PPUSA XVI - Cheers and Jeers

A special cheer to my great friend LunaTEKKE for all the hard work she did with the reservations and the nametags.

Thanks to you as well for getting the word out! It was a great way to reconnect with old friends and meet new ones!

Why are you even there if you're going to text incessantly and share said texts with your neighbors during sets?

Agree 100%. If a band bores you to the point that you’d rather wank around on your smartphone than watch the set, do us all a favor and step outside until the next band starts. It’s disrespectful to the band and fellow attendees.

Cheers *The humidity in the ATL. Coming from AZ, it's a complete 180 and it sucks lol.

Aw, crap, I didn't see you guys! I actually don't mind the humidity, as I'm so happy to get out of the triple-digit temps!!

my jeers are only for the jerks who left such a mess in the courtyard on saturday/into sunday.

What the hell is wrong with people? I wasn't staying at the Artmore, but I would volunteer to be on a post-PPUSA cleanup crew in future years. (As long as it didn't start too early. :D) We want the local businesses to be HAPPY we are there and to look forward to us coming back.

Cheers:

* Glenn - I laughed at all of the cancelations this year because I mean at some point it's just that absurd. I, like everyone else, feel for you for everything that'd happened, but you certainly looked more in control and happy this year than I remember ever seeing, and you and your crew just killed it. I told the Anathema folks that we all work so incredibly hard through the year to be able to come to this event and let it all go for a few days. I thanked them for putting such a tremendous amount of effort into their craft, and so I say the same to you. We all know this festival goes beyond just the logistics and the bands on stage, it's not just about the music, but everything else too. It's so tremendously important in so many of our lives. Thank you for gutting it out every year.

* Jen - Really, I know what Glenn's driving factor is and who's really running the show. So basically everything above applies to the true power behind the prog. ;) You're a doll and I'm sorry we couldn't chat more this year. As always for the two of you, I'm at your disposal for anything you need in my world. :)

* Milton - You've come so far so fast and your work ethic is tremendous. Your my bother, and there truely is nothing that made me happier this year than seeing you down in front enjoying Angra after this past year of planning and execution on every tour you managed to put together and find success with leading up to Wednesday night. To Infinity and Beyond. #POWERCHEESE

* Crew - I don't know what most of you do, but that just means your the best damn motherfuckers in this business. Keep being a well oiled machine!

* Douche Crew - Next year, we bring it up. Special mention: Kelly, for making Whiskey Cake! Flying Biscuit for delivering! Douche MVP award this year goes to Tim's robe.

* Amanda, Kris, Greg, and Tim - You guys are everything to me every year. I could not have asked to be part of a better group of friends for this. I felt a bit like a Progpower Racoon this year but hopefully my choice in beer and cupcakes made up for it a little.

* Metal Rose - Cheering you because I know how difficult the past two years have been for you and how very, very happy I am that you've made it back to the family. I know coming this year meant a lot to you, but know seeing you again really makes progpower complete.

* That one guy in the Elvenking vest who gave me his rail spot for Anathama, AND THEN STOOD BEHIND ME AND SUNG EVERY SONG WITH ME THE ENTIRE SET DUDE YOU ARE THE REAL MVP. Seriously this is why I come to this festival. I cannot believe you did that for me and I espoused your awesomeness all weekend to anyone who'd listen.

* Voyager / Anathema - These two bands provided the most insane back to back performances that exhausted me physically and emotionally. Voyager is just the embodiment of fun. I can't wait to see them headline, and have no doubt they will. Seeing Iron Dream and DC Coop doing Fire of the Times, A+ could not have asked for anything more. Anathema was just a different beast all together. I cannot comprehend the level of musicanship and emotion they coax from whatever realm uses them as a conduit.

Vincent playing that drum right in front of me during Distant Satellites will forever be burned into my mind as the single most passionate, emotionally charged, intense thing i will ever experience at a music show. It resonated in my soul. I wish EVERYONE could've been standing where I was for that because oh my god.

*Dynazty crew who made it in for sticking around with us and partying. Until the early hours of Saturday in some cases.. ;)

* The Artmore for playing host to us again and dealing with all of our shit. The staff was unbelievable this year! So friendly and happy. I hope none of you continue to take advantage of that.

** Every year, I'm flabbergasted by how many people come up to me and say "oh hey you're nailz!" .. this year, I've gotten "oh you're the gay one!" and things like that. I know I've probably said it every year, but I can't even begin to mention how great it is to know that you all come in from everywhere in the world, and are so open and accepting of me after having come out. Yes, it's been years, but it's important enough to me to be so thankful that it's a thing, and that it happens every year from someone new. And when you all show that kindness, love, and support for me and others around in the LGBT spectrums in this environment, I can't express to you how far reaching your actions are to others who are in attendance.

Jeers:

I don't have a lot this year. And that's always good. Sure, the courtyard was all sorts of Bullshit on Sunday morning but there's a lot of fresh blood coming through. I asked Jamie and Shaye to take point on cleanup around 4a when I tapped out and they got it done, but it was a long night. Let's chalk it up to an oops and make sure it doesn't happen again, rather than dwelling on it.

