Very sad......

adaher said:
What really scares me about those who criticize the bias of US private media is that they tend to hold up government media as the ideal. Yikes!
not sure who you mean about that, but i was saying all news is biased.

Pellaz said:
Nope. City of God was based on one (presumably small and self-contained? let's hope!) ghetto area, but as Angrafan pointed out, your government was concerned that the wrong message would get out about Brazil from people generalizing from what's portrayed in the movie. (I HAVE to assume things aren't like that all over Brazil, or people wouldn't see Rio as a tourist mecca. :))

What I tried to say was that whether it was a true or a fictional story, you shouldn't assume that the whole country was like that. I am glad that you said that you don't assume things are not like that all over Brazil. It is really just one small and self contained ghetto (very ghetto) area of Rio.

I just saw today on this month's issue of Blender magazine (not that I read it) an article regarding Brazil's ghetto clubs and the slums (like City of God) and apparently all it talked about was how much drug traffic, violence, guns and sluts. I still have to read the whole thing, but since I know it's happened before and it happens all the time they probably are assuming that the whole city of Rio de Janeiro is like that. It made me wanna puke.

Silent Song said:
Blender isn't exactly the most trusty of sources of information, that's for sure.

I know that. I was actually in a store flipping through the pages to see what they were talking about two bands that I like. System of a Down and Coldplay. And then all of a sudden I see the whole thing on Brazil...

It's not like I'm a reader of that mag anyway... lol

AngraRULES said:
What really makes you think that it will make the USA safer? Are the foreigners that come to the US to visit really that different than you to deserve a different treatment? How can you prove me that it will be a person from a different country that will possibly commit an "act of terrorism"? Don't you think there could be a fucked up American that could do such a thing? Or do you really think that an American would never do such a thing?

If the foreginers have to get their dna taken like you said, I really hope they would take yours as well, for you are no different than any of them. And for that, deserve the same treatment, good or bad.

I agree. There is too much security in this nation, and it is managed by not always the best of people, with too much mindless aggression, all billed as 'ok' for 'the cause'. And what will they do with the info once they have it? Too many '1984' and 'Animal Farm' questions here I guess. In boxing, it is said that the best referee is the one you never see, but who still controls the match adequately.

A huge tragedy of all of this is for PoS, or any band, to cancel a tour because of all of this.

metal71 said:
And another thing, consider this (though I know none of you will be objective enough to do this): 3000 innocent men, women, children, moms, dads, sons, daughters, cousins, best friends, grandmothers, neighbors, and co-workers all KILLED because of some small band of wackos who don't like our freedom, our prominent religion, and our prosperity. For what?!? What harm would it do for them to just stay the fuck in their own country and do what the fuck they want without spreading misery to the rest of the world. So our government, charged with protecting its citizens, comes up with a few utterly simple, fast, easy security measures, and all you people can do is bitch because some fucking rock band won't be playing in your local club anytime soon?!?!? Here's a fucking idea. Why don't you all start a damn petition to get this simple, rational rule changed. Then go solicit signatures from all the 5000+ children that became ORPHANS on 9/11. WHERE ARE YOUR FUCKING PRIORITIES????? Life. Music. They're both great, but if I had to choose.....
Duh.

Your quote: So our government, charged with protecting its citizens, comes up with a few utterly simple, fast, easy security measures...

It would be fine if it were that simple, straightforward and well implimented. It doesn't happen to be that way though. The Dept. of Homeland Security hasn't done all that great of a job at keeping security AND people's rights from being stomped on. There are too many rights that they ignore that don't have to be ignored. Yes 911 was a tragedy, but to keep piling up more and more security measures just to make everyone feel good isn't necessarily an answer. But anyway....

Relax ok? YOUR point is well taken, but those who disagree with you aren't necessarily idiots as you have indicated. They have their reasons for their opinions as do you, and they don't necessarily happen to be uninformed knuckleheads as you are charging.

Still, coming from someone from a country that until recently had outlawed satellite dishes, it's hard to take this newfound concern for liberty seriously.

I hate the Patriot Act, but I also have a sense of proportion. There are far greater outrages that we've grown used to, one of them just recently in the news: the fact that your home isn't safe from the government if someone with more money comes along promising better tax revenues.