Name an album or new group that..

RiffDaemon said:
I've always preferred Kai on vocals. Don't know what it is, but I always get that warm, fuzzy feeling when I hear him on Walls of Jericho.

I know exactly what you're talking about.
Heavy! Metal! Heavy! Metal!

Braxil said:
I know exactly what you're talking about.
Heavy! Metal! Heavy! Metal!

I like Kai as well, and enjoy the Keeper era as much as any Helloween fan does. Still, you have to admit that Andi Deris has one of the most unique and awesome voices in metal and has become ingrained in the Tapestry which is Helloween. It just wouldn't be Helloween without him and I wouldn't want it to be.

When you hear Andi's voice you know it's him, there is no mistaking it.

I think there only 5 other singers in metal for me besides Andi whose voice I would instantly recognize in a song off the top of my head, and a testament to their talent. In no particular order

1> Joacim Cans
2> Marco Hietela
3> Stian Thoresen
4> Lance King
5> Hansi Kursch

This is my opinion, I maybe leaving somebody out, but I'm pretty sure there is no mistaking I would know if these guys were singing in a song.

*edit* have to add Chris Bay of Freedom Call :) :) we need more Freedom Call love on the forums, and maybe at the next Progpower, one can only hope.

Jasonic said:
Dio
King Diamond
Lemmy
Dickinson
Halford
Sheepers
Russell Allen
Tate,
etc, etc, etc......

See I totally forgot about Bruce, thats proof in the pudding why these classics,best of threads are all bullshit, too many good singers bands out there, it's good to be metal!! :headbang:

Braxil said:
Good list except I don't think Cans is too distinctive. What about Matos?

I don't listen to Shaman but I did enjoy his stuff with Angra. I don't listen to Angra religiously but there were 2-3 songs that really stood out I think it was "Wuthering Heights"? I forget the name of the song but it's really high pitched and operatic,very very cool, reminded me of Virgin Steele's Last rose of summer. Even kinda Therionish. I like that Angra, but the newer stuff doesn't quite hit home I'm afaird. But I'm not familiar enough where I could pick him out on Avantasia, which *Slaps f'n forehead* how could I forget Tobias Sammet???

Not enough coffee or something, there is no excuse for that :erk: *hangs head in shame*

Yes, old Angra is many orders of magnitude more wonderful than new, and yeah the song is Wuthering Heights. I don't entirely agree about Tobias being too distinctive either even though he's one of my favorite singers. A lot of times on Avantasia the Kiske/Sammet/Matos line gets *real* blurry.

1) Hansi Kursch (I recognize him anywhere, even CDs where I didn't previously know he was on them)
2) Kai Hansen (same as Hansi, really stands out on guest vocal stuff .. I just about shat myself when he started singing on 'Sign of the Cross' from Avantastia I)
3) Bruce Dickinson (sp?)
4) James Hetfield
5) Ozzy Ozbourne (Lol, there's no mistaking his voice anywhere...)
6) Matt Barlow (mm hmm)
7) Steve Souza of Exodus fame

... I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit 'reply', haha

Popular schmopular. The legacy of a classic album/band is not determined by its fans, but by the albums and bands that follow it. A totally non-metal example is New Grass Revival, a "classic" band who did not sell many records, but who inspired a whole generation of bluegrass musicians to take their music in a new direction. If you sell 10,000 records, you will not be rich, but if everyone who bought them is an up-and-coming musician that wants to sound like you, you have probably made a classic record.

It doesn't matter if concert-goers like it or if it got radio play. If it changes the way *we* relate to music in a big way, even indirectly, then it's probably a classic.

So, who has opened the door to new bands in recent years? For starters, where would Cellador be without Sonata Arctica, or Epica without Nightwish? You all know the metal chronology better than me - I just wanted to clear up (or perhaps create more?) confusion regarding the definition of classic.

acidbasement said:
Popular schmopular. It doesn't matter if concert-goers like it or if it got radio play. If it changes the way *we* relate to music in a big way, even indirectly, then it's probably a classic.

Nodoby in the thread considered the *we* part of it... It became a "what's your favorite album of the past 3 years" thread...

Take a good look at what Zod said.Classic discs to me mean...
Fates Warning No Exit
Savatage Streets
Iron Maiden Seventh SOn
Dream Theater Images and Words
Queensryche Operation Mindcrime
Zero Hour Towers of Avarice
Watchtower Control and Resistance

How many cds in your collection from the past two years have heavy re-playability?There have been many cds which came out that we say..."Wow'this is great!!!" but two years later are collecting dust.Theres so many good discs...but nothing out there recently will stand the test of time and become a "Classic", with the exception of maybe Zero Hour "Specs"
Just my two cents for what its worth

acidbasement said:
Popular schmopular. The legacy of a classic album/band is not determined by its fans, but by the albums and bands that follow it. [...]

