Cheers and Jeers Thread

amen to that brutha!!

really? I was seriously considering doing this at least once as it would force me to crawl out of my comfort zone and talk to random people rather than playing it safe and hiding away with a few friends and just watch that bands all night (which still rocks).

Unless the headliners end up being someone they recognize instantly like iced earth or kamelot, they told me they would not come as it's too much prog and almost no power.

Me OTOH, will be attending PPUSA as long as there is one no matter what, even if it means going alone...

Go to the Friday lunch and meet up with people from the forum. One thing about the regulars is that they have no problem taking someone under their wing. I felt like I actually missed out on more last time when my friend went because she had no desire to socialize or party and really only went for Therion. Granted, I didn't hang out on Friday because I was tired and had a long night to go with Saturday as I had to be on the rail for AF. However staying up Saturday night and hanging out in the Residence Inn courtyard with a bunch of people from the forum including Damien was a treat even with the fact that I've only gotten an hour and a half of sleep in the last 36 hrs and somehow still can't fall asleep at 1 AM and have to get up for work in the morning.

Cheers:
- Getting to meet fellow forum members and people from KWTF :D

- All the awesome CDs and merch. Love it.

- Having a Gold Badge lol :loco:

- Firewind blew me away even without Apollo :kickass:

- After Forever: I was very impressed even though the sound went out. Shit happens. *shrugg*

-Krucible: Lance and the gang did an awesome job :p

- Cheers for Halcyon Way making it to the Showcase stage! :headbang:

- Primal Fear: all i can say is WOW

JEERS:

- THE SMOKE!! :mad: So i was informed that this was a NON SMOKING Venue. Well. It was inside the AUDITORIUM where the bands played but NOT were the consesions were! I just DONT see the point in this. Because even if you don't smoke where the bands are playing but you DO in the hallways...the smoke gets SO thick that it wafts into where the bands are playing ANYWAYS and then it's so thick where the bands are playing it's almost as if people are smoking in there anyways! So what's the point in advertising a non smoking venue then? I have to say that this pissed me off royally. Having people blow smoke IN my face, and/or having to walk through people's smoke. Just because other people want to get bronchitis and lung cancer and ruin their vocal chords and shit doesn't mean those of us that DONT want that have to suffer because of other people's bad habits. Maybe some people are allergic to ciggarette smoke or has a heart condition or something? Or shit. Asthsma! Just imagine, someone with Asthsma comes to PP thinking it's a non smoking vanue, gets in there and breathes in all the smoke and has an attack? Sounds like a law suit waiting to happen. I have acid reflux and ciggarette smoke makes it worse and i don't need anything else to fuck up my voice TYVM. If you want to smoke, GO OUTSIDE please. So now that i've put up with with the smoke all weekend I can feel myself getting sick now because the smoke was so unescapeable. You have to walk outside a block or so to get anykind of fresh air. So yeah. Thanks alot. :yuk:

- The lack of Babydoll style Tshirts :p

That's it. Except for the smoke everything else was awesome.

Regarding the digital cameras, remember that VIPs were allowed to bring digital cameras inside the venue, and were allowed to use them to take photos throughout the event, and throughout the venue.

VIPs included media representatives, band sponsors, crew team, Glenn's family and personal guests, band members, and band guests (tour support, family members, significant others, etc.,). I would guess about 100 individuals were issued VIP privileges for the weekend. So yes, you probably did see digital cameras in use in the dark, but what you couldn't see from your vantage point were their VIP badges.

Crew members were among the crowd looking for digital cameras and a handful of people w/o VIP passes were caught using cameras were instructed to return their cameras to their car or hotel. A handful of people were also denied entry at the door when their bags were inspected and a digital camera was found.

Cell phones, Blackberry devices, and iPhones were not banned and accounted for most of the LCD screens that could be seen when the lights went down. Bags and backpacks were not banned, but were subject to inspection at the door upon staff request. A big thank you to everyone who cooperated so kindly with the bag and pocket searches.

The system is not flawless and as usual, it will be reviewed before the next ProgPower.

ProgPower is like a big family reunion for metalheads with many folks returning year-after-year who support Glenn and all his efforts. There is an element of trust that goes with that unwavering support. At this time, I do not believe a pat-down policy at the door needs to be implemented, but again, that is subject to change upon Glenn's annual review of what was working and what was not working during this year's event. I'm sure Glenn will be monitoring YouTube and other internet signs to track any recording that did happen and will take further steps next year to prevent recording if he sees fit.

One thing is certain however for ProgPower IX: All digital cameras regardless of make and model will again be prohibited.

The short list (too tired for much detail):

Cheers:
  • Glenn and the crew, as usual :worship:
  • the bands - I don't think I heard about any over the top primadonna crap like in years past
  • all the kind folks who helped me punish my liver all weekend. *mwah*
  • getting to see my extended family again, although it never seems like enough time
  • the folks who put the tape on the stairs

Jeers:
  • SMOKE. Yeah, it seems to be a common point here...and really, I have no problem with people smoking. Just please go outside so the vendors don't choke to death. I was also under the impression that it was against regulations to smoke inside the venue, but the ashtrays at the bar said otherwise...
  • DRAMA. Get over it. And while you're at it, get a life and stay out of what you THINK is mine. It's really sad that people have nothing better to do.

