The Worse Band(s) You've Ever Seen in a Live Environment

Myopia is known to bring a lot of their friends to their shows too - who else would know how to sing their songs after all? :lol: And as far as the Fates Warning show went, I couldn't handle staying inside that furnace for any band other than Fates - I remember my camera lenses sweating!!!!

God, that gig... I mainly went to that to support the local bands (including Myopia, but mainly Infinite Descent :loco:) and had planned to give my rail spot to someone before Fates came on, since I wasn't quite familiar with them. However, I wound up holding onto it in the end because the heat got goddamn brutal; I had a friend dumping water on me; and I didn't want to wander away and wind up passing out on the floor or something. :erk: Didn't you mention that it actually got to over 120 degrees in there? Eesh...

God, that gig... I mainly went to that to support the local bands (including Myopia, but mainly Infinite Descent :loco:) and had planned to give my rail spot to someone before Fates came on, since I wasn't quite familiar with them. However, I wound up holding onto it in the end because the heat got goddamn brutal; I had a friend dumping water on me; and I didn't want to wander away and wind up passing out on the floor or something. :erk: Didn't you mention that it actually got to over 120 degrees in there? Eesh...

Yeah, I think I saw the thermometer hit 112 or something - it was just unbearable...

I did get some awesome shots that night though!

Forgot about one that was probably the most horrid moment in my 25+ years in going to live shows... Methods of Mayhem at Ozzfest (the one with Pantera). I had never heard the band before and was totally blown away of how bad they were. Every aspect of the performance was gruesome...

On another note... Amazing how experiences can differ. I consider D:S:O's performance at Progpower absolutely stellar. One of the highlights of the year for me.

Alestorm was pretty bad when they opened for Tyr a couple of years ago. Sloppy, and an hour of the same song (with different names) got very, very tiring.

There was also some local band that opened for Kamelot some time back that was TERRIBLE. Sloppiest band I've seen live. I don't remember what they were called, though. Met-Al probably does. That same gig also had a band with no drummer. The band played to drum tracks. They weren't bad, though. The invisible drummer was just odd. Again, can't remember the name.

I consider D:S:O's performance at Progpower absolutely stellar. One of the highlights of the year for me.

Ditto. Their set was a life-changing experience for me. :D

Do local deathcore bands tacked onto power metal bills count?

*bangs head on desk*

And yet.. the management refuses to see the problem with this. I HATE THIS SHIT. I came to hear about dragons and hobbits, not see some jackass growl themself hoarse while their drummer bangs on a Walmart drum kit!

Skipping over bands that I just don't care for in the first place, I'd say the worst performance I've seen in a while was Paul DiAnno at Jaxx last year. Unneccessary delays, technical difficulties, a voice that's pretty much shot and a belligerent attitude made for an all-around awful performance.

My guitarist went to this show. He said it was pretty sad, because the sound dudes kept getting the levels wrong and Di'Anno was pissed.. but then I saw him in Baltimore and the same thing happened.

it is interesting that people only chose bands they dont like...my list has bands that I consider myself a big fan of....

Nevermore - saw them with COB / Hypocracy / Dummy Burger. I am not a fan of the band but usually with veteran bands like this live they can hold my interest. Nevermore could not. They plodded slowly through thier never ending set almost making me want to pull out my eyes and ears.

Powerglove - the novelty wore off after 2 minutes. Music and live they are a joke and dont deserve to even be on any tour.

Swashbuckle - saw them on the Pagan Fest Tour 2. Another band that is a total gimmick that has zero talent live or on disc. With so many other talented bands out there....it is sad that these guys get any shows. Basically a generic death metalish band wearing pirate outfits.

Seven Witches - super generic live and musically.

Finntroll - the second tour they seemed to be just walking through the motions. The first time they were amazing but the second time around they just didnt do it for me. I think a weak crowd also had a lot to play with this too but the band kind of just stood there and it seemed like ever comment and move was just rehearsed.

Pagan's Mind - musically dull and they followed it up perfectly live. The longest hour that year. It just seemed like one long song that never ended.

Eluviete - the first time they blew me away but when the twins left the band the second time around it was just a bunch of people standing on stage playing music. Zero movement and lack of enthusiasm. After an amazing first time around they will always be compared to that time.

Evile - both times I have seen them they actually bored me. I like them. I have both thier disc but they are the one thrash band that live bores me.

Alestorm was pretty bad when they opened for Tyr a couple of years ago. Sloppy, and an hour of the same song (with different names) got very, very tiring.

There was also some local band that opened for Kamelot some time back that was TERRIBLE. Sloppiest band I've seen live. I don't remember what they were called, though. Met-Al probably does. That same gig also had a band with no drummer. The band played to drum tracks. They weren't bad, though. The invisible drummer was just odd. Again, can't remember the name.

Ditto. Their set was a life-changing experience for me. :D

the band you are thinking of is Something Beautiful. They also played the Alestorm show you were mentioning also.

For most people, I suspect it's combination of the two. Very few people hate performances by bands whose music they love.

What I'm getting at is that I can be objective in terms of my musical taste vs. a live performance. I can hate a band's music, but have no problem stating they are a great live band based on my personal criteria.

