Rush

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
I just got back into my Rush addiction. I caught the new documentary RUSH- Beyond the lighted stage on VH1 Classic last night TWICE! It is going to be released on DVD and Blue Ray this Tuesday, June 29th. Best Buy is offering a great deal for $19.99 (DVD and T-Shirt). I know that a lot of you are Rush fans so I have two questions:

1. Did you see the documentary Rush- Beyond The Lighted Stage? If so what did you think? If not are you planning to?

2. What in your personal opinion are the top 3 Rush albums.

Here are my answers.

1. Yes, and I thought it was great. Lots of in depth behind the scenes stuff. Thought the stuff about "Hemispheres" was very interesting!

2. This one took me awhile. I actually had to look through the cd's to remember exactly what songs were on which just to prevent error.

"2112"- First album I heard by the band and bought. Holds a very special place in my heart. That whole first side...ah well.. do I need to say any more??
"Permanent Waves"- This was closely tied with "Moving Pictures". But "Permanent Waves" contains the two songs that really got me into Rush after the 2112 overture, which were "The Spirit Of Radio" and "Freewill".
"Moving Pictures"- Is it necessary to comment?

Honorable Mentions/ Close calls:

1. Hemispheres
2. Counterparts
3. Vaportrails

1. Did you see the documentary Rush- Beyond The Lighted Stage? If so what did you think? If not are you planning to?

2. What in your personal opinion are the top 3 Rush albums.

1) Nope, but I'll be hitting Best Buy Before work on Tuesday. This is a MUST buy for me. Will watch it probably after I get home from work Tues night, Wed. morning.

2) I'm more of an old school Rush fan so my top 3 are (in order):
Hemispheres
A Farewell To Kings

Honorable mentions to Fly By Night & Permanent Waves

Side Comments:
Vapor trails mix sucked ass, and totally ruined any enjoyment of listening to the tracks. Snakes & Arrows is so Soul-less to these ears, that I doubt I'll be buying anything from them in the future without hearing it first. Last good "modern era" album they did was Counterparts. IMHFO, anyway.....:devil:

Yes, I have it ordered so maybe I'll get a chance to see it next weekend. For me it would be:

1. HEMISPHERES
2. 2112
3. GRACE UNDER PRESSURE

Hard to choose when it gets past the first two though, as I'm about equally into SIGNALS, CARESS OF STEEL, MOVING PICTURES, AFTK and POWER WINDOWS depending on mood...

It seems to me that in talking to alot of folks about their favorite RUSH albums that "2112" and "Hemispheres" are the most mentioned with "Moving Pictures" VERY close behind. I agree most of the time.

1. yes, i saw it and will be buying the DVD on tuesday.
2 My top Rush albums (myself being nearly 37 i came in around 1980-era Rush)
so these are my favorite having the most impact in my life.
- Moving Pictures
- Signals
- Permanent Waves

then naturally...2112, Hemispheres and Farewell (which they didn't talk about much in the film i noticed)

1. Not yet but plan on getting the Blu-Ray fairly soon.

2. I only got into them recently, but if I were to pick I would say...

1. 2112

2. Hemispheres

3. Moving Pictures

Unlike most, one of my favorites actually is Snakes and Arrows. It could just be that I only got into them recently, and that album is actually what got me turned onto them as when I was working at FYE, we were playing it a lot.

1. Saw the documentary last night and it was quite interesting, especially the Hemispheres stuff. Rush to me died after Moving Pictures, actually Permanent Waves was the last great disc as Moving Pictures had them going the more commercial route.
2. 2112, Caress of Steel, Fly By Night and Hemispheres were all great discs with A Farewell to Kings & Permanent Waves running close behind. The whole 70's Era Rush was untouchable!

Do not have all of them, but I do have everything from the 90's on and their 3 discs Best-of plus Power Windows and 2112. For me:

3. Power Windows (love the AOR of it)
2. Snake and Arrows
1. Counterparts (marvelous)

Haven't seen the documentary yet, but I'll be getting it. (I need to re-check; I have this feeling that I pre-ordered it....)

Favorite three Rush albums? VERY tough, as I've been a fan for many years and have seen them on every tour since Signals, inclusive.

1. Moving Pictures
2. Hemispheres
3. Counterparts
4. (tie) 2112, Permanent Waves, Signals, Power Windows, Grace Under Pressure, AFtK, Fly By Night....... almost everything else.

The CDs I'd downrank would be the S/T (no Neil), Vapor Trails (terrible production), Roll the Bones (a fact's a fact from Rome to Nome, boyeee :rolleyes: ) and that's probably about it.

I missed the first hour on VH1 the other day, but saw the rest of it; I'll eventually catch the rest.

I'm not sure I have any one favorite *album*, let alone three - I grew up listening to Rush on the radio (I lived about 3 hours from Toronto in Rochester, so they have always been a staple of rock radio there) and most of my taste for them has been formulated by the singles. That said, Roll The Bones and Moving Pictures are probably the two I listen to most.

