Cheers and Jeers Thread

Film cameras were allowed - digital were not (I assume film = point and shoot to you?)

I too saw a few digitals in passing. After the initial entry through the door, there was no one enforcing the camera policy. So anyone could have gone back out later and brought whatever they wished inside. *shrug*

Granted we had VIP badges this time, allowing my wife to bring her Sony Alpha SLR. But still I would have been quite upset had that not been the case and saw a dozen digitals on the floor.

On the other hand I never noticed anyone trying to video anything with their digitals either. But then again I can't be everywhere at once. ;)

Just my two cents.

Cheers To:

1.) Shane and Glenn for allowing me the opportunity to assist on the stage crew this year as an intern. I really enjoyed it guys, thanks a lot. I really hope I was of some help this year.

2.) all the new friends I made in the crew
3.) MetalRose for being my best progpower friend this year!
4.) MeMa!!!!! just for being one of the most awesome individuals at the fest!
5.) My Dad, just for a ton of stuff but nothing specific.
6.) Magius for ABSOLUTELY LOVING PAGANS MIND! :heh:
7.) All the new people I met and friends I made this year.
8.) Mike and Bill from Cellador, for being two of the most genuine musicians that performed this year.
9.) Urban and Shaye hanging out with me for a bit and Urban taking the time to give me some tips and tricks when it comes to vocals and performance.
10.) Did I mention Magius for loving Pagan's Mind so much? He really loved Pagan's Mind. :p
11.) Wayne Joyner and BJ McKay (members of my solo project) for hanging out with me this weekend also!
12.) Lance King and his amazing performances and his work at the Nightmare Records Table as usual.
13.) Claus and Martin for that hilarious palm game and for being awesome friends of mine this year!
14.) Early announcement of bands for next year :headbang:

and last but never least -

15.) John Cheek for his friendship and trust in me with delicate information. You are definitely one of my personal Heroes man. Anything you ever need from me just let me know and I'll do my best to come through for you.

Jeers To:

1.) Smoke
2.) Smoke
3.) not knowing who the last two bands are for next year :lol: (*cough*SymphonyX*cough*Brainstorm*cough*)
4.) Smoke
5.) The drunk girl that smacked my ass and didn't give me her number. :loco:

Im sure I'll end up adding onto this list though!

Back OT:

Cheers:

Glenn, Shane, Crew and everyone who busts their ass for way more than just these three days to put on this festival.
Halcyon Way. I'm surprised no one has mentioned them in this thread so far. They stepped in with only a few hours notice and in my opinion did a fantastic job kicking off the Showcase. Both horns up from me.
Krucible. Throwing in the Queensryche and Dream Theater covers into the set were a nice touch, but hell, the originals are amazing too!
Freak Kitchen. Again a giant GOODY GOODY to IA, Christer, and Björn for a freaky good time. You gotta love a band who goes the extra mile and brings not one, not two, but THREE dildos to their performance! It was also cool seeing them at the airport this afternoon and getting to chat with them for a few minutes before boarding their Viking ship back to Sweden. They expect to arrive sometime towards the end of November.
John Macaluso & IA clinics. I could have listened to them both tell stories for the two hours alone, but as it turned out they also played some incredible music in between the humor. The combined jam at the end was a special treat.
Redemption. Incredible musicians abound in that band... Nick, Bernie, Sean, Chris and Ray - thank you for a stellar performance and a special thanks to Nick for the pick.
Pagan's Mind. Biggest surprise for me of the entire festival. I was mostly unfamiliar with their work (aside from them backing Jorn last year) but they absolutely floored me. Jörn Viggo Lofstead is a guitar god - easily in my top three, and Nils, Steinar, Ronny, and Stian together are an unstoppable machine! Not only a full set on Friday, but they learned 22 cover songs for the Saturday jam. That's dedication. I bought the only CD (Enigmatic: Calling) Ken had left in the vendor room on Saturday and will obtain the others in short order. A special thank you also to Steinar for hanging out and chatting with SeeYouInHell and I for a half hour or so - well after the fest was over... incredibly cool guy.
Primal Fear. Amazing live band - when Ralf hit the opening scream in Sign of Fear to kick off the show I was hooked. A special thank you as well to the unintentional, yet perfect trajectory of the drumstick thrown in my direction by the drummer Randy that wound up in my hands as a nice souvenir. Oh, and Ralf is almost as evil looking in person as General Zod. :lol: (just kiddin' Greg - I couldn't resist)
After Forever. Floor live is as good as Memorex. The keyboard player was entertaining as hell to watch also. Cool cover of For Whom The Bell Tolls.
Henning Basse. This guy knows how to work a crowd. It was made more apparent when they brought the former singer out which I'll could mention in the jeers in a minute, but I won't. ;)
Damian Wilson. for being the first band member in PPUSA history to go out into the crowd and all the way up into the seats to liven the crowd up. (This is what I heard from a reliable source, but please correct me if I'm wrong anyone)
Jason. My new buddy from the rail on Thursday night who hooked me up with the Theocracy CD. That was an awesomely cool gesture - it was a pleasure rocking out with you - even if you didn't get into Freak Kitchen.
The Residence Inn Breakfast Buffet & all of my associated dining companions. I can't say enough what a life-saver this is after a long day/night of ProgPower goodness - both the food and the lively conversation!