It doesn't matter if concert-goers like it or if it got radio play. If it changes the way *we* relate to music in a big way, even indirectly, then it's probably a classic.

So, who has opened the door to new bands in recent years? For starters, where would Cellador be without Sonata Arctica, or Epica without Nightwish? [...]

You're not the only voice of reason in this thread, but man (ma'm?), that was eloquently stated.

Angra- Angels Cry, Holy Land, Temple of Shadows. Just masterpieces. Set a whole new standard for power/progressive, if not created a new genre "Melodic metal", integrating authentic brazillian, classical, and other styles together in a unique way.

Circus Maximus- The 1st Chapter. Rivals Dream Theater if not beats them. I think their compositions are much better, more tasteful, and coherent.

NightWish- For reasons given.

Rhapsody- Ditto but for power metal.

Symphony X- I think they are classic if not they should be considered as such.

DarkTide said:
Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance (2003)... comes to mind. It's one of the best discs of the past few years, and it probably appeals to a wide variety of metal fans. It should appeal to the prog fans, and the power fans.

Orphaned Land - Mabool (2004) -- After a seven year or so hiatus OL comes out with a monster of a disc, that was quite the epic. It also seems to appeal to a wide range of folks.

Evergrey - Recreation Day (2003) -- Not my favorite of theirs, but probably the disc that gained them their greatest jump in popularity. I would think just about anyone who likes Prog or Power metal has this one, and enjoys the heck out of it.

Britt

I have to agree with the Evergrey. I think both Recreation Day and The Inner Circle will be classics.:headbang:

General Zod said:
None.

When I think of classics, I think of "Operation: Mindcrime", "Ride the Lightning", "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son", etc. Has there been a disc released in the last three years, that I think will one day stand along side those releases in terms of quality, originality and popularity? No. Not a single one.

Zod

What about The Black Halo? I don't think there's a bad track on it.:kickass:

Entrerie said:
Keeper 3 was not weak, you maybe among the small minority here that thinks so, however the fact remains it's one of their best albums since Better then Raw, not according to me, but every metal review site I've ever visited online, all gave it high marks if not perfect scores.

Rabbit Don't Come easy was better then The Dark Ride imho , Just a little sign, Don't stop being crazy, Sun for the World, Open your life, The Tune, Never be a star, were all good songs, but they don't top the songs on Keeper 3.

And I thought I was bad about listening to some deemed "pussy" power metal bands and songs, c'mon people?! Keeper 3 bad??..somebody back me up and tell me I'm not insane. Better yet tell me what you dislike about Keeper 3 in comparison to the other CDs, is it too harsh, too fast, too loud?

Apparently even Helloween fans know they suck. But just can't agree on which album sucks worse.:heh: :lol: just kidding..........no I'm not.

http://www.myspace.com/progressivedaze

Cheiron said:
In the last 3 years, will be still listened to and considered a classic in 15-20 years. (metal only for this thread).

I'm curious what people think, because this has been 'bothering' me a bit lately, that while I have heard lots of good albums in the last few years, I don't know if I've heard an album (particularly a new group), that in 15-20 years people will be saying, 'yeah they defined a genre' or 'one of the greatest albums ever.' I could be wrong. There are some that I think could be. Just not sure yet. So want to know what others think. Thanks.

It all depends on which group of 'people' you mean, here. :)

If you mean "prog- and power-metal fans of 2026" then I'd agree with several suggestions within the thread already. Opeth's Ghost Reveries, although I think we fans will remember Blackwater Park as their watershed CD.... Nightwish and CoB, definitely. Dragonforce also. Ayreon, yes, The Human Equation will be highly regarded.

If by "people" you mean "music fans in general, in 2026," that's a lot trickier. For a metal CD of today to be considered a genre-defining CD, or one of the greatest albums ever, that implies some popularity as well as a lasting influence on bands to come. A worldwide influence? Nightwish, yes, because they have a defining sound and huge popularity in Europe. Maybe Dream Theater. Beyond that, probably Dimmu's DCA, CoB, and Dragonforce if they're big elsewhere. And that's probably about it.

BTW. I think that Stride has the ability to make a classic. I can see their music inspiring young artists, and older alike, to make music in that style. We'll see.

Meanmistreator said:
Apparently even Helloween fans know they suck. But just can't agree on which album sucks worse.:heh: :lol: just kidding..........no I'm not.

http://www.myspace.com/progressivedaze

Too be sure we are limited in our demeanor on this forum to keep it copacetic, but your going to have to try trolling harder then that if you want to beat Sheng Long.