Repeat Bands?

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Ok..I want as much input as possible in this thread on how you feel about repeat bands. I am not referring to who specifically you want to return, but how you feel in general about repeats. Do you want a completely new roster? Do you want repeat headliners if there aren't other new headliners available? Do you want repeat lower bands moved up into higher slots? Do you want lower slot repeats knowing there is no way they will move up in the overall roster?

Please remember that I do NOT WANT CHEERLEADING POSTS TO BRING BACK SOMEONE YOU SPECIFICALLY WANT TO SEE.

Glenn H.

I would not mind having repeat headliners or repeat lower bands who are now deserving of a higher spot. I would NOT want lower slot bands repeated if they are still of a lower slot caliber. With that said, please bring back ....(Just kidding)

I don't really mind, though the magic of Angra being a headline again this year wasn't as present. I think it's fine for a repeat band if they deserve it - like Edguy getting headline for 5. They deserved it at III - owned the place.

I don't mind, but I do want it to be a mix of new and old bands. A 100% returning fest would be kinda "eh" since most bands have only 1/2 new albums since they last came.

I would like repeat bands in respect to headliners, lower slots, and for former lower slot bands to become headliners, and lower slot bands to return in lower slots. Although I'd still like to see some bands (even ones that aren't as heavy as the usual lineups), that have not played Prog Power, to get a chance as well.

I would totally support repeat bands because all of my favorite bands would be repeats, and I never got to see them on their first times through. I'm all for repeat bands if it means I might get a shot at seeing my favorite bands for the first time.

Repeat bands are a MUST. Clearly certain bands will need to face the realities of a lower slot. But I fully support rewarding repeat bands with a higher slot if they have earned it.

The real KEY with repeat bands is NOT repeating setlists. For me, the real treat of a repeating act is getting material you would not otherwise see on a typical tour. That is the best way to avoid getting comparisons to previous shows in regards to energy and overall performance. Seeing a repeat band should not result in leaving the show only to compare it to a previous show, but rather it should be a completely unique show with surprises and deep cuts to keep people on their toes.

I think you need repeats or you're going to run out of bands. Repeat headliners are fine, as are repeats who are moving up a slot IMHO.

I do think that if a band is going to repeat they need to have some new material since their last performance, or at least do something different with the setlist (such as the fan voting for PoS's set list last year).

rockyracoon said:
Repeat bands are a MUST. Clearly certain bands will need to face the realities of a lower slot. But I fully support rewarding repeat bands with a higher slot if they have earned it.

Oh yeah - I would think an entire repeat roster (PP Best Of) would be great but as a seperate entity.... (yeah yeah I know - like you need ANOTHER logistic headache to worry about!) but I would definitely think a roster with 2 to 5 repeat bands if the pickings are thin for you this year would be fine.

Definitely some bands back from PP 2 and 1..... it would be nice to see a band that played once before and did well come back with a HIGHER slot....

Truthfully, just a plain old repeat in itself should be fine - for most, this festival might/can be the only time they will get to see a certain band they are a fan of and to have that band come back again years later in any capacity is a thrill.

(Dreamscape two years in a row knocked my socks off :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: ........... and hell I am still looking for those fuckers too...:loco: )

The last couple of posts bring up a good idea about new material and different set lists! That is a must for a repeat band! For a band to just play all the same songs again...well unless I missed them before I'd be against it. LOL

If the band slayed the audience in the past, bring them back regardless of where they played before and where you plan to stick them again. Chances are that they will slay again and make your customers very happy again.

When picking repeat performers, I'd start with those who have only played PP once and not multiple times.

When picking repeat performers, consider those who haven't played the USA since their last PP performance or who have only played a few shows in the USA (no full tour).

I agree with those above that it would nice if a repeat band plays a different setlist. This shouldn't be a big issue if the band has a new disc to promote. If a band only wants to play the same old stuff like Maiden does 99% of the time, then forget about them.

Harvester said:
Ok..I want as much input as possible in this thread on how you feel about repeat bands. I am not referring to who specifically you want to return, but how you feel in general about repeats. Do you want a completely new roster? Do you want repeat headliners if there aren't other new headliners available? Do you want repeat lower bands moved up into higher slots? Do you want lower slot repeats knowing there is no way they will move up in the overall roster?

Please remember that I do NOT WANT CHEERLEADING POSTS TO BRING BACK SOMEONE YOU SPECIFICALLY WANT TO SEE.

Glenn H.

If I were king, I would decree that repeat acts (especially headliners) must:
1. Have a new album out.
2. Have NOT been in the states in the last year or two--not just prog power but anything.
3. Have proven themselves to be kickass performers above and beyond the normal greatness of Prog Power bands.

I would be more enthusiastic about a headliner that played here before and blew me away with a first or second or third slot set, than someone I have never seen before. I can think of several bands that really deserved to headline the second time they were at ProgPower.