Oh yeah, one last Jeer:

Hallway Parties outside my Granada hotel door at 4:30am in the morning! Come on people...SOME people want to sleep because they have a flight at 11am the next morning.

heh... the Granada was rather tame this year, I thought... probably because Bear didn't go... that guy has the ragin'-est parties. :lol: But yeah, it's better if people can contain the parties to being inside the rooms... problem was, this year there didn't seem to be any room parties at the Granada. Myself, I was in bed at around 4am... guess I went to bed too early. ;)

JEERS:

- THE SMOKE!! :mad: So i was informed that this was a NON SMOKING Venue.

heh, yeah... it was last year. Apparently it wasn't this year. I haven't had a chance to wade through all the posts and see if there were any explanations given, but the smoke was rough on me as well. I'm from Ohio, and we have laws here that prohibit smoking in public buildings, so I wasn't used to it. However, I don't know how much of the smoke in the auditorium was stage smoke, and how much of it was cigarette smoke. I know that the venue was already completely full of smoke on Friday when I went in after the IA guitar clinic, and it didn't smell like cigarettes.

Yeah when i walked in i thought maybe it was from a fog machine or something? Hell if i know. But it started to bother me so I'm sure that a lot of it was Cigg smoke. I actually went up to someone who worked there and asked, "Isn't this a non smoking venue?" and he was like "yeah." which confused the hell outta me lol. I also thought it was ironic that behind one of the bars there was a Non Smoking sign...and yet there was tons of people smoking at the bar. lol Again, I was slightly confused at this. hahaha

I'll have to add one Jeer:

People standing on the stairs in the venue. The central stairways, even with tape, are already a deathtrap. I lost my shit at least 3 times over the weekend on these things...Stop making it worse by standing in the way and thinking you're letting people pass. This was especially a problem on the direct left and right of the soundboard.

...but the smoke was rough on me as well. I'm from Ohio, and we have laws here that prohibit smoking in public buildings, so I wasn't used to it.

Yea, we have the same laws here in Washington. It is so nice going to see a show and not having to burn my clothes afterwards. I don't know what grossed me out more, all the smoke in the air or watching people dump their ashes onto the carpet because there weren't any ash-trays (because maybe you aren't supposed to SMOKE!?!?!).

No Smoking in public buildings is also the law here in Georgia, with very limited indoor exceptions. I'm incredibly hoarse today because of the smoke. Not just in the vendors' area but also in the outer lobby of the main venue itself. :(

I'll have to add one Jeer:

People standing on the stairs in the venue. The central stairways, even with tape, are already a deathtrap. I lost my shit at least 3 times over the weekend on these things...Stop making it worse by standing in the way and thinking you're letting people pass. This was especially a problem on the direct left and right of the soundboard.

That's surprising. As I noted in the "Dos and Don'ts", they're usually strict about people lounging around in the stairways.

That ATM machine is a dinosaur.

And yes...I was about 5 or 6 rows back on the right side for Redemption. We definitely fell victim to the same filth.

Ok, did you happen to see that large latino man in the 2nd row? The one year I smelled that shit (and I DO mean shit) he was about 3 rows in front of me. I was about 3 rows from the aisle so that narrows the search down to about 30 folks. Throw out the five 98lb girls and throw out the guys who were looking around like WTF? and that leaves this gentleman. The 2nd night of that same year, this guy moved and I no longer smelled it but the people around where he sat were saying about it. The last 2 years, he's sat down in the seating area, 2 rows up. Coincidence? I'm beginning to think not. That motherfucker, if it IS him, needs smacked. I don't know how his friends stand him! :zombie:

Cheers:
Glenn and Cindy - you guys fuckin rock. thanks so much for everything you guys go thru to make PPUSA what it is (insert mushy sentimentality here) :worship:notworthy:worship:
the Crew - you guys rock and then some :)
FreakChylde for the second-best boob-grab i had all weekend (the best one having been filmed...i gotta get me a copy of that!)
Freak Kitchen: GOODY GOODY!! that's all i can say :headbang:
Pagan's Mind: wow :loco:
J-Dub: i'm sorry, who won - methinks that would been my bears :saint: and for finally meeting you!! :kickass::kickass::kickass:
to all the wonderful people i met - thank you all! you are the reason ProgPower USA kicks so much ass

jeers:
i really don't have much to jeer about - yeah, there were some issues, but on balance, they don't register for me as much as the wonderful-ness :)

Cheers
* Glenn and crew.
* Almost(!) note-perfect set from Redemption. (The main reason I went)
* Learning about Freak Kitchen with a very entertaining set - it got me to go and buy one of their CDs the next day.
* The 'All-Star Jam' turned out to be fun.
* Meeting friends.