I didn't get to see all the bands I wanted who were here because my body just can't hold up. Thus, jeers to myself for missing Helker, and Unleash The Archers, but you gotta do what you gotta do, and I needed a nap.

More importantly, I don't get to see the lot of you enough. There's just not enough time through the weekend to see all of you as much as I'd like, so if I cut our conversations short, or felt like I was distracted, or you thought I was being rude or ignoring you, please know that's not, nor ever has been, my intention. Much love to every one of you.

What the hell is wrong with people? I wasn't staying at the Artmore, but I would volunteer to be on a post-PPUSA cleanup crew in future years. (As long as it didn't start too early. ) We want the local businesses to be HAPPY we are there and to look forward to us coming back.

I think I'm going to try and make this a thing next year.

CHEERS -

- Glenn and Jen for the 24/7/365 effort that goes in to hosting this awesome festival (my 10th!). Kudos for repeatedly pulling rabbits out of the hat to make this year a great experience for the fans despite a never-ending stream of bad news and bad luck. I am honored to be a Sponsor and will keep coming back as long as y’all want to keep this party going! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

- Nathan and Milton for Wed./Thurs. nights - can’t wait to see what you have planned for 2016! (And super excited to have both nights at Center Stage!)

- Speaking of bad news, CHEERS to all of the fans and sponsors who were affected by the cancellations for handling the situation with total class. The overwhelming sentiment that I heard was, “I’m disappointed, but I’m glad I came; I’m still having a blast”.

- The crew, staff, and Visa Guy for making the magic happen behind the scenes.

- ALL of the bands, but a few special mentions…

*****VOYAGER for blowing the freaking roof off the place on Friday. They definitely deserve a spot in the PPUSA Hall of Fame!! :kickass::kickass: I was bummed that the set was cut short, but I understand the need to keep things running on time.

*****EVERGREY for the acoustic set (and comedy show) on Thursday. I commented to a few people that I would love to see Tom Englund and Jon Oliva share a stage one day. (Although I would probably bust a rib from laughing). :lol:

*****JEFF SCOTT SOTO for stepping up to the plate twice (first to join the roster, then to extend his set) and absolutely kicking ass! I had only previously seen him with TSO, and it was great to see him in his true element! (That is, once I got over the surprise of hearing him say “motherfucker” on stage, which you don’t hear at a TSO show :lol:).

*****HELKER for a great set and for letting us be a part of your “dream come true.” Seeing Diego’s pure joy almost made me shed a tear! :cry:

- Whoever picked up the tab for the Gold Badge/VIP Anathema acoustic set on Saturday. I don’t really mind paying $15 for an extra show, but the free show was a nice perk and was appreciated!

- PUMPKIN CUPCAKES from Truly Great Cupcakes!!!!

- I thought the lighting was great this year. I am extra sensitive to those painful strobes and spotlights, and did NOT miss them at all! :cool:

- I’m not a huge fan of seeing bands in the Loft, but loved that the back room was open this year on Wednesday night. A great way to catch up with friends who I hadn’t seen for a year!

- All of the amazing fans who share my passion for great music! I love my friends and family back home, but no one understands my musical obsession like y’all do! Special shout-out to everyone who participated in the Thursday Forum Lunch, including all who attended, Front Page News, and Diamond45 for co-hosting! Also to Cindy (sorry if not spelled right) from CA for suggesting the store at the High Museum of Art when I was looking for a souvenir for my little nephew. What a great spot - I hope to go back and check out the exhibits next year.

- JOHN FREAKING ARCH in 2016!!!!!!! :worship::worship::worship:

JEERS -

- USCIS Visa delays. Whatever system is in place needs to be scrapped and rebuilt from scratch. If this was really about keeping our country safe, I’d have a little more patience - but it seems to be more about a swollen system of bureaucratic pencil-pushing. :mad:

- Speaking of pencil-pushing, I waited in the security line at the ATL airport with two friends who didn’t notice they had been given TSA pre-check status. (No idea how that is assigned - I got pre-check from PHX to ATL, but not on the return). We got to the front of the line, and the TSA agent wouldn’t let them through and told them they had to go back to the END of the line for TSA pre-check. I got through faster than they did. :rolleyes:

- Excessive use of the smoke machine. My throat and eyes were burning on Saturday, and the place where I was sitting didn’t even get the worst of it!

- Food sales stopped sometime Saturday evening. The first few years I attended, outside food was allowed (or maybe it was a rule, but no one cared to enforce it)…I wish the venue would go back to that!

- As much as I hate feeling compelled to tip $1 to have a restroom attendant give me a paper towel, the restrooms are much cleaner and better stocked when the attendants are working! Good thing I attend shows like this with a travel-sized roll of toilet paper. Maybe I should have brought extras and sold some to pay for next year's trip. :D

Agree 100%. If a band bores you to the point that you’d rather wank around on your smartphone than watch the set, do us all a favor and step outside until the next band starts. It’s disrespectful to the band and fellow attendees.