I could go on and on, but I won't - except to say thanks to J-Man & his daughter Mary and Colleen & Todd for being awesome PP roomies, and just awesome people to hang out with in general. And to all my other PP friends with whom I spent a great amount of time this year (especially Mike, Rick, Andy, and our two über-famous plastic sword-carrying forum members who need no further recognition) I already look forward to seeing you all next year.

Jeers:

You know, I was all prepared to list a couple things, but re-reading through my Cheers list I just had a thought that life is too short... I'd rather remember what an awesome time I just had than to jade my memories with any negativity less than 24 hours after the event. If I think about something a week from now, MAYBE I'll come back and post it, but for now... I'll just enjoy reading what everyone else wrote. :)

Damian Wilson. for being the first band member in PPUSA history to go out into the crowd and all the way up into the seats to liven the crowd up. (This is what I heard from a reliable source, but please correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

I do believe Andy B. Franck did that during his Brainstorm set at PPUSA V

I thought Andy jumped down into the photo pit and shook hands from there. He didn't actually go far out into the crowd. Lars Larsen of Manticora was the first ever to stage dive at a ProgPower. Damien was the first to ever go out that far that I know of.

Halcyon Way. I'm surprised no one has mentioned them in this thread so far. They stepped in with only a few hours notice and in my opinion did a fantastic job kicking off the Showcase. Both horns up from me.

Thank you Thorn for that observation. I've been watching this thread to see if anyone would give Halcyon Way props for being the troopers I have come to know over the past year.

I can assure you that the guys were excited, nervous, and absolutely beside themselves as that curtain opened on Thursday. But they came through - despite some of those early tech problems. But hey, it happens to even the best right? [Floor, etc]. ;)

I am very proud of Halcyon Way for carrying the true metal torch and setting the night on fire Thursday! Thanks to everyone who cheered them on despite the rather unfortunate circumstances regarding the showcase. And thanks especially to Shane for giving them an opportunity to show their wares.

:headbang:

I too saw a few digitals in passing. After the initial entry through the door, there was no one enforcing the camera policy. So anyone could have gone back out later and brought whatever they wished inside. *shrug*

Granted we had VIP badges this time, allowing my wife to bring her Sony Alpha SLR. But still I would have been quite upset had that not been the case and saw a dozen digitals on the floor.

On the other hand I never noticed anyone trying to video anything with their digitals either. But then again I can't be everywhere at once. ;)

Just my two cents.

I saw several small digital camers in use and some appeared to be taking video. I also saw several folks with backpacks. I can tell you that I had cargo shorts with huge pockets that could have had anything in it and the dudes at the door never asked or checked.

I understand that the original question was" why have a policy if it is not enforced?" I am sure if 500 people all pulled out a camera and started popping off shots at one time, Glen would have made a statement a some point. I look at it this way, there is always going to be those people that are going to try and get by with shit like this. I don't worry about it in the sence that , "Well he has one why can't I?" because I am going to respect the wishes or the promoter and play by the rules. He deserves that much.