Jeers
* Vanden Plas getting refused entry to the country by Immigration. (Which also means they're likely to have more trouble getting in if they try to come again.)
* People who continued their shouted conversation near us all the way through the Communic and After Forever sets.
* Sound mix for Threshold.
* The Super 8 breakfast.

And the 'Spinal Tap Award' goes to Virgin Steele for their flaming sword.

I have some things that I would like to put down.

Cheers:
1. Primal Fear and Pagan's mind kicking some major ass
2. Making good time on the drive there
3. Having enough money to buy all the cd's I wanted
4. Meeting Ray Alder and the rest of redemption
5. Getting a kiss not once, but twice from Damian.
6. Hanging out with old friends and making new onse as well
7. Find out that Andromeda is playing next year!!!

Jeers:
1. Sonta Arctica's set being so God Damn boring.
2. Smoking in the lobby
3. Primal Fear running a half hour late.
4. Couldn't find the women for ordering the dvd all day Saturday.
5. Vanden Plas not making it this year. (fuck Detroit!!!)

Cheers:
Glenn & Cindy, the rest of the crew, Ernst & Jonas for busting their asses, Kent & staff.
The venue and the hotels
The fans and everyone you get to meet, new and old, even if it is a 30 second conversation. And those who are cool with me forgetting your name, even though I see you once a year for the last 7 yrs! Sorry !
The guys in most of the bands for being cool and easy to deal with
Halcyon Way for stepping in
IA and JMac for the clinics, even though I didn't get to watch the entire thing
Line 6 for making good gear. May not be my personal guitar sound but it works.

Jeers:
Bands that don't show for sound check and then have weird set-ups or wireless units that cause technical glitches that annoy the crew and crowd
Band or crew members with attitudes
Whatever customs issue stopped VP from getting here and kicking our collective asses

Thanks also for the kudos SkiBum, and I was hoping to meet you this year but the lineup was just too strong for me to ignore as much as I have in previous years.

And the Halcyon Way debut album has been in the final mix-down for several months now. It has been out of their hands for all of this time. We also wish the respective [paid] individual would get off his dead ass and get the job done as well. Trust me. :Smug:

SkiBum, thanks so much for the kind words. The record has been in mixdown for a while and it's beyond our control right now. James has a huge backlog and we've just been waiting our turn in the queue. it would have been done by now in all likelihood but there were some technical issues that pushed it back. Some things in the original tracking had to be re-done and that was part of the issue. It's gonna sound killer, and for now you can check out Blind Eyes To The Sky on the sampler CD from this year - we're on disc 3. Thanks again man!

Cheers:

The absolute biggest cheer goes to Glenn and crew for all their hard work. Overall, they put together the most awesome metal experience you can find in the states. Unforseeable glitches are always going to occur, but they in no way can diminish was an incredible experience Prog Power is. Special, special thanks to Glenn for After Forever. Finally got to see them and they were fantastic!! :headbang:
Also cheers to Brenda and Dave for all their contributions and for just being some of the most excellent people.

Cheers to the bands, especially Pagan's Mind, Firewind, Threshold, AF and my surprise band of the weekend, Raintime. Cheers also to Freak Kitchen, who are not my style, but whose set was totally enjoyable all the same.

Cheers to Johnny Mac and Mattias for the clinics. I was only going to stay a short time to get photos of John, but had such a great time, I stayed to the end. The two of them jamming as a finale was totally worth it.

Cheers to all the truly great people and wonderful friends, new and old. You also make ProgPower what it is. The comraderie and kindness shown by nearly everyone is priceless. Kind of makes you feel a little lonley when you get back to the "real world" though.

Cheers to more room in the photo pit. Cheers to the new system of press badges eliminating confusion.

Cheers to finally learning how to pace myself and having the energy to stay to the very end of the All Star Jam - another highlight.

Jeers:

To the over zeaous, pig-headed government pricks who prevented a fantastic band who are also wonderful people from entertaining all the fans who looked forward to seeing them so much. There never seems to be a rhyme or reason to their stupidity. I was absolutley heart broken to miss Vanden Plas.

To the Granada for calling the cops on us without asking us first to break it up and go inside. I'm sure we would have.

To finally getting caught by the Prog Power flu. First time in 5 years I came home sick, though, as many of you know, I always lose my voice. :oops:

To The Madison Grill for losing Linda's credit card.

To the drunk, homeless guy who hung out in front of the Granada and followed me on several occasions. Even tried to go to lunch with us. :rolleyes:

Biggest jeer goes to the nasty (drunk?) chick on the barrier who gave some poor guy a really hard time for just tapping out a rhythm on the rail with his ring while we waited between sets. She actually slapped him!! I was shocked and resorted to the only "weapon" I had - I took a photo right in her face and told her if she didn't settle down, I'd show it to security and get her ass thrown out. That crap was totally uncalled for.

Another melancholy jeer to the Prog Power Hangover, which has nothing to do with alcohol and eveything to do with trying to get back in the routine after such a fabulous time.

Overall, this has once again been one of the most incredible experiences. Hope everyone got home safe. Miss you all already.