Rockstar - Supernova revisited

Harvester said:
That was an amazing moment and the best TV performance since Bo's "In a Dream" from AI. I had chills. I believe that version could be a hit on radio today.

Go to http://rockstar.msn.com/ and click on "rockers" near the bottom left. Scan across the page to Ryan's picture and click "latest performance" from his menu.

I agree Glenn. Bo didn't quite sound as good as Ray does on that song, but he did a darned good job nevertheless! I'm glad to see there's another Badlands fan on here though! I noticed you had The Last Time playing over the house speakers during set up last year. :kickass:

I honestly believe that the only reason they're keeping Zayra around is mainly for ratings. A few weeks ago Brooke Burke said that Zayra's fiascos are the most downloaded thing from the show. Plus Gilby said last night that they want to see what she does next, which tells me she's there for ratings. That's just my opinion though. She sucks period and needs to go home for sure!

I was not blown away by the Losing my Religion song either. It was good but not awesome for me. I dont care for Toby much, just doesn't do anything for me. Zayra can go. Jill can DEFINITELY go. Josh, although I liked Sangria, doesn't ever do anything but a copy of the original song. Bubye. Lukas...eh. He has stage moves. I have grown to really like Storm and last night cemented her appeal for me. I love Dilana. I think she has a unique approach, unique voice and can actually sing. She gets my vote.

I wish they would allow these people to choose from better songs. im tired of Nirvana. I would also like it if more singers actually put some thought behind the arrangements and not just do a carbon copy of the original song. Boring. Whats the point if you aren't going to put their own stamp on the songs?

I still like it when the 'band' rips into the contestants when the suck though. :)

I agree about song selection Joel. IMO, Supernova should have chosen the possible songs that they can sing. Supernova is not going to do a song like 867-5309/Jenny ... ever. So why have it in there? And I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that a Nirvana song has been up there every week.

As for changing arrangements, its annoying when they do. If you watch the Web-episodes, these people go in there, the band has already learned the actual song, then they want the band to change things around. The ones that do this, just don't do it all that well. Zayra does it every time, she says she has a 'producer mind', but she isn't making it into something she can sing to.

Lukas had the Rolling Stones song... sound more like the Cure. It was alright... but it just wasn't the same. Frankly, though, if I was on the show, no matter what my song was I'd tell the house band, "play this song how you think Supernova would cover it."

Also the people now know what Spernova plans to sound like. Last week the Band visited them, and they listened to some of the tracks. From what I could hear, it sounds pretty good.

Cheiron said:
I
As for changing arrangements, its annoying when they do.

Also the people now know what Spernova plans to sound like. Last week the Band visited them, and they listened to some of the tracks. From what I could hear, it sounds pretty good.

Well, what I meant was that by changing the song to fit your particular vocal style and range you will give Supernova a better feeling as to what they can expect on their own stuff. Im pretty sure these guys can appreciate something different, even if their agenda is to sell records.
Take Dilana for instance. She totally changes almost all her songs to fit her unique style. She knows where she is comfortable in style, range and attitude. Ring of Fire was AWESOME and a perfect example of a singer who knows what she is good at. Not all of them know what they are good at.

From what I could tell Supernova has some rock n roll vibe to their sound. Most likely mixed with some modern influences. Should be 'interesting' to hear whomever they choose, at least.

Also, to answer some of the rigged theories...its a competition. Who decides the winner? The band and their label. They will choose womever they WANT to win. The album is pretty much done, musically. I think they may start recording the final 2-3 before the show really ends to get a jump start...recording vocals in 4-6 weeks? Should be pretty doable with enough time to mix and master.

I was a little disappointed with Dana's departure tonight. I know she doesn't fit with Supernova, but she has an excellent voice and a great attitude. I wanted to hear her sing a few more times on the show. Btw, how the hell is Z still on this show? Yes, she's hot, but her voice is horrible. She wasn't even in the bottom 3 tonight. :rolleyes:

Imagikafan said:
I was a little disappointed with Dana's departure tonight. I know she doesn't fit with Supernova, but she has an excellent voice and a great attitude. I wanted to hear her sing a few more times on the show. Btw, how the hell is Z still on this show? Yes, she's hot, but her voice is horrible. She wasn't even in the bottom 3 tonight. :rolleyes:

Ratings....strictly ratings. I don't think she's hot at all to be honest. I've seen 2X4's have more curves than that girl! :lol:

Dana had one of the best voices on the show. She could sing any style. But really, she didn't want to be in the band anyhow. She would have been forced to sing songs that she really wouldn't enjoy.

Cheiron said:
Dana had one of the best voices on the show. She could sing any style. But really, she didn't want to be in the band anyhow. She would have been forced to sing songs that she really wouldn't enjoy.

I liked Dana too, but she doesn't fit that band. Actually most of them don't, so I think that's the problem.

Jill redeemed herself with me by nailing Heart's "Alone". She actually didn't oversing something for once.

Someone on another board brought up too good of a point about Ryan's Losing My Religion. Tori Amos does a cover of that song that was way too similar to how her performed it down to hitting the piano at that same exact point. Still, it was good, but he's blown all of the rock songs he's been given. The gave him props for I Alone and I thought it was pretty bad. Plus he always looks like he's in pain while he sings whether the song calls for it or not.

edgeofthorns said:
I liked Dana too, but she doesn't fit that band. Actually most of them don't, so I think that's the problem.

