Cheers 'n Jeers '12

CHEERS

Obviously the bands, particularly Primordial and Serenity for me. As polar opposite as they are, those two bands made my year.

The bar actually having a decent BBQ sammich. In fact, it was quite tasty and I know BBQ both good and bad.

Whoever decided on a guitar backline of 5150/Dual Recto - good combo! I just wonder if it wouldn't have sounded even bigger to have had the Boogies running through cabs with V30's instead of the 1960 with its G12T-75's (which sound great against the extreme mids of the 5150). Sounded great regardless.

Most of all my wife for pulling solo duty watching our toddler after work so I could finally return to this great fest (I haven't been since '07)!

JEERS

I could only do Friday.

People's digestive problems on the floor. Some seriously horrifying flatulence was going on with frequency down there...

I got 10 cds, it was late Sat.I dont have them infront of me, but my fav so far is
House of Shakira-Lint

Cheers:
- Hanging out with lady friend from NY
- getting to touch simmone simmons' hair
- Sitting outside of Vespucci's with lady friend. I love that kind of atmosphere and wish we had more of that kind of thing here
- Just chilling with random people. Not much of an outgoing social person like my lady friend is but its awesome just chatting up with random people
- The clean male guest vocalist for MaYaN - he alone made me enjoy their set with a few songs left to go
- getting a hug from Sabrina Valentine ^_^ Never hugged a metal star before.. well aside from the guys from Seventh Wonder...
- Kingcrow
-Redemption
- Primordial

Jeers
- Not being into Kamelot/Nightwish as much. I think I'd enjoy them more if they were in later slots. It felt like a opener and openers I tend to forget/don't have interest in them

The kicker of the festival for me
- Seeing said lady friend kissing another dude she just met that weekend (it turns out that I am/was in love with her and she unintentionally crushed my heart as she doesn't love me) right before SX which caused me to breakdown and go to my car for the entire set and then had to waited even longer for her to get her stuff out of my car so she could go mingle with other people at the afterparty. Also after picking to leave the pit with that guy during Epicas set I got upset and left as well eventually going home wanting to cry but not knowing why.. at the time. And I think this is my first time being/having been in love like this... Love bites :\

Non festival related
- Getting a bruised/sprained foot or something during lazer tag with friends trying to cheer me up Sunday
- getting a flat tire on the way home just before getting on i85N when all I was doing was just making a left turn

Kinda like stage smoke!

20120915-162859-ESA0838-L.jpg

That isn't stage smoke, it's grease 'levitating' :loco:

Cheers:

* The organizers of ProgPower. Awesome job!!
* The tech crew! I know how very difficult being on a tech crew can be
* The band line-up was excellent. Really enjoyed the performances of every band I saw, especially Serenity, Primordial, Mystic Prophecy, Kamelot, Nightwish, and Epica.
* Serenity. The band members were so friendly and fun to be around. Best band walking up the steps at that time.
* Getting to be up front (off to the left side) against the rail for Primordial, Redemption, Epica, Mystic Prophecy and Mayan. My feet hurt, but was so worth it.
* The really cool people around us in the audience. We all had a great time without any of the normal shoving, pushing and other junk that goes on at so many shows.

One minor jeer:
*Would have preferred Center Stage keep the restroom cleaner.

The kicker of the festival for me
- Seeing said lady friend kissing another dude she just met that weekend (it turns out that I am/was in love with her and she unintentionally crushed my heart as she doesn't love me) right before SX which caused me to breakdown and go to my car for the entire set and then had to waited even longer for her to get her stuff out of my car so she could go mingle with other people at the afterparty. Also after picking to leave the pit with that guy during Epicas set I got upset and left as well eventually going home wanting to cry but not knowing why.. at the time. And I think this is my first time being/having been in love like this... Love bites :

Hey, look on the bright side here: You touched Simone's hair.

Cheers:
-Every band I went to see absolutely destroyed.
-Lance is a consummate salesperson and stole the vast bulk of my spending cash. 14 disks and I think 3-4 shirts. Awesome!
-Festival attendees are generally awesome and nice people. Not much drama or bullshit.
-The bartenders were all super nice in spite of the fact that all I ever got was cups of water. (I did tip, though)
-The ADS Group. CD Openers!? Are you serious? Where the hell have these been since forever!? Saved me so much time tonight. Perfect promo item for PPUSA.
-The untold hard work that keeps things running mostly smoothly and as close to on time as one could expect from such a mammoth undertaking.
-MYRATH 2013! (provided we aren't all dead, that is)

Jeers:
-Those little disc holder prongs in the middle of jewel cases...they're damned near all broken most of the time. It's some sort of shipping anti-miracle I think.
-Leaving at 2:30AM to drive half an hour back to where we were staying.
-Lane closures on 85 and 285 Sunday morning while I was trying to leave (argh!)
-The holy shit steep exit ramp from the parking garage (gogo e-brake tricks to not run into dudes behind me)
-Short on sleep. Still tired.
-Not having unlimited money.
-Long time till next year paired with uncertainty of my ability to attend.