I totally forgot this as a jeer! If you don't like the band and if you're so damn bored, please take you and your phone outside. Why stick around and play on the phone and piss off everyone else? (The light is a distraction!)

I'm so guilty of texting during sets. I had no idea it was that distracting. I'm sorry.

I'm not going to stop doing it but I'm sorry.

At least we sit in the top rows!

cheers: to everyone who helped put on a great show, over coming uscis issues thanks so much for your dedication.
jeers : just one nuclear blast are the biggest metal label on the planet YET they got stuck in the corner, and did not have alot of merch to sell! COME ON MAN

cheers: to everyone who helped put on a great show, over coming uscis issues thanks so much for your dedication.
jeers : just one nuclear blast are the biggest metal label on the planet YET they got stuck in the corner, and did not have alot of merch to sell! COME ON MAN

and they only brought less than 20 copies of the new Amorphis! C'mon MAN!!! :fu:

They were the last vendor to arrive. Also, they didn't vocalize any issue with the corner, they actually had a ton of space behind the table to lay out their overstock, also had good natural lighting over there. Just saying.

oh yeah one more JEER.

If you are going to use your phone during a set, DIM THE MOTHERF**KING SCREEN. there I said it *whew*. So many people with the brightness on 100% in a pitch black room. It is not rocket science people, if it's blinding you it is MOST DEFINITELY distracting to everyone else around and behind you.

Cheers:
- whoever found my wallet in the venue on Friday and turned it into the will call office, contents intact (including the cash I owed Ken Luther for my gold badge), THANK YOU.
- Lara, for staging an introduction to the Anathema guys that turned into the best couple of hours I've ever spent at PP. (additional fistbumps to Su and Matt.)

> Vincent playing that drum right in front of me during Distant Satellites will forever be burned into my mind as the single most passionate, emotionally charged, intense thing i will ever experience at a music show. It resonated in my soul. I wish EVERYONE could've been standing where I was for that because oh my god.

^^ this too. holy crap.

The rest - I ain't got nothin' everyone else hasn't already said.

Cheers:

Glenn, Jen, Milton, and Nathan
The entire ProgPower crew
my roomies of awesome: Su, Christina, Jaime, and Joan
The Artmore staff
The staff at Center Stage
the food vendors in the lobby of Center Stage

Jeers

The USCIS of course

The noobs that made a mess in the Courtyard on Sunday morning

anyone who messes with my roomies (you know who you are)

I'm so guilty of texting during sets. I had no idea it was that distracting. I'm sorry.

I'm not going to stop doing it but I'm sorry.

At least we sit in the top rows!

A few random texts during a 45+ minute set, not a big deal. Facebooking for an entire set is pretty obnoxious.

Cake taker? Lady next to me during Angra who was just straight up playing Pokemon on her DS. Last set of the fest...if you're so uninterested that you're playing Pokemon...leave. What the actual fuck to that.

Dude, you gotta catch em all and sometimes those legendaries only spawn on a Saturday at night. I'm not even fuckin kidding.

That might be the nerdiest thing ever said on this forum, and that's sayin' something.

I'm not ashamed to say I laughed, either.

CHEERS - Whoever picked up the tab for the Gold Badge/VIP Anathema acoustic set on Saturday. I don’t really mind paying $15 for an extra show, but the free show was a nice perk and was appreciated!

You're welcome. It was a gift from Glenn and I to our faithful supporters.

~Jen

Cheers
The "family" of Progpower......its the only place I feel normal
Diego Valdez of Helker for being one of the coolest musicians I have ever met
Armored Saint for well......being Armored Saint
The Visa guy just because he deserves some love

Jeers
Whom ever was smoking weed during the show on the floor
Valerie Marchu not being able to attend

Fuck the minimal Jeers.

Cheers: Glenn/Jen/Milton/Nathan/Crew.....kick ass job again. Seamed flawless to me. Thanks for all your hard work. Also, I'm glad the Wed/Thurs shows weren't announced yet....something to look forward too.

So many cheers

Glen, Jen and the crew, you guys did a stellar job especially given the setbacks this year. Thank you so much

Milton for helping find a ticket for Wednesday night. Also for putting in that awesome show!! I still owe you beer dude.

Anathema for putting on a great show!! Also for the guy who let me use his front spot for anathema as long as I gave it back for Falconer (his name started with T, he was there with at least one son and gave the spot to the Aussie girl). I really appreciate it, it was such a good experience to be right at the front for that set.

Voyager, for putting in a great show, can't believe it's taken me so long to see them given how I had many chances back home. Also for giving video message shout outs to Valerie who couldn't make this year, she loves them and very much appreciated them!

Also they and others who dealt with some of my drunken nonsense. It was a bit of a shock to the system that I'm definitely no longer 20, so a huge thank you to everyone who was patient with drunk me (apologies if I got inappropriate to anyone as well!)

Jeers... Only to the visa issues. Was looking forward to Dynazty, but it does show how awesome the show organisers are for getting around all set backs!

Love to all and fingers crossed to see you Next year!!