Album of the year!!!

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I know this is off topic, but I want to spread the Gospel!!!

A couple of days ago I e-mailed Metalages inquiring about his site, and ended up asking him what he thought of the new "Star One" CD. He said it was his album of the year for 2002. And after just one listen to it yesterday, I have to agree. This CD is fantastic, great vocals, awesome atmosphere, catchy vocals. This CD kicks butt!! This is the first CD I have heard from Arjen (I think thats how you spell it?) of Aryeon. I have never heard Aryeon before, but rest assured I will buy all those CD's now!! I have to reccomend this to everyone. But buy the double disc Special edition the second disc has some awesome songs including a cover of "Space Oddity" And the packaging is awesome a Digipack that looks like a book, and I agree with Metal Ages, I would love to see something like this at future ProgPower festivals, I think Arjen could pull it off.

Are those the guys who have Bruce Dickinson and other famous artists appear? Or is that the Transatlantic guys? Always get them mixed up.

Either way, this is ambient music right? It's not just something you can pop into the CD player...

Can you describe the music and why it should be album of the year - I mean, if its that good, I'll get it! :)

A bit early to start handing out the Album of the Year award - it's only May (where I live)! :)

August 26th should change everything....

This CD has a sci fi atmosphere to it. I would say it's more Prog than ambient, the vocals are great Dan Swano and the Lead singer of Symphony X (Mental block, can't remember his name) among others, I just found it a thoroughly enjoyable listen, it is obvious he put alot of hard work into this CD. From the packaging to the lyrics this CD oozes quality. I find it a nice change of pace from the music ,I typically listen to i.e Edguy, Skylark, Gamm Ray etc. But, getting the 2 CD version is essential. I have a feeling:that version will not last long at most mail order companies. To wrap this up, is it my Favorite album ever...no. But it's well worth the price of admission and offers something for everyone. BTW I got Elvenking too, awesome CD

Jeez - there is too much out there...I love this free shipping at The End!

I just bought:

Edguy - Savage Poetry(2000) and Kingdom of Madness
Elvenking - Heathenreel
Silent Force - Infatuator
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Agalloch - Stone, Wind, Pillor
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Threshold - Hypothetical
Devin Townsend - Infinity
Blind Guardian - IFTOS (just to have it on CD)
Time Machine - Evil
Autumn Tears - Crystalline Dreams

So far so good - another good shopping spree (except Devin Townsend - needs a few more listens I think!). And I have a bunch coming in from Sentinel Steel including Destillery which everyone is hailing right now, and White Skull, Freedom Call, and Twisted Tower Dire.

What an age we live in. :lol: :lol:

Maestro,did you get the Savage poetry that came with the original versions, it's pretty cool. Time Machine's "Evil" is good. "Kingdom of Madness" is ok. I think Destillery are alright I got their CD "Ferrum" pretty basic straight ahead power Metal "very Maidenish" I agree with you I have spent alot in the last 2 weeks on CD's

Star One
ElvenKing"Heathenreel"
edguy "Vain Glory opera"
Thy Majestie
Kraze "Devil in Disguise"
Zero hour "Towers of Avarice"
Morbid Jester "Gates of Vahalla"
Dragonland "Ivory...."
Supreme Majesty E.P
Eddy Antonini "When water becomes ice"
Skylark "Princess day"
Mind Odyssey "Signs"
Mesmerise "Off the beaten path"
Madsword "Global Village"
Nameth "Chrysalis"
Shadows of Steel "S/T"
aRACHNES "Parallel Worlds"

Unfortunately, The End only had the Savage Poetry 2000 edition. That's cool though. I may pick up the other version at PP3. No rush.

From the MP3's I've heard of Thy Majestie, I'm impressed. I'm getting that next....I hear Highlord are pretty good too?

Elvenking is just blowing me away right now - wish I'd got this sooner. (Although production could be less tinny and have more bass crunch perhaps?). Still, this is awesome.

Dragonland is really interesting - intro includes typical epic soundtrack type composition, kicks into a double bass singalong opener, and then ventures towards this slower tune which includes a female vocalist (not opera style) - very effective. Andy LaRoque is a pretty good producer. I thought Evergrey's In Search for the Truth was phenomenal too.

