falconer for a future prog power?

Kenso

Juke Box Hero
Sep 18, 2006
zzz
yea i know im just one of the many people to make a thread for a band to play at prog power, but i was curious on everyones opinion of it. they have some extremely catchy songs, and are one of my personal favorites.

anyone seen em live, and can tell us anything about em?

I would dip into all my savings to sponsor Falconer for PP9. I've wanted to suggest this, but I didn't think it would be polite to request a band to be on ProgPower. But since someone is braver than I, I'm throwing in my support. ;)

If it's not obvious by my avatar, Falconer is definitely one of my favorite bands.

Either their first album which was self titled... or Chapters from a Vale Forlorn.

Then get Northwind.

After that go get The Sceptre of Deception. This has their other singer Kristoffer Göbel. But he sings in a fairly similar way on this album to Mathias, and its filled with some superbly written and played songs.

I'd say skip Grime and Grandeur. Its a good album just sounds almost nothing like Falconer.

Honestly, I know very little about this band. Where's the best place to start?

~Brian~

The first two, Falconer and Chapters From a Vale Forlorn, have Mathias Blad on vocals and are considered by many to be their best CD's. Very old English feeling, although they are from Sweden.

The 3rd, The Sceptre of Deception, has Kristoffer Gobel on Vox and they tried to have him mimic Mathias... didn't work.

The 4th Grime Vs Gradueur they let Kristoffer be himself and it was one of the best albums of 2005 IMO. BUT, it doesn't have as much of the folk element as the first two. It is much more straight Power Metal with just a touch of folk.

The 5th, Northwind, is a return to the first two with the return of Mathias on vox.

Falconer Website

I would start with Chapters from a Vale Forlorn, especially since it has the best song they've ever written, "The Clarion Call" on it.

The S/T album would be my favorite, but it doesn't have The Clarion Call. As a result, Chapters is my favorite. And be sure you get the albums with the bonus tracks! The bonus tracks, sung in Swedish, are fantastic. :)

Huge fan. They have such a unique vocal vibe to them. As everyone said, the first two and last album are the best. I like the others, but Blad's vocals make this band unique.

Steve in Philly

Huge fan. They have such a unique vocal vibe to them. As everyone said, the first two and last album are the best. I like the others, but Blad's vocals make this band unique.

Agreed. The albums with Kris weren't bad albums. They just weren't exactly Falconer albums. And I think Kris is an awesome vocallist, and I'd like to see him in something in the near future (he quit Destiny, apparently.) But for me, Mathias will always be the voice of Falconer. :)

Honestly, I know very little about this band. Where's the best place to start?

The first one and the latest one. Many people love the second, but that one has less variety of tempos(it's mostly midpaced, whereas the first and most recent have fast, slow, and midtempo in about equal numbers). The ones with the other singer are generally not as well regarded, although they do have their moments.

Huge fan. They have such a unique vocal vibe to them. As everyone said, the first two and last album are the best. I like the others, but Blad's vocals make this band unique

Aside from the vocal vibe, the guitars are very unique. I've never heard rhythms quite like those found on Falconer albums.