New Bands Announced For Chi-Town Powerfest

I've never been able to get into them for some reason.

Same here. Saw Machine Head opening for Black Sabbath w/ Dio and they were one of the most boring bands I've ever seen live.

Soil and Devil Driver. That's what we've been waiting for. Hmmm..not for me. They apparently still have one more big headliner.

Wow, that pretty much guarantees that I will not be attending. I will be going to Templars of Doom instead.

I hate to be so dissenting when guys are working so hard to get something up and running consistently but DAMN that was just not it for me. What I DO appreciate is their attempt to do something different (unlike the past few PP shows) but what I DON'T appreciate is going toward an Ozzfest route. There is an in-between idea where you can add some Euro hard rock or an established classic band (read: Pretty Maids, Grave Digger, etc) who don't tour the USA frequently. Yuck Yuck Yuck. Times are tough; too tough to spend $$$ where you skip 1 night of a 2/3 night fest.

My God, talk about changing gears, this is always been a widely varied fest when it comes to acts but to bring -core crap in is just too much. Saturday has Kiuas going for it, hopefully it'll be capped off by a couple of killer acts to make that day worth attending. I can't make friday's show anyway due to work, and not sure if I'll go saturday, if November's Doom were moved to sat. that might help me make up my mind though, I still have not had a chance to see them...argh...

While the announcement doesn't thrill me, I still feel like CPF represents three quality days of Metal. Obviously they're helped tremendously by the kickoff of Paganfest 2 on Thursday. However, I'm guessing that's something they worked hard to ensure coincided with their festival.

Zod

Well the fest still has no identity. Maybe they'll find one over the next couple years. If they survive. Soil is fine. I really don't care for Devildriver live, though I like some of the songs on their latest album. However, they do pull in the moshkids.

While the announcement doesn't thrill me, I still feel like CPF represents three quality days of Metal. Obviously they're helped tremendously by the kickoff of Paganfest 2 on Thursday. However, I'm guessing that's something they worked hard to ensure coincided with their festival.

Zod
Bottom line ... are you coming to the festival? There just isn't enough to entice people to hop on a jet and fly in for the weekend, and that announcement today was incredibly weak. I had to do a triple take, and then all I could do was laugh. I don't think any of the regulars who attend powerfest threw the horns up when they saw those two names. I thought the previous announcement was solid .. today's killed it.

I'll keep an eye out for the Saturday lineup, but the way the Novembers Doom guys were letting on it's just going to be more of the same.

Britt

What the fuck happened to Chicago Powerfest? Like...seriously. They went from Nocturnal Rites, Morgana Lefay, and Eldritch, then moved way up to Saturnus, Martyr, Atheist, Novembers Doom, and Solitude Aeturnus (the year that I thankfully made the trip up to see), to an alright year with Suidakra, Darkane, I.E., and Testament, to this?

I don't get it.

DevilDriver is perhaps the worst metal band to come along in the last 10 years. I seriously say that with that much finality--I've seen those clowns live twice and it was twice too much. I have no idea what their fans see in them. Soil isn't even metal. I've enjoyed them live in the past, but they opened for freaking Three Days Grace and Seether (and have played Ozzfest before)...what? I cannot say I agree at all with the direction that festival is taking. It seemed like 2006's lineup showed that the promoters had a nice grip on the pulse of the underground scene (except they also had Lethal headlining...a good band, but a headliner? Hmmm)...but this is sad. They nailed it by getting Kiuas, but they could have found some actual decent bands to headline the fest, given the precedent they've set with the 3 years prior.

The only thing that could get me to consider going is if the other headliner is something like Agalloch...or hell, Amorphis.

See Maryland Deathfest for details on how to gather a great underground metal lineup.

Well, my guess is that they went after the Opeth tour, and it didn't work out.
The Opeth Chicago date was announced a few days after their original announcement.
I seriously doubt Devildriver or Soil were in their original plans.

I agree with the above.
They are starting to lose their identity.

Hopefully it will all work out for them in the end.

Well the fest still has no identity. Maybe they'll find one over the next couple years. If they survive. Soil is fine. I really don't care for Devildriver live, though I like some of the songs on their latest album. However, they do pull in the moshkids.

