So Tate is out of 'Ryche

While I do think he's telling the truth as he sees it, I think there might also be some self delusion going on here as well with him, that he's not seeing everything. What does seem obvious to me from this interview is that the rest of the group doesn't feel like they can talk to him for whatever reason.

but they have a shot at getting back all the fans that left because they sucked for so long.

You are making a big assumption that their arena sized fanbase who aren't fans anymore are even aware of this situation or even know they were still a band.

QR / Rising West realistically aren't going to play shows any bigger than what Tate'Ryche has been playing in recent years. I am not saying that's a reason for those involved to not continue.

Overall though, I agree with your assessment of the interview. He was very professional but the "conflict of interest" is the big forest through the trees in these conversations.

I agree w/ Jasonic. Most people I know who remember Queensryche ("regular" people...not real music fans) think they haven't done anything since "Silent Lucidity"...that makes up the majority of who made them a Platinum selling band...not us.

IMO, Queensryche will never play in front of the crowds they did in 1990, be it with or without Tate. Their days in the sun are long over. Most of their "fans" from the 80s probably don't even know they're still around.

IMO, Queensryche will never play in front of the crowds they did in 1990, be it with or without Tate. Their days in the sun are long over. Most of their "fans" from the 80s probably don't even know they're still around.

Well that's an absolute guarantee! The musical culture would have to make a complete 180 in the US for this to happen, in the very best of circumstances. I remember seeing them headline at the Palace in metro Detroit, in front of probably 17,000 people or more. If they can draw 10% of that now I 'd be pretty impressed.

Still hoping for the best, but knowing full well that "the best" is a good album and a few small theater gigs within driving distance.

That said, I cannot help but believe there is a lot of bullshit in that interview that covers his ass as well. With his entire family involved in the business operations, there is a huge conflict of interest going on. Perhaps the other guys were willing to pay an additional 5% of the merch just to get control away from his wife (and ultimately Geoff)?

My first thought was that having that much family running the merch business opens it wide up for potential fraud. If the other guys smelled something fishy, the safest plan would be to put control into the hands of a reputable third party company, where finances would be cleanly disclosed.

I cannot begin to guess at Geoff's knowledge (or lack thereof) regarding such events, but I would bet something was amiss.....

You are making a big assumption that their arena sized fanbase who aren't fans anymore are even aware of this situation or even know they were still a band..

Oh hell no...you made that assumption on my comment. I'm referring to those in our community/circles that haven't given a shit about the band in 20 years vs. those that still care.

On the flip slide since you brought it up...I wonder how many people said that Journey would never play before crowds again after Perry left.....

http://www.billboard.com/features/t...eatures/top-25-tours-of-2011-1005641362.story

Queensryche was never as big as Journey. Journey has a dozen radio staples and several Platinum+ albums. Queensryche has one hit single.

IMO, Queensryche will never achieve anything of note without Geoff Tate...for better or worse, he was the one who kept them going.

As a concession, I went to YouTube and listened to LaTorre's karaoke versions of Queensryche songs. My synopsis:

- the dude can sing
- he's pretty much nailing the notes
- he sounds like a tribute band singer...good but obviously being someone else
- to me, he's like Arnel for Journey...obviously talented, but something about his delivery is not sitting right with me...Tate had originality and intensity...LaTorre has neither.

Then, I listened to LaTorre & Rising West live doing " Walk In The Shadows"...

Wow...that was really not good. He was flat on a large part of it, the backing vocals are out of key...the only good thing about it was the band playing the music. I kinda felt sorry for him...maybe he could not hear on stage or something.

I know it's YouTube, fanshot, etc.

But by contrast, I listened to Tate solo from June 7 doing "Jet City Woman" and "Eyes Of A Stranger"...fan shot, YouTube, etc...he nailed it...still the man.

Two shows and thats what your giving Todd? Really...Well maybe after he sings with them for a while.. I think he is doing a good job but I will not comment on it until I see him perform live with the band, you just dont know until you witness it live. As for Geoff, he was struggling the last few times I have seen the Ryche and it has now been 21 or 22 times I have seen them live, some of the best shows ever but no recently...

Bear

I conceded that it's YouTube, fan shot, etc. But even in those conditions, "it" is either there or it's not.

Plus, I gave the guy props on his karaoke...he's good...like Arnel from Journey...it just doesn't sit right with me.

Whereas, say Kelly Hansen in Foreigner...he nails it. He brings enough of himself to the game but stays true to the songs.

As a concession, I went to YouTube and listened to LaTorre's karaoke versions of Queensryche songs. My synopsis:

- the dude can sing
- he's pretty much nailing the notes
- he sounds like a tribute band singer...good but obviously being someone else
- to me, he's like Arnel for Journey...obviously talented, but something about his delivery is not sitting right with me...Tate had originality and intensity...LaTorre has neither.

Then, I listened to LaTorre & Rising West live doing " Walk In The Shadows"...

Wow...that was really not good. He was flat on a large part of it, the backing vocals are out of key...the only good thing about it was the band playing the music. I kinda felt sorry for him...maybe he could not hear on stage or something.

I know it's YouTube, fanshot, etc.

But by contrast, I listened to Tate solo from June 7 doing "Jet City Woman" and "Eyes Of A Stranger"...fan shot, YouTube, etc...he nailed it...still the man.

I don't know about this. The last time I heard Tate doing Eyes of a Stranger, he purposely sang it different to avoid the real high notes... Avoiding the real high notes, isn't "nailing it" to me.....Have you heard him try and still sing Queen of the Ryche?? Talk about avoiding notes!!...He was avoiding so many of the high notes in that song the last time I heard him sing it that it completely ruined the song for me....

Queensryche was never as big as Journey. Journey has a dozen radio staples and several Platinum+ albums. Queensryche has one hit single.

