Headliner #2 Confirmed:

Didn't think these folks were headliner material. Like their music - found out about them a while back.

Good call - these guys are a nice addition to the weekend!

Now we have to wait to see what Shane has up his sleeve! :)

I just listened and watched the video for "Silent waters" and I was quite impressed. Am I mistaken or was Amorphis labeled as Death Metal at one time? It seems some of their earlier stuff on Youtube has the cookie monster vocals. Did they change? I was really shocked with "Silent Waters". That song is KILLER! Why did I miss this band?

I just listened and watched the video for "Silent waters" and I was quite impressed. Am I mistaken or was Amorphis labeled as Death Metal at one time? It seems some of their earlier stuff on Youtube has the cookie monster vocals. Did they change? I was really shocked with "Silent Waters". That song is KILLER! Why did I miss this band?

Because it sounds like you dont like death metal and didn't try to listen to these guys..

I'm really psyched about this band. I've been curious about them forever. I once saw a review of one of their concerts in a local paper that was very favorable. Somewhere a long time ago I found a download of "The Way" and I really love that song. This is one of those bands that I want to pick up some of their CDs, but never think of it when I'm buying CDs.

That was out of left field. WTG!

I'm really psyched about this band. I've been curious about them forever. I once saw a review of one of their concerts in a local paper that was very favorable. Somewhere a long time ago I found a download of "The Way" and I really love that song. This is one of those bands that I want to pick up some of their CDs, but never think of it when I'm buying CDs.

That was out of left field. WTG!
Get yourself a copy of "Chapters", and the two latest ones (Eclipse, and Silent Waters), and you'll be set. Almost everything they will play live will come from those three. "Chapters" is a greatest hits type .. The Way is on there.

Britt

Great choice. I'm not as excited as Dark One or The Invisible Guest, but very happy with the choice.

Bri - just out of curiosity, have you ever heard "The Karelian Isthmus"? I wouldn't really recommend it to the folks around these parts, but it's raw power might be right up your alley.

I actually love both early Amorphis (up to "Elegy") and the last two discs. Not a fan of any of their middle era releases.

Jason

I am not an Amorphis fan and I thought Eclipse sucked. I have not checked out Silent Waters.

But Amorphis are a GREAT CHOICE FOR HEADLINER! They have the experience, the influence, and the status to deserve a spot like this. They are one of the absolute most historically important bands in Finnish metal from their early death metal days to their progressive/folky period in the late 90s. A lot of well-known bands today (especially big bands from the Finland area) owe a lot of Amorphis. Their music is certainly progressive as they have shown themselves to be continuously evolving songwriters (true to their band name). Any traditional prog-heads not yet familiar with them should like at least a few of their albums, while other albums will appeal to the heavy headbangers. They cut a good cross-section across the general ProgPower demographic. For them to go straight to the headliner slot is a great decision. They absolutely deserve it and I think they will be quite well received by almost everyone at the show. Respect to Glenn for coming up with this. I did see Amorphis in a few peoples' lists, but not commonly, and I personally was not expecting it.

Q, their last two are actually a mix of clean and growly vocaled stuff. Only one of the three songs Glenn posted contained growls, but each of their last two contain several songs that contain the growls. All three of the songs come from their latest two albums.

You might want to tread carefully if you are dead set against growling vocals. If you are at all open to them though Amorphis might be the kind of band to warm you up to the growls.

Britt

I am not an Amorphis fan and I thought Eclipse sucked. I have not checked out Silent Waters.

But Amorphis are a GREAT CHOICE FOR HEADLINER! They have the experience, the influence, and the status to deserve a spot like this. They are one of the absolute most historically important bands in Finnish metal from their early death metal days to their progressive/folky period in the late 90s. A lot of well-known bands today (especially big bands from the Finland area) owe a lot of Amorphis. Their music is certainly progressive as they have shown themselves to be continuously evolving songwriters (true to their band name). Any traditional prog-heads not yet familiar with them should like at least a few of their albums, while other albums will appeal to the heavy headbangers. They cut a good cross-section across the general ProgPower demographic. For them to go straight to the headliner slot is a great decision. They absolutely deserve it and I think they will be quite well received by almost everyone at the show. Respect to Glenn for coming up with this. I did see Amorphis in a few peoples' lists, but not commonly, and I personally was not expecting it.

Cool take .. but you are wrong about Eclipse .. it's a 9 or 9.5/10 album ;) The new one, Silent Waters, was my #1 of 2007.

Britt

Well, fuck me. I didn't think this would ever happen again, but apparently I'm going to ProgPower.

My reaction was pretty funny. I was first like "Amorphis? eh...not really a big draw for me. I've seen 'em live before, and never really had any thoughts of seeing them again." Then, I slowly remembered that I love Amorphis, and even better, they completely kick ass in their "reborn" form. And damn, a "death metal" band is headlining ProgPower. How could I not get behind that? So in about 20 seconds, I went from "meh...that's kind of disappointing" to "I'm totally going!!!"

But really Glenn, this better be the last time!!!

Neil