Cheers:
  • After Forever
  • Pagan's Mind
  • The Freak Kitchen dance steps
  • Every other band that maybe wasn't the performance of the night for me but still were fantastic
  • Allstar Jam
  • All the awesome people I met

Jeers:
  • Myself for all the names I most certainly forgot (I suck at remembering them so don't think I hate you if I don't acknowledge having met you) and not waking up in time Sat so I missed Firewind's set
  • The issues with the vocals. Which was at least semi rectified by repeating The Final Countdown as I would have been most certainly annoyed if the first try was the only version we got.
  • Detroit
  • The human body's need for sleep
  • The PP virus (I can already feel myself getting sick)

And not so much of a jeer but a bit of a disappointment. Sonata not changing up their set in ANYWAY. I still enjoyed them but I would have liked at least a song or two different or extra. However, hearing them with a completely shit sound system last week really makes me appreciate the good sound system at PP (when there's not constant technical difficulties of course).

Alright, my turn..

Cheers:

• Finally getting to meet many folks. This time, I tried to make it an effort to socialize more instead of remaining glued to my seat during the whole thing (except to go buy CDs)
  • The totally kick ass music! What some friggan awesome performances. I honestly think it was Pagan's Mind that just stole the whole show! After Forever was friggan awesome as well, as every other band (although I agree, I did enjoy it, but Virgin Steele was definitly the weakest on in my mind).
  • The incredible amount of music I was able to get. I returned with a nice big stack of CDs and now starting to listen to some of them (had Pathoray cranked on the way home from the airport and now listening to Ride The Sky on my nice Klipsch setup - friggan awesome!)
  • The lights not being as blinding as last year. In fact, those LED light cannons were pretty cool
  • Having the big video screens showing the footage from the camera boom was really cool, as well as piping the feed and sound into the lobby area as well. I even complimented on the boom operator telling him what awesome footage he was getting!
  • Lunch at Front Page News was awesome! What a great time, plus that catfish and chips was friggan incredible! I hope we get to do this again, although may I recommend at 1:00 next time? With twelve bands planned, I am willing to bet the showtimes will be the same next year as this year.
  • Getting to meet and run across the band members. I don't know how many times I ran across Damien - even in the friggan bathroom! Hell, I even spotted a buck for him to tip the attendant! Also was cool to see the Cellador guys again! Friggan awesome you remember me from that time we partied after the Jaxx show a year ago August! I am so going to try to make the King Diamond show, when you guys are here again!
  • Lance King for being an awesome friend again, plus scoring some more sweet music from him. Dude! I'll definitely look you up whenever I am in Minneapolis (as my brother lives there and I am planning on making a trip up there sometime soon, probably this spring/summer).
  • To everyone else that I met there (except a couple of obnoxious drunks, but fortunatly, they were rare). I hope I at least see some of you at a Jaxx show in the near future, but at the very least, next year at PP.
  • The awesome band line up for next year! Yes, it is prog-heavy (may I recommend Nocturnal Rites and Metalium to balance it out better?). I happen to like my music a bit more proggy, though, so, unless I am either dead or in jail, I am so definitly going to be there next year.
  • Firewind for doing something special during their set in bringing in the original singing and playing some of their older tunes, instead of the five songs we got at Jaxx two days hence. That was truly awesome!
  • For Shane to overcome what had to of been a very difficult situation with Vanden Plas being denied entry on such short notice. I was really impressed with Halcyon Way and only wish they would get off their collective asses and get that damn album out! It was cool they did get to perform, although it was shame it was under such an unfortunate circumstance.
  • - EDIT - For Glenn to immediately issue an explanation about that "Damien Incident" during the all-star-jam! Very professional, timely and courteous and most likely prevented any flamewars that probably would've erupted on here as a result of that.

Okay, unfortunately, as awesome as PP was, there is always going to be something. I don't want to do this simply to bitch about things. I'll try to offer some constructive criticisms.