It would appear that others cannot. That's fine as long as you are being up front about it.

*bangs head on desk*

And yet.. the management refuses to see the problem with this. I HATE THIS SHIT. I came to hear about dragons and hobbits, not see some jackass growl themself hoarse while their drummer bangs on a Walmart drum kit!

*Bangs Head on Desk... TWICE*

What's the big deal? It's about time people realize that they DON'T GIVE A SHIT whether you wanna hear about dragons and hobbits! They want bands that could/would sell tickets. Not saying these bands are necessarily good, but for some reason, a lot of the kids like to go see these types of bands. It brings more people to the show, and that's what they want at the end of the day.

I hate local deathcore bands as much as the next person. But some of them can be good. As a matter of fact, I've seen plenty of good local deathcore bands, that sounded tremendously better than local power metal, heavy metal, prog metal or whatever-doesn't-have-a-growler metal.

I think you have a better time hearing about dragons and hobbits by going to a fantasy-renaissance fest than going to metal shows... :lol:

The absolute worst band I have ever seen live is a band whose music I actually like, Paradise Lost. No other band has done what these guys did to me twice.....put me to sleep! Seriously, I was snoozing away. Thank God Anette woke me up. :)

The other band was UFO. Phil Mogg can't sing anymore. His voice is gone.

The absolute worst band I have ever seen live is a band whose music I actually like. Paradise Lost. No other band has done what these guys did to me twice.....put me to sleep. Seriously, I was snoozing away. Thank God Anette woke me up. :)

YES. This x10,000. Paradise Lost was SO BORING!!!

need to add....

Lullacry - seen them twice. Never seen a band try so hard to be metal. Musically they are super generic and thier songs are not catchy. Live they go through ever generic move you can on stage with a singer who has zero personality and charisma.

Paradise Lost - I have to agree with thier live show. I am not a fan of any of thier stuff but I was curious to see them before Opeth since they have been around for a while and they were really dull. Some bands can pull off the just standing there on stage but they had zero pressence on stage.

Tesla - saw them back in 2007 or something in Cincinnati... way to many ballad songs for me. Walked out on them.
Ted Nugent - This show I just went to just to go to a ted nugent show thinking it would be a good experience like getting to see rush for the first time. I was just bored during his performance so I left especially after having to put up with his political support crap (i hate it when bands bring politics to concerts, i hate politics in general too). Bogarts crowd was quite small too.. it seemed to be just for a large group of soldiers and that was it. Hardly a packed house.

Rush - well, I wouldn't say they were the worst... but I was bored as hell when they played the songs from the Snakes and Arrows album in 2007 in cincinnati other then those songs they were brilliant. Not to mention this was the leg whee they didn't do 2112 i believe. Might see them again when they come to Greensboro this year on the moving pictures/classics tour.

I hate local deathcore bands as much as the next person. But some of them can be good. As a matter of fact, I've seen plenty of good local deathcore bands, that sounded tremendously better than local power metal, heavy metal, prog metal or whatever-doesn't-have-a-growler metal.

One of the deathcore bands I'm referring to were actually great when I saw them open for SymX in 2008 - they had fantastic energy and a sense of humor (the vocalist proclaimed after their first song, "It's official! SEVEN PEOPLE like us!"). Then they got a different singer and are just completely terrible now. I walked away from seeing them open for Sonata thinking, "wow, that was awful, who were they?" and then being completely horrified when I found out it was a band I had appreciated the year before. Mehhh.

Finntroll - the second tour they seemed to be just walking through the motions. The first time they were amazing but the second time around they just didnt do it for me. I think a weak crowd also had a lot to play with this too but the band kind of just stood there and it seemed like ever comment and move was just rehearsed.

I could barely pay any attention to them during Finnish Metal. I want to say that this was because Moonsorrow and Swallow the Sun thoroughly kicked my ass and they'd be tough to follow, but a) I enjoy Nifelvind on disc far more than what I saw of them live; b) I saw Primordial follow Moonsorrow almost flawlessly the year before; and c) the fact that they're headlining the next Finnish Metal tour is actually putting me off going, even though I'd like to see Ensiferum and Barren Earth at some point. :/

*Bangs Head on Desk... TWICE*

What's the big deal? It's about time people realize that they DON'T GIVE A SHIT whether you wanna hear about dragons and hobbits! They want bands that could/would sell tickets. Not saying these bands are necessarily good, but for some reason, a lot of the kids like to go see these types of bands. It brings more people to the show, and that's what they want at the end of the day.

I think you have a better time hearing about dragons and hobbits by going to a fantasy-renaissance fest than going to metal shows... :lol:

Yeah, see, that would make sense if the metal-core bands BROUGHT PEOPLE OTHER THAN THEIR PARENTS. :/

When a band like Hammerfall comes to town, people come in DROVES. There is a sea of nerds, and they clear out the moment "Jimmy and the Blood Demons" come out to scream and beat their instruments. It's just not good marketing. That being said, there are very few power/traditional/prog metal bands, locally. I guess you have to work with what you've got, but this has become pretty annoying.