Anyone go to prog power, for prog?

mkicon

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Most of the power metal bands got the biggest crown reaction.
also i know i personally went for the power metal bands.

did anyone go for the prog bands? were any of the bands there big in the porg world? i dont really know =\

I went for the whole lineup...but mainly the power metal bands...though Pain of Salvation I thought kicked ass. There wasn't much for crowd reaction during them, but they personally were one of the best bands musically at the festival. I wish they could've played longer.

Although I too went for the Power bands, a lot of people on this forum have been raving about Pain of Salvation and Threshold's sets. I think that POS didn't get as much of a crowd reaction because prog metal doesn't seem like the kind of music that you can quote "rock out to," as other people on this forum have put it. Power metal is more high energy, and therefore seems to cause their fans to react louder and with more enthusiasum.

I went for every band, including the couple I hadn't heard (Zero Hour). Pain of Salvation was pu tin a bad spot because no one could have followed a band as anticipated as Blind Guardian, and BG had no choice but to play the slot they did. PoS was so fantastic and amazing, if they had played earlier I think the response would have been so much greater. You of course mostly sit or stand and just watch and listen to a band like them, but what a damn awesome thing that is to see...especially Daniel's masterful handling of technical guitar pieces and perfect vocals. Threshold also did well, i thought, and I was especially impressed with their drummer's handling of some of those jazzy beats.

-Eric

I went primarily for the (few) prog bands. The power bands were fun, though.

As to your question, PoS is one of the biggest and best in prog metal right now (top 2 or 3). The others (Zero Hour, Threshold, Reading Zero) are all pretty minor acts.

-matt
np: Jurassic 5 - Power in Numbers

As to your question, PoS is one of the biggest and best in prog metal right now (top 2 or 3). The others (Zero Hour, Threshold, Reading Zero) are all pretty minor acts.

I think this depends upon which market you are talking about. PoS has played the states a couple of times thanks to Glenn, but when they toured Europe the time before last, they supported Threshold. Threshold have a pretty good following in Germany and probably sell more disks for Inside Out than PoS.

I was looking forward to the power bands more, frankly, (I was even looking forward to BG more than Devy...)... but the proggier bands seem to handle themselves better on stage... the power bands seemed to want to engage in that arena rock nonsense (save BG!) too much and not just play their damned songs.

Well, that's what alot of those bands are about, its Power Metal, you know...Heavy Metal Universe isn't exactly dinner theatre music. ;)

ALot of people were saying that BG had no stage presence, etc..I am a massive BG fan, and it was all I wanted to see them hammer out those songs in the way they did, with passion and precision. I don't need to see Hansi doing flips over the drum kit or anything. Every band needs not be Iron Maiden, although in theory that doesn't sound bad...

-Eric

I am mostly a prog fan. Seeing PoS was the highlight of the trip for me, though it was certainly a power metal fan's show. I was impressed with all the bands there, but the prog stuff just keeps my interest better. I do hope next year will bring some more great progressive acts.

I enjoyed every band that was there. I admit I'm mostly a power metal fan, but I've listened to some prog in my day (call me an "older" metal fan).

Threshold blew me away. I had never heard them before, and by the end of their set, both me and a friend were standing, screaming our lungs out. That was a seriously fantastic perfomance, IMHO.

Pain of Salvation was also a great show. I thought they were a welcome change after Blind Guardian (though I too didn't envy them). The vocalist in that band is..........very special.

And finally, considering the intricacy of their music, I felt Zero Hour came through extremely well.

I liked the prog bands plenty. Just because I wasn't "banging my head" doesn't mean I think any less of them :D

--S

I was more interested in the prog bands, namely Zero Hour, Reading Zero and Pain of Salvation. Threshold to me, while originally being very progressive, has been evolving to a more power metal sound with each album.

Anyways, I was really blown away by Edguy, and bought Mandrake and will buy the others, as well.

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
the proggier bands seem to handle themselves better on stage... the power bands seemed to want to engage in that arena rock nonsense (save BG!) too much and not just play their damned songs.

I feel exactly the opposite. I don't like it when the bands just stand still and play: it is boring. I love it when the bands get into it and have some fun (what you call arena rock nonsense). It is more exciting; Edguy seemed to get the most into it, and everyone seemed to enjoy them. This is why I though Edguy, Gamma Ray and Angra's sets kicked ass compared to BG's set (their sets were just as clean too, if not cleaner than BG). BG, as much as I love them, could use to loosen up on stage and have some fun.
As for the prog bands, I am not a prog fan. I am always impressed with the prog metal music, but again I find their performance boring. You can call it "handl[ing] themselves better on stage," but I will call it boring.

Robin

I went for Zero Hour the most and totally loved them. As for their stage presence, of course as intricate as the Tipton brothers play, they will not be "all over" the stage. They moved and looked around and nodded their heads and did a little banging, but jeeze, if any of you could play what they did and run all over the stage, then that is a show I would kill to see.
I also wanted to see Silent Force, however after seeing them, I don't know why, they seemed cheeseball and D.C. Cooper came off a little lame.
Threshold and Reading Zero were bands I was not really interested in seeing prior to the show and still felt they weren't awesome, but they were quite good. I just can't get into the vocals of either band.
I think Gamma Ray was better than Blind Guardian, but both were great. Edguy was better than both of them except Tobias Sammett went a little overboard with the cursing and I curse pretty frequently. It was just unneccessary.
Devin Townsend was good, but he confuses me. I hope the future of metal is not him.
I can't say anything about Angra or Pain Of Salvation, I was unable to see them.

Devin Townsend was good, buthe confuses me. I hope the future of metal is not him.

Yes, I also thought he was good, and a nice change of pace. He probably confuses you because he has loads of technical talent, but really only uses it occassionally. I was definitely into his set, though.

His "stick it in your a**" attitude just came off as punk to me, I've seen that a thousand times anyway. If anyone thought that was fresh------nope. It's been done ad nauseaum for years in the hardcore scene.

He was still fun, and I don't mind a small dose of drop-B stuff. He was a nice break from the other stuff.

--S