Jeer:

• First and foremost - what the hell up with the sound issues? Mics cutting out, guitars dropping out, the keyboards quiting and so forth! If I was Cellador, I'd be pissed at how that set ended up with all the technical problems! Had to re-do "Final Countdown" during the all-star-jam due to the technical fuck-ups! Hey, I am an engineer myself (in case, software), so I know things can go wrong, but holy shit, guys!
  • Did royally suck that Vandan Plas got turned away like that. Yes, I know it was outside of the control of the band as well as the show organizers and, yes we do know "shit happens", but I have to agree with guy that posted above, in that should not take away our right to show some frustration and vent about it. I guess the only thing I can suggest here is that please, be sure your shit is together when it comes to that kind of stuff. Check, double check and triple check! Without knowing the details, cannot really place the blame on anyone in particular. Was that particular immigration official just being an anal dick, or was there truly a mistake made in the paper work? I guess in this post 9/11 world, and with all the recent immigration reforms, who knows?
  • The friggan toxic cloud of smoke! Hey, I can understand one's desire to want to enjoy a nic-break, but holy crap! If anybody bitches about "smoker's rights" here, I am sorry, but your right to smoke ends where my nose begins as far as I am concerned. Would be nice if designated "somke room" or something could be setup (with a live video feed of the show piped in).
  • Yes, I know this has been addressed and I want to thank Glenn for coming out and saying, "hey, I had nothing to do with this and I wish it did not happen becuase that is not what I want ProgPower to be portrayed as!", but yeah, I think that dancer thing did cross the line in tastlessness. I was not offended by it, but this was just not the place for that type of thing. And not only that - friggan Black Crows? Gawd, how I hated that damn song as it was (and it was so fucking overplayed on the local radio stations on top of that!) - and all this time how I thought how cool Damien (and even spotted him a buck to tip the restroom attended!) was. Hey, Damien, I friggan love you and you kicked ass with Threshold, but geez - you had to pull that?!? I thought you had a bit more class than that!
  • Overall, I really did enjoy the All-Star-Jam, but some points, it was just getting to stupid that I just lost all the humor of it. Even when the Freak Kitchen dude came out, it got to the point where I was thinking, will they get that drunk fuck off stage before he ended up hurting someone or wrecking some expensive piece of equipment? I just simply did not see the humour during that part.
  • As much as I loved Sonata Arctica, I have to agree with some of the others here. They played the exact same set (even the singing "Old McDonald had a Farm" and the "Vodka Song") as they did two days prior at Jaxx. It was like seeing a movie a second time, so I was like "let me guess, they are going to play "Don't Say a Word" next!" and "Oh goodie! Are going to get to sing "Old McDonald"?). Would've been nice if they could've throw in a extra surprise or something, such as playing one of the singles that you don't get on the regular albums, or some such. I'll admit, what they did, they did excellently, but still, would've been nice to have done something a little special, as prog power is often considered a very special opportunity for many of these bands.

One thing about the jeers lists that I've seen, many are outside of the total control of the promoters and it was just a opportunity to vent, but some, like the sound issues, really needs to be straighted out, though. In the grand scheme of things these were pretty minor in comparison to the awesome time I had overall, but they did detract from the total overall enjoyment of the show. If any of these can be corrected (at least the ones that are correctable) for next year's show, it would make it even that much better. It is not to diss on Glenn or any of the bands, but something I wanted to bring up and made out in the open in an effort that perhaps these can be improved upon for future shows.

Overall, I was blown away this year. In fact, I enjoyed this one much more than I did last year's show. I can only hope things will get better, but at the same time, could be possibly end up with "to much of a good thing"? I hope the show does not get so bloated that it would be impossible to actually enjoy everything that goes on, or we ended up in the place till like 5 in the morning, only to have it start again the next day like at noon to fit everything in! I love ProgPower and had an awesome time at the three that I attended thus far and hope to attend future shows, but I hope it does not become a victim of it's own success at the same time.

Thanks Glenn and Shane (for the pre-show Showcase), for making this an awesome time and take the "jeers" sections of these posts as something to consider where improvements could be made, if at all possible (and yes, there will be people that will vent just the sake for venting, but hey, it is interesting to see what people have to say, whether you agree with it or not!).

I was really impressed with Halcyon Way and only wish they would get off their collective asses and get that damn album out!

Thanks also for the kudos SkiBum, and I was hoping to meet you this year but the lineup was just too strong for me to ignore as much as I have in previous years.

