...for you crazy black metallers...Immortal North American Tour

100????

It was intimate indeed, but certainly more than 100.

Many people were turned away at the door by the time Manowar came on as it was oversold.

As Zod said, which I would agree with, they charge that because they can, esp if they are one of only a handful of US shows.

I'm not sure how many this place holds but it wasn't that much, maybe 150 at the most.

I refuse to argue the datils about this show with you Jason. Next thing you know you'll be saying that Manowar played for 3 hrs!!! :loco: lol

This is true but at the same time the New York show was at BB Kings which according to their website holds 1000 people standing room only. The last time Iron Maiden played NYC they sold out Madison Square Garden so you're talking about 15,000 plus people.

That's a huge difference.

So if it costs a promoter $70,000 to bring Immortal to NYC and have them play at a 1000 people capacity venue, charge $70 a ticket and still make money then how much does it cost to bring a band like Iron Maiden to NYC if they play to a crowd 15 times the size of Immortal's?

It just seems hard to believe that they would charge that much. I saw them open for Manowar in front of 100 people in Aurora, IL. But this was almost 8 yrs ago.

really comparing IRON MAIDEN to IMMORTAL? Iron Maiden have their own jumbo jet airplane and are far bigger than Immortal. Iron Maiden are millionaires and basically command an empire unto themselves.

but despite that fact i in no way doubt Immortal's guarantee of $70K. tickets might have been $70 last time but they will be $100 this year. the fact there are only 4 shows allows them to demand whatever price they want and the fans will consume it because it will be the prize of getting to attend one of only 4 shows in North America.

like someone said before, you either pay what they want or they don't come over. it's pretty simple, actually. they don't HAVE to come here, their records will sell regardless if they do or not.

basic economics.
:D

It may be a little off charts, but I think you probably have to re-evaluate your perception of a band "with a video like Call of the Wintermoon" such as Immortal and Emperor. To give you a slight idea, last time they played in NYC, tickets for the shows were if I'm not wrong $75 for Immortal and $90 for Emperor. You heard that right. And if I'm not wrong, both bands sold out the show (in fact, Emperor added an extra night, not sure if Immortal did the same). BB King's is not a tiny little venue either, it holds about a thousand people.

Pretty impressive for "a band with a video like Call of the Wintermoon", huh?

Plus, how can you compare Kamelot to Immortal? I'm sorry my friend, but if you think Kamelot is a bigger band than say Immortal or Emperor, you are SLIGHTLY mistaken. ;)

Ya this is true, Immortal is a bigger band, just kinda had to think about it from a non-biased point of view I guess. After thinking about it, I guess it makes perfect sense that the could POSSIBLY have that kind of guarantee. I mean hell, I would pay $200 for a ticket to see Avantasia or Edguy in some other state than FL + Travel expenses if they only had a few dates.

Still pretty cool if they can command that much. That means they have succeeded. :)

This is true but at the same time the New York show was at BB Kings which according to their website holds 1000 people standing room only. The last time Iron Maiden played NYC they sold out Madison Square Garden so you're talking about 15,000 plus people. That's a huge difference.
Let me clarify. My point was not intended to compare what both bands can draw in the states. My point was to illustrate what Immortal can draw elsewhere and what they can get paid elsewhere. Consequently, they need not play the states for air fare and a few dollars.

And on a side note, BB Kings is more than happy to oversell their venue to the tune of 1,200 people.

So if it costs a promoter $70,000 to bring Immortal to NYC and have them play at a 1000 people capacity venue, charge $70 a ticket and still make money then how much does it cost to bring a band like Iron Maiden to NYC if they play to a crowd 15 times the size of Immortal's?
I never said the promoter made money or that paying Immortal $70,000 to come over made sense. I'm simply stating that I heard what Milt heard, and that I wouldn't be shocked if it was true. I also wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't. And while I don't want to put words in his mouth, I suspect if Glenn thought the number was absurd, he would have said as much when he posted in this thread.

It just seems hard to believe that they would charge that much. I saw them open for Manowar in front of 100 people in Aurora, IL. But this was almost 8 yrs ago.
I know folks that saw Iced Earth play for 50 people. I saw Opeth play in front of 70. Who would have thought Amon Amarth would be doing regular headlining tours in the U.S. and playing the Nokia when they do? Or that Nile would be on Ozzfest? The genre has changed a lot. It's really not all that surprising.

Zod

Let me clarify. My point was not intended to compare what both bands can draw in the states. My point was to illustrate what Immortal can draw elsewhere and what they can get paid elsewhere.

I didn't take that as your point but I did make it mine. The point I was trying to make was the difference in draw from both bands based on past shows in NYC and the justification of paying Immortal 70k for a show there.

