Very sad......

Aug 31, 2004
Well.....I was reading something in relation to Pain Of Salvation.....and found a link to a topic about a news article interview with Daniel Gildenlow. I was reading it.....and it made tears well in my eyes for a second.

Translated by one of the remedylane.com forum members from a recent interview(the key part is highlighted):

Daniel Gildenlow said:
DANIEL REFUSES TO TRAVEL TO THE US

Right now, the Flower Kings are on tour through the US. Daniel Gildenlöw from Pain of Salvation in Eskilstuna should’ve been with them. But he’s sitting at home, trying to get well. Sick-leave is, however, only the official version of his defection.
- The real reason is of course that, nowadays, you have to leave your fingerprints to get into the US, says Daniel Gildenlöw.

- And that’s exactly where the limit goes for what a nation can demand of other nation’s citizens.
Daniel explains that he and the members of Flower Kings reasoned about this already during the last tour that the group did through North America.
- Back then it was loosely spoken about that there probably would be demanded within a near future, that everyone who was to visit the US would have to leave their fingerprints. And we were all pretty much in agreement that we would not come back if it really turned out that way.

GOES AGAINST ALL OF HIS PRINCIPLES
Most in agreement was Daniel, so it turned out.
- This really goes against every principle in my body and what guarantees are there for the sitting regime in the US not to distribute the fingerprints further? Maybe you could end up in the register of the Israeli security police.
Daniel doesn’t trust the Bush-regime. Even so, he did what he could do get a chance to travel with the others in the Flower Kings.
He phoned the American embassy to see if there was a possibility of getting in with a regular tourist-visa, and got the answer that you then had to give your fingerprints on the flight in to the country. With a work-visa, you’d might get to leave your prints to the American embassy.

“PEOPLE DON’T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT IDEALS”
- This was easily the toughest days in my life, and the guys in Flower Kings didn’t get all too happy, obviously.
- But what am I supposed to do? I perceive it as one of the really great problems in the world today. People have ideals but don’t give a shit about them when it really matters.
Daniel speaks about an experiment with principles that was made at the upper secondary school in Eskilstuna. The students should stand on a square either marked “yes” or “no”, and the question was, back then, 10 years ago, about who could imagine themselves paying more than 10 kronor (about €1 or $1,36) for a litre of gasoline.
- There was me and one other guy who stood on the yes-square. All of the others said “no way”.
How many stands firm with that principle today?
- The single person’s acting is important.
To Daniel, the standpoint means considerable monetary losses. To Pain of Salvation, as well.
- We had a US-tour planned for this autumn. We are forced to cancel it. We’ll have to think back on the previously completed sweep through Europe instead.
Even though most of the members of Pain of Salvation had a cold during some period on travelling foot through Europe. But the audience in France, Holland, Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Hungary and Turkey made sure that the band had a good time.
- We got the opportunity to feel like rock-stars everywhere. Really. It was fantastic.
- And it turned out very well, too. Despite the colds.
Daniel himself came home to Eskilstuna with an ear inflammation and is taking penicillin right now. So even if he hadn’t been bothered by principal standings, it would obviously had been against the doctor’s recommendations to go on tour with the Flower Kings.

A BOOK FOR PRESIDENT BUSH
The most important reason is nothing he wants to keep secret.
If there was one thing he could wish right now, anything at all, it would be for the American president to get his hands on a book about e.g. the rise and fall of the Roman empire.
- Or the fall of the Soviet Union. It’s closer in time but is just as legitimate.
- All empires, through all times, have fallen because of the disintegration from the inside. And this constant inhibition of freedom, and where the government is forced to spend more money on defence than on the well-being of the population.
Daniel doesn’t understand how the American population can fail to see the pattern. All this work to try and create safety, obviously, only increases the fear even more.
- I think that the three latest Star Wars-movies are so heavenly in their regime-critique. First, I just thought that it was a coincidence that there seemed to be so many similarities between the movie’s Empire-builders and the US as a nation. But now, in the latest, or last, part it’s overly apparent. It has to be a question of critique. And the diplomat who turns its back to the senate in despair: “So this is how we give up freedom – with resounding applause?”

So....:cry:

I really applaud Daniel for standing up for his beliefs (who does these days?). From other posts in the topic, it seems that these "fingerprint" things have been implemented recently, as in since last year's Prog-Power, I guess.

On the other hand......I'm really sad that this means no Pain Of Salvation US tour. I wasn't even thinking there would be one anytime soon, and now I find out they were going to tour the US but it's cancelled before it even got off the ground.

