The Steak Thread

Chromatose

Squid pro quo
Apr 5, 2002
Maryland
I yearn to cook steaks, but I know nothing of them.

What's the tastiest cut for grilling?!

and preparation suggestions? Going to be grilled so favorable marinades or seasonings or sauces to cook with.

I have a preference for New York Strips and sirloin. Roll them in cracked black pepper and wood grill them.... so awesome. Gorgonzola if you so desire is a great compliment.

I yearn to cook steaks, but I know nothing of them.

What's the tastiest cut for grilling?!

and preparation suggestions? Going to be grilled so favorable marinades or seasonings or sauces to cook with.

I only eat the Fillet... best cut, best piece. IMO.

Yeah, fliet is always good. If you wanna do something really outside of the box, roll it lightly in mocha grinds and grill it. It's pretty good. You can actually do the same thing with chicken and tea. Crack open a bag of your favorite tea, mix with some herbs, a little suger, salt and pepper and roast it. You're gonna have a party in your mouth.

Obviously filets are a smart choice, the tenderloin is the classiest part of the cow! but I don't want a sissy tender bland steak I WANT MANLY MEATINESS. Real cow flavor is found elsewhere.

Yeah, fliet is always good. If you wanna do something really outside of the box, roll it lightly in mocha grinds and grill it. It's pretty good. You can actually do the same thing with chicken and tea. Crack open a bag of your favorite tea, mix with some herbs, a little suger, salt and pepper and roast it. You're gonna have a party in your mouth.

I don't like chicken or tea but interesting concept. That's why you wear the big hat.

edit: I think I decided on New York Strip, based on the knowledge earned by my degree at Bovine University.

my favorite marinade that works for anything is enough soy sauce to submerge the meat and then ginger and garlic to taste. I usually use more ginger than garlic. Let it marinade in the fridge for a couple hours and you're golden. I like it most on chicken, but it definitely works for steak too.

Come on Jimmy, let's take a peek at the killing floor. Don't let the name throw you Jimmy. It's not really a floor, it's more of a steel grating that allows material to sluice through so it can be collected and exported.

Indonesian marinade:

- Sweet Soysauce
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- Chilipaste (to your own flavour)
- Galangal (teaspoon) (fresh is best, but dried works fine, too)
- Cuminseed (teaspoon)
- 2 Kaffir Lime Leafs

Traditional:
press the garlic, scrape the galangal, grind the cuminseed and add to the soysauce.
Add chilipaste and stir well.
Tear/ cut the kaffir lime leafs in a few pieces and add to the soysauce.
Add the meat and stir gently.

Other way:
Dump everything into the foodprocessor :Smug:
Add the meat and stir gently.

* Let the meat marinade for atleast a night and stir it once in a while.
* Let it leak out well or scrape the marinade off with a knife, before grilling.
(you don't want the soysauce to burn, it'll caramellize the sugar that's in it.)
* grill on charcoal!

Selamat makan!

I have a simple marinade that I use for my lamb chops as for my sirloin steaks (another great piece is the sirloin,
but I always prefer fillet)

You'll need to go this a day before: but I use Guiness Extra Stour and garlic
the meat tastes- TERRIFIC with this simple marinade.

Basically: I think with a good steak, nothing but good fresh black pepper is needed...
I don;t like any marinade that is too overpowering the wonderful meat flavour...
keep it simple, I say.