And on a side note, BB Kings is more than happy to oversell their venue to the tune of 1,200 people.

Definetly, not too surprised about that.

I never said the promoter made money or that paying Immortal $70,000 to come over made sense. I'm simply stating that I heard what Milt heard, and that I wouldn't be shocked if it was true. I also wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't.

I never said you said that either and sorry if it came out that way. I made that comment as an overall question to contribute to this thread. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. :)

And while I don't want to put words in his mouth, I suspect if Glenn thought the number was absurd, he would have said as much when he posted in this thread.

Agreed. I still can't process paying Immortal 70k to play one show here! That's just insane!

I still can't process paying Immortal 70k to play one show here! That's just insane!

process 1,200 tickets at $100 = $120,000 gross.
plus 75 tickets per show are meet and greet and who knows how much those cost. hell, they could be like gene simmons and sell a bass guitar at every show and make an additional $5K!! hahaha.

there is alot of money at stake all around.

the other thing to remember is that since these shows are announced so far in advance i doubt the promoters have to put up much and will be able to tell how well the shows are selling before they might lose their asses except in airfare and visas and maybe an advance.

but we all know these shows aren't going to flop.

Rileys holds over 300. Kreator / Destruction was almost sold out and that is what the door count was almost.

Yeah, I am not always great at guessing crowd sizes, but I certainly know there were more than 100 at Manowar.

Yeah, Kreator / Destruction was packed too, but not as much as Manowar / Immortal (and don't forget the mighty Bludgeon, HavocHate, and Catastrophic!!!)

process 1,200 tickets at $100 = $120,000 gross.
plus 75 tickets per show are meet and greet and who knows how much those cost. hell, they could be like gene simmons and sell a bass guitar at every show and make an additional $5K!! hahaha.

there is alot of money at stake all around.

the other thing to remember is that since these shows are announced so far in advance i doubt the promoters have to put up much and will be able to tell how well the shows are selling before they might lose their asses except in airfare and visas and maybe an advance.

but we all know these shows aren't going to flop.

All good points, makes you wonder if the band makes more money doing these one offs rather than a whole tour, probably.

Is there confirmation that the base ticket price is $100?
It's not, I'm curious where that number came from (and honestly also a little curious why people kept repeating it without taking 30 seconds and looking) - the base price is $40 in NY and $45 in LA. Expensive, but hardly outrageous considering what ticket prices for high profile shows have become.

I didn't take that as your point but I did make it mine. The point I was trying to make was the difference in draw from both bands based on past shows in NYC and the justification of paying Immortal 70k for a show there.
Fair enough.

I never said you said that either and sorry if it came out that way. I made that comment as an overall question to contribute to this thread. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. :)
No worries. I was merely trying to clarify my original statement a bit.

Agreed. I still can't process paying Immortal 70k to play one show here! That's just insane!
Agreed again. I'd love to know if they actually got that, or if it's just an internet rumor.

Is there confirmation that the base ticket price is $100?
$40 for regular tickets, $100 for the VIP meet and greet.

Zod

This is true but at the same time the New York show was at BB Kings which according to their website holds 1000 people standing room only. The last time Iron Maiden played NYC they sold out Madison Square Garden so you're talking about 15,000 plus people.

That's a huge difference.

If I recall from the Maiden Ozzfest fiasco, Sharon said something to the effect of we can do whatever we want when we pay 250k a night

Stingray, just so that you know, I'm not trying to be a smartass to you. With that said, I'm with Camden. I'm honestly not buying, no pun intended, that Immortal gets paid $70K to play shows over here. Where did you hear this from?

~Brian~
To both Thorns and Camden: Tickets to see Immortal at BB Kings in NYC were priced at $65 and $100 for VIP. Do you think anyone would charge that type of money for a puny $5K guarantee? And, the $70K was mentioned on THIS forum, not off the top of my head.

BTW, tickets to the Brooklyn Masonic Temple to see these guys are $40 GA, $100 VIP. This place is an ancient building in a rough neighborhood at night. Not as bad as Detroit or Hartford, but still a bit rough.

It's not, I'm curious where that number came from (and honestly also a little curious why people kept repeating it without taking 30 seconds and looking) - the base price is $40 in NY and $45 in LA. Expensive, but hardly outrageous considering what ticket prices for high profile shows have become.

purely speclulation for economic purposes and the fact that someone mentioned their last shows being $70. one would only assume with inflation and demand increasing that the tickets would go up. i am not authority on current Immortal ticket prices.

but, hey, i was just speculating and not speaking fact.

Sucks that they'd not want to allow their fans in the other parts of the US a chance to see them. One of my favorite metal bands ever...and I doubt I'll get to see them...even in their modern past-prime form.