IMO, Queensryche will never achieve anything of note without Geoff Tate...for better or worse, he was the one who kept them going.

Probably more importantly, the guys in Journey have proven before, during, and after Perry that they can write good songs without him. They also proved they can sell albums without Perry.

I don't know about this. The last time I heard Tate doing Eyes of a Stranger, he purposely sang it different to avoid the real high notes... Avoiding the real high notes, isn't "nailing it" to me.....Have you heard him try and still sing Queen of the Ryche?? Talk about avoiding notes!!...He was avoiding so many of the high notes in that song the last time I heard him sing it that it completely ruined the song for me....

Ask anybody today to try and pull off something they could do physically 30 years ago....somehow, I think they may try to find ways to avoid the tricky shit just to make it through. It's a little unfair to expect Tate to be able to produce vocals the same way he did when he was a wee lad. Father Time catches up to us all....Tate is still a great singer, though.

I will go farther than Glenn did on that interview: Geoff Tate might as well have been quoted as Mortimer Snerd. Those words I can guarandamtee you were Susan's coming out of Geoff's mouth. It has long been known that Susan had a weird control over Geoff, and the only way to deal with the finances of QR was to blow her up. I also agree with Glenn that the band should clam up and let Susan and Geoff say to the press, "I'm and asshole, I'm an asshole, and furthermore, I'm and asshole,"

Those things said, I have a feeling that the upcoming lawsuit is going to be as ugly as the suit within Gorgoroth. There is going to be a lot of shit flying in that courtroom. And, I will go this far: I have a feeling that Susan and Geoff might have been skimming from the band. If that is the case, do not be surprised that Geoff will do a live CD called, "Geoff Tate, Live from Allenwood, Block C".

Ask anybody today to try and pull off something they could do physically 30 years ago....somehow, I think they may try to find ways to avoid the tricky shit just to make it through. It's a little unfair to expect Tate to be able to produce vocals the same way he did when he was a wee lad. Father Time catches up to us all....Tate is still a great singer, though.

Oh, I agree with you regarding his age etc...., but at the same time, then one can't make the comment that Geoff Tate "nailed it". Nailing it means singing it exactly as it was meant to be sung, high notes and all...... He's still a great singer, but he definately does not "nail" the old stuff...

Oh hell no...you made that assumption on my comment. I'm referring to those in our community/circles that haven't given a shit about the band in 20 years vs. those that still care.

On the flip slide since you brought it up...I wonder how many people said that Journey would never play before crowds again after Perry left.....

http://www.billboard.com/features/t...eatures/top-25-tours-of-2011-1005641362.story

Fair enough though you can't really compare this to Journey. People go see Journey for nostalgia only. I would not even be surprised if some in attendance had no clue Perry wasn't in the band.

As far as those in the know about QR through the years? Guess time will tell. I think most simply don't care anymore but that's my opinion.

The last time I saw QR I only made it through half the set. Extremely disjointed performance. I think they were touring for Tribe at the time.

I think the one thing that rising west / QR could do is simply ONLY Continue to perform early material which is what I guess they will do. This way some lost fans who do keep up might be interested in checking it out though without Tate it still might be a hard sell.

This has always been the most difficult band to market.

Of course he skirts the high notes...he's 52 years old. Nobody can sing at 52 like they did at 22 or 32 or even 42. Singers are flesh and blood and flesh breaks down. The point is, he alters the melodies and he stays in key and still emits conviction and emotion. That's different than just hitting someone else's 20+ year old notes.

Dio (RIP), Dickinson, Halford (yikes!), Tate...NONE of the masters kept their youthful voices into their 50s+...they all alter/altered melody lines and skirt notes. You can't fault Tate for that...as a singer overall he still sounds very, very good.

The version of "Eyes..." I watched him to was with his solo band and it was piano/acoustic and he nailed it. He knows what he can do and what he can't. If he re-recorded a bunch of old 'Ryche songs in this format, I'd buy it in a minute over anything w/ LaTorre.

Oh, I agree with you regarding his age etc...., but at the same time, then one can't make the comment that Geoff Tate "nailed it". Nailing it means singing it exactly as it was meant to be sung, high notes and all...... He's still a great singer, but he definately does not "nail" the old stuff...

"Nailing It" means staying in key and singing something with conviction while staying true to the melody. Just because a high note/scream is replaced with something lower doesn't mean it's not good or even great. "Nailing It" is making it great and he did, IMO.

I have no vested interest in any of this, but I'm curious where what you said is coming from. Do you have anything to back this up? The last part seems like outright slander. Kind of wondering what he personally did to you to warrant this much hate. I'm with the majority in that the last few albums were pretty bad...and after seeing the American Soldiers tour (which I went to because they played some Rage....) I personally decided I would never pay to see them again. After the Rage set the AS set made me physically ill.....but I still don't have this much emotional investment. Maybe I'm just reading too much into what you said, but it's pretty flat out, isn't it? :)

I will go farther than Glenn did on that interview: Geoff Tate might as well have been quoted as Mortimer Snerd. Those words I can guarandamtee you were Susan's coming out of Geoff's mouth. It has long been known that Susan had a weird control over Geoff, and the only way to deal with the finances of QR was to blow her up. I also agree with Glenn that the band should clam up and let Susan and Geoff say to the press, "I'm and asshole, I'm an asshole, and furthermore, I'm and asshole,"

Those things said, I have a feeling that the upcoming lawsuit is going to be as ugly as the suit within Gorgoroth. There is going to be a lot of shit flying in that courtroom. And, I will go this far: I have a feeling that Susan and Geoff might have been skimming from the band. If that is the case, do not be surprised that Geoff will do a live CD called, "Geoff Tate, Live from Allenwood, Block C".