Repeat Bands?

I posted a small book about this, and it got et by the Forum database changeover. :(

Oh, well, short answer: repeat bands are fine, repeat headliners are fine, as long as they're bringing something new to the table. I tend to agree with some who have posted that mid-list or low-list bands shouldn't repeat in a similar low slot....after all, there's a much larger mix of possibilities for those slots and no shortage of hungry and deserving bands to fill them.

I'm in favor of repeat bands - of all status. There hasn't been a PP performance that I wouldn't wish to see again, even the bands that I've passed on in previous years. Each of the bands that have played got on the roster for a reason, and I don't think those reasons disappear after one appearance.

I'm inclined to agree with Pellaz about the lower bands not repeating because there are plenty of quality bands that would love the opportunity to play. However, bands that have played those slots in the past would be, as you originally mentioned Glenn, great to play higher in the roster. I'm all for these bands returning, just a bit up in the roster (I thnk I just repeated myself...no pun intended)

So...uh... you get my vote!

As someone mentioned earlier in another thread ...

I am also fine with Pain of Salvation every other year.

As one of Glenn's favorite bands, we might have a pretty good chance for this to happen.

I would love to see them perform 'BE' live. Yes ...

Personally, I have no beefs with seeing returning bands at the festival, provided that there are sufficient reasons for them returning (i.e., new album, different setlist, etc.), especially if we're talking about bands that don't tour the U.S. It's really a matter of judgment. In my opinion, it would be better to go back more than two years to pick a returning band. Between the first three shows alone, there are about nine bands that haven't played the show since their first appearance, have released new material since said appearances, and would be more than welcome to return from a fan's standpoint. Just the same, I still think there are plenty of bands out there that would want to play this fest that have yet to do so, and though I do believe that it will be harder to fill the headlining slots with new bands in the coming years, the other slots shouldn't be hard to fill. Of course, there's always the possibility of branching out a little more to include hard rock bands a la Pink Cream 69 (whom I thought to hold their own very nicely) or even instrumental acts such as Planet X. No matter how you may experiment with the lineup, Glenn, I know that you'll find a happy medium between making yourself and the fans happy with a strong lineup. I haven't been let down yet.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Ripperjack said:
As I mentioned before the forum ate my post - I agree with Pellaz. 100% :headbang:

Haha, wish you'd saved what I wrote before The Crash. It was lengthy, totally correct in all respects, and indeed brilliant.

And if anyone doesn't think it was brilliant, meh. It's gone now so nobody can prove anything. :tickled:

Pellaz said:
I posted a small book about this, and it got et by the Forum database changeover. :(

Oh, well, short answer: repeat bands are fine, repeat headliners are fine, as long as they're bringing something new to the table. I tend to agree with some who have posted that mid-list or low-list bands shouldn't repeat in a similar low slot....after all, there's a much larger mix of possibilities for those slots and no shortage of hungry and deserving bands to fill them.

Yeah, I too had a nice long post with my thoughts on this once upon a time...and since I don't want to retype it all, I'll just agree with Pellaz here. My short version would have sounded exactly like his anyway.
:Smokin:

Yes, I too wrote such an eloquent, and quite lengthy, post that was so brilliant, it apparently shut down the forum. It was so massively brilliant, in scope and scale, that it, like a blackhole, sucked all other posts into it's void imploding the forum and rendering it useless.:Smug:

...ahem, bullshit!

I don't feel like being eloquent and would rather stick to succinct:
I love repeat bands. I want repeat bands. Please let bands repeat. After all, we've had so many REALLY GREAT bands already! Don't exclude them!
'nuff said from me.

i think i would prefer to see new bands for the most part even though i do love a number of the bands in prior years.... i always seem to find a new band i like every year that I had not seen or heard before.

Greykiller said:
If I were king, I would decree that repeat acts (especially headliners) must:
1. Have a new album out.
2. Have NOT been in the states in the last year or two--not just prog power but anything.
3. Have proven themselves to be kickass performers above and beyond the normal greatness of Prog Power bands.

;)

I wouldn't mind seeing htis as the rule of thumb.

As with the addition of any band to the roster, it depends on the band. First and foremost for any concert/festival/tour, I want good bands on the roster.

Unfortunately, "good" is completely subjective to each individual.

That being said, there have been so many quality bands at PP in the past. It would only make sense that the bands who have kicked our asses get a chance to do it again.

The thing is, I certainly wouldn't want a show mostly comprised of repeats. There are so many quality bands that haven't played PP before that I would think are indirectly losing a chance to play in favor of a band that has played before.

There is safety in a repeat band, I'll give it that. A band that has kicked ass in the past should deliver at least your money's worth (they've done it before, and can do it again).

I must finish by saying I am biased in my favor for repeat bands. I am a ProgPower newbie (VI was my first), therefore, some of the best bands that have played in the past, I've never seen live, so bring 'em on! :)

Glenn, you do a good job of booking cool bands and many are repeats. I have no problem with you booking some of the same bands as long as there are more new bands (to PP) than repeats.

Bryant

Is it as hard as it sounds trying to get a bands schedule to coincide with ProgPower? If so, then "repeaters," I guess, is inevitable.

But on another note, Metal is growing by leaps and bounds, with lots of new bands coming out of the woodwork - or bands finally getting recognition after already having one or two albums out. The more variation, the better - least I think so.

One thing's for sure: I wouldn't want to be a festival promoter because of all the variables that have to be taken into account. I'd quit before I ever got started.

Ok, somebody has given that child one too many cookies before bed!!!!

LOL

[I'm refering to the scary little girl on someone's sig from the first page]