Cheers to the people sitting next to me on Saturday night (I only know you were Serenity sponsors). For forgiving me for making you spill your drink when I sat down next to you, and for making the set transition between Mayan and Pretty Maids fly by. Half the fun for me is meeting fellow prog and power metal nerds at this thing! Horns to you and I hope you check out Amaseffer, I definitely think you'll enjoy it!

Also cheers to the girl from Barcelona next to me during Mystic Prophecy, I hope you enjoyed the SX set and sorry I couldn't get back up there like I said I would, I was so dead tired after two days of going all out that I couldn't make it back up to the rail.

Lastly, fucking cheers to Glenn for booking Damnation Angels, Armored Saint, Reinxeed and Wolf for next year! Holy SHIT! Pretty much any one of those alone would have guaranteed I'd make the trip out next year, and that's not even counting the rest of the lineup!

Jeers to my bosses at work for scheduling our big annual sale the same weekend as ProgPower (didn't they CHECK??? :yell: ) and made it impossible for me to get Thursday off. It sounds like everybody had a fantastic fucking time and I can't believe I missed it.

I forgot one jeer:

-Noodle dancing girl in the red Dixie Dregs shirt. And no bra. *shudder*. What the hell was that? I don't know what music she was dancing to, but it wasn't the music that was happening in the venue. And she was screaming so loudly you could actually hear her over the music. "DRUM SOLO!!!! DRUM SOLO!!!!!! DON'T YOU WANNA SEE A DRUM SOLO!!!!!!!!!" Lady, I play drums. Nobody has ever, in the history of concerts ever wanted to see a drum solo. Shut the hell up. This is what happens when you're on acid I guess (We were discussing it with the security guard at the front of the stage. We thought it was ecstasy but he said as a security guard he's seen both ecstasy and acid and he felt this one was likely an acid trip).
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...
My gang were watcing her all Sat night...
Memo to noodle dancing girl...Jerry Garcia is long dead and Phish was not on the bill

I forgot one jeer:

-Noodle dancing girl in the red Dixie Dregs shirt. And no bra. *shudder*. What the hell was that? I don't know what music she was dancing to, but it wasn't the music that was happening in the venue. And she was screaming so loudly you could actually hear her over the music. "DRUM SOLO!!!! DRUM SOLO!!!!!! DON'T YOU WANNA SEE A DRUM SOLO!!!!!!!!!" Lady, I play drums. Nobody has ever, in the history of concerts ever wanted to see a drum solo. Shut the hell up. This is what happens when you're on acid I guess (We were discussing it with the security guard at the front of the stage. We thought it was ecstasy but he said as a security guard he's seen both ecstasy and acid and he felt this one was likely an acid trip).

After I essentially sexually harassed all of you with our underwear pictures, this girl returned the favor. :(

I was really hoping to forget all about her.

Cheers
IMO the best 3 days of music and performances in the history of this festival
Divine Wings played in its entirety
Pretty Maids
Redemption with the best set of the weekend
My posse(Me, Virtual Scott,Tara Babcock,and J Vu)and the nonstop hillarity the entire time wherever we went(ask Locust/Jim about our journey to Steak and Shake Thurs night
GANGMAN STYLE(part of the said hillarity
Truly Great Cupcakes
Varasanos
the other food in the area
The Melia(will be back there)
Serenity
Solution 45
Lanfear
Getting some great images
Seeing everyone again
Glen and Jenn

The Giants somehow winning on Sunday
My photoshoot Sun evening...

Jeers..
the 2 retards who's selfish indulgences that might have ruined things for us next year in certain ways
Waking up at 8 am on 3 hours sleep for the Redemption show(but it was worth it)
Going back to reality on Monday to get chewed out by my boss today for something that happened while I was away all week

After finally making it home monday (my own fault) here's my C&J list as near as I can remember it - ears are still ringing from Symphony X set.
Cheers:
My buddy Jim - friend for 30 something years and roomie at PP for the last 8 or so - next year Armored Saint - hell yeah, a blast from our past. Frank - bother of metal from NM - I get to see him occasionally at Colorado shows throughout the year but always look forward to seeing you at PPUSA. Donna -this is all your fault for starting to recommend this fest back at PPUSA 3 - glad I finally got smart and started making the trip.

