You too can plan a Metal Fest!

I find myself torn on the issue that Deron brought up. I will chime in and give my honest thoughts from both a business perspective and a personal stance.

First, I do not mind other festivals or shows to be promoted here one bit. I welcome it. I also don't mind threads on the final roster or experiences provided they are consolidated and not spread out all over the place. Other festivals such as Madfest, Barfest, and other ProgPowers do things this way and I'm fine with it. I want to support them as they have supported me in the past.

However, I do get bothered by those that wish to discuss the business side of things here including solicitations for roster suggestions specifically. For example, I am interested in booking the power metal band, "Cock Blockers." I haven't told anyone because my gut feeling says they are the band to book and I want to surprise my audience. Now, I haven't started the official booking process yet for whatever reason. In the meantime, Promoter X comes in and asks for band thoughts and several people love the idea of some Cock Block. He takes that idea and books them for his own festival immediately as his date is closer than my next show. I lose out in this situation because you only want to get Cock Blocked once.

On the flip side, there is nothing to stop promoter X from reading every single wishlist that is posted on here and booking based on that. That happens all the time. With that in mind, I let this thread go. Superfan Nathan is only trying to help the scene and I applaud him for that. I just prefer that he take future posts on bookings to his own forum as a courtesy.

I don't think any other festival promoter would want me coming into their forum and talking about my potential roster and having it potentially effect their plans.

Damned if you do...Damned if you don't....

I understand now... not being a promoter myself, I didn't even consider that side of it.

and also, a comment... I don't think Cock Blockers are the band to get... they are total Cock Knockers clones.

Luckily Glenn, 95% of us don't care if another festival had a band or not. We come to ProgPower, in part, because all the bands you (and Shane) choose to put under one roof over 2 (to 3) days.

I find myself torn on the issue that Deron brought up. I will chime in and give my honest thoughts from both a business perspective and a personal stance.

First, I do not mind other festivals or shows to be promoted here one bit. I welcome it. I also don't mind threads on the final roster or experiences provided they are consolidated and not spread out all over the place. Other festivals such as Madfest, Barfest, and other ProgPowers do things this way and I'm fine with it. I want to support them as they have supported me in the past.

However, I do get bothered by those that wish to discuss the business side of things here including solicitations for roster suggestions specifically. For example, I am interested in booking the power metal band, "Cock Blockers." I haven't told anyone because my gut feeling says they are the band to book and I want to surprise my audience. Now, I haven't started the official booking process yet for whatever reason. In the meantime, Promoter X comes in and asks for band thoughts and several people love the idea of some Cock Block. He takes that idea and books them for his own festival immediately as his date is closer than my next show. I lose out in this situation because you only want to get Cock Blocked once.

On the flip side, there is nothing to stop promoter X from reading every single wishlist that is posted on here and booking based on that. That happens all the time. With that in mind, I let this thread go. Superfan Nathan is only trying to help the scene and I applaud him for that. I just prefer that he take future posts on bookings to his own forum as a courtesy.

I don't think any other festival promoter would want me coming into their forum and talking about my potential roster and having it potentially effect their plans.

Damned if you do...Damned if you don't....

Good valid issues.

I always wanted to do my own mini fest but due to $$$ was never realistic. I do however have all kinds of ideas when it comes to promotion, and bands I think are worthy. :kickass:

Oh man, what a read this thread is!
How ya doing folks? I haven't posted here in a while.
I heard about this thread from some others and had to read it.

I wish to express my opinions on festivals in the US.

First of all, certain festivals, such as Milwaukee Metalfest and Prog Power, whether you are a fan of the fests or their bands, were successful for various reasons. First and foremost was the timing. Milwaukee Metalfest began at a time when not as many overseas bands were touring regularly. Everyone has their own opinions of this fest and its promoters, and pretty much all has been said, so no reason to go any further. That being said, when I started attending that fest in the late 90's and a couple times beyond, I saw bands I simply could NOT see anywhere else. Well, 10 + years later, it is a different story. Think of your local metal venue. How many shows are there a month with touring bands? Probably at least 10 or more. This was not the case 10 plus years ago.