Don't tell me you're only just getting Vain Glory Opera now???? You call yourself an Edguy fan! :lol: Vain Glory rules - How Many Miles and Out of Control are metal anthems.

Destillery's second CD is supposed to be awesome (not Ferrum) - I asked around. I think I may like it (along with Twisted Tower and Wolf). I don't have enough old school stuff right now - Silent Force is ok, but I need some harmony galloping guitar leads like Murray/Smith style...!

Time Machine is fantastic - thanks for that recommendation.

I'm venturing into new territories next - other than Thy Majestie, I'm going to get some Bathory, Falkenbach, and Mithotyn (who later became Falconer - that's a good CD too!). In any case, I need something heavy these days - too much wimpy stuff lately.

Right now, I've got Kreator playing - Violent Revolution - incredible!!!

Star One:

Vocalists- Dan Swano (Nightingale), Russell Allen (Symphony X), Damien Wilson (ex-Threshold), and Floor Jansen (After Forever).

The disc kicks ass.

Glenn H

Maestro, I heard you said you wanted to try Grave Digger, I reccomend "Excalibur". The CD is heavy as hell, yet has some very catchy: melodic songs with a slight rhapsody twist. The singer's voice is rather harsh, but cool. As far as Vain Glory Opera, that was the last Edguy CD, I needed, my collection is now complete!

I don't have this, but a certain friend of mine plays it every single time I'm around him (*g*), so I've gotten to hear a bit of it... I wouldn't call it "ambient" at all... it's very "metally" in fact, IMNSHO. My personal favorite track, tho, is the "hidden" one--don't know the title, but it's the "Intergalactic Laxative" one... lol

Seriously, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Shaye

Originally posted by EDVANTASIA
Maestro, I heard you said you wanted to try Grave Digger, I reccomend "Excalibur". The CD is heavy as hell, yet has some very catchy: melodic songs with a slight rhapsody twist. The singer's voice is rather harsh, but cool. As far as Vain Glory Opera, that was the last Edguy CD, I needed, my collection is now complete!

Thanks Ed - the Grave Digger CD I have is "The Grave Digger" and I'm really impressed (and nicely surprised)! I love the old Mercyful Fate stuff and you can definitely hear the influence. Some people don't like the vocal style, but I think it is quite apt for the subject matter!

I've got some Falkenbach and Mithotyn coming my way too - venturing to the darker side....muwaha hah ha ha.

Are you trying to tell me that you hadn't heard Vain Glory Opera up until now!!?? Holy shit man - that CD rules. You just struck gold! Nice one. :)

I tried getting a Black Metal CD "Nameth". I just can't get into Black/death metal Like I used to. I might buy an "In flames" CD or "Soilwork" Maybe I will jsut get another Grave Digger CD, The vocals are rough enough for me. Did you see that CD for the band called 'Winds" that CD sounds pretty cool

Yeah - some of it is too extreme. It is for certain moods. These days though, I can't get Kreator out of my CD player (Violent Revolution) - not that the vocals are death vox, but it is 'rough'. Musically, Kreator are second to none in the thrash world.

I have the The Ends sampler - Winds sounded ok. BUT, you HAVE to try Agalloch - "Of Stone, Wind, and Pillor" - this is one helluva album. Really atmospheric and moody - very ambient too. I was really impressed - and I'm a big fan of The End Records now (especially their Omega ordering site).

By the way, I think In Flames are weird. I would appreciate them more if they had slightly more brutal music - but they sound like a power melodic metal band with screaming vox, and it doesn't quite fit. Although, I only refer to Clayman - I do not have their other CDs.

Soilwork however - Natural Born Chaos... :headbang:

Between Penny, MetalMaiden1776, and Edvantasia, I am being bled dry...:lol:

I swear - you guys have the best recommendations...I love it...good thing I'm not a poor student anymore...:lol:...I need to buy stock in The End records. :)

By the way, I did order At the Gates (SotS) recently - haven't got round to it just yet.....can't wait based on all the accolades it's received.

Originally posted by EDVANTASIA
I know this is off topic, but I want to spread the Gospel!!!