And the Halcyon Way debut album has been in the final mix-down for several months now. It has been out of their hands for all of this time. We also wish the respective [paid] individual would get off his dead ass and get the job done as well. Trust me. :Smug:

Cheers:
-Stian - for providing the new Greek word for this ProgPower - Pousti Malaka!!!
- Getting a new Canadian friend in a pair of stilettos; it would've never happened if he hadn't been as tanked as he was - it WAS a Kodak moment.. I laughed my ass off... hell we all did!!!
- All the bands that put on kick ass sets
- GRANDMA!!! WELCOME HOME!! (and yeah, call me partial to 'Lady of Winter too.. :) )
- All the new pals I met and had to keep asking 'what's your name again' and not have them kick my ass!! (and they still bought me drinks!!)
- Finding the ONE cd I was hoping to find - HEED - The Call
- The Plasma TVs; that totally RAWKED!!!
- And last but certianly not least, to Glenn and all the crew for putting on such a kick ass event...

Jeers
- CUSTOMS, I was crushed that Vanden Plas wasn't there... I understand it happens but I cannot deny the utter disappointment I had when I found out
- Leaving this morning - Is it me or did it seem like this year's PP FLEW by compared to last year???
- The Art museum down the street - the Louvre section was closed, the first floor of exhibits was amazing and with each floor it simply got worse; in this case, the CRAP did rise to the top...

Cheers:
- After Forever being amazing (best vocalist i have seen almost drove me to tears)
- Primal fear being amazing (I want Ralf's primal fear shirt!!!!!! its cool)
- Glenn for being the cool dude he is
- Keith for managing to stay in the front row with me even though he was dying (he was front for 2-5 but wussed for 6 and 7, i am glad he made it back)
- Cool girl who saw manowar at earthshaker (getting to the front of that show takes dedication!)
- Ralf and Floors covers
- Damiens energy and the artist that painted that girl. Seriously the guy is bloody good to do that kind of work.
- Covering Accept and King Diamond
- Found the one AF single I didnt have

Jeers:
I though SA's sound sucked.. bummer since they were my fave band friday
Other than that nothing bad except for a couple people with seemingly odd personality disorders

Notes:
Enjoyed firewind, ordered one of their CDs becasue of the show
Didnt really get turned on to any other "new" bands but Freak kitchen was fun as hell to watch

I missed last year since i was out of the country but it was nice to be back

Andy Frank did run up to the seats to sing right in front of a wheelchair bound PP attendee who was having a GREAT time

Freakchylde - The FK vancam operator's name is Noak (pronounced No-ack) who is FK's official HTML Dude (and a very cool, fun guy)

Cheers:

Glenn & crew for yet another fantastic fetival.
FK for jumping at the opportunity to extend their set. Best PP set ever, IMO.....
99% of the attendees being awesome, one of the reasons I keep coming back year after year
Pagans Mind - Mindblowing set. These guys just get better & better...
The brunette bartender at the main bar for knowing about John Sykes WAY back in the Tygers of Pan Tang days.:headbang:
Air Christer for being the first band member since Glenn to launch himself into the fans
Meeting a pile of new forum friends again this yeaer
AWESOME breakfasts at the Res
AWESOME staff at the Res
Colleen & Todd for being the Res Porch Commanders
Not smelling any of the stench mentioned by the other posters here

The #1 Cheer - Celebrating IA's birthday with his crew & ours.

Jeers:
The whole VP incident....
People who, no matter how little space is in front of you, fight with you the whole set to try to move up 6 inches. Happens everywhere, but I still hate it.
The same people who can't handle their alcohol, act like pricks, and get all butt hurt when they are confronted about it
Me - Missing ALL but the Jam on Saturday (really wanted to see Primal Fear & Threshold but....)
Having to come home hungover with NO sleep on Sunday
Greenbay kicking the Bears' ass so far tonight.....

And the Halcyon Way debut album has been in the final mix-down for several months now. It has been out of their hands for all of this time. We also wish the respective [paid] individual would get off his dead ass and get the job done as well. Trust me. :Smug:

That sucks that the mix-down studio can't seem to get their shit together! I've been awaiting this since I heard the first sample track on what, PP 6's sampler CD? I really like Halcyon Way's sound and did thought they did an awesome job on that set - especially on such short notice on top of that! :kickass: :headbang:

JenniferLynn said:
Jeers
- - The Art museum down the street - the Louvre section was closed, the first floor of exhibits was amazing and with each floor it simply got worse; in this case, the CRAP did rise to the top...

Funny as I was thinking of checking out that art museum. Maybe I am glad I didn't. Maybe still worth checking out if at least the exhibits on the first floor or two are good and worth seeing.