To make this more relevant to THIS forum, let's talk about Prog Power. Instead of being all across the board musically, Prog Power created a niche festival that appealed to the prog metal and power metal crowds. I have never been to one, but I have heard nothing but postives from those who have attended in the past. It seems to be a very professional and well-run festival. Prog Power has seemed to apply the business saavy absent from prior US festivals. This festival, obviously, continues to be a success today, and from many of its faithfuls, I consistently hear, "I will go regardless of who plays".

Fast forward to 2007.
Nowadays, overseas bands from almost every metal genre tour regularly in the states. Sure, there are TONS of bands from every genre who have yet to reach American soil. I do have to ask though, what is your festival going to offer that is unique? Maybe nothing unique other than the line-up. If so, then more power to ya! These days though, it seems if anyone puts together a show with 10 or more bands, they call it a festival.

I think a festival needs to be a LOT more than just a collection of a number of bands over multiple days. I think back to fests like Milwaukee Metalfest that would attract as many labels and vendors from around the world as bands and fans. That made for more of a cultural experience as a musical one.

Well, these are some of my opinions of US festivals.
This is in no way meant to be a dis towards anyone who has done a fest or who plans to do a fest. I have attended various US festivals in the past few years (IE - Milwaukee Metalfest, Chicago Powerfest, Alehorn of Power, etc). They were all a blast in their own way.

good point, and the main reason I do not post suggestions.

Also funniest darn thing I've read on forum talk in months...best punch line ever.

Nathan, you have already heard many of my suggestions first hand (and if you need a refresher, I'll be more than happy to recap on Labor Day).

I just hope that this thread is not an indication of a cancellation of a certain other festival that you recently started, as that would make this a very sad day for me. :cry: :cry:

200 people? On the outskirts of Chicago? Subtract the people who went just to go, the people who bought tickets when Chris and Rob were promising something big, and those who were friends of the various bands, and you're left with maybe 50 people who there to see Atheist. Let's be fair, drawing 50 people doesn't make you a proper headliner.

Zod

200 people? On the outskirts of Chicago? Subtract the people who went just to go, the people who bought tickets when Chris and Rob were promising something big, and those who were friends of the various bands, and you're left with maybe 50 people who there to see Atheist. Let's be fair, drawing 50 people doesn't make you a proper headliner.

Zod

thank you...I have been saying this for a while now. For a fest you need a current band who is a draw and something to make a the fest stand out. The only downside of how Powerfest was handled was that the atittude of "it is a metal fest and people should support it" thing going on. You just cant have a show and expect people to come from all over. You need to make it something different than an average show. Seriously...there was so much open room at the fest. Even funnier was the people who were up front guarding thier sacred front row spot where you could literally just walk up front anytime you wanted.

thank you...I have been saying this for a while now. For a fest you need a current band who is a draw and something to make a the fest stand out. The only downside of how Powerfest was handled was that the atittude of "it is a metal fest and people should support it" thing going on. You just cant have a show and expect people to come from all over. You need to make it something different than an average show. Seriously...there was so much open room at the fest. Even funnier was the people who were up front guarding thier sacred front row spot where you could literally just walk up front anytime you wanted.

Amen!! I think their choices for headliners so far below par that it was ridiculous.

I would think that for a new fest you would have to go for bands that were known, kinda on the verge maybe, but at that stage where they're still affordable. Then maybe get 1-2 veteran bands that aren't that expensive on there to anchor it.

Newer bands....
Beyond Fear
Cellador
Halcyon Way (ahem)
Vainglory
Outworld
stuff like that

Anchor types...
Sacred Reich
Flotsam & Jetsam
Annihilator
Paradise Lost
Trouble
and so forth...

maybe your anchor types are bands that have been out a while, have a following, but don't play much or are on a reunion kick...which might make them affordable but lend the fest credibility.

My $.02.

Anchor types...
Sacred Reich
Flotsam & Jetsam
Annihilator
Paradise Lost
Trouble
and so forth...

maybe your anchor types are bands that have been out a while, have a following, but don't play much or are on a reunion kick...which might make them affordable but lend the fest credibility.

My $.02.

Trouble dont draw crap in the states anymore....they played a few shows in Chicago and some were crowded and some were empty from what I heard.
Flotsam and Jetsam and Sacred Reich would do much for attendence either....Powerfest had Atheist and they didnt do much for attendence. Paradise Lost are currently on the Nightwish tour so no point to have them play. Getting older bands is a hit more miss thing.