Album of the year!!!

I was rather disappointed with "Star One"... I think it's rather boring and unmemorable.

My favorite album of 2002 is Pain Of Salvation's "Remedy Lane".

Soilwork's "Natural Born Chaos" is probably No. 2.

Well, to defend my post there, i wasn't posting a lengthy review on my statement, merely giving a quick breif and then answering another person's question about the ambience of the album.

But, if you want a reason I personally think it is my fav album of the year I will tell you (mind you, we all have our own tastes and opinions so be nice :) )

The vocals. I have always been amazed at the quality of harmonies that Arjen is able to drag out of the singers on his album. Like on this one, the contrast of Damien Wilson, Dan Swano, Floor Jansen and Russell Allen. Not only are each of them top notch in their own right at their particular style but when you combine them, WOW! The layers are bone chilling.

The music. Is it Yngwie/Malmsteen/Symphony X over the top epic layered with classical choirs pouring from every speaker? Hell no, don't know where it was ever said that it was. What it is, despite not being those things, is unique. Not when you simply take the guitar lines alone and listen to those. But when you combines the guitars (as simple as they may be sometimes), add the bass, the drums, the Hammond, the other keyboards.....you get one fine tuned SONG. While these tunes do have some guitar/keyboard wizardry like on Master of Darkness... I don't think I would care of there was not one solo on this album. I am entertained by the song writing itself as a whole. I can't believe how much I get into that Hammond sound on this album. I have NEVER really liked that sound in itself. Reminds me big time of the 60s...not that I don't LIKE music from the 60s...but, you know. Combine the singing describes above with the music... you have even MORE of a song than they are on their own. I call it magical.

Also, why would you think that someone getting Star One is thinking they are getting Edguy or Gamma Ray? Just curious. I don't think I have seen one thing that even remotely compares it to those kind of albums. I don't even think I have seen it marketed eluding to anything close to those bands.

Again, everyone has their own taste and favorite bands, etc.. so I present my opinion on the album here. We heard yours and ProgMetalFans (I'll get you for that mister! ;) )....to each his own eh? :)

Star One, as well as Ayreon music, is unique... I don't know if I can compare them to a sinlge other band out there, which is quite an accomplishment.

thanks MetalAges :)

Just to clarify I was just trying to make a comparison to other bands just to further clarify the description - therefore, stating that this Space Metal does not sound like a Gamma Ray CD might help further define the sound....perhaps it didn't help though. But from my perspective, since this is a power/prog forum, I was just simply stating that the music is so unique, it wouldn't fall into those categories. It's just that if I was to cross-sell someone a CD based on this Space Metal thing, I would point them into the direction of something more like Yanni.

The point being, since Edvantasia started this thread (and he is a devout Edguy/Avantasia fan) I guess I made the mistake in thinking that anything he might have to advocate would perhaps be in the same vein? Of course, I am NOT talking on his behalf, and I would welcome his comments as to why he thinks it is the best CD of the year too - especially since Avantasia II is not out yet and I know he is quite vocal about Tobias Sammet.

I definitely appreciate your opinions and description, I only wish I had read them before trying out the CD myself. Oh well, no harm done...:)

My opinions on the CD are as follow, The reason I dig "Star one" is I usually listen to power/prog, and I find Star one a nice diversion, while still being in the Power/Prog realm. Is it my favorite CD ever?....no. I find the different vocalist pleasing, I find the music, exciting and kinda makes me feel like im in a Sci-fi film,when I turn the lights off;strap on the headphones and close my eyes. I know that sounds really gay! Their are very few albums I listen to, that let me escape this life and get away, I like music that takes me to other lands and worlds. Albums like Avantasia,Star One, Dream Theater "Scenes froma memory" I guess you could call it escapism. It's almost like living the music. Their are alot of CD's I like, but not many make me feel that way. Enough rambling, now I sound crazy!!! I bet Avantasia II will kick ass!!!

That's cool - I think that I was so surprised at how different Star One was going to be that I was displaced by its unique nature. I have such a huge collection of music - not all 'metal' and I find that some of the non-metal stuff (e.g. classical) serves a similar purpose to what you described.