All of that being said, let me take this chance to kiss your ass directly: Glenn, you can count on me being there every year, for as long as you care to do this event. I trust your judgement and know whatever you put together will kick serious ass.

Will you be reading other threads asking for the next set of bands???
;)

I think repeaters are good as long as they have some new material since last time they played.

It seems as though Glenn *may* be having problems finding a whole new set of acts for this year's show. And to be quite honest, I'm not too surprised, especially with the headlining slots. New bands are popping up each year, many of whom merit a spot on the main stage as an opener or a second-slot. That being said, how many bona fide "headliners" remain? Probably not all that many. And while it's always new and exciting to see new bands, there's a reason why the show sells out each and every year...the quality of the bands that have played in the past.

I, for one, have no problem seeing a few returning acts, even at the lower levels. Granted, there have been a small handful of acts in the past that I could care less about, but overall, I couldn't be happier with the selection.

That being said, I can think of countless bands that would probalby qualify as "threes or fours" that I would love to see get their hour in the spotlight. For me, the three spot has consistently stolen the show and I expect this trend to continue.

However, one of the most exciting things about the festival is seeing a handful (or more) of new bands that we would otherwise not get the chance to see.

Kudos on the great work and thanks for actually asking about the fans opinions. Clearly, you don't "need" to do that.

My advice, use your judgment. It's worked thus far...

I HAVE NO PROBLEM SEEING REPEAT BANDS. MOST OF THESE BANDS DON'T TOUR ALOT HERE, AND THEY DON'T COME TO KANSAS EVEN IF THEY TOUR THE STATES. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE SOME OF THE LOWER SPOT BANDS GET MORE TIME. I GLADLY WELCOME THE NEW BANDS THAT YOU PULL OUT OF NOWHERE (CM). THEY CAN KICK ASS AS MUCH OR MORE THAN THE HEADLINER.

I think repeat bands, especially in the headline slots, are inevitable. There just aren't enough "gettable" bands that can fill those shoes, as you currently have the festival formatted. However, I have a different take on the necessity for a "true headliner" than you. Obviously, you know a lot more about this than I do, and I certainly wouldn't presume to tell you your business. But I don't believe you need a "true headliner". Not a single headliner has held much interest for me, with the possible exception of Angra (this year) and they were unimpressive. To me, having 10 quality bands is the key. I believe you have enough of a following, that you're going to fill Earthlink every year, regardless of whether you have a Gamma Ray or a Nightwish. I'd prefer to see bands of Tad Morose's and Brainstorm's level in in the four top slots. As an example, would the following line-up not sell out Earthlink (in no order):

Tad Morose
Brainstorm
Redemption
Primal Fear
Zero Hour
Vanden Plas
Pyramaze
Lanfear
Freak Kitchen
DragonForce

Not a headliner in the bunch. And obviously, five return bands for one fest is a bit much. These bands just best represent the status of the bands I had in mind. And I'm not cheerleading for these particular bands, just trying to illustrate my point.

As for repeat bands in all other slots, it's all a matter of you have back. But that's more a matter of taste than it is about format.

I'm not sure if that feedback is useful. I thought PPIII was the most unappealing line-up of the 5 PPs I've been to. Fact of the matter is, I'm buying my GBs blind every year, because I know you'll give us a quality show, so in the end, it matters very little to me.

Zod

I wouldnt mind some repeats, you'd have to eventually. I agree that those bands that are repeating should probably not have been in the United States in the past few years.

In addition, I suggest starting as far back as you could, with earlier progpowers....such as...choose a band from PP2 for next year rather than from PP5

Repeats are going to be an inevitability. Bands who have played a lower slot, but have gained enough momentum, fan base to justify a headline slot would be the preferred, for me. A band that has headlined, or co-headlined, would be fine as long as it has been a few years, and have a couple of albums worth of new material to draw from. I really don't see any way to avoid it.

Let me add that other than PoS, I think the repeats, at least for the next show, should be bands that have only played the show once before. I think you will draw more appeal say with a return of Gamma Ray (for instance) as opposed to Symphony X (who i love), but has played a few times and consistently tours the U.S. I think the bottom line is that you have plenty of repeat bands that you can go after that have only played in the United States on 1 occasion (that being their previous PP show).

Also, I think your idea of extending the 2nd slot to 60 mins and bringing back the 4th slot to 75 mins. gives you many more options when it comes to booking headliners. For instance, a band like Vanden Plas can return for a 75 minute slot since they may not be considered a "true" headliner. Thus you would only have to worry about one true headliner for that particular night. Furthermore, there are dozens of great bands that could fill the second slot with a well deserved 60 minute set.

I pretty much agree with what everyone else has said thus far.

Repeats are unavoidable. I don't have an aversion to repeats, especially as I've come to appreciate nearly all of the bands that you've had play at Prog Power. Go for it!