Jill redeemed herself with me by nailing Heart's "Alone". She actually didn't oversing something for once.

I agree totally. We see Jill every year on the the TSO tour and she's awesome. She's more in her element, more like the songs she sings when she's constantly redeeming herself everytime she gets in the bottom three.

I don't think any of them fit the band either.

Thorn23TX said:
I admit that I haven't been a fan of Ryan Star because everytime I hear his name I think about the girl from the first season of American Idol also named Ryan Starr. To me he's been average at best up until last night... I was completely surprised.

Performances aside, the best moment of the show was when the guys offered to bring Magni's wife and new baby over from Iceland...

Best of the night (and will get the encore): Ryan
Good: Magni, Storm, Dilana
So-So: Josh, Dana, Toby, Patrice
Bottom Three: Zayra, Jill, Lukas

I've always wondered what it'd be like to quote yourself... :loco:

So, as you can see, I clearly am not the prognosticator of prognosticators (that title is reserved for Punxsutawney Phil anyway.) I only got one out of the bottom three correct although I SHOULD have been 100% accurate. I seriously cannot fathom why Zayra was not voted into the bottom three... there must be an underground campain à la vote for the worst.com keeping her alive. Her voice grates on me like fingernails on a chalk board. :yuk:

I understand the ratings thing but c'moooooonnnnnnnnnnn... :puke:

I've been watching and I actually like the show, if it wasn't for Gilby saying that one dude sucked got me to keep watching it. Here's my 2 cents.

In my opinion Lucas & Dilana are the ones to beat followed by Storm and Patrice. :headbang::kickass:

Lucas has had 1 bad night, like his vocals or not, he is the total package. With the exception of this week he's owned the stage when he's set foot on it. The only reason I say Lucas is the man to beat overall is cos he has the swagger and attitude that makes up for any lack of range he has. This man could very well be the next gen "showman" ie; Roth, Stanley, Jagger. Why wasnt he in the bottom 3 after delivering a bad performance? Because he has all the fans. In simpler terms if you go see Evergrey 5 nights in a row and they're off 1 night, do you condemn them to hell for all eternity? No. They're human.

Dilana is the same. It's like she hypnotizes the crowd. Not 1 lackluster performance from her yet. She is the gal to beat in the group.

Storm only had 1 off night and it was only the ending of the Cheap Trick song... too brodway was the perfect description of it. If it wasn't for that I'd say she wasa dead tie with Dilana in the best of the gals.

Patrice in my opinion has the best voice of all that's left. She is starting to tweak herself and push herself more and that will make her a mainstay. Why she was in the bottom 3 again this week and Zayra, Lucas or Aussie boy wasn't is just becuase you have people voting on looks rather than talent during this as well, there's no way around it. Everyone was shocked she was in the bottom 3. Why they let Jill sit down before her is a mystery to me.

The only thing that saved Jill was Heart. Jill drops the ball way too much and I would have sent her packing over Dana in a heartbeat.

Dana has grown vbery much. Sure, she may be too young to pull off the gig, but she's been solid 3 running weeks where Jill hasn't, I would have kept her around to see more of the transformation.

Josh does not belong on this show. He's bringing a wrong vocal style and performance to this band. Sure he's talented, as everyone is in their own way at this point, but Supernova he is not.

Same thing with Magni. Sure he sings great, but can you picture this guy fronting that band? I can't.

I will put Toby in this category as well. Vocals are ok, sure the chicks dig him, but they dig Lucas too and Lucas will win out over an accent any day. This guy brings nothing else to the table performance wise other than being "mostly" consistent in the competition.

Ryan. Great performance. I don't see him in this band. I see him as becoming another Springsteen, Squier or someone along those lines. I don't think he's edgy enough to make the final cut. Also he's hit and miss too much in his weekly performances. One great performance won't save him in the long run.

And last but not least in my book is the sexy Zayra. Voice? Not bad, in fact pretty damn good. Easy on they eyes? hell yes. But a square peg does not fit in a round hole. She shakes it up every time she hits the stage. She raises the bar in a different way with shock value and that is something the band is looking at. Can she front this band? No. But she is showing other people another aspect you must bring to the competition.

Now that they will actually have to write lyrics for a Supernova song I think you will see the top 4 I mentioned stay there as they have the most experience in writing material.

Joel-RZ said:
Boy I couldn't disagree with you more on this one comment. blech. Aweful vocals. Cringe inducing for me. Oh well. :)

I agree with you Joel. Patrice is horrible. I thought that Jill did a really good version of Heart last night but her song selection and the way she arranged some of the other songs to go heavy really backfired for her, sometimes with these clowns, its damned if you do and damned if you dont.

There is something about Dilana that I love, not sure what it is, maybe her free spirit....

I really havent got a clue to what these guys are looking for. I dont see any band with Gilby Clarke doing anything super Heavy!! He is a freaking blues guitarist, and to me not that good either...

My three cents

Bear

They had to write songs one week for supernova, but they did it in groups of 4. Will be interesting to see how well it goes when they do it solo.

I haven't watched every episode of this, but when I do catch it ~ Dilana is the ONLY one that truly makes me sit and watch...

I absolutely love everything about her ~ she's got that Steve Nicks type voice with even more balls but from what I have seen, she can stand in front of those 3 and hold her own..

And that's my two fer..