Glenn, Jen and the whole PP team - from the table ladies (Su, Tracy, Jen and a dude this year :)) who start out our fest with smiles and badges and t-shirts the the behind the scenes crew (whether driving the bands around or making the sound good for them) awesome as ever this year.
All the regulars - i suck with names - but sometimes remember places :) Always good to run into people that I remember (Zod, Bryant etc) or at least be able to smile, wave, yell at someone from previous fests.
Bama Fans - this year the only band I missed extensively was Serenity (got a lot of the end from hallway waiting for lights to come up so i could get to seats). Jamie from Vinyl had Bama game on and I got to see the beginning of it with the Bama peeps. I think we are undefeatd when watching at ProgPower :)
Starbux right next to the Marriot Suites (which also ruled with friends and family discount) - very handy to have - really gotta work on your music selection though.
Vespucci's - this guy changes his hours around for us and always takes care of the PPUSA crowd - so I hope others are doing the same for him. Seemed like there was quite a few peeps there each time we were there so I think it is happening.
All the bands - I always try to give each band a few songs to try to decide if I like them - and this year I think I saw more than any previous fest in the past 8 years or so. Holy crap - you all ruled. The ones I went into looking forward to rocked - and there were some awesome surprises (PRIMORIDAL, damn, not normally my thing but my face was melted and they became the "must have" merch of the fest for me - only band i went thru the official "signing line" for).
Any new peeps I got to talk to - guy from Spokane in front of us, new guys from Ohio who made it down last minute (hope you had fun, plan on seeing ya next year).
Vendors - in this economy I know I had to take it easy so I do appreciate the fact that you guys still try to bring as many toys and surprises for us as you can. Especially digging on the Thin Lizzy dvd with all the rare stuff I had never seen before.
Jon & Kong - the workshop - stuff like this doesnt happen at any other fests - and guys like you doing it make it even more awesome.
DaVinci's - letting me watch the games and get some real food before having to go to airport on sunday. It was appreciated :)

JEERS -
Not many and most relate to me lol. First off - whoever was crop dusting the floor during Kamelot - to quote some ESPN dudes "Come On Man".
ATL drivers - most friendly laid back peeps until you put them behind the wheel. Honk at anything and everything. We saw a guy at 330 one morning on the road by himself honk. Practice? Just like the sound?
No WITCHCRAFT album - it comes out next week (i think) and I would prefer to buy it from the guys who pack up all their stuff and support the fest with their presence but couldnt find it, damn.
no pretty Maids merch. After so long they are finally here and no merch.
Terminator and Renegade not being here - basically to all absent friends but those guys always made the shows so much fun. Chatting outside the venue, in between bands etc - you were missed.
Witnessing the sad parade of t-shirted peeps head to MARTA, going thru the airport etc sucks - the only good thing is going past various gates and seeing a shirt that you know is PPUSA related :)
Me - missing my connecting flight sucked - getting to see cousins and godkids was great though.
Buddy Christ - hitched a ride along with Jim - he was able to hang for the first couple of days but then crashed for the finale - tsk tsk, pace yourself rookie.
Let the countdown begin - see you all next year

CHEER
The Harvestons and the PP crew. All discussions of relative worth of this year's lineup vs that year etc etc aside, as always, this is the most professional, tightest, best run fest. Great job to all.

CHEER
Center Stage (nee Earthlink Live, as the poorly camouflaged curtain still reads). My friends and I have been to a lot of venues, and all agree that this is a pretty unique setup. I've never seen a venue that would work better for fest like this.

JEER
I always make fun of restroom trolls, and this year there was no attendant at the Center Stage restroom. Well, by the end of the night, the place was a wreck - reeked of bathroom smells, out of paper towels, trash tumbling from the bin onto the floor, mostly out of soap. Maybe the restroom troll wasn't so bad?

CHEER
I had a great room at the Artmore, and overall the hotel was a very good experience. Loved the ability to book online this year.

JEER
The Artmore still had some issues though. From the very halfhearted and sad attempt at enforcing the 'no outside beverage' policy on Wed & Thurs to booking the Courtyard for 4 hours Sat night to charging me and many other people for an extra night (they graciously fixed it immediately when notified, but I wonder how many people might not have noticed), the Artmore showed that it was under new management. I love being so close to the venue, but may look elsewhere next year. [Note - I won't comment on the
cop incident at 5 am Sat/Sun, because I missed it getting my 3 hours of sleep before heading to the airport].

CHEER
The 'Trail of Murder' listening party Thurs night in the Courtyard. It was great to hear Urban Breed on disc again. Urban kept spinning that CD over and over for anyone that wanted to hear it. Looking forward to buying that when it's released.

CHEER
Great bands. Serenity and Solution .45 were highlight performances (one for pure energy, one for unbelievable crispness and perfect harmonies).

CHEER, Pt2
Serenity's lead for the humor. And for audience member telling them that they were the best band on stage right now. Awesome!

