Rockstar - Supernova

Spruce Goose

Then Goose me up woman!
Apr 17, 2001
Sydney
scholar.uws.edu.au~13326874
Anyone???

I think Dilana has a killer voice. Easily the best female of the lot. Man, that raspiness sounds tops. She was great on Time after Time last week and Can't get enough of your love this week. I think Ryan Starr absolutely wiped the floor with everyone last night with his piano rendition of Losing My Religion. That was the best performance I have seen on the show from both seasons so far. Did ya see it? Just himself singing and playing piano. Voice was outstanding. He will definately get the encore performance tonight so tune in if you missed it. Other than those 2, the rest are a bit hit and miss. Jill and Storm are both pretty good (in more ways than 1
biggrin_new.gif
). Tobey the Aussie is ok but I can't stand Zayra (?) or that other weird looking guy who did the hole song last night. Tommy Lee rocked the house on the drums last night with Higher Ground but the house drummer is just freakin awesome! Infact, the whole house band is always really tight

:erk:
If you wish you could be bothered to watch it, you should just watch it.
If you can't be bothered to watch it, then you shouldn't wish that you could be. Just be content that you chose not to watch it.

I should, but I won't. Isn't it on like three times a week? Plus it was clashing with other things I watch (I think?), and being on Pay I would always forget etc. I just decided not to bother.

I loved reading about what one guy that got booted had to say about the song that will be the first single though, and about how he feels the band have no commitment etc.

All you really need to watch to 'get' the show is the Wednesday night performance show. That is basically the equivelant to the Sunday night Idol performance shows. It goes like this:

Tuesday 8:30 - Behind the scenes (Idol Extra)
Wednesday 8:30 - Performance Show (Idol Sundays)
Thursday 8:30 - Get the fuck outta here show (Idol Monday 'The journey has come to an end for ....... show)

So if you just wanna see the singers sing, watch Wednesday. It's pretty much all I watch and gives me all that I need to have a good Rockstar experience. It's good cause the 3 dudes (Gilby, Jason and Tommy) all take turns at getting up and jamming with 1 singer each week.... But really, the house band smokes so it's not that great.

Either way, it shits on Idol as far as talent (band and singers/musicians) goes.

Indeed, and they are singing better songs too. I enjoyed what I saw of Rockstar INXS, but never got into either for some reason. Maybe I will give it a go next week.

No doubt I will get sucked into Idol again this year, more because it is easier to watch than not to a lot of the time. That, and we all like being arm chair critics.

About time someone started this thread! I agree: Ryan was fucking AWESOME last night. It's going to take something special to top that. Lukas was shit, Jill was boring and Zayara is just fucking weird. Toby usually does OK but I think "Penny Royal Tea" was a bad choice. Magni was great, Dana is getting better but she's way too young and even Josh was good last night. I think either Jill or Patrice will go this week. What I like about the show is that it comes down to Tommy, Gilby and Jason, so you know the worst one is going to go instead of the best like what happens sometimes on Idol. This shits all over any similar show I've ever seen. These people are fucking driven. Coolest part last night? Tommy telling Magni they would fly his family out from Iceland to be with him.

Dave Navarro is one of the coolest guys ever.

Coolest part of the show last night was after Zayara's performance when they cut to the band for comments and dave goes

"I'm going to need a minute to just process what the hell I just saw"
and Tommy chimes in:
"yeah, I'm going to need about 6 minutes"

Zayra: Easily the most gorgeous woman on the show - she is absolutely stunning but her voice is awful. I am suprised she has lasted this long and I am yet to be really impressed by her.

Dana: Too poppy and it is real obvious she is not right for the band. I think she will be the next to go.

Dilana: Not sure what to think of Dilana. At times she really impresses me (ie: Zombie) but other times she hasn't really done that much for me (ie. Time After Time, Can't Get Enough). Has the best odds out of the women to be the frontwoman.

Jill: I cannot stand her! From day 1 I haven't liked her. Every song she oversings and just generally over does it. Makes me cringe most times I see her.

Storm Large: Again, she is ok but her voice to me isn't overly impressive. Her stage presence comes off as too arrogant (i know you have to be arrogant but she just makes me look forward to the day she is eliminated). 'Changes' was one of her worst performances.

Magni. At first I wasn't too impressed with Magni but as the show goes on he has done some really good tunes (ie: STP, Heroes). But last night was a rather boring performance and lets face it - you can't rock with a Coldplay song.

Patrice: Voice is too nasally. Not a fan of her stage performance and from general interaction in the house with other contestants she comes off as a real bitch. I was embarrased watching her performance of 'Remedy' .

Toby: Had a few good weeks but has been rather unimpressive of late. His performance of 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door' and 'Somebody Told Me' were great but 'Runaway Train' and 'White Wedding' he seemed a little off. Was better with 'Penny royal Tea'

Lukas: Was my personal favourite to win from day 1 with his awesome performances of 'Rebel Yell' and 'Bittersweet Symphony' but has struggled with the Coldplay song and 'Celebrity Skin'.

Ryan: I really liked his version of 'Iris' but I wasn't sure if seemed comfortable up on stage. Did really well with 'I Alone' and swept the fuckin' floor last night with the best version of 'Losing My Religion' I have ever heard.

I don't have Foxtel so I've been checking it out online, they have excerpts from all of the performances and other bits and pieces so it's pretty cool. I have considered getting Foxtel just to watch it, it is very addictive and craps all over Australian Idol and every other shitty 'reality' TV show.

I think Dilana is cool, Lukas is an egotistical little twat with an ordinary voice and Zhayra is just plain terrible. She looks good but I don't understand how she has lasted this long!

Ah it's always so easy to take the piss out of other people isn't it? I have been taking singing lessons for the last year and whether I like their voices or performances or not, I have to say I admire all of them for giving it a go as I'm starting to realise just how difficult it is to be a good, consistent singer (not there yet myself, but making progress every week). On any day it's easy to sing badly, even if on previous days you sounded good, even with the same song! So I respect them all for having the ability to get into the show and to give it a shot.

Goreripper said:
Yay. Josh and Jill are gone. Josh was making me angry bobbing his head all the time. He looked like a puppet or something.

Agreed. Josh was pissing me off big time with that move. Jill oversang everything and was not suitable from the get go. Stupid plastic bitch!

Ryan and Magni are my current favourites although I would like to see a better stage presence from Ryan. I would like to see Patrice, Zayra and Storm go next.

Anyone see the half hour episode last night?
Man, Tobey made a dick of himself getting plastered and talling Jason Newstead all about how hammered he was at 10:30... Jason didn't look too impressed at all!

Some pretty cool & some not so cool songs sung to be sung tonight on the acoustic special...

Solsbury Hill, In the Air Tonight, Cats in the Craddle, I will Survive, plus Z is doing an original ........

I hope that's available on the online episodes.... I very nearly considered getting Foxtel with one of their special offers they have on at the moment, just to watch Supernova. Problem is I wouldn't watch it for the whole year you have to sign up for... either that or I would watch it too much and get nothing else done!

I knew I'd seen Toby before somewhere, he's from a Melbourne band called Juke Kartel. I saw them play on a local stage between sets at Taste of Chaos and I remember thinking they were pretty good and he was a strong vocalist, something which seems pretty hard to find here in Melbourne!