A couple of days ago I e-mailed Metalages inquiring about his site, and ended up asking him what he thought of the new "Star One" CD. He said it was his album of the year for 2002. And after just one listen to it yesterday, I have to agree. This CD is fantastic, great vocals, awesome atmosphere, catchy vocals. This CD kicks butt!! This is the first CD I have heard from Arjen (I think thats how you spell it?) of Aryeon. I have never heard Aryeon before, but rest assured I will buy all those CD's now!! I have to reccomend this to everyone. But buy the double disc Special edition the second disc has some awesome songs including a cover of "Space Oddity" And the packaging is awesome a Digipack that looks like a book, and I agree with Metal Ages, I would love to see something like this at future ProgPower festivals, I think Arjen could pull it off.

Have to say, I hate this kind of cheesy 70's broadway type of music - sounds like something out of Starlight Express or along the lines of The Age of Aquarius...

Too many keyboards and cheesy Dr Who type science fiction sound effects. To like it is a matter of opinion obviously, but to call it The Album of 2002 is a bit exaggerated (especially since we are only in May).

David Bowie is a genius - this cover of Space Oddity is just disgraceful!! Maybe this is a love/hate thing because I agree with your nod towards bands like Edguy etc but I couldn't disagree more with your opinion on "Space Metal" :puke:

Star One is DEFINITELY my fav of the year still. Will take a miracle to remove it, but I'm all ears!

I saw someone mention Highlord above, I love their album "When the Aurora Falls". High caliber Italian based Metal. I am actually working on getting some of those in stock I like it so much. Unfortunately, the winger on Aurora is no longer in the band from what I hear.

I agree with the Wolverine comment above as well! If it were to have come out this year it would be in my #2 of the year position.

Other albums on my tops list include At Vance - Only Human and Archetype - Dawning!

As far as Star One goes, and Ayreon albums for that matter, while it may have ambient feelings at times it is in NO way ambient by classification. It really is hard to put Ayreon music into words because the music has so many influences in it. I mean, there's not many Metal albums that can have a Hammond Organ as a permanent fixture and still create such GREAT music like Ayreon/Star One. Not for my ears anyways.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend Star One/Ayreon material...especially the Ayreon albums Into the Electric Castle and Universal Migrator (2 CDs for those who don't know, for BOTH of those albums).

Arrrgh - why do people make statements about CD's being the album of the year and not back it up with a proper description?? I, for one, use the forums to pick up on ideas etc for what to order! Please provide more info... :)

With regards to this Star One / Space Metal thing, oh gosh - I bought it and had to return it. I guess it's all a matter of opinion. It's not that I mind the theatrics - far from it, being a lover of Rhapsody and Symphony X and other 'epic' types of exhuberance, but the "Space Metal" thing really does have that metallic Andrew Lloyd Webber "Jesus Christ Superstar" thing going on with overinflated pretentiousness of the Muppet Shows "Pigs in Space meet Stargate SG1". It gets so tedious and drawn out that there is nothing remotely 'catchy' about it.

It's interesting with the take on the hammond organ involvement. I guess it comes to a point that if you do want to venture down a path away from metal, why not just go all the way and experience proper classical music etc? At least you know it's going to be better. It's the same reason why Finntroll are such a joke to me - polka and black metal just doesn't mix IMO. I agree about At Vance - great album, but the Four Seasons piece is a waste of time. You're never going to do it better than Vivaldi so why bother? I'd rather have another song on the album than a poor classical cover (with no twists other than it being played on an electric guitar).

I'm not against fusion of sounds in anyway, I'm just trying to clarify the subject matter a little. I mean, do not get "Star One" thinking you're going to end up with an Edguy or Gamma Ray album. If you're going to make a claim that Star One is the album of the year to date, I would think it would be worthy to describe the music a bit more....otherwise the statment becomes a little sweeping.

It's not often I return a CD, but this one has to be god awful. I vote it as one of the worst CD's I've heard this year, to the point where I felt it was laughable to begin with, which later transpired to frustration in having spent the time and money ordering it. Sorry to go on, but I just feel that if an album is going to take the "album of the year" award, then it warrants some depth to the argument.