I am a heretic who does NOT enjoy the squealy old days of 2112. Yarg.

1. Yes. Saw it, loved it, even talked to Sam Dunn when I met him last week about the film my only gripe with it. All my other thoughts on the film can be read in the thread dedicated to the film, wherever that has disappeared to.

2. Favorite albums...
Farewell to Kings
- "To stand within the Pleasure Dome, decreed by Kubla Kahn..." Need I say more?
Roll the Bones- Yes, I said it. Before anyone gives me any crap for MY OPINION, listen to "Dreamline", "Bravado", and "Heresy", then fornicate yourself. :devil:
Counterparts- First Rush album I heard. First Rush album I bought. Holds a special place with me.

My favorite Rush to listen to is Different Stages. Such an amazing live album.

My favorite Rush song, next to "Xanadu" is one from Presto called "The Pass"...

(a fact's a fact from Rome to Nome, boyeee :rolleyes: )
Yes, I will say those 45 seconds were the biggest mistake of Rush's career, but if you FF that section, the song is actually very enjoyable.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was lucky enough to see the documentary at the Tribeca Film Festival, and it was great to hear the organizers talk about how well the movie had gone over not only with RUSH fans but also with festival attendees in general. The DVD will be in my hands tomorrow. :D I thought it was well done and I loved the celebrity commentary. It was also really funny to hear audience members shout out the correct pronunciation of "Peart" whenever anyone pronounced it like the word "hurt." (According to the Professor himself, it's pronounced like the word "hear.") I also love the commeraderie between the band members, and Big Al is the funniest person in the world. :lol:

As for my three fave RUSH CDs, this is tougher than it sounds. I usually rank everything from 2112 up through Signals as their best and most creative material, but if I had to pick three favorites, they'd be:
1. Hemispheres (the title track is probably the greatest song ever, IMHO)
2. Moving Pictures (as strong today as it was 30 years ago)
3. Counterparts & Grace Under Pressure (tie)

My $0.02.

~C

Love Rush, and in particular, the 80's stuff.

My top 3:
1. MOVING PICTURES - pretty much a perfect slab of music in my opinion.
2. POWER WINDOWS- great timepiece for what was happening in music with that "Rush flavor". I still love cranking this up in the car!
3. ROLL THE BONES - Highly underrated disc in many circles. This, to me, is Rush cutting loose and having fun. Also, this was a great tour!

Of course, if you were to ask me next week, I'd probably have a totally different top 3!

I haven't seen the doc yet, but plan to buy a copy.

My top 3 are...

1. Hold Your Fire - I know I'll be the only one to pick this one, but it was my first Rush album so it has a special place in my heart.
2. Moving Pictures - Is there any doubt this is their best work?
3. 2112 - Old and screechy and epic.

1. I saw bit s and pieces of the documentary and found it to be a very insightful look at the band. I can't wait to see the whole thing including footage that wasn't shown on VH1.

2. I've been a big fan of the band since 2112 but still tend to love the middle era of the band over the early works.

That said, my favorites are
1. Hold Your Fire
2. Hemispheres
3. Moving Pictures

My favorite Live albums are:

1. A Show Of Hands
2. All The Worlds A Stage
3. Exit...Stage Left

Loved the documentary. Saw it in the theater with fellow Rush fans and had a blast. It's one of the best music documentaries ever made and a triumph for Sam Dunn and Scot McFadyen. I am looking forward to seeing again on DVD with all the extra footage.

I am old school fan of Rush. While I still buy many of their newer albums, the golden age was definitely the '70's and early '80's. So my three favorites are
1. 2112
2. Hemispheres
3. Moving Pictures

Runner ups are Fly By Night, A Farewell To Kings, Permanent Waves, and Signals.

Saw the documentary twice and will have the DVD tomorrow. Very well done!

I've been a huge fan of the band since the Self Titled debut. Geddy is a huge influence on me as a bass player.

1. Hemispheres - The peak of this phase of the band
2. 2112 - Burned out two 8 Tracks of this puppy
3. Caress Of Steel (Hence the avatar) - "The Necromancer" anyone?
4. Moving pictures - As someone else said, as good today as it was 30 years ago.

Pellaz, Vapor Trails was not really bad production. It's the fact that the jackass who mastered it absolutely brickwall limited it to the extreme. Every track on that cd is flat topped which killed any semblance of dynamics. Then again it's part of the loudness wars that continue to this day. Maybe we should all go back to vinyl so that kind of mastering goes the way of the dodo.

Pellaz, Vapor Trails was not really bad production. It's the fact that the jackass who mastered it absolutely brickwall limited it to the extreme.

Yeah, actually when I was typing that I thought "err, mastering would actually be more accurate"....but someone else had already mentioned the "production" in the thread and I let it go.

1.) Yes, and it may be the best rock music documentary I've ever seen. I was seriously engrossed in it.

2.) The ones I reach for the most are A Farewell to Kings, Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves - when I'm not spinning Chronicles, that is. ;) Counterparts and Hemispheres could really be on that list, as well.