ProgPower do's, don'ts

el_ace

prog frog
Sep 14, 2007
ELP, Mexico
Hey all,
This is going to be my first PP and I just can't wait, well, I bought tickets for last year's but we couldn't make it due work reasons. I'll be assisting to Fri and Sat shows,

My question is: How would a good Prog Power tutorial read for a n00b?

Thx

from what i understand there is no moshing

and be updated on the camera policy

and just be nice and respectful and everyone should treat you the same!

I have come to the decision that only film photography will be allowed from now on.

On the camera policy and all, what does that mean? I first thought no camera's were allowed and I re-read this...I have like a 5ish megapixel digital camera I wanted to bring but I was like damn no pictures nevermind...does it qualify?

I have come to the decision that only film photography will be allowed from now on.

On the camera policy and all, what does that mean? I first thought no camera's were allowed and I re-read this...I have like a 5ish megapixel digital camera I wanted to bring but I was like damn no pictures nevermind...does it qualify?

It means pictures are cool, as long as they are taken from a film-using camera. IE: If you put film into it, and have to have the film developed, then the camera is fine. Digital cameras of all sorts are off-limits.

And the no-moshing clause above makes me so happy. :kickass:

Yeah I know. Digital cameras are by far the most widely used among casual photographers (an many professionals as well) these days, but I can see Glenn's point of view. It's easy enough to take a digital camera with video capabilities and bootleg a performance DVD of your own.

But this isn't really a big deal for me, because I tend to like the way my film camera pics turn out better anyhow :D.

Blame people who bootlegged the show after being asked not to. Everyone else suffers. I'm over it though. I don't care if I can't have a camera in the venue too much. NO MOSHING is the greatest fucking rule EVER created, and there is only one crowd surfer allowed: Glenn.

Pace yourself. The festival is longer than you can imagine .. sleep as much as you can when you can friday night. It's a big party night, but Saturday is a party night too, and you don't want to be sick for night 2.

If you want seats at night that don't suck, get there early and be quick to claim a seat. They go fast.

Take advantage of hotel free breakfast. You probably wont eat much while you're watching bands play. I like to sneak out on Saturday night during a band I'm not overly concerned about to go back to the hotel to order some pizza. Being at the Granada for this specific purpose helped quite a bit, because i could go order pizza, and be back before the next band after it arrived.

Seats? If im spending all this money for this show im getting as close as I can for every band(so far only band I can't click with is Virgin!)! But yeah im going to be feelign shitty on saturday :(

dont party naked

--Unless you're partying on one of the hotel rooftops. :heh:

DO bring lots of cash; not every CD vendor accepts credit cards

DO enjoy the almost unique camaraderie that ProgPower's audience has formed over the years, and be sure to say 'hi'....maybe even get a Forum nametag

DON'T over-exert yourself; if you feel like you're starting to fade, sit down and take a break

DON't give in to hate; hate leads to the Dark Side-- oh, wait. :lol:

Blame people who bootlegged the show after being asked not to. Everyone else suffers. I'm over it though. I don't care if I can't have a camera in the venue too much. NO MOSHING is the greatest fucking rule EVER created, and there is only one crowd surfer allowed: Glenn.

Yep, bastards! NO MOSHING is THE single best rule about this fest, especially after my ER vist the morning after Symphony X in show in Mokena.

Also:

1) Be respectful to the band dudes, especially when they're eating. Most of the bands can be found milling around the fest all weekend.

2) Don't bring 800 things for your favorite band to sign at the designated signings. I believe the limit is 2 or 3 items.

I highly suggest a good pair of ear plugs, as 4 days of metal can wear you down. Etymotic Research makes their model ER-20s, that I have used for years. I am sure you can google to find some info. They are the best $10 you can spend.

Like everyone else so far I would definitely say "pace yourself". PP is a chance for me to see one of my only other surviving friends from the high school days - so our first night in town usually results in massive hangovers :)

Definitely take advantage of any free breakfast at the hotel you are at. It IS worth it to drag your weary carcass there, because like many have said - odds are you wont be eating much once things start up.