Watch out for those moshkids lol.....I also do not like either of the bands announced, but the the whole mosh talk needs to stop...Its apart of the music scene and always will be, so quite bitching. :kickass:

Getting the Opeth tour assimilated into their fest would have been okay, but festivals should bring in a bit of exclusivity to attract fans specifically to them. For instance Iced Earth's appearance was their first US show since the return of Barlow, that was cool. Atheist played in '06, before they announced they'd be touring/writing again (when their reunion was still very fresh)...that was cool. They got Nocturnal Rites to play here in the US...and that was cool.

I also hope they find an identity, as I've seen quality from this festival in the past; I haven't lost hope for them, but still I gotta say, thumbs down on this year.

I think Devildriver is one of the worst bands out there. Something about them just makes me sick. It is a guarantee that Friday will sell out. It will be packed, but with the wrong types of people that a festival needs to get. They will be there to slam / mosh and drink. These are not the types that will be like..."Oh yeah...Chicago Powerfest is great". They see it as a Devildriver show. Kind of like last year....it was a Testament and Iced Earth show.

I my opinion...which isnt much granted. A fest needs its core audience...without it...it really is just a couple of shows packed together on a weekend. I agree...they are definely loosing their identity. From starting out with power metal to moving to doom / thrash to metalcore and now this. It seems they are still trying to figure out how to book these things. Sure it is easy for all of us to sit and judge it. (isnt that what the internet is for) In reality...they need bands to sell this thing. there is really only a small tier of bands who can pull this off. Possibly a solid night of 5 great bands who on thier own couldnt sell it out but together they posisbly could. it takes a good eye to figure these things out. I think that is why ProgPower is always a sell out. It seemed like they had a good idea at the start this year. More so than last year. I definetly will be passing on friday night. I am hoping for a better saturday headliner.

I dont like the atittude either that we should just accept it and open out minds up. Most people who are travelers to fest or read alot of message boards or just keep up on all things metal know crap from good stuff. We are the ones who make or break these kinds of things. If you book good bands...people show up. They will even travel in for it. Book crap...you will not have people there.

I will say...the Chicago Powerfest is always run well. Set lengths are always good and no one plays over thier time. I always have fun too. I am crossing my fingers for Cage and Overkill for Saturday.

Watch out for those moshkids lol.....I also do not like either of the bands announced, but the the whole mosh talk needs to stop...Its apart of the music scene and always will be, so quite bitching. :kickass:

No it hasnt, I guarantee you what he was referring to was the punch the floor and jump kicking fuckers. That is the shit that needs to stop. It is the worst trend to ever go through metal and it is fucking stupid.

I am officially on the fence this year.

I have not missed one since the first one in 2000. I was really excited for this announcement, and I was really let down by the fact that -- don't laugh -- I have never heard of either of these bands, and they don't sound like anything I'd like.

Part of the reason for my reaction may be the fact that I hardly ever listen to music anymore. Part of the reason may be the fact that I'm going through some stuff and am finding it hard to get excited about anything right now. But part of it is the fact that this year's lineup doesn't grab me, the way CPF's lineup ALWAYS has in the past. If I was local, I would go for sure, but the only band I'm REALLY psyched to see is Kiuas.

I am officially on the fence this year.

I have not missed one since the first one in 2000. I was really excited for this announcement, and I was really let down by the fact that -- don't laugh -- I have never heard of either of these bands, and they don't sound like anything I'd like.

Part of the reason for my reaction may be the fact that I hardly ever listen to music anymore. Part of the reason may be the fact that I'm going through some stuff and am finding it hard to get excited about anything right now. But part of it is the fact that this year's lineup doesn't grab me, the way CPF's lineup ALWAYS has in the past. If I was local, I would go for sure, but the only band I'm REALLY psyched to see is Kiuas.

Boob...for the first and only time ever in life I will say this. I wish I was you for the fact that you never heard Devildriver and Soil. Other than that...that would be it.

I wait every year to see who they get, since I am local it is always something I know I can get to. This year is so far a pass other than Pagan Fest 2 but I really dont count that as the fest itself.