Cheers:
1. Glenn & crew. This is only my 3rd PP - and was the best one.
2. After Forever and Pagan's Mind. Nils and Floor being the 2 best vocalists at PP - IMO.
3. The All Star Jam (I LOVED it!)
4. Covering King Diamond =)
5. All of the awesome people that I met this year and saw again.

Jeers:
1. The SMOKE ! (I wish it was banned 100% from inside of the venue.)
2. Having no permission to take photos. Seeing people with their SLRs made me really depressed.
3. Waiting one year for PP and have the 3 days go by TOO fast. :(
4. Paula "IceQueen" not being there this time.

Those are my only "jeerz"

Cheers:
-The 2 actual days of the event were amazing. I can't complain about any band, I needed VS to be bad(imo of course) so I could rest for SA :D
-Seeing Raintime getting loved by many, I knew it was there but some doubt I think for an opener
-Meeting Communic and Raintime outside and chatting it up
-Having Showcase and last day end late, I paid a shitload of money for this and I wanted my fill!

Jeers:
-Band merch kinda sucked tbh, Threshold shirts were out of size, I didn't get to a PP IX in my size :(
-Not getting any drumsticks or any cool junk! damn being on the rail and everything gets thrown past ya :(
-Sonata Arctica, idk I really love 'em(see last fm!) but they were pretty bleh as a headliner. They could've played that set in 4th spot and given headline to Pagan imo
That's all I gotta say that was bad, I'm really glad I went to PPUSA for my 1st one and completely enjoyed the show.

Cheers:
- Ralf Scheepers
- Gus G
- The other guitarist of Firewind playing the guitar AND the keyboard at the same time!!!!! Blew my mind
- The lady in the red dress who sat in front of me. She smelled like a Victoria's Secret store. Can't complain about that one bit!

Jeers:
- Going to ProgPower alone. I really don't recommend this ... at all
- Missing IA's guitar clinic. Things at work just didn't align correctly, and I couldn't leave for PP until 4 in the afternoon

Cheers:
- Ralf Scheepers
- Gus G
- The other guitarist of Firewind playing the guitar AND the keyboard at the same time!!!!! Blew my mind

amen to that brutha!!

Jeers:
- Going to ProgPower alone. I really don't recommend this ... at all

really? I was seriously considering doing this at least once as it would force me to crawl out of my comfort zone and talk to random people rather than playing it safe and hiding away with a few friends and just watch that bands all night (which still rocks).

Unless the headliners end up being someone they recognize instantly like iced earth or kamelot, they told me they would not come as it's too much prog and almost no power.

Me OTOH, will be attending PPUSA as long as there is one no matter what, even if it means going alone...

Cheers -
Damian Wilson is the best thing in the universe.
The phenomenal PPUSA IX lineup
Freak Kitchen for going over the top to compensate for Vanden Plas' absence
Glenn for taking a financial risk with karaoke, I hope it was a monetary success because it was a hell of a lot of fun

Jeers -
Whatever prevented Vanden Plas from getting past customs
The shortened Threshold set (which granted was their own fault)
People standing/sitting/dancing on the stairs
Dead mics at the all star jam
Sonata Arctica for playing the exact same setlist with the exact same banter between songs as on every other stop on this tour. A headlining band really should give/care a little more than that

Can't believe I forgot THIS ONE!

Cheer/Jeer:
- That crazy drunk dude on the left side towards the back during Pagan's Mind. If you watched PM from the seats you probably witnessed this guy and his comedy stylings. I was in tears laughing so hard at him the whole time. Please tell me somebody else got a kick out of watching this idiot.

- I later find out he was being a real asshole to people, some who I know, and for that he also gets a jeer.
If you had to be behind those assholes who was acting like total asses thoughout the "jam session" you would have a much different opinion about their behavior..... but I could be think it might been a different person. I found it to be very disrespectful to the artists who was trying to put on a performance with some asshole yelling out Dictator's "Who Will Save RocK N' Roll" lyrics (especially during Zack Stephen's cover of "Desperado") and it did really give me a bad attitude during what was suppose to a fun time. I hope in the future that pricks like that will be asked to leave the building because having a good time is one thing..... being a dickhead is not cool for everybody else who is there who just want to see & hear the show.