Name an album or new group that..

DreamThief said:
Hank Williams III -- Straight To Hell

This is a classic to me already, I can only hope that it gets the recognition that it deserves in 15-20 years. I know that pushing a Country album on a Metal Forum doesn't make alot of sense, but this album is amazing. The whole attitude of this album has a rebellious feel to it that alot of Metalheads can probably relate to. It also doesn't hurt that Hank III was in Super Joint Ritual and has his own metal band, Assjack.

Listening to this now. I have to say country outlaws were an influence on some early metal.

acidbasement said:
The legacy of a classic album/band is not determined by its fans, but by the albums and bands that follow it. A totally non-metal example is New Grass Revival, a "classic" band who did not sell many records, but who inspired a whole generation of bluegrass musicians to take their music in a new direction.

After he left New Grass Revival, John Cowan actually fronted a hard rock band. I don’t know if they ever recorded anything, but they played a few dates at Nashville clubs in the early 1990’s, and the live show ROCKED!

thumbing back through my cds since this post was started, I realize I overlooked a very important part of my collection. I was trying to put my thoughts together on how to present it to my fellow ProgPower fans here. But I think this review says it best:

"'Return Of The Snow Giant' is an album that literally smokes from front to back without a bunch of self serving nonsense thrown in as filler. Overlorde has produced an all time classic heavy metal album with this release!"

The CD is rated 9/10 and you can read the entire review at Metal Centre

Rider of Theli said:
thumbing back through my cds since this post was started, I realize I overlooked a very important part of my collection. I was trying to put my thoughts together on how to present it to my fellow ProgPower fans here. But I think this review says it best:

"'Return Of The Snow Giant' is an album that literally smokes from front to back without a bunch of self serving nonsense thrown in as filler. Overlorde has produced an all time classic heavy metal album with this release!"

There is an add for them on page #35 of the progpower program we got at the show.

Rider of Theli said:

If its a classic, I'd think it would be 10/10. I haven't listened to this album, but have heard songs and I do enjoy Overlorde.

Evergrey: Recreation Day

After Forever: Decipher

----------------

Edit: Without taking away from others' opinions, that is - many thanks for them; they help in CD buy decisions! :)

Cheiron said:
If its a classic, I'd think it would be 10/10. I haven't listened to this album, but have heard songs and I do enjoy Overlorde.

I didn't say that I gave it a 9/10. The Metal Centre reviewer did that.

I don't rate albums on a number system. I simply state if an album is 'great', 'ok', or 'not good at all'. And this album is GREAT! As far as I'm concerned 'Return of the Snow Giant' deserves the same consideration as any of the aforementioned artists or albums named in this thread so far - the Queensryche's, the Maiden's, the Dio's.

:headbang:

Nah Theli, I know you didn't. I was moreso questioning how a reviewer can call an album a classic and only give it 9/10. Perhaps the reviewer just doesn't give out 10s. Never read Metal Centre.

Entrerie said:
Keeper 3 was not weak, you maybe among the small minority here that thinks so, however the fact remains it's one of their best albums since Better then Raw, not according to me, but every metal review site I've ever visited online, all gave it high marks if not perfect scores.

Hmm, from what I remember, that was not the case.

Entrerie said:
Rabbit Don't Come easy was better then The Dark Ride imho , Just a little sign, Don't stop being crazy, Sun for the World, Open your life, The Tune, Never be a star, were all good songs, but they don't top the songs on Keeper 3.

Every song on The Dark Ride ranged from good to great. While there are some very good songs on RDCE and Legacy, there are also clunkers.

Entrerie said:
And I thought I was bad about listening to some deemed "pussy" power metal bands and songs, c'mon people?! Keeper 3 bad??..somebody back me up and tell me I'm not insane. Better yet tell me what you dislike about Keeper 3 in comparison to the other CDs, is it too harsh, too fast, too loud?

I like the more mid paced, more serious and heavier style of The Dark Ride. I know many don't because they want their Helloween fast and silly but I really enjoyed TDR. I thought Helloween re-invented themselves with that album. The last 2 albums, overall, are just 2nd rate Helloween.