CHEER
Oliva Workshop. I'm an incredibly biased uber-fan, so I was predisposed to like it, but I really didn't know what I was buying when I got tickets. It was an absolutely amazing experience. Hearing Jon put a song together, playing every instrument, bantering, playing FIVE songs as well (including an amazing rendition of 'Crowds') . . . and getting to sing chorus on the song - what an amazing time.

JEER
The (hopefully) drunk guy screaming during Amaranthe's set. It started with "Look at that @ss" and by song two moved on to "Take Off Your Top". He screamed it during the quiet parts, so all could hear. We must feel sorry for those losers so hard up that seeing screaming about an @ss on stage is the closest that they will ever get to actually having a woman.

JEER
For those in the audience who think bathing is an only sometime event. Please do NOT raise your fist in metal solidarity. That's right. No raising fists. Keep your arms down. Now go home and bathe. Repeat daily. If you want to get really kooky, use deodorant too. Thank you.

CHEER/JEER
Watching the angst on Glenn's face as Pretty Maids played an e-x-t-e-n-d-e-d encore, including sing alongs and a 'Smoke on the Water' interlude. I can only guess, but I imagine he was reluctant to kick off this band during their first US appearance. They ended (by my count) at most a minute late, so all was well, but to my eyes the guy was the personification of 'conflicted'.

JEER
The row of stadium lights right under the drum kit. I'm 6'3, and when I stand on the floor, those things are aimed right at me. And they are *bright*. Ouch.

CHEER
I finally got around to putting a Twitter app on my phone. It was great to get updates about delays and such.

CHEER
After failing at it for 7 years straight, I think I finally avoided the PP crud (still early, but fingers crossed). A combination of exercise, vit C, homeopathic drugs, and most important, sleep seemed to do the trick. I hope.

CHEER
The weather. Thank you, Glenn and Jen, for arranging nice weather for a rare change. Not too hot No rain. Good job! Please schedule that again for next year.

A Final CHEER
For the ever-growing group of friends at PP. It turns the fest from just a concert into an experience. Thank you for all the great times.

Steve in Philly

JEER
The row of stadium lights right under the drum kit. I'm 6'3, and when I stand on the floor, those things are aimed right at me. And they are *bright*. Ouch.

An adendum to this jeer: The Symphony X lighting guy, for abusing that crowd flood. You know, I'd like to see the band on occasion, and not get blinded repeatedly.

CHEERS:

-Glenn and Jenn
-Wayne for help with my special project
-Patrick (nailz) for: cupcakes, booze and help with getting directions to drunk guys friends, and then getting me drunk.
-Awesome roommates, either planned or unplanned
-Solution .45 for handing my ass to me on a platter.
-Leah for the awesome earring
-Nanners II - Simply because he called and apologized to me for a good long while, otherwise he would've been a jeer.
-Mercenary NOT playing next year (see final Jeer below for explanation)
-The support of every single one of you who stopped me and told me you all had my back while I follow my dream of becoming a (Flight) Paramedic. It only gives me that much more drive. If I haven't expressed my appreciation for the support you gave me, let me do it know. Thank you, I love you all.

JEERS:

-The farters... Yeah dude I pick up people who have been lying in their own bodily filth for DAYS who don't smell as bad as your gasses did. Please have that checked.
-2 years, 2 ambulances.... NO MORE AMBULANCES DURING MY VACATION PLEASE!
-No MetalRose next year so that I can follow my schooling. Hopefully upon return to PPUSA, I'll make my grand entrance in my Paramedic Helicopter Flight Suit. I promise, I'll return.

Cheers: The whole damn festival! Even during the bands I didn't like, I was having a blast. So many nice people to talk to, so much cool stuff to buy, so much alcohol to drink! =D

Extra cheers: Primordial! Both seeing them on stage, and around the venue. Drinking with those guys Friday night was a riot, and probably my favorite moment of the weekend.

Jeers: I hate to say this, but (most of) Symphony X's setlist. 'The Diving Wings of Tragedy' and 'The Odyssey' were magical, but they really need to swap out some of their new songs for older ones, especially at a special event like this.

Cheers: The two songs I mentioned above! Symphony X putting on a great show as always (despite my aforementioned complaint). Mike LePond for being a nice dude who has all the time in the world to talk to his fans.

Cheers: Again, all the people I met, both band members and regular folks like me. Everyone was friendly as hell, and I hope to see you all next year. And a special cheers to the guys in Seven Kingdoms. Nicest people ever, and a fine band to boot.

I think that about covers it. Cheers!

Supplemental Jeer:
Pieces of shit video recording. It's not hard to not be a dick...so don't do it. And the Argus staff for not giving a shit. I harassed one dude out of his seat finally by yelling in his ear "NO VIDEO RECORDING!" It's a simple matter of respect. Argh, makes me so angry.