I'm with you on the escapism - sure, if music can do that then it has hit the right spot. Think about movie soundtracks - the movie wouldn't be the same without the music!

I also am looking forward to Avantasia II!!

No prob hehe. Although I must add that I, too, love Edguy/Avantasia etc etc so how's that for throwing a monkey wrench into the Star One praising! LOL!

I too listen to everything from Yanni to Opeth and everything in between. Maybe what ruined it for you was you were looking to hear "this" yet you ended up hearing "that"? Who knows... once again the phrase "to each his own" will have to end this post! :)

.....and yes, can't wait for Avantasia II!

My main problem with Star One is that it isn't the departure from Ayreon that was suggested in prerelease information, but at the same time I was expecting something familiar, being a big fan of his previous work. And a few of the songs sound too similar.

Well, it is and it isn't. It is quite more "Metal" than Into the electric Castle. It is in the vein of Flight of the Migrator but you have to keep in mind both "Migrator" discs together are the "full" release for the Universal Migrator album. If you compare Star One in that respect it's still different. I think the main reason was that Arjen wants to keep the Prog Rock influence with Ayreon which is what he mostly kept in mind for the Dream Sequencer part of the "series".

Anyways.... :)

for you In Flames / At The Gates fans...pick up the new CD by DIMENSION ZERO.. features members of In flames and Marduk. Its great.

Also took a shot in the dark on a power metal band called MANTICORA... very nice. Singer has a powerful voice (not really high pitched), the music is very fast with some interesting changes during a few of the songs. I'm really glad I bought it.

Manticora eh? mmm, sounds intriguing. And I love both In Flames and especially At the Gates!

It's a bit difficult for me to suggest an album of the year this soon, and I have to admit, all the good stuff I'm listening to these days is from 2001. I feel 2002, although good, has been lacking so far compared to last year.

Best albums this year to date: Night at the Opera, and Natural Born Chaos. I also liked the Helloween Treasure Chest but I guess that doesn't count....?

Album of the year for 2002 for me so far is Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame. It is such a masterpiece. That is until the new Nevermore cd comes out, then that will just kick Rhapsody out of first place. I can't wait for the new nevermore because dead heart was a freaking masterpiece, and to me, one of the best damn albums of all time. Ever since I got it when it came out I listen to it like 2 times a day and it still keeps on getting better almost 2 years later. Gotta love it.

Shame on me - yes, add Power of the Dragonflame to my list. True masterpiece.

I wonder what Rhapsody will do next now that the story has ended. On their website it mentions something about them composing music for the next Lord of the Rings movie.

Seriously.... Star One as album of the year? It's ok, but I would never pick it over, say Symphony X or After Forever. Since neither of them have release a studio album yet, I'd pick something I consider of equal level: "A Night at the Opera" is kicking my ass. After that, it'd have to be Pain of Salvation.

Oh well.... I don't get Soilwork either
:rolleyes:

:D

For the purposes of this forum (and the styles of music mostly appreciated), I'd have to vote for Blind Guardian's 'A Night At The Opera' for my AOY.

Overall though, Arch Enemy's 'Wages of Sin' and Soilwork's 'Natural Born Chaos' are the 2 best released thus far IMO.

Nothing this year has really grabbed me by the balls except Immortal's latest. Soilwork sucks in my opinion.

The last album to really throw me through hoops was Green Carnation's latest, released late last year.

But I have high expectations for Primordial's new one coming in about two weeks. Also Dark Tranquillity's new one in August and NILE's "In their Darkest Shrines" coming later this year.

Could really care less about In Flames new one. I just hope it is more like their older stuff.

Anyone bothered with the new Manowar yet? Could that be a contender? :lol:

Still - couldn't be worse than the Star One thing.

The new In Flames one won't be like their old stuff - I bet it is even more "melodic" - but to be honest, Clayman grew on me over time so I wouldn't mind either way.

Anyone heard the latest Arcturus? It's getting mixed reviews everywhere. Some are saying it's magnificient.