Do say hello to anyone & everyone. I suck with names (who now Alzheimer's hit at age 40, maybe I'm just special) but I do recognize people from year to year (this is only year 3 for me). This is quite a collection of good people - from all over, and their tastes are pretty diverse. You're bound to meet some good folks here for sure.
Bring cash. You never know where you'll find an ATM, or if your fellow PPers have already drained it - and you will find that one item you can't live without at one of the vendors. Also, taking out a bunch of cash at your local bank before heading to ATL can save you precious dollars in fees - could be the difference between having that one extra beer (or cd etc) each night.

If you hear of a "meetup" or something and you are available to go. Again, the people that attend are a big part of why this has become such a special event. Whether it's lunch at Front Page News (which we were at, at same time, but didn't sit with the big group) or if you hear a bunch of people going to Six Flags, Cheetahs, the Coke museum etc - see if you can bum along. You'll have a blast and end up getting to know some of the people a lot better.

Listen for kickass tunes emanating from behind hotel doors. If you hear something you like - knock, introduce yourself & be prepared to party.
Finally, if this is your first PP Fest, the number one piece of advice I can give - be prepared to be hooked immediately. Start planning for next year - tell your boss/significant other etc, start saving money now :)

See ya there,:headbang:
Jeff

I highly suggest a good pair of ear plugs, as 4 days of metal can wear you down. Etymotic Research makes their model ER-20s, that I have used for years. I am sure you can google to find some info. They are the best $10 you can spend.

Thanks for the heads up. I was just about to create a thread on ear plugs asking which ones worked well. I have some crappy foam ear plugs that protect hearing, but the sound you do hear sucks. I'm looking for good quality ones that allow you to hear the sounds, just at fewer decibels.

Finally, if this is your first PP Fest, the number one piece of advice I can give - be prepared to be hooked immediately. Start planning for next year - tell your boss/significant other etc, start saving money now :)

See ya there,:headbang:
Jeff

this is about the BEST piece of advice - last year was my first year, and i could not wait to get my tickets for this year - the people, the music...the EVERYTHING

oh yeah - and pacing is good :) as is the cash and ear plugs and everything else everyone has added:kickass:

just keep in mind - if you are not enjoying yourself, it's your own damn fault - there is SO much going on that if you don't like what's going on where you are, go elsewhere...you WILL have fun

peace
Rev Su

Do say hello to anyone & everyone. I suck with names (who now Alzheimer's hit at age 40, maybe I'm just special) but I do recognize people from year to year
I'm special too. :oops: I recognize everyone but can't remember names, so to everyone: unless your name is Greg, please reintroduce yourself. I'll probably remember our entire conversation from last year but not your name.
Don't try to keep up with any Scandanavians when drinking... ;)
Welcome aboard.. and like stated above - PACE yourself... they are 3 long days...
Oh too true. Especially any Norwegians you see hanging on the porch of the Granada. (Note avatar). Remember, Scandinavians have way more practice then we do and a genetically altered constitution that enables them to drink us under the table, couch, shrubbery, etc. :zombie:
I use these too and highly recommend them. I suggest bringing two pairs. Well worth the investment and if you lose one, your not screwed. ( I added the link )

More advice:
Many of the hotels have free shuttles that will take you to the grocery store that also sells beer. (Kroegers, I think) The walk is a bitch.

There's a convenience store only two blocks south of the Granada in the lobby of an apartment building (also sells beer). Ask someone where it is.

The event is not located in a really residential area, so once Saturday hits a lot of things, like restaurants close early. And there are only a few in the area. Didn't we have a food/supplies guide made up one year? Can someone find it and post again?

just keep in mind - if you are not enjoying yourself, it's your own damn fault - there is SO much going on that if you don't like what's going on where you are, go elsewhere...you WILL have fun

Agreed 100%. It's not to hard to "make" yourself have fun at PP though. :)

Make time for your friends... before you know it, it'll be Saturday night, and you'll realize you've hardly talked to him/her/them.

I think everyone else ocvered the most important stuff though--you should be armed for ProgPower now! :lol:

Shaye