And for the record, Mrs. God (I refer to it as Mrs. Gay) is a horrible song. Almost as bad (and I stress ALMOST) as Stratovarius' Maniac Dance.

Rider of Theli said:

Yes, that album does rule big time. :headbang:

Iced Ray said:
Hmm, from what I remember, that was not the case.

Every song on The Dark Ride ranged from good to great. While there are some very good songs on RDCE and Legacy, there are also clunkers.

I like the more mid paced, more serious and heavier style of The Dark Ride. I know many don't because they want their Helloween fast and silly but I really enjoyed TDR. I thought Helloween re-invented themselves with that album. The last 2 albums, overall, are just 2nd rate Helloween.

And for the record, Mrs. God (I refer to it as Mrs. Gay) is a horrible song. Almost as bad (and I stress ALMOST) as Stratovarius' Maniac Dance.

I prefer to call the song "Mrs. Godawful".

Braxil said:
I prefer to call the song "Mrs. Godawful".

What-evaaaaaaaaaah

I like every song on Keeper 3, even come alive. Next you will be telling me that Laudate Dominum sucked, and that Mission Motherland was also a bad song. :loco:

Well, no I didn't really have plans to tell you that. But Light the Universe is a WAY better single that Mrs. God, it seems like they wrote Mrs. God for the sole purpose of having a 'funny' single or something (as they once did quite convincingly), which isn't going to happen. I personally think that Andi's voice is becoming less and less suited for the soft songs though, while I thought Light the Universe was alright, something about his voice kept making me think the next line was always going to be "Dr. Stein grows funny creatures!", but that's just my opinion.

Braxil said:
Well, no I didn't really have plans to tell you that. But Light the Universe is a WAY better single that Mrs. God, it seems like they wrote Mrs. God for the sole purpose of having a 'funny' single or something (as they once did quite convincingly), which isn't going to happen. I personally think that Andi's voice is becoming less and less suited for the soft songs though, while I thought Light the Universe was alright, something about his voice kept making me think the next line was always going to be "Dr. Stein grows funny creatures!", but that's just my opinion.

I don't know how "Mrs. God, can't you see, all the shit you've done to me!" is sillier then "There's a house up the hill, with a boy who's sleeping still". One of their silliest songs is so awesome "Anything my mama don't like". It's not the first time Helloween have sung or used weird sounds in their songs like the circus music in "We Burn" or singing about racing cars(can even be interprested as surfing the web) in "Steel Tormentor. It's just Helloween being Helloween, the Helloween I like anyway. Dark Ride had Mr. Torture "Mr. Torture sells pain to the house wives in Spain" lol. That was a good song too.

I'm not trying to debate the cheesiness of power metal here, lost cause. I was more saying that Mrs. God was done to try to intentionally get laughs out of people, which worked wonderfully on things like Rise and Fall, but not so well for the past 15 years or so. Mr. Torture...I'm still up in the air about whether they thought the lyrics would sound that funny when it was done, but yeah, Uli Kusch is the man.

Braxil said:
I'm not trying to debate the cheesiness of power metal here, lost cause. I was more saying that Mrs. God was done to try to intentionally get laughs out of people, which worked wonderfully on things like Rise and Fall, but not so well for the past 15 years or so. Mr. Torture...I'm still up in the air about whether they thought the lyrics would sound that funny when it was done, but yeah, Uli Kusch is the man.

Hmm.. I don't think it was done for laughs, unless you can point where the band said so. Music is typically up to the individual to interpret for themselves. To me Mrs. God is a song about how God must be a woman who hates man, who makes life difficult for guys and plays with them like toys in a dollhouse. To be honest I don't even get that deep with the songs, I just enjoy the music and the melody and the singer's voice. They could be singing about pigs at the county fair and if the song has a good melody and is catchy I will probably like it.

I really don't listen to music for lyrics alone as much as just for the music. Most bands sing about the stupidest things I could never relate too anyway, but the songs are still good.

Well, yeah, the band has said on various occasions they laughed their asses off recording Rise and Fall, the sampled barn animal noises and the guitarists each playing a solo that exaggurates the techniques of the other to absurdity are good clues. :p Great song though.