I can honestly say I feel bad for Pumpking because he seems to truely love this band, and I know it would crush me to find that, Demons and Wizards was doing a US tour and then cancel because Hansi couldnt come over. So my feelings go out to the young Pumpking

PoS is among my favorite bands of all time, literally on top 3. As much as I am extremely upset for not being able to see them in the USA, I have to say that I agree ONE HUNDRED percent with his ideals and beliefs. I believe it is pathetic that the US requires fingerprints even from tourists, who are not even citizens in the country. That to me is just crossing the line, but then again I'm just a foreigner who lives in the US and sees things in a very different way than most American citizens, unfortunately. Well, I guess that's how life is....

On the book to President Bush, I would recommend those books to actually most of the Americans who think the US is "unstoppable". I'm not trying to cause more arguments and "crisis" in the messageboard, but it's getting to a point in which many people in this country should open their eyes a little bit. This is a beautiful country, a great fucking place to live. I would hate to see this empire falling, I really mean it.

people can have any ideals they want, but ill take the security of non-citizens leaving fingerprints over unregulated peoples.. hell, make them give dna.

Good thing that attitude wasn't so prevalent 400 years ago, or a few Injuns would be the only ones here now. Waitaminnit... maybe that wouldn't be so bad. :b

Just one question: exactly how much difference do you think this fingerprinting really makes? Just like most of the "extra" airport security I've seen, IMO, it's just a pointless show to make some people feel safer. Then again, I suppose I could be accsued of being a bit biased.

Shaye

I've actually only been listening to Pain Of Salvation for about five months.....and I already am about to complete my collection of their entire discography with 'Entropia' and '12:5.' Whoever has that quote from Daniel that's something like "If you want a band that sounds like your favorite band we're not for you, but if you want something that will make you completely forget your favorite band ever existed, that's our music." Well....it's completely right.

bhcompy said:
people can have any ideals they want, but ill take the security of non-citizens leaving fingerprints over unregulated peoples.. hell, make them give dna.

What really makes you think that it will make the USA safer? Are the foreigners that come to the US to visit really that different than you to deserve a different treatment? How can you prove me that it will be a person from a different country that will possibly commit an "act of terrorism"? Don't you think there could be a fucked up American that could do such a thing? Or do you really think that an American would never do such a thing?

If the foreginers have to get their dna taken like you said, I really hope they would take yours as well, for you are no different than any of them. And for that, deserve the same treatment, good or bad.

While Daniel has a valid core point, he's still absolutely insane.

Israeli security police?

Ten year old gas price predictions?

WHAT?

... and is his picture in his passport? Is his FACE somehow less of a privacy issue than his fingertip?

While im not crazy about it.... If it keeps us safer.. im all for it.papers id's can be forged... fingerprints can't.Does he think that Bush will go after him??? is he that fuckin paranoid.. does he have something to hide? if we can't control illelgal immigration ,we sure as hell can control this .I am by NO MEANS a Bush supporter...but damn man get yer head on straight...Israeli security...LOL

AngraRULES said:
Do you think it really makes the country safer, though?
It doesn't matter, it's the rules. If you want to go to a foreign country you have to abide by their rules. If you can't do that than you stay home. Daniel made the right decision for himself I guess, but unfortunately his fans in the US are the ones that get hurt.

Britt

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE. I've had so much of this 'principle' bullshit I'm about ready to puke. Fuck right off. If that pansy ass doesn't want to give his lousy fingerprints, then I'd like to know what the fuck he's hiding from. Get real. 19 hijackers on September 11th all used real, though illegally obtained driver's licenses. Those can be faked. Fingerprints cannot. Some of those people were already known to the US security agencies responsible for tracking them. Something as simple as this minor 10 second inconvenience could have saved 3000 innocent lives. Grow the fuck up. He doesn't like it? Too fucking bad.

And another thing, consider this (though I know none of you will be objective enough to do this):

3000 innocent men, women, children, moms, dads, sons, daughters, cousins, best friends, grandmothers, neighbors, and co-workers all KILLED because of some small band of wackos who don't like our freedom, our prominent religion, and our prosperity. For what?!? What harm would it do for them to just stay the fuck in their own country and do what the fuck they want without spreading misery to the rest of the world. So our government, charged with protecting its citizens, comes up with a few utterly simple, fast, easy security measures, and all you people can do is bitch because some fucking rock band won't be playing in your local club anytime soon?!?!?

Here's a fucking idea. Why don't you all start a damn petition to get this simple, rational rule changed. Then go solicit signatures from all the 5000+ children that became ORPHANS on 9/11.

WHERE ARE YOUR FUCKING PRIORITIES?????

Life. Music. They're both great, but if I had to choose.....

Duh.