Turisas cancels ProgPower USA appearance

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
So I emailed Turisas’s booking agent early this morning to notify him that I would be sending his deposit now (a full month ahead of the contractual obligation date). His reply:

“Sorry, they aren’t coming. Their album was pushed back so they aren’t coming over till next year.”

What? That’s it? Where you planning on telling me?

“I just found out last Friday.”

Uh….yeah.

I requested a statement from them with an explanation for the fans. I was told it would come today. Nothing arrived. I emailed twice more during the day asking and did not receive a reply. I have no idea if one is coming tomorrow or not. I’m in the dark just like everyone else. All I can do is apologize and hope they give the fans a better explanation than I got. I do not feel it is fair to withhold the news with tickets on sale, so I’m going public now instead of waiting. If I keep a single person from being pissed off, then I have done my duty.

This business can kick you in the nuts at anytime.

Anyhow, I do not want the donations go to waste, nor do I want anyone to think I just pocketed them. Blind sponsorship bids are still being honored.

Unfortunately, it is simply too late to look for a replacement from abroad. After careful consideration of all my realistic options, I have decided to invite Blackguard to join Friday’s roster. They will perform in the 2nd slot after Illusion Suite. They are a fantastic live band with amazing energy. If you give them a chance, I guarantee they will win you over.

Thanks for your understanding and support. I'll continue to tell you like it is until I retire the Hawaiian shirt.

The new schedule for Friday:

Kamelot 11:00 – 12:30
Nocturnal Rites 9:15 - 10:30
Tyr 7:45 - 8:45
Seventh Wonder 6:15 - 7:15
Leaves’ Eyes 5:00 - 5:45
Blackguard 3:45 - 4:30
Illusion Suite 2:30 - 3:15

The ProgPower USA XII video announcement will follow immediately after Kamelot.

So let me get this straight...the Turisas contact YOU about wanting to come to the festival and less than 6 weeks later back out???? WTF?

While Blackguard isn't exactly Power OR Prog, they're a GREAT live band (I've seen them twice) and will get the crowd going a little more if nothing else. I reccomend the song "This Round's on Me" for anyone who hasn't heard them yet.

Amusing Story: When I went to see Epica for the first time, all the local bands were duds. I didn't have any friends with me, so I wasn't having a very good time, just standing and waiting for Epica to take the stage. Then Blackguard comes out with their wild, energetic stage style. Being a metalhead, I of course start headbanging on the first song. At some point during their set, the lead singer came over to where I was standing by the railing and puts his foot up on it, catching some of my hair underneath it. All I could think was "Okay, NOW this concert is awesome!" I only wish I had had a chance to thank him on my way out, but the merch tables were mobbed, and I had class in the morning.

So let me get this straight...the Turisas contact YOU about wanting to come to the festival and less than 6 weeks later back out???? WTF?
That's some pretty poor planning on the part of the band/management/their booking team/whoever dropped the ball on their side. Very disappointing, and I'd imagine it's a double-sized kick in the nuts from Glenn's perspective, since Turisas was probably going to help drive single day ticket sales for Friday.

That is 100% correct..signed contract and all.

well that is freaking awesome!!! /sarcasm

Never heard Blackguard, their one album has not gotten good reviews at all. I guess I will d/l it to see what I think...

This just bites...The crapness never ends for you Glenn...

I'm speechless here. I saw the email and I'm just stunned. They seem like a good bunch of dudes, but this is completely unprofessional. It seems they just expected you to know for some reason. Either they're really badly managed or just ignorant, or something else I'm not thinking of.

I'm speechless here. I saw the email and I'm just stunned. They seem like a good bunch of dudes, but this is completely unprofessional. It seems they just expected you to know for some reason. Either they're really badly managed or just ignorant, or something else I'm not thinking of.

The band probably has no clue about this situaiton.

“Sorry, they aren’t coming. Their album was pushed back so they aren’t coming over till next year.”

What? That’s it? Where you planning on telling me?

“I just found out last Friday.”

Uh….yeah.

Honestly - you'd think they* were just canceling dinner reservations, with that nonchalant sort of attitude. And THEY wanted this to begin with. I don't get it.

Glenn - you have my utmost respect for staying professional when people act like complete asshats. Glad you were able to work out a replacement so quickly too. Not familiar with that band, but I will be. :)

*they being management, not the band

I would think as much. My favorite part (and by no means am I glad this happened I'm quite bummed) is that they said they only knew since Friday. Well...that's a lot of days to be able to send a simple email. I know people who use that sort of excuse all the time, and boy does it irk me.

well that is freaking awesome!!! /sarcasm

Never heard Blackguard, their one album has not gotten good reviews at all. I guess I will d/l it to see what I think...

Venom-- Blackguard used to be Profugus Mortis-- one of the dudes or more used to frequent the Braveboard before they got 'big'.

They are from Ontario or Quebec.

I'm going regardless but Turisas was such a great addition :(

Seems pretty unprofessional how this is being handled by their management.

I was going to say the same thing. When I interviewed Olli a few weeks ago for this year's program, he was curious as to how the festival was, types of bands, etc., which showed me some true interest in the festival. However, he didn't say much about the whole "approaching Glenn" thing, only something along the lines of "we figured this would be the right environment and the right situation for us to kick-off our US tour. I hope the majority of the fans are happy with who the "mystery band" is."

For fucks sake can somebody have an ounce of
profesionalism these days..
I`ll agree with Glenn that the band probably has no idea that their management cancelled this on them..........

These guys looked interesting as well :(