow.

Thank you for some excellent suggestions. MOTORHEAD is inspired, I just wonder what they are charging these days. In 1994 they wanted $5,000 but then again it was ... 1994.

Brainstorm is coming up a lot and I think that's a great suggestion, especially since Andy Frank is so excited about the US and is such an amazing frontman, how can you *not* love that band?!

Anthrax is another great suggestion except now that they've toured ... maybe the hype is gone?

Arch Enemy definitely is on my list as a death metal band I would want. I was actually thinking of them for my Female Metal Festival too ...

Thank you! I appreciate the hard work that went into that post.

Add to your list Nathan

MINDFLOW
SCALE THE SUMMIT(unknown, but a really on the verge band)
SILENCED WITHIN (same as above)
MACNINE MEN
DARK MOOR
TO-MERA
OUTWORLD
ANUBUIS GATE
NOCTURNAL RITES
SPHERIC UNIVERSE EXPERIENCE

Pharaoh
Hammers of Misfortune
Canvas Solaris
Nightingale
Ron Jarzombek something or another.
King Crimson (they play limited shows, but still getting them would be great)
Manilla Road
Turisas
Beyond Fear

(So right you you'd have Fripp, Ron and Swano... that brings out fans who absolutely just love these guys. Most of these bands shouldn't cost killings to bring to a festival)