Repeat Bands?

I think repeat bands are fine, you've sort of have kept it from being "overkill" by not allowing them to play two years in a row. By then, most of the bands usually do have a newer release to play songs from.

Silent Song said:
1. If they're worthy of an encore, by all means.

2. If not, let's see what other bands are waiting to be given a chance.

Silent Song: I do not wish to hijack Glenn's thread here, but I'm wondering how you like the new Riveside? I'd be interested in hearing your opinion.

I'm all for repeat bands! My first Prog Power experiance was PPIV, so I missed out on many of the bands that played before that. I can't tell you how happy I was to find out Edguy was playing PPV! I know you have a lot of fans who have been there since day one, but you also have many who came in later and missed out on earlier bands. Also, like an earlier poster mentioned, there have been bands that I was unfamilliar with that totally blew me away when I saw them that first time (Nightwish for example) and I'd like the opportunity to see them again now that I'm a big fan. I agree a return band should have a new album out since their last PP appearance but please do not exclude bands that have "toured" the US, but only hit a few cities. Where I live in Texas we never get to see any of those shows. I'm also all for seeing bands that are a little "outside the box" but have never/rarely played in the US before like PC69 last year. Having a killer melodic rock (Gotthard/Cornerstone), traditional metal (TNT/Europe/Pretty Maids) or 70's style blues rock (Joe Lynn Turner) act in the lineup adds a little diversity and some extra fun.

Harvester said:
Ok..I want as much input as possible in this thread on how you feel about repeat bands. I am not referring to who specifically you want to return, but how you feel in general about repeats. Do you want a completely new roster? Do you want repeat headliners if there aren't other new headliners available? Do you want repeat lower bands moved up into higher slots? Do you want lower slot repeats knowing there is no way they will move up in the overall roster?

Please remember that I do NOT WANT CHEERLEADING POSTS TO BRING BACK SOMEONE YOU SPECIFICALLY WANT TO SEE.

Glenn H.

I'm all for it providing we havent seen them a kagillion times already (read Symph X, Evergrey, POS etc - no offense, great bands) but more of the 3rd and lower bands would be cool for repeats; Silent Force, Mercenary, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Symphorce, Into Eternity, Threshold, etc.. I'd like to see more of them. Moving them up? Hell, after previous performances who wouldn't want a little more time of those bands? I know I would.

All new lineups I'm all for as well, why the hell not, this past year was damn close and it was GREAT!

Harvester said:
Ok..I want as much input as possible in this thread on how you feel about repeat bands. I am not referring to who specifically you want to return, but how you feel in general about repeats. Do you want a completely new roster? Do you want repeat headliners if there aren't other new headliners available? Do you want repeat lower bands moved up into higher slots? Do you want lower slot repeats knowing there is no way they will move up in the overall roster?

Please remember that I do NOT WANT CHEERLEADING POSTS TO BRING BACK SOMEONE YOU SPECIFICALLY WANT TO SEE.

Glenn H.

Well Glen I don't mind repeat bands as long as they are not a well established band in the states that now does regular touring.....

Examples : Into Eternity ( toured many times this year), Symphony X ( Did a tour with Devin townsend, queensryche, and Gigan) , Evergrey (toured with arch enemy/hate eternal and another with iced earth, Edguy ( just recently toured with hammerfall), ect.....

Those bands have big enough followings to do regular tours in the U.S. I think. I say you give the the lesser known bands who aren't as established the repeat slot.

Riceloft said:
Returning Headliners - sure.

Returning lower bands moved up - sure.

Returning lower bands not moved up - nah.

this sounds about right to me.

also returning middle bands who deserve headline status. And there have certainly been a few I can think of.

:D

In past years, I've usually skipped the sets performed by repeat bands; therefore, personally, I think that no more than two repeat bands per year is plenty. Contrary to popular belief, there will always be plenty of headliners to go around, for as long as the festival remains alive -- especially if the new single-headliner format is instituted.

Also, repeats should get no lower than a #3 slot, considering their previous PPUSA exposure. There are FAR too many new and struggling bands out there to justify giving the opening slots to repeat bands.

I'd also cast a vote for not bringing back bands that have toured the US extensively since their last show.

a band like Zero Hour just doesn't have the stage presence to be anything above a slot 1 or 2 band. However, they have put out a bunch of new material since they were last at PP, and they definately sound great live. So using that example, they would be a good repeat.

I'd like to offer a dissenting opinion here... If Zero Hour were to return, it would be their third appearance at ProgPower USA. If they couldn't score at least a #3 slot on their third time, then they shouldn't be considered at all.

Zero Hour aside... I've seen the way a ProgPower appearance singlehandedly propels bands from relative mediocrity into the eyes of the american metal scene. If any band can't pull at least a #3 slot after that kind of exposure, then I don't think they're a big enough draw to be considered for a repeat performance at all. (I suppose the only exception I can think of is if a band played the first ProgPower USA... that was a much smaller audience, and more of a "trial run").

I think that to bring repeated bands will not harm the festival if the band is consider huge in the power/progressive genre. I have gone many times to see Dream Theater here in Orlando for example. But everytime they come down it's enjoyable to see them live. Now I am not a huge fan of them however because the fall in the category of progressive metal and because they are consider a huge band in this type of genre. I would pay to see them again. If you can consider HELLOWEEN to headline and provide a B list roster (example Dragonforce etc.)for the rest of the festival. I can almost assure you that next year festival will be successful as the previous.

Ever the contrarian...

My preference is for something completely new and different every year - always giving an opportunity to new bands. There are plenty of new bands coming out all the time if your goal is to make it some kind of new artist showcase type thing. The new band doesn't even have to be a new band. It could be an older band that just hasn't been able to make it before.

The risk you take with a every-year-something-new approach is finding the right mix for your audience and venue. In order to at least break even, you're stuck picking bands big enough and known enough to draw the crowd. At the same time - you have offer something fairly different from the offerings of your competitors to make it attractive enough to convince a thousand or so people to travel across the country or world instead of just staying home and watching them at their local club. So the choices are inherently limited.

You have to pick bands at the right level of success. You can get bands on the way up - as you had done in the past with Evergrey. You could also get bands on the way down - for a band like Fates Warning the possibility / probability of making another tour is probably slim - ProgPower might be the right space in the market for them now - like Stratovarius this year.

Your audience regularly makes its preference known to you. It doesn't take too much work reading the threads where people propose lineups for future festivals to see an overwhelming tendency for people to want their favorite bands to keep coming back. In addition, this thread makes it clear that an implicit goal of your efforts should be (as expressed by the values of the fans) to promote the bands into higher slots as the fanbase perceives to be warranted.

My guess is that you'll be best off sticking with a "simple" formula of a couple of new bands from sponsoring labels like Sensory and InsideOut (Stride and Circus Maximus were outstanding choices this year) + a couple of never played before well-known bands (Stratovarius was a great choice) even if they are on a club tour (Therion was an excellent selection) + a couple of bankable repeats (Angra and Kamelot and Symphony X are always general crowd pleasers) slotted correctly + a completely out of the blue off-topic band just for fun (I loved PC69 for this year) + insane attempts to talk people into reunions (WoMD and Conception). It seems to be working; though I have no clue how hard it is to do that.

I think you've established a loyal enough fanbase to take more risks, but this audience tends to be fickle - you have to exercise some prudence. So while I'd rather not have repeats, it wouldn't be me losing my shirt with a new lineup every year arrangement. Use your best judgment. It's gotten you this far.

Joe

IMO, repeat bands are fine for several reasons:

1. There are those of us that have been to only a couple of festivals, some people none at all.
2. Low caliber bands developing into headlining bands.
3. There are a few bands that are just flat out good enough to come back! I won't bore you with a list either, but I will use an example. WMD becoming a full-blown SAVATAGE showing someday! I had to say it...I couldn't resist!

The bottom line is, most of us don't get to see these type of bands much to begin with, so a weekend of them repeat or no repeat is darn cool!

I don't mind repeats if they're worthy, but I like the idea of seeing brand new bands, too. I like the guideline that they not be repeated from the previous year, however....unless it's similar to Dreamscape where they headlined the pre-party.

As mentioned by others before, this year was my first PP so I would like to see some of the bands that have played before since I have now discovered them from this board and this fest.

I would like to see the US of A be represented more, maybe at least at the pre-party. There are plenty of up and coming US bands that can't tour here either...

I think Dragonforce should totally play Progpower.. as far as repeats, I've been to only one Progpower, this past one, so I don't mind if you wanna throw in Nightwish (err..?), BLIND GUARDIAN, Edguy, Stratovarius, etc! :D :D It's okay for me.. but.... I still say if not Rhapsody...... get Luca Turilli. *teehee*

I want the bands I like to repeat, and the ones I don't like to not repeat :D.

But seriously, I do like to see more new bands than repeat bands, but of course, that number of new bands dwindels with every successive fest. I say at most, as much as you can help it, I would like a ratio of 40% repeat, 60% new. Although I'd rather see an awesome repeat than a so so new band.

I still have tons of first timers that I want to see, but I can understand a few repeats every year. I don't think we've quite got to the point where there has to be a large number of repeats, but perhaps that day